PDA

View Full Version : Big Banger ALU Power and NXT Stringing Issues

HuskerG
03-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Recently started using NXT Tour/Max mains and Big Banger ALU Power in the crosses. NXT 62 mains and 58 Banger crosses. Loved the setup except for breaking strings after about 2 matches until recently. Created almost a pocket like feel. Had 2 racquets restrung for a tournament and both seemed extremely tight and created an amazing amount of pinging from the strings. I simply had no feel like the previous racquets and almost felt like I was playing with a board instead of a racquet. A few questions

1. How with the same setup and same stings would the racquets play so differently? Is there different ways to string racquets that this would happen? (All racquets were strung at my club)

2. Have recently developed some wrist pain. Is this a common sympton of using poly strings?

3. What should Big Banger be strung at if strings feel to tight? I went with 58 for the reduction they say to use. Should I go lower?

YULitle
03-12-2008, 11:45 AM
1. Different Machine. Different stringer. Perhaps you played with the second go-round racquets sooner after they were strung than the first time you had them strung.

2. Sadly, everything could be a symptom. But, poly has that reputation.

3. Something less than when it felt tight. Obviously. :D

HuskerG
03-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks on the feedback. I did play with the racquets about a day after they were strung were others probably set for a few days. Does letting the racquets sit make that big of a difference?

samej07
03-13-2008, 09:44 AM
all poly strings have a reputation for loosing tension really fast. i string with all poly (Technifibre RedCode) and i dont drop the tension on them at all. normally it is several days to a week after i string them before i play with them (since i only change rackets when they break). by stringing them at the same tension i used to string syn gut with i know that by the time i play with them the string will have lost alot of tension and be right where i want it.

so after a long drawn out story, ;) yes leaving the rackets to set can make a difference on the tension of the poly.

HuskerG
03-13-2008, 02:20 PM
All good information. I guess I can infer that poly looses tension alot more than regular string. I will make sure and let my racquets sit for at least a few days before playing with them next time. I am going to drop the tensions a little to make sure though.

hyogen
03-13-2008, 02:45 PM
i bet this is somewhat like Federer's setup of Ngut mains and Alu crosses. I still haven't heard anyone give an answer as to why you'd want poly in the crosses.

at least in my own feeble mind, it makes sense to have poly in mains (for topspin, slice), and soft strings in the crosses for ball pocketing/feel.

samej07
03-13-2008, 03:43 PM
i bet this is somewhat like Federer's setup of Ngut mains and Alu crosses. I still haven't heard anyone give an answer as to why you'd want poly in the crosses.

at least in my own feeble mind, it makes sense to have poly in mains (for topspin, slice), and soft strings in the crosses for ball pocketing/feel.

Exactly my thoughts hyogen. i cant figure out the gut mains and poly crosses. i played one set of attaction mains and pht crosses once and it felt pretty much the same as if i put pht mains and attraction crosses. the only difference was that with attraction in the mains the string barely lasted me 3 sets. with it in the crosses i can play for about 5 days at 2hrs a day before it breaks. :confused:

hyogen
03-13-2008, 03:47 PM
you lost me at pht. what is pht.

a poly?

samej07
03-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Sorry, Pro Hurricane Tour.

;)

rorourboat320
03-13-2008, 07:47 PM
yeaa luxilon has had that affect on some people and i experienced that too. i switched to pro supex strings which IMO are much better.

hyogen
03-13-2008, 09:30 PM
I wonder why no pros use this string...maybe bc they don't sponsor players? lower cost operation model?

Double Fault
03-14-2008, 03:39 AM
Poly has brought me some wrist pain too, but I really like it and don't want to give it up.

hyogen
03-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Exactly my thoughts hyogen. i cant figure out the gut mains and poly crosses. i played one set of attaction mains and pht crosses once and it felt pretty much the same as if i put pht mains and attraction crosses. the only difference was that with attraction in the mains the string barely lasted me 3 sets. with it in the crosses i can play for about 5 days at 2hrs a day before it breaks. :confused:

ok weird... i have posted this on my own thread but last night I strung my Pure storm tours with....

luxilon rough mains at 54lbs, NXT crosses at 56lbs. - I did NOT like this setup. not enough power, not enough spin...felt boardy to me. couldn't serve with it... :-/ I thought this setup was going to be the better of the two also...
maybe it was because I had only slept 3.5 hours or so last night.

My 2nd PST I strung with NXT mains at 66lbs, Luxilon rough crosses at 64lbs. I actually liked it... not the best setup i've ever had. didn't really feel ball pocketing i don't think...but much better than the previous setup.

I feel like cutting up the 1st setup and putting something new in there tonight...not sure if i should though. I DID just buy 3 sets of babolat vs touch natural gut for the first time.

I'm wondering if I should hybrid it or do a full nat. gut to try it out.

Maybe i'll just cut up the PSGD in my newly acquired used RDX500 and put full nat. gut in there to see what that's like

boojay
03-15-2008, 03:56 AM
Intriguing setup. I just got my NXT tour a couple of days ago and I'm stoked to use it. I have so many hybrid combos to try out that I don't know where to start. First a full job since I know a love a full job of NXT tour. Sweet sweet pocketing.

hyogen
03-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Intriguing setup. I just got my NXT tour a couple of days ago and I'm stoked to use it. I have so many hybrid combos to try out that I don't know where to start. First a full job since I know a love a full job of NXT tour. Sweet sweet pocketing.

i have yet to try the tour. in your experience isn't it better just to go with gut? lasts longer tensionwise..and will end up costing less boojay?

hyogen
03-15-2008, 12:17 PM
My 2nd PST I strung with NXT mains at 66lbs, Luxilon rough crosses at 64lbs. I actually liked it... not the best setup i've ever had. didn't really feel ball pocketing i don't think...but much better than the previous setup.

like the OP, i liked this setup--but as he said I think a lower tension might be better.

OP, can i ask you why luxilon in crosses? is it for power? or durability? or spin? i just can't seem to put my finger on it why people are putting luxilon in crosses. thanks

quest01
03-15-2008, 07:56 PM

Thats what I always do, use poly in the mains and multi or gut in the crosses.

hyogen
03-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Thats what I always do, use poly in the mains and multi or gut in the crosses.

what tensions quest01?

HuskerG
03-17-2008, 01:48 PM
I like the setup because I get NXT feel with the deadness feel and accuracy of Poly in the crosses. Only problems is durability issues. I have no tried poly in the mains and NXT in crosses and to me its horrible. No feel at all and can't feel ball coming off the strings. Not sure what the craze is about poly...