PDA

View Full Version : The Wilson Prototype (A.K.A. the sampras racquet)

Pages : [1] 2

nalk7
03-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Discus anything you know or speculate about this new stick. I know someone in this boards said something about a followup for the ps85/95, that was supposed to be unveiled during the USO. could it be the same stick?

leonidas1982
03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=184990&page=11

drakulie
03-12-2008, 05:15 PM
It is going to be called the Pete Sampras Pro Staff Limited Edition. It will be 90 sq inches, and based on the PS85 and 95 frames. It is due to be released around this Years US Open.

nalk7
03-12-2008, 05:18 PM
yeah i know about that thread, but its in the pro racquets and gear section, i started another one here for the commercial version of the stick, the one we will be able to buy and not the sampras one :p i just thought it would be more appropriate to move this discussion to the racquets board.

HeadPrestige
03-12-2008, 05:22 PM
It is going to be called the Pete Sampras Pro Staff Limited Edition. It will be 90 sq inches, and based on the PS85 and 95 frames. It is due to be released around this Years US Open.

uhm.. where did you get all that information? I am pretty sure that all we know is that a new racket is coming.

drakulie
03-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Just a wild guess. :)

leonidas1982
03-12-2008, 05:30 PM

So far so good.

nalk7
03-12-2008, 05:34 PM
man i cant wait to demo this thing, looks so good :D

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-12-2008, 05:43 PM
no pictures yet?

nalk7
03-12-2008, 05:50 PM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/nalk7/35bclf8.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/nalk7/2hdyydt.jpg

HeadPrestige
03-12-2008, 05:52 PM

thank god it is a reliable source.. now we all know!;)

king of swing
03-12-2008, 05:58 PM

where did you get these pics?
16x18 pattern.....interesting

nalk7
03-12-2008, 05:59 PM
they were on the sampras vs federer racquet thread on the pro racquet and specs board. my guess is a stringer took them

samster
03-12-2008, 06:06 PM
It's 16 x 19. Count the strings.

drakulie
03-12-2008, 06:11 PM
One thing is for certain. Everyone is getting way ahead of themsleves as no one knows anything about wilson releasing this frame or anything like it in the near future. Just because Sampras used it doesn't mean anything.

Duzza
03-12-2008, 06:17 PM
EDIT: never mind

nalk7
03-12-2008, 06:18 PM
actually we do know: http://www.amny.com/sports/am-tennis...,4895406.story
"He's playing a prototype," said John Muir, reached yesterday by telephone in Chicago, where he is general manager of Wilson Racquet Sports. "It's something that we've made and something that we're working on." Muir said he could reveal few other details during the five-minute interview.

"We purposely have done it all black, just because it's a prototype and we're still working on it," he said. "Pete's got to play with it a little more. You need to be a serious player to play that racket. I'm not going to say anything more than that."

Duzza
03-12-2008, 06:18 PM
"He's playing a prototype," said John Muir, reached yesterday by telephone in Chicago, where he is general manager of Wilson Racquet Sports. "It's something that we've made and something that we're working on." Muir said he could reveal few other details during the five-minute interview.

"We purposely have done it all black, just because it's a prototype and we're still working on it," he said. "Pete's got to play with it a little more. You need to be a serious player to play that racket. I'm not going to say anything more than that."

Damn that was fast. Just edited my post after seeing in another thread.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-12-2008, 06:20 PM
the box frame really looks nice. one of my favorite shapes on a racket

BounceHitBounceHit
03-12-2008, 06:20 PM
One thing is for certain. Everyone is getting way ahead of themsleves as no one knows anything about wilson releasing this frame or anything like it in the near future. Just because Sampras used it doesn't mean anything.

Drak-did you try the K Blade Tour? For some reason I thought of you when I hit it.........CC

nalk7
03-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Damn that was fast. Just edited my post after seeing in another thread.

LOL dont worry we got u covered

Fedace
03-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Why does this racket look just like the old Vincent prostaff he used to use ?? N-code is far superior racket anyway.

aceroberts13
03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Oh man I hope I like these; I want like ten of them already!

nalk7
03-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Why does this racket look just like the old Vincent prostaff he used to use ?? N-code is far superior racket anyway.

because its what many players wanted, a true prostaff 6.0 90. about the n-code i think its a matter of taste, i personally prefere the k90, and the ps85.

drakulie
03-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Drak-did you try the K Blade Tour? For some reason I thought of you when I hit it.........CC

I absolutely hated it. I demoed it twice just in case the first demo was a fluke. Made sure on the second demo I got it with a fresh string job. I just did not like anything about the frame. It was really dissapointed.

Did you try it out?? What did you think?

Doesn't say anything other than, "It is a prototype". Which could mean anything, including it won't make it to production.

Chauvalito
03-12-2008, 06:58 PM
http://www.amny.com/sports/am-tennis0312,0,4895406.story

Chauvalito
03-12-2008, 06:59 PM
By Max J. Dickstein, amNewYork Sports Editor | mdickstein@am-ny.com
March 12, 2008

Article tools

Pete Sampras and the victorious Roger Federer were nearing the end of a news conference after their historic tennis exhibition at Madison Square Garden Monday night when a reporter asked the retired American which racket he'd chosen for the match.

Both Sampras and Federer, the world's No. 1 and a 12-time Grand Slam winner, had played with Wilson rackets. But Sampras cracked his aces with a nondescript black stick that was wrapped with purple grip tape -- an apparent throwback to the Wilson ProStaff 6.0 models Sampras used to win his record 14 majors.

So, Sampras was asked, was that an old ProStaff standby in your hand, the predecessor of Federer's newfangled Wilson K Factor [K] Six.One Tour 90?

Related links
"So you think," Sampras said with a coy smile.

"It's not the racket I played with early on [in my career]," said Sampras, who stopped playing in 2002, but played several exhibitions in the past year. "I need the technology to help me play against these guys."

Sampras and Wilson are developing a new racket, amNewYork learned Tuesday. Sampras was trying it out during Monday's NetJets Showdown, which Federer won 6-3, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (6).

Steve Hilliard, the head stringer at Mason's Tennis Mart, handled an order to string three of Sampras' prototypes Monday morning, before Sampras practiced for the exhibition.

Hilliard said Tuesday that he couldn't help but compare these mysterious black rackets to their counterpart, Federer's K Factor, which came out last year.

Sampras' prototype had a few cosmetic differences, Hilliard said.

"It had a slightly different finish around the throat -- flatter, without the indentations," Hilliard said. "It was customized with lead tape. Some of the parts were different than what I see on the K Factor."

Apart from noting other visual differences, Hilliard said he couldn't say much more about the frame until he could play with it. Muir offered no release timeline.

Pushmaster
03-12-2008, 07:13 PM
That looks lean and mean. I'd sure like to get my hands on one of the prototype's, love the matte black without the graphics.

nalk7
03-12-2008, 07:13 PM
I absolutely hated it. I demoed it twice just in case the first demo was a fluke. Made sure on the second demo I got it with a fresh string job. I just did not like anything about the frame. It was really dissapointed.

Doesn't say anything other than, "It is a prototype". Which could mean anything, including it won't make it to production.

good point, my bad, i certainly hope its produced. we can assume its going to be produced, since he says they are still working on it, i doubt wilson spends all that money if its not being intended for release. (anyways its my guess and could be wrong) ;)

nalk7
03-12-2008, 07:14 PM
That looks lean and mean. I'd sure like to get my hands on one of the prototype's, love the matte black without the graphics.

hell yeah, ive been thinking on re-painting my k90s all black.

J011yroger
03-12-2008, 07:15 PM

Because you couldn't get a drop of pace on the ball no matter how hard you tried?

**ZING**

(Drak, I now consider us even for the two bit pirate comment.)

J

Kierai
03-12-2008, 07:51 PM
"It had a slightly different finish around the throat -- flatter, without the indentations," Hilliard said.

I looked at the pictures and compared them with photos of PS 6.0. The throat resembles that of the PS 6.0.

However, The string 16 X 19 pattern means it's definitely not a PS 6.0 painted black.

Interesting racket. I bet this racket will be everyone's shoping list. Start saving up guys.

Jack & Coke
03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Looks cool..

Just wondering though.. if it's a "Prototype", then couldn't Wilson just make the racket to the exact specs that Sampras likes?

I mean why the lead tape? Why can't Wilson make the racket to what he really wants? Kinda like how Vantage makes customized rackets without all the lead tape.

Not like it's a production run anyways.. It's all experimental "prototype" stuff right?

superstition
03-12-2008, 07:55 PM
It looked like a regular PS 85 with lead tape on it to me (the Madison Square Garden match). It also seemed as if Pete's service was closer to what it was near the end of his pro career. He seemed to serve differently in China against Federer with the larger newer racquet with poly. His strokes may also have been a bit loopier. So, I assumed that he went back to his old PS 85 with gut.

superstition
03-12-2008, 08:01 PM
If Wilson is coming out with a PS 90 that's basically a high-quality (not hollow or light) version of the PS 85, I'll be getting some. I just hope that it will be solid and have enough weight in the handle. It would be good for them to add some weight to the hoop, because everyone shouldn't have to put lead on a racquet to make it work.

aceroberts13
03-12-2008, 08:20 PM
I hope that when they do release this to the public that th graphics have a retro look. I can't stand the k90 graphics. I'd love to replace them with the Wilson kSampras. I am copyrighting that name btw.

hewittfan3
03-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I think it would be cool if they just left it all black like Pete has it

HeadPrestige
03-12-2008, 09:06 PM
It looked like a regular PS 85 with lead tape on it to me (the Madison Square Garden match). It also seemed as if Pete's service was closer to what it was near the end of his pro career. He seemed to serve differently in China against Federer with the larger newer racquet with poly. His strokes may also have been a bit loopier. So, I assumed that he went back to his old PS 85 with gut.

You can tell by looking at the pictures that it is NOT a ps85. The 16x19 string pattern is clear... and not a characteristic of the 85. Also, it is confirmed that he was using a hybrid string set up...

1970CRBase
03-12-2008, 09:17 PM
I hope that when they do release this to the public that th graphics have a retro look. I can't stand the k90 graphics. I'd love to replace them with the Wilson kSampras. I am copyrighting that name btw.

Wilson kStaff Classic 90 :)

1970CRBase
03-12-2008, 09:21 PM
no red yellow pinstripe please.

Rabbit
03-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Wilson kStaff Classic 90

Ladies & Gentlemen, we have a winner in the Wilson "Name that Racket Contest"

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-12-2008, 10:23 PM
wilson kstaff 90 does sound really cool haha it should have like sampras' signature on it haha

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-12-2008, 10:25 PM

i thought the pin stripes looked cool

SimpleSimon
03-12-2008, 10:47 PM

KPete or PistolK

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-12-2008, 11:12 PM
wilson pro pistol classic

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-12-2008, 11:23 PM
maybe theyll even be made in st.vincent haha

thejuice
03-13-2008, 06:03 AM
Wilson KPete Tour 90 or Wilson KPro Staff n90 Pete Sampras Limited Edition 16x19. We can call it the KPSn90PSLE1619 for short. :)

iradical18
03-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Wilson KPete Tour 90 or Wilson KPro Staff n90 Pete Sampras Limited Edition 16x19. We can call it the KPSn90PSLE1619 for short. :)

Awesome. You made me chuckle, kudos to you good sir.

thejuice
03-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Awesome. You made me chuckle, kudos to you good sir.

LOL!!! It was my pleasure!!!

CAM178
03-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Sampras would have no problem winning a few rounds. He's already won 50+ rounds there. He's older and a step slower, but he still serves in the 130's 1st serves, and can still drop 120+ 2nd serve bombs. His spins are just as nasty. Augment that with some nasty strings and newer racquet technology, and the fact that Wimby center court is Pete's 2nd home, and yeah. . . he'd definitely leave some current pros shaking their heads in disbelief. Pete's one of those guys who will always be great. When you hear players talking about levels, Pete is among the gods of tennis in the uppermost echelon.

jcstennis
03-13-2008, 11:03 AM

hah! nice...

then you can start a KPSn90PSLE1619 Club!!!! :)

BreakPoint
03-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Looks cool..

Just wondering though.. if it's a "Prototype", then couldn't Wilson just make the racket to the exact specs that Sampras likes?

I mean why the lead tape? Why can't Wilson make the racket to what he really wants? Kinda like how Vantage makes customized rackets without all the lead tape.

Not like it's a production run anyways.. It's all experimental "prototype" stuff right?
Which is what leads me to believe that this new racquet will see production for consumers. They probably made the prototype with the specs that a normal consumer could use but that was still too light for Sampras so he had to add a lot of lead tape to it.

El Diablo
03-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Prototype is the wrong word. "Mule" is a term engineers use to describe a rough approximation to which one attaches features or modifications to test for the final (or next) version.

BreakPoint
03-13-2008, 12:17 PM
As far as a marketing name, IMO, they need to keep the "ProStaff" name in there somewhere. It's such a well recognized and venerable name for a racquet that almost everyone would immediately know what it is or is supposed to be, as well as know that it's a Wilson racquet. If they don't use the name "ProStaff", they would be wasting the brand equity they have built up and invested millions in over the past 40 years, starting with the "Jack Kramer Pro Staff" woodie in the '70's.

It would be like Head coming out with the next generation of the Prestige or Radical without using either of those names.

sureshs
03-13-2008, 12:19 PM
he'd definitely leave some current pros shaking their heads in disbelief.

Federer would be one of them

saram
03-13-2008, 12:40 PM

Sidetrack: I love your avatar.

Ok--back on track and all about the stick.:)

saram
03-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Prototype is the wrong word. "Mule" is a term engineers use to describe a rough approximation to which one attaches features or modifications to test for the final (or next) version.

Well, since Wilson used the term "prototype" I guess it is the right word to them...:-?

Azzurri
03-13-2008, 12:50 PM
where did you get these pics?
16x18 pattern.....interesting

There is no doubt that is an 18 mm beam.

drakulie
03-13-2008, 03:00 PM
**ZING**

(Drak, I now consider us even for the two bit pirate comment.)

J

RRRRRRRRR, shiver me timbers!

nickb
03-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Its clearly a pure drive painted black...:)

nalk7
03-13-2008, 05:45 PM
There is no doubt that is an 18 mm beam.

are you sure? it looked thinner than federers k90 during the netjets showdown. u might be right tho, im terrible for identifying beam widths. perhaps the black paint makes the racquet look thinner than the white k90:idea:

Azzurri
03-13-2008, 05:49 PM
are you sure? it looked thinner than federers k90 during the netjets showdown. u might be right tho, im terrible for identifying beam widths. perhaps the black paint makes the racquet look thinner than the white k90:idea:

I was actually just guessing, but based on the SV supposedly being more like 18mm than the advertised 17mm, I would think that this new prototype would be as near to the SV as possible (just my guess).

nalk7
03-13-2008, 06:02 PM
I was actually just guessing, but based on the SV supposedly being more like 18mm than the advertised 17mm, I would think that this new prototype would be as near to the SV as possible (just my guess).

actually it does make a lot of sense. i read somewhere that the molds on the st vincent factories were getting worn out, and wouldn't close giving the racquets a 18mm beam width. and since pete was a big fan of them i think its fair to assume this sticks are 18mm. as i said the black paint might make it seem slimmer. thnx for reminding me that little detail :D

Blank
03-13-2008, 06:15 PM
The final racquet that will be released to public may not sport the all black look as the prototype.
But I hope Wilson will keep matte black as the main and base colour.

nalk7
03-13-2008, 06:18 PM
i hope so, in fact i dont really care what color they decide to paint it, as long as its a solid color. not like the wild paintjob on the k90. but yeah my guess is its going to be mainly black, i hope we get the old pinstripes back

Azzurri
03-13-2008, 06:30 PM
actually it does make a lot of sense. i read somewhere that the molds on the st vincent factories were getting worn out, and wouldn't close giving the racquets a 18mm beam width. and since pete was a big fan of them i think its fair to assume this sticks are 18mm. as i said the black paint might make it seem slimmer. thnx for reminding me that little detail :D

oh am so excited at the prospects. I'm giddy!

1970CRBase
03-13-2008, 07:15 PM
The final racquet that will be released to public may not sport the all black look as the prototype.
But I hope Wilson will keep matte black as the main and base colour.

No more riduculous paint jobs. Something like : Cobalt blue W logo on the throat and blue Wilson at the 6 o clock. Blue pws at 3 and 9. Otherwise, all black finish, matte, subtle, understated, quiet, lethal.... I'll have 3 of these :)

BreakPoint
03-13-2008, 07:16 PM
perhaps the black paint makes the racquet look thinner than the white k90:idea:
Yup, as they say, black makes you look thin. :)

1970CRBase
03-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Special edition : Pete Sampras Autograph inside the throat.

Mad iX
03-14-2008, 05:06 AM
KStaff sounds good to me, but I like PS90. So maybe Pete Sampras Pro Staff which would be PSPS.
Either way, I want classic-looking stick with lots of black and devoid of any flashy graphics.

Azzurri
03-14-2008, 07:12 AM
KStaff sounds good to me, but I like PS90. So maybe Pete Sampras Pro Staff which would be PSPS.
Either way, I want classic-looking stick with lots of black and devoid of any flashy graphics.

I doubt they would use the K. K is for Karophite and you would think Wilson uses the same material in the PS 85 for the new 90...just a guess.

Ferrari1190
03-14-2008, 12:36 PM

why? i loved that look. it wasn't boring but classy

BounceHitBounceHit
03-15-2008, 07:44 PM

Interesting, because I thought it felt like a slightly stiffer, slightly more powerful MG Prestige Mid! :) CC

J011yroger
03-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Interesting, because I thought it felt like a slightly stiffer, slightly more powerful MG Prestige Mid! :) CC

I think somebody slipped something into your drink Craig. Or your brain is loosing altitude.

Or you have something going on that I don't, because I most certainly couldn't crack an egg with that thing.

Haven't hit the MG Mid yet, looking forward to it.

J

BounceHitBounceHit
03-15-2008, 08:12 PM
I think somebody slipped something into your drink Craig. Or your brain is loosing altitude.

Or you have something going on that I don't, because I most certainly couldn't crack an egg with that thing.

Haven't hit the MG Mid yet, looking forward to it.

J

From what I've seen of your video and gleaned from reading your posts, we probably approach the game differently. I actually liked the K Blade Tour reasonably well, and thought it had plenty of power. In fact it seemed a bit more powerful than the MG Prestige mid. If I had to pick one over the other between those two, I'd take the Wilson. But luckily I have plenty of K90's!! ;) CC

BounceHitBounceHit
03-15-2008, 08:14 PM
From what I've seen of your video and gleaned from reading your posts, we probably approach the game differently. I actually liked the K Blade Tour reasonably well, and thought it had plenty of power. In fact it seemed a bit more powerful than the MG Prestige mid. If I had to pick one over the other between those two, I'd take the Wilson. But luckily I have plenty of K90's!! ;) CC

Disclaimer: In the interest of fairness I need to acknowledge that I never played the K Blade
Tour 'stock'. I added lead underneath the grip and at 3/9 to weight it up to 347 gms and balanced it 5pts HL (ie just like my K90's!)
CC

J011yroger
03-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Disclaimer: In the interest of fairness I need to acknowledge that I never played the K Blade
Tour 'stock'. I added lead underneath the grip and at 3/9 to weight it up to 347 gms and balanced it 5pts HL (ie just like my K90's!)
CC

Oh, that is cheating, I leaded mine to 353g 7phl, (I suppose our SW would be similar with yours having a slightly higher SW because the balance would count more than the 6g of static weight) and it made the frame into something that one could possibly consider playing tennis with.

What did you string yours with?

http://i2.tinypic.com/6nrifye.jpg

J

stormholloway
03-15-2008, 08:39 PM
As far as a marketing name, IMO, they need to keep the "ProStaff" name in there somewhere. It's such a well recognized and venerable name for a racquet that almost everyone would immediately know what it is or is supposed to be, as well as know that it's a Wilson racquet. If they don't use the name "ProStaff", they would be wasting the brand equity they have built up and invested millions in over the past 40 years, starting with the "Jack Kramer Pro Staff" woodie in the '70's.

It would be like Head coming out with the next generation of the Prestige or Radical without using either of those names.

I'm in strong agreement with this. My only thinking is that they thought the word "staff" sounded a bit outdated, like it was made of wood or something.

They need to keep the name Pro Staff and just add a qualifier like Classic or Original like they've done in the past.

I don't know why people are suggesting that Wilson make this racquet to Sampras' likings. He adds a lot of lead to his frames. He always did. Why would Wilson want to make a frame just because it suits one player? I really can't imagine that they will design this racquet with one retired player in mind considering it will be aimed at the general population.

The mass of the current K90 is fine. They just need to tweak the weight distribution some. Frankly, I don't see what was wrong with the Tour 90. I thought that frame was right on the money.

NLBwell
03-15-2008, 10:05 PM
The Tour 90 was a terrible frame. It didn't feel anything like the PS85 because the weight distribution was screwed up. In fact, it had no feel at all.
I thought I saw a thread where someone had strung up 2 nCodes and 2 black frames for Sampras, so I assumed the black frames were just painted nCodes, I guess maybe not based on this thread. I'm just wondering if the rackets are really going to be significantly different than the n or K 90s, and this is just a marketing gimmick? If they are constructed like the PS85 (and not based on the terrible Tour 90), then they would be.
I liked the idea of a buyer winning a trip to hit with Pete.

BreakPoint
03-15-2008, 10:29 PM
The Tour 90 was a terrible frame. It didn't feel anything like the PS85 because the weight distribution was screwed up. In fact, it had no feel at all.
I thought I saw a thread where someone had strung up 2 nCodes and 2 black frames for Sampras, so I assumed the black frames were just painted nCodes, I guess maybe not based on this thread. I'm just wondering if the rackets are really going to be significantly different than the n or K 90s, and this is just a marketing gimmick? If they are constructed like the PS85 (and not based on the terrible Tour 90), then they would be.
You should go back and read that other thread. I think it's gotten much longer since you last read it with a lot of new info added.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-15-2008, 11:25 PM
man just when i was gonna get some more k90s i hear about the sampras frame now imma hold off for about 6 months haha and maybe ask for the sampras frame for my bday haha

stormholloway
03-16-2008, 01:01 AM

The weight distribution was quite close to the 85 in my opinion. No feel at all? Whatever.

I never understood the hate for the Tour 90. It's the best looking successor to the 85 and plays the closest in my opinion.

Mad iX
03-16-2008, 02:12 AM
Tour 90 and PS85 are quite different for me, but still the closest. N90 was nowhere near and the K90 swings completely different.
I serve better with the 85 but do most other things better with the Tour 90 so had been looking for a stick like the PS85 but with a bit more oomph on the groundies.
I think I've found it with the KBT but will definitely have to try this new Sampras stick.

hoodjem
03-16-2008, 08:11 AM
If Wilson is coming out with a PS 90 that's basically a high-quality (not hollow or light) version of the PS 85, I'll be getting some. I just hope that it will be solid and have enough weight in the handle. It would be good for them to add some weight to the hoop, because everyone shouldn't have to put lead on a racquet to make it work.

I hope they release two models: a 13+ oz. for all you retromaniac gladiators, and a lighter one for all us normal humans who loved the old PS 6.0 85, but have grown "older."

BreakPoint
03-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I hope they release two models: a 13+ oz. for all you retromaniac gladiators, and a lighter one for all us normal humans who loved the old PS 6.0 85, but have grown "older."
Unfortunately, Wilson won't be making any more lighter "Asian" versions of its players racquets anymore after the K-Factors.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=185574

J011yroger
03-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Unfortunately, Wilson won't be making any more lighter "Asian" versions of its players racquets anymore after the K-Factors.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=185574

And girly-men shed a tear the world over ;)

J

Azzurri
03-16-2008, 01:27 PM

J

C'mon Jolly its still a 12 oz frame.:)

Dave M
03-16-2008, 03:19 PM

J

That made me laugh out loud, just cleaning milk off the keyboard now!!!:)

aimr75
03-16-2008, 03:41 PM

yeah, and i thought of it being said with an Arnie Schwarzenegger accent too.. all you guurly men oud der.. made me laugh :)
________
Montana Medical Marijuana Dispensary (http://montana.dispensaries.org/)

BreakPoint
03-16-2008, 04:28 PM

J
You mean like the "girly-men" who need the strength of both of their hands and arms just to hit a backhand? ;) LOL

VikingSamurai
03-16-2008, 04:44 PM
You mean like the "girly-men" who need the strength of both of their hands and arms just to hit a backhand? ;) LOL

BP, you and I have our differences. But this last comment is right on the money mate.. Gave me a great chuckle!.. :)

BreakPoint
03-16-2008, 05:50 PM
BP, you and I have our differences. But this last comment is right on the money mate.. Gave me a great chuckle!.. :)
Glad I was able to put a smile on your face. :)

J011yroger
03-16-2008, 06:00 PM

One and the same.

J

BreakPoint
03-16-2008, 06:02 PM
One and the same.

J
OK, just wanted to be clear whom among us you were referring to. ;)

J011yroger
03-16-2008, 06:29 PM
OK, just wanted to be clear whom among us you were referring to. ;)

Sure thing linguini arms.

J

BreakPoint
03-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Sure thing linguini arms.

J
OK, no problem, angel hair arms. ;)

J011yroger
03-16-2008, 07:16 PM
OK, no problem, angel hair arms. ;)

I think you have me confused with Mussels Marinara.

J

Azzurri
03-16-2008, 07:25 PM

milk??:)

(10 characters)

Azzurri
03-16-2008, 07:28 PM

oh yeaaa. real men have one handed back hand.:)

Shangri La
03-20-2008, 01:33 PM

or, a bigger head version AKA THE K PS 6.0 95

Dave M
03-20-2008, 03:15 PM
milk??:)

(10 characters)

I shall explain, I was drinking a glass of milk (makes you strong you know) and when I read the comment I started to laugh, it's quite difficult to breathe, swallow and laugh at once so I ended up coughing, hence the milk over the keys.I'm ok now though thanks!!:-?

Azzurri
03-20-2008, 03:16 PM

nope. there will no longer be a lighter version of any Wilson racquets.

Azzurri
03-20-2008, 03:18 PM
I shall explain, I was drinking a glass of milk (makes you strong you know) and when I read the comment I started to laugh, it's quite difficult to breathe, swallow and laugh at once so I ended up coughing, hence the milk over the keys.I'm ok now though thanks!!:-?

it was a joke..like you must be baby, since only babies drink meil..a joke.

BounceHitBounceHit
03-20-2008, 07:50 PM

J

Hey, watch it! We girly men are sensitive. ;) CC

Dave M
03-21-2008, 06:15 AM
it was a joke..like you must be baby, since only babies drink meil..a joke.

Ahh got you meaning this time!:oops:

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-26-2008, 08:18 PM
so the date on this rate is estimated to be around the us open?

nalk7
03-26-2008, 08:30 PM
so the date on this rate is estimated to be around the us open?
yeah thats what we believe. someone was saying they heard from a prototype to be released around the USO, (that was before the netjets showdown) so its actually quite possible, since the part of the prototype was already confirmed

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-26-2008, 08:32 PM
cant wait to see what is looks like hope it has the balance of the ps85 and the spin of the k90 it would be awesome

nalk7
03-26-2008, 08:36 PM
cant wait to see what is looks like hope it has the balance of the ps85 and the spin of the k90 it would be awesome

Ill probably end up buying some, but im actually pretty happy with my k90's. if this ends up being the k90's replacement then its good luck for me, cuz ill be buying cheap k90's :D cant really wait to see what it ends up being and playing like

Mad iX
03-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Well going by the current 2-year cycle that all the racket companies are going with nowadays, the replacement for the K90 is due in early 2009.

It would be interesting to see Wilson release two new mids, one marketed by Fed and the other tagged to Sampras. If its proven that Sampras is actually using the same stick he's endorsing (plus lead) I think a lot of fans will be very tempted for sure.
I know I'm not buying anymore for a while. Saving my pennies for this Sampras stick definitely.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-26-2008, 10:44 PM
mad i feel the same way haha right when i was gonna get some back ups for my k90 i hear about the sampras racket

garbage
03-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Wilson, if you are reading this...

PLEASE make a 6.0 95 sq in version of this Sampras stick!

m1stuhxsp4rk5
04-17-2008, 01:54 AM
any news on this racket specs or an actually date this racket will come out

biggsy
04-17-2008, 06:03 AM
always amazes me how these performance racquets gain so much attention. as it says in the article the Wislon guys says that you have to be one heck of a player to play with it as it is so demanding. The times I have gone onto a court to play a guy with a PS85, K90 etc etc ...and they've been pretty useless...grows every year. The Wilson marketing guys must be laughing their heads off!!!...

gsquicksilver
04-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Wilson, if you are reading this...

PLEASE make a 6.0 95 sq in version of this Sampras stick!

wilson did make a ps95 6.0 before. unfortunately, they are discontinued.

HeadPrestige
04-17-2008, 09:25 AM
wilson did make a ps95 6.0 before. unfortunately, they are discontinued.

............. that was his point.. he wants an update of the classic.

fedmanSix.OneTour
04-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Is there really going to be any difference from this and the K90's, to me this sounds like it a hyped up sampras version of federers stick.

could be wrong though....

nalk7
04-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Is there really going to be any difference from this and the K90's, to me this sounds like it a hyped up sampras version of federers stick.

could be wrong though....

Actually were all hoping it retains the original specs of the ps85. Which is totally different from the k90, so yeah were expecting it to be a little different. :D

nickb
04-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Ive got 2 rackets to playtest from wilson....one 85 and another 90. Both with Sampras's signature on them. Review to follow!

Here are the specs (racket 1):

85sqin
17mm
340g unstrung
12pts headlight unstrung
80% graphite 20% kevlar
(seems like a PS85 with different paintjob)

Racket 2:

90sqin
17mm
335 unstrung
11 points headlight unstrung
80% graphite 20% kevlar

Both rackets are just proto's so are both are blacked out with the specs in the throat and the samprass signature on the throat. Will post pics ASAP!

JOKE.

04-20-2008, 10:00 AM
LOL i was waiting for the pic to turn up on the page:)

toughshot
04-20-2008, 10:00 AM
ihateusomuch

04-20-2008, 10:02 AM
ihateusomuch

X2 :)

10 Char

nickb
04-20-2008, 10:03 AM
LOL i was waiting for the pic to turn up on the page:)

It worked....

LOL

Nick :)

Zhou
04-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Your so mean :sad:
April Fools was weeks ago...

04-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Your enter button must be broken by now, you have done this so many times:)

RoddickistheMan
04-20-2008, 10:11 AM
hmmm. I wonder if theyll keep the beam width the same as the ps 6.0 85. If they make the beam 18mm im sure the playing characteristics of this stick will be similar to a k90.

Voltron
04-20-2008, 10:27 AM
It worked....

LOL

Nick :)

Nice going buddy, classy move.

stormholloway
04-20-2008, 10:37 AM
always amazes me how these performance racquets gain so much attention. as it says in the article the Wislon guys says that you have to be one heck of a player to play with it as it is so demanding. The times I have gone onto a court to play a guy with a PS85, K90 etc etc ...and they've been pretty useless...grows every year. The Wilson marketing guys must be laughing their heads off!!!...

Always amazes me how some tool always comes where he isn't welcomed to lecture and degrade people for their racquet selection. We've heard this a thousand times before chump.

superstition
04-20-2008, 11:21 AM

I don't know why people are suggesting that Wilson make this racquet to Sampras' likings. He adds a lot of lead to his frames. He always did. Why would Wilson want to make a frame just because it suits one player? I really can't imagine that they will design this racquet with one retired player in mind considering it will be aimed at the general population.
Nearly every player I've seen with a PS 85 added lead to the hoop. I played with it stock for a few years and then added some lead and the difference was amazing. Too much lead made it too sluggish, but just enough gave me a lot more power and stability.

I am not necessarily suggesting that Wilson make the racquet as heavy as Sampras'. But, what I don't want is a lighter hollow-feeling version of the PS 85 with a flexy 90 sqin hoop. The last Chinese model of the 85 I got had a light handle, an unstable feeling hoop, and lacked the solid feel the 85 is known for. I had to add a lot of lead to it to make it playable.

I just want Wilson to make the racquet feel solid, but without the dead mush feeling of the Tour 90. The handle should be a good weight. I would really like to see a 4 3/4 grip, too.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
04-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Nearly every player I've seen with a PS 85 added lead to the hoop. I played with it stock for a few years and then added some lead and the difference was amazing. Too much lead made it too sluggish, but just enough gave me a lot more power and stability.

I am not necessarily suggesting that Wilson make the racquet as heavy as Sampras'. But, what I don't want is a lighter hollow-feeling version of the PS 85 with a flexy 90 sqin hoop. The last Chinese model of the 85 I got had a light handle, an unstable feeling hoop, and lacked the solid feel the 85 is known for. I had to add a lot of lead to it to make it playable.

I just want Wilson to make the racquet feel solid, but without the dead mush feeling of the Tour 90. The handle should be a good weight. I would really like to see a 4 3/4 grip, too.

what do you think of the k90 if you tried it?

[K]Topspin
05-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Looks like a nice racket. Hopes it comes out soon.

tom_asdelonge182
05-10-2008, 01:49 AM
yeah hope it comes out soon, but more importantly at a price which is less than 250

jazar
06-09-2008, 11:39 PM
hey there people. i have some info on the racket which was come to me straight from wilson.

possible name: k pro staff
head size: 88sq inches
weight: 340g unstrung

BreakPoint
06-10-2008, 12:34 AM
hey there people. i have some info on the racket which was come to me straight from wilson.

Thanks, but how do we know this is legit info? Whom from Wilson gave you this info? Are you a Wilson dealer or a sponsored player?

BTW, any idea when this racquet will be released? And will it be a limited edition or in limited supply?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

Harry_Wild
06-10-2008, 01:29 AM
The new name: Jimmy Connor's Prostaff Original 6.0 90. I heard that the Prostaff 6.0 85 was originally develop for Connors to use. If not; the Chris Evert Prostaff Original 6.0 90! Just kidding around; please don't post any outrages comment on this above!

All black color would be excellent and maybe just while letters for the Wilson Prostaff 6.0 90 on the throat. Fairway leather grip too!

Azzurri
06-10-2008, 07:57 AM
The new name: Jimmy Connor's Prostaff Original 6.0 90. I heard that the Prostaff 6.0 85 was originally develop for Connors to use. If not; the Chris Evert Prostaff Original 6.0 90! Just kidding around; please don't post any outrages comment on this above!

All black color would be excellent and maybe just while letters for the Wilson Prostaff 6.0 90 on the throat. Fairway leather grip too!

Not going to happen, unfortunetly.:(

nalk7
06-10-2008, 11:25 AM
I hope its mate black with gold pin stripes in the same pattern as the ps85 and a golden sampras signature on the throat. 8-)

BreakPoint
06-10-2008, 12:02 PM
I hope its mate black with gold pin stripes in the same pattern as the ps85 and a golden sampras signature on the throat. 8-)
I hope it's hot pink with bright green and purple polka dots. :lol: LOL

nalk7
06-10-2008, 12:07 PM

I take back what I said before, hot pink with green polka dots sounds classier!

jazar
06-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks, but how do we know this is legit info? Whom from Wilson gave you this info? Are you a Wilson dealer or a sponsored player?

BTW, any idea when this racquet will be released? And will it be a limited edition or in limited supply?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

wilson's leading man in the UK provided me with the information. i work for a company who hold one of wilson's largest accounts in the world. the racket will not be available in the UK til early next year. it may be available slightly earlier for you guys in the states, but as wilson are trying to synchronise the launch of their rackets around the world that may not be the case

BreakPoint
06-10-2008, 01:10 PM
wilson's leading man in the UK provided me with the information. i work for a company who hold one of wilson's largest accounts in the world. the racket will not be available in the UK til early next year. it may be available slightly earlier for you guys in the states, but as wilson are trying to synchronise the launch of their rackets around the world that may not be the case
Thanks for the additional info. :)

I guess Sampras found 90 sq. in. to be still too big and wanted something smaller, closer to his old PS 6.0 85. :eek:

obnoxious2
06-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the additional info. :)

I guess Sampras found 90 sq. in. to be still too big and wanted something smaller, closer to his old PS 6.0 85. :eek:

An 87 or 88 sq. in. head would be pretty cool.

BreakPoint
06-10-2008, 03:18 PM
An 87 or 88 sq. in. head would be pretty cool.
Well, according to jazar's info above, it will be 88 sq. in.:

leonidas1982
06-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Hopefully it swings and plays like the PS6.0. K90 is nice and all, but lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-10-2008, 03:27 PM

340 unstrung thats pretty heavy and no more asian versions
hopefully it plays well

fortunecookiesjc
06-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Better not have that lame Karophite marketing crud.. GIMME THEM OLD SCHOOL 80% graphite 20% kevlar!

BreakPoint
06-10-2008, 03:30 PM
340 unstrung thats pretty heavy and no more asian versions
hopefully it plays well
Well, it's still only the same exact weight as the US K90/nCode 90.

superstition
06-10-2008, 05:00 PM
How about black and white glossy zebra stripes and a hot pink grip?

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Well, it's still only the same exact weight as the US K90/nCode 90.

oh yeah i forgot it was the same weight as my k90 kept thinking about the asian k90 so i kind of forgot. cant wait for this to come out.

mraznman
06-10-2008, 08:41 PM

Looks EXACTLY like a KSix-One Tour 90 with a Black Pj.

J011yroger
06-11-2008, 04:00 AM
^^^ I can reccomend you a good eye doctor.

J

BreakPoint
06-11-2008, 04:01 AM
Looks EXACTLY like a KSix-One Tour 90 with a Black Pj.
Well, I guess you're not that familiar with the K90 then. Do you own one? If so, compare your K90 (or nCode 90) with the black prototype in the pic. Especially the throat area:

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/big/K61T90-3.JPG

Azzurri
06-11-2008, 04:58 AM

be honest, the racquet would then match your socks.:shock::)

Azzurri
06-11-2008, 05:02 AM
^^^ I can reccomend you a good eye doctor.

J

ha ha...good one.

Azzurri
06-11-2008, 05:04 AM

Would you be able to ask if the material will be the same as the original 85. If it has some garbage technology, I will not be interested.

BreakPoint
06-11-2008, 10:26 AM
be honest, the racquet would then match your socks.:shock::)
Not my socks, but my undies. :eek: :lol:

Azzurri
06-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Not my socks, but my undies. :eek: :lol:

LOL..that was my first thought, but figured a little over the top. Guess not.:)

VoodooChi|d
06-11-2008, 11:27 AM
LOL..that was my first thought, but figured a little over the top. Guess not.:)

I was really hoping for a ~95 sq inch version... :(

Azzurri
06-11-2008, 04:33 PM
I was really hoping for a ~95 sq inch version... :(

I would have thought a 90 AND a 95 would be appopriate since this the pattern Wilson has followed since 1994. Fear not, if this indeed a newine, I would assume a 95 version would be made.

Tour 90/95
N90/95
K90/95
Just some recent examples.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-11-2008, 05:05 PM
hopefully the 95 is a box beam i like it alot better then the k95's rounder shape.

J011yroger
06-11-2008, 06:23 PM
hopefully the 95 is a box beam i like it alot better then the k95's rounder shape.

Have you ever played a 6.0 95?

J

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-11-2008, 07:12 PM
yeah i tried it out before not a long hit. imo i just felt more comfortable to hold and i just like the shape

jazar
06-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Would you be able to ask if the material will be the same as the original 85. If it has some garbage technology, I will not be interested.

it might be able to, but it will probably be a while before i get the opportunity to talk to the guy again. i should have asked him when i saw him, but he did say it might be called 'k pro staff', which suggests it will be k factor, though i think it would make more sense for it to be based on the original materials

btw people, check out the big auction site (uk version), there is someone selling a st vincent and he wants the bidding to start at £600 (approx. $1200)

Azzurri
06-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Thanks. I hope Wilson does the right thing.

nalk7
06-12-2008, 08:07 AM
karophite black and graphite are probably the same thing, thats why I think they are keeping the k. Anyways who cares what its made out of? If it plays good and you like it, buy it. If you dont then skip it, thats my motto when looking up a new racquet.

Azzurri
06-12-2008, 09:22 AM
karophite black and graphite are probably the same thing, thats why I think they are keeping the k. Anyways who cares what its made out of? If it plays good and you like it, buy it. If you dont then skip it, thats my motto when looking up a new racquet.

Something is different between the PS 85 and the K90. I hope they keep the same make-up to the PS 85 and produce a 90 in head. Karophite is "made up", but maybe the payup needs to be kept the same for the new racquet.

ojingoh
06-13-2008, 01:57 AM
btw people, check out the big auction site (uk version), there is someone selling a st vincent and he wants the bidding to start at £600 (approx. $1200)

Kinda crazy :shock:

BounceHitBounceHit
06-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Something is different between the PS 85 and the K90. I hope they keep the same make-up to the PS 85 and produce a 90 in head. Karophite is "made up", but maybe the payup needs to be kept the same for the new racquet.

I agree there are differences between the PS 6.0 85 and K90, albeit subtle ones. I would be in heaven if Wilson made a 'true' PS 6.0 90. ;) CC

BounceHitBounceHit
06-26-2008, 06:11 PM
BTW, no word on this end regarding this new 'mystery' frame. ;) CC

mypod4900
06-26-2008, 06:42 PM

yeah that nadal is a real weakling:)

the wise wizard
06-26-2008, 06:46 PM
it should be called the "pete staff 85"

BreakPoint
06-26-2008, 06:53 PM
yeah that nadal is a real weakling:)
Nadal is a righty. When he hits his 2HBH, he's actually hitting his normal righty forehand.

In any case, he's still "girly". Haven't you seen his hair and the way he picks his thong out of his crack before every serve? ;-) :lol: LOL

hoodjem
06-26-2008, 06:58 PM
K-k-k-k-kevlar.

That's what's been missing from the Wilson line.

J011yroger
06-26-2008, 08:00 PM
K-k-k-k-kevlar.

That's what's been missing from the Wilson line.

Ummmm both the K and N 90s have Kevlar in them.

J

nalk7
06-26-2008, 08:51 PM

You are correct, you cant expect to have a 90 sqi racquet play the same as a 85. Thats if you want to keep the same exact specs as the predecessor. We also have to take into consideration the fact that graphite is only one aspect of what determines how a racquet is going to function and feel. As I said Karophite Black and Graphite are Probably the same thing, I could be wrong here. Id have to check on the modulus value for the two materials.

BounceHitBounceHit
06-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Any news on this frame from the Wilson Informed/Elite? ;) CC

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-29-2008, 06:30 PM
news on the graphics would be cool

superstition
06-29-2008, 07:24 PM
In any case, he's still "girly". Haven't you seen his hair and the way he picks his thong out of his crack before every serve? ;-) :lol: LOL
How many girls pick themselves before serving? Nadal isn't "girly". Nadal is Nadal. As for his hair, it's hair.

BreakPoint
06-29-2008, 07:43 PM
How many girls pick themselves before serving? Nadal isn't "girly". Nadal is Nadal. As for his hair, it's hair.
How many guys pick themselves before serving?

I don't think most female pros wear thongs when they play tennis, although they probably do wear them off the court. :shock:

Last I looked, more women have long hair and more men have short hair. :)

Player13
06-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Any news on this frame from the Wilson Informed/Elite? ;) CC

news on the graphics would be cool

A release date would also be cool too! Can't wait when Wilson releases the new racquet.

morten
06-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Hope they bring the swingweight down..

shavenyak
07-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Hope they bring the swingweight down..

Hopefully, they won't. This is supposed to be a heavy racket, for us sluggers.

BDAZ
07-08-2008, 06:10 AM
any chance this new "mystery" frame is what replaces the k90? the general 2 year tech window will be up come australian open time. time for some great, new technology that will revolutionize the tennis industry. maybe [K]arophite [X]treme? ten times stronger than original "karophite"? it'll be the KX90 for short.

Cavaleer
07-08-2008, 06:43 AM
I agree there are differences between the PS 6.0 85 and K90, albeit subtle ones. I would be in heaven if Wilson made a 'true' PS 6.0 90. ;) CC

I love the 85 but I hit with the K-Factor and it felt like junk, literally it felt cheap, like the difference between polyester and silk, just cheap.

Hopefully Wilson will stop with all this gimmicky BS and build a true players frame. I don't know why else they'd have Pete involved. He would smell that fake K-Factor, N-Code BS in a split second.

Bottom line, you can't beat graphite for purity and stability. Molecularly, nothing is as stable as Carbon.

However, you can improve the strength and stability/purity of the material by the weave of the carbon fiber. That's what Horacio Pagani did with his most recent Pagani Zonda F. That's what Formula 1 teams do with their cars.

Hopefully Wilson will drop the gimmicks and actually invest some time and money into real R&D for this stick. If they do and it comes out like a pure graphite 90'', more baseline ready version of the classic PS85, I'll be a very happy man.

Pro Kennex seems to have figured this out. Surely Wilson can do better with all that money in their account.

Cavaleer

nickb
07-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Come on...you cant really think the K90 feels like junk?

To most of us the feel is very similar to the 85. I like the K90 more than the original 85...it has more power, spin and the feel is nearly there...it suits the modern game much more..

Nick

stormholloway
07-08-2008, 06:40 PM
The K90 doesn't touch the 85. No racquet is as sweet.

DonBot
07-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Come on...you cant really think the K90 feels like junk?

To most of us the feel is very similar to the 85. I like the K90 more than the original 85...it has more power, spin and the feel is nearly there...it suits the modern game much more..

Nick

So so so true. The ps85 needed a serious update for the babolat era. The k90 is the perfect combination of old school ps85 and stiffness for the modern power game. The ps85 is really fun to hit with, but I would never show up at a tournament with mine.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
07-08-2008, 10:56 PM
i used one during some of my high school tennis matches last season and i was able to get more aces with that then i did with my k90 pretty weird.

BreakPoint
07-08-2008, 11:09 PM
i used one during some of my high school tennis matches last season and i was able to get more aces with that then i did with my k90 pretty weird.
Not weird at all. Most people agree that the PS 6.0 85 is the best serving racquet of all time. I think Pete Sampras would agree. ;)

m1stuhxsp4rk5
07-08-2008, 11:34 PM
i miss my ps85. i had to sell them, hopefully the sampras racket can bring back the feel i had with that ps85

plus
07-09-2008, 12:28 AM
I really think the PS tour 90 has much more of the PS 85 inheritance than the N90 or K90, who both play more muted. The PS tour 90 without a damper is closest to the crisp clean feel of the 85. I used to lead up the 85 a just little bit in the old days. I recently found two tour 90’s in good shape and they are perfect for me in stock form because of the tad higher SW. Like them better than N90 and K90 because they are closer to 85, more headlight as well..

So didn’t Wilson already make a ‘perfect’ PS90 in the past?

stormholloway
07-09-2008, 12:31 AM
I agree with the above, though I tried giving it another go and I found it to be too bulky, but the weighting and the feel are closer to the 85 than any other.

The 85 still serves better than any racquet I've used. I really miss that feel on serve with the K90.

ogruskie
07-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Fed's new Nike commerical

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mulAi7cno2Y

Pause at 55 seconds.

Looks like the prototype to me.

nickb
07-09-2008, 03:05 AM
The K90 doesn't touch the 85. No racquet is as sweet.

Yeah the 85 is "sweet" but its not really suited to todays game...

plus
07-09-2008, 03:22 AM
I agree with the above, though I tried giving it another go and I found it to be too bulky, but the weighting and the feel are closer to the 85 than any other.

I recently found 2 frames; one is at least 5 grams lighter than the other, guess I was actually lucky with that because that is the one I preferably use..

Pro Staff Pete
07-09-2008, 03:53 AM
Fed's new Nike commerical

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mulAi7cno2Y

Pause at 55 seconds.

Looks like the prototype to me.

Hmmm could be.. but it's defenitely not black though.

BounceHitBounceHit
07-09-2008, 09:47 AM

I may conduct an experiment. I shall break out the PS 85 and play it for two weeks, collecting feedback from my hitting partners and documenting match play or practice set results right here. I'm not completely convinced that frame is ready for the museum......not just yet. :) CC

hoodjem
07-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm not completely convinced that frame is ready for the museum......not just yet. :) CC

Thanks CC.

My problem was that after two hours, maybe the frame wasn't ready for the museum, but I was!

NoBadMojo
07-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Not weird at all. Most people agree that the PS 6.0 85 is the best serving racquet of all time. I think Pete Sampras would agree. ;)

Most people? absurd. lots of people didnt like the way the ps85 served at all, and just say what they say because Sampras played it. Courier didnt exactly have a great serve serving with the thing, neither did Evert, Krickstein, etc. In fact, the big serving Wilson players back in the days when these frames werent obsolete usually much preferred the UltraII or some other version of the Ultra for serving

I may conduct an experiment. I shall break out the PS 85 and play it for two weeks, collecting feedback from my hitting partners and documenting match play or practice set results right here. I'm not completely convinced that frame is ready for the museum......not just yet. :) CC

I've gotta disagree. the ps85 has been a dinosaur for a few years now, and out of mainstream production for a number of years. If it was still viable, it would still be made, especially in light of the players associated with it. In spite of the opinion of many forum posters, these racquet companies arent totally daft, and it is very easy to track racquet sales history.

--------------------------

As to the Sampras midsized prototype, is there any reliable source saying there will actually be such a frame, or is this just people making stuff up?

Tennis Man
07-09-2008, 11:19 AM

I disagree. Nevertheless, it's always a good practice stick. After playing with it, K90 feels like an oversize frame with huge sweet spot. :)

BreakPoint
07-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Most people? absurd. lots of people didnt like the way the ps85 served at all, and just say what they say because Sampras played it. Courier didnt exactly have a great serve serving with the thing, neither did Evert, Krickstein, etc. In fact, the big serving Wilson players back in the days when these frames werent obsolete usually much preferred the UltraII or some other version of the Ultra for serving
Why don't you start a poll? Most people here do agree that the PS 6.0 85 is one of the best serving racquets. I've read their posts. They've served with the PS 6.0 85, as have I. It has nothing to do with Sampras. I would still serve big with a PS 6.0 85 even if Sampras was never born.

Did Evert ever have a big serve with any racquet? Newsflash - you have to have the technique and motion of a big serve to maximize the potential of a good serving racquet. Giving Dementieva a PS 6.0 85 will not turn her into Pete Sampras. As a teaching pro, I thought you would understand that. But maybe not.

I've gotta disagree. the ps85 has been a dinosaur for a few years now, and out of mainstream production for a number of years. If it was still viable, it would still be made, especially in light of the players associated with it. In spite of the opinion of many forum posters, these racquet companies arent totally daft, and it is very easy to track racquet sales history.
Yeah, nobody wants a PS 6.0 85, that's why TW sold out each 3 month supply within weeks when they were still getting them in, that's many hundreds of frames. That's also why the resale value of PS 6.0 85 have gone through the roof since Wilson stopped making them. New St. Vincents are selling for $1,000.

As to the Sampras midsized prototype, is there any reliable source saying there will actually be such a frame, or is this just people making stuff up?
Yes, the GM of Wilson said they are developing prototypes for a new racquet and Sampras is testing out the prototypes. They probably also stopped making the PS 6.0 85 and 95 to make room for this new "PS 6.0 90". Another reason is that the PS 6.0 85/95 were very expensive to make so the profit margins were very low.

FreshStew
07-09-2008, 12:17 PM
New St. Vincents are selling for $1,000.

Why are they called St. Vincents?:confused:

BreakPoint
07-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Why are they called St. Vincents?:confused:
Because that's where that iteration of the PS 6.0 85 were made.

OnyxZ28
07-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Screw this 6.0 90 crap, I want to see wilson bring the 125 headsize back!

NoBadMojo
07-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Why don't you start a poll? Most people here do agree that the PS 6.0 85 is one of the best serving racquets. I've read their posts. They've served with the PS 6.0 85, as have I. It has nothing to do with Sampras. I would still serve big with a PS 6.0 85 even if Sampras was never born.

** No thanks.

You've gone from saying most people thinking the ps85 is the best serving racquet to most saying it is one of the best serving racquets. Twistpoint.
You opened things up for me to bring up people who didnt serve great w. this obsolete frame by mentioning one who could. Also Suggest to you that you shouldnt believe most of what you read on this forum

Did Evert ever have a big serve with any racquet? Newsflash - you have to have the technique and motion of a big serve to maximize the potential of a good serving racquet. Giving Dementieva a PS 6.0 85 will not turn her into Pete Sampras. As a teaching pro, I thought you would understand that. But maybe not.

** I see, so you are saying Courier and Krickstein etc had bad technique on their serves

Yeah, nobody wants a PS 6.0 85, that's why TW sold out each 3 month supply within weeks when they were still getting them in, that's many hundreds of frames. That's also why the resale value of PS 6.0 85 have gone through the roof since Wilson stopped making them. New St. Vincents are selling for $1,000.

** TW is only one account..AFAIK the only retailer selling newly minted ps85's (which dont really play much like the originals anyway)...so one retailer in the whole world selling these racquets somehow seems to indicate to you how popular the racquet still is. You will note that they didnt stock them all the time..you may wish to consider that they could only offer them a couple times a year in order to be able to buy enough to justify a production run

Yes, the GM of Wilson said they are developing prototypes for a new racquet and Sampras is testing out the prototypes. They probably also stopped making the PS 6.0 85 and 95 to make room for this new "PS 6.0 90". Another reason is that the PS 6.0 85/95 were very expensive to make so the profit margins were very low.

** Please post some sort of real evidence of this...evidence that it wont be something other than a midsized racquet. Sampras is using a MP racquet afterall I believe

Other than the above, there may be something in what you posted which might possibly be correct but i doubt it. do you even play tennis?

dr_punk
07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Other than the above, there may be something in what you posted which might possibly be correct but i doubt it. do you even play tennis?

you should retire again.

nickb
07-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I disagree. Nevertheless, it's always a good practice stick. After playing with it, K90 feels like an oversize frame with huge sweet spot. :)

It can be used by some players...e.g. if a player serves and volleys every point.

But for most people the K90 is a better choice...

BreakPoint
07-09-2008, 03:03 PM
you should retire again.
I agree. He obviously did not even read this entire thread. :-?

m1stuhxsp4rk5
07-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Screw this 6.0 90 crap, I want to see wilson bring the 125 headsize back!

125 is to small like a 140 would be better haha

stormholloway
07-09-2008, 04:24 PM

Certainly not at upper levels, but I play better against some opponents with it compared to the K90 and also the MG mid. It may be that the small head and less stiff layout force me to be more cautious and deliberate in swinging.

I think that if you're going to play with the 85 you better get into serving and volleying because it's easy to shank balls when you're bashing from the baseline endlessly. Krickstein does alright, but most wouldn't.

People really just wanted an updated 85 all this time. The 85 is like 25 years old and it's still being used in competitive play. That's impressive.

stormholloway
07-09-2008, 04:51 PM

Lots of people? Where are these lots of people? And don't bother mentioning people that CAN'T serve with it because they can't handle it. So because Courier, Evert and Krickstein weren't known for their serves then that has some bearing on the 85's characteristics? Keep in mind that Sampras, Edberg, and Federer all used it and they were/are phenomenal servers--some of the greatest.

Of course it's still viable, but Wilson has made great strides in phasing it out therefore it has left the limelight. Why do you think they're working on a replacement for it at the moment? Because of the demand. If people were head over heels for the K90 there wouldn't be such a great yearning for a racquet that plays like the 85.

Wow. What do you think this thread is about?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/am-tennis0312,1,7489186.story

It's a silly question. I'm sure this link is on the first page of this thread.

NoBadMojo
07-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Wow. What do you think this thread is about?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/am-tennis0312,1,7489186.story

It's a silly question. I'm sure this link is on the first page of this thread.

Thank you for the link. All that says is that Sampras is testing a prototype racquet. pros do that all the time. Even I have been a prototype tester

It's just Wilson creating some mystique and more interest for the brand..It's just a form of promotion/advertising/hype

BounceHitBounceHit
07-09-2008, 07:41 PM

--------------------------

Hey Mojo,

I truly didn't mean to stir anything up here! :)

I just got to wondering how much differently (maybe I should say how much more or less EFFECTIVELY) I would play with the 6.0 85 vs. the K90 that I'm using now. Remember I used the 6.0 85 for 20 years+ so I am pretty familiar with its playing characteristics. ;)

But would I recommend the 6.0 85 to a beginner or even an intermediate player focused on improving his/her game? Nah.

Best,

CC

NoBadMojo
07-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey Mojo,

I truly didn't mean to stir anything up here! :)

I just got to wondering how much differently (maybe I should say how much more or less EFFECTIVELY) I would play with the 6.0 85 vs. the K90 that I'm using now. Remember I used the 6.0 85 for 20 years+ so I am pretty familiar with its playing characteristics. ;)

But would I recommend the 6.0 85 to a beginner or even an intermediate player focused on improving his/her game? Nah.

Best,

CC

Yo Craig,
Your'e not stirring anything up.

Tennisguy777
07-09-2008, 09:52 PM
K staff tour 90 16 x 20 . 12.5 oz - 7pts Head light. Word on the street.

stormholloway
07-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the link. All that says is that Sampras is testing a prototype racquet. pros do that all the time. Even I have been a prototype tester

It's just Wilson creating some mystique and more interest for the brand..It's just a form of promotion/advertising/hype

But obviously, as a guy who played with the PS85 his entire career, Pete is going to give feedback to Wilson that gears this new racquet to his liking. I speculate that he wants this new frame to be as close to his old frame as possible aside from a few modern improvements, e.g. larger head, stiffer hoop.

The thing is though, Wilson isn't really hyping this frame or Pete's testing of it much at all. A news report was released because people asked what he was playing with, but Wilson hasn't released any info of it directly. To say it's "just" hype is to say Wilson isn't genuinely interesting in appeasing its loyalists. I don't think they're making this frame to generate "more" interest in the brand. They're doing that with their new technologically "advanced" lines of racquets. This racquet is clearly a throwback of sorts. Its layout strays from the tour racquets of the last few generations.

superstition
07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I speculate that he wants this new frame to be as close to his old frame as possible aside from a few modern improvements, e.g. larger head, stiffer hoop.
Didn't the ancient Ultra 2 have a stiffer hoop? And, since it and the Pro Staff came in 110, Wilson could have made a 90 a long time ago.

stormholloway
07-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Never played with it. I think the Tour 90 mold is fine but the weighting isn't right and the feel isn't quite there.

Richie Rich
07-10-2008, 05:59 PM
FWIW, i didn't like serving (or anything for that matter) with the 6.0 85. i loved serving with the tour 90. it was the only mid i could hit heavy penetrating serves with.

with regards to TW selling out of the 6.0 85, i wonder how many people really bought it to play with it and how many bought it to hoard as a collectible?

BreakPoint
07-10-2008, 09:52 PM
with regards to TW selling out of the 6.0 85, i wonder how many people really bought it to play with it and how many bought it to hoard as a collectible?
Well, from the time TW started getting the PS 6.0 85 as a SMU, they sold several thousands of them so I doubt they were all to collectors. I still see people playing with it all the time.

obnoxious2
07-10-2008, 10:10 PM

So you saying this new PS is going to be cheaply made? God, last thing we need is more bad Wilson quality control...

BreakPoint
07-10-2008, 10:26 PM
So you saying this new PS is going to be cheaply made? God, last thing we need is more bad Wilson quality control...
Not necessarily. I'm sure Wilson will charge a lot more for the new racquet, probably close to the $199 that the K90 sells for, whereas, the PS 6.0 85/95 sold for only $129. That's how they'll make more money. They're replacing the low margin products with a much higher margin product.

Josherer
07-11-2008, 12:28 AM
To me the PWS on the racquet wider than that of my K90?

Azlan5570
07-15-2008, 05:06 AM
PS 6.0 85,N6.1 tour, Kblade tour and K6.1 tour. This is all great racquets! I,m waiting for Sampras 6.0 90!!

0d1n
07-15-2008, 06:01 AM
Well, from the time TW started getting the PS 6.0 85 as a SMU, they sold several thousands of them so I doubt they were all to collectors. I still see people playing with it all the time.

I've been playing this game more frequently since starting high school and I'm now 28 (with a few years "layoff" during university).
In these 14 years I've seen the 85 Pro Staff one time on the court (and a second time a racket from a similar Wilson mold...not sure what the name was...possibly the Ultra x).
The 6.1 series was and is much more popular.
I still see a couple of 6.1 Classic's around (and they were immensely popular when they were more readily available), and plenty of ncode 95's but the 85's are long gone (if they ever truly "existed") at the junior/club/amateur level.

BreakPoint
07-15-2008, 12:54 PM
I've been playing this game more frequently since starting high school and I'm now 28 (with a few years "layoff" during university).
In these 14 years I've seen the 85 Pro Staff one time on the court (and a second time a racket from a similar Wilson mold...not sure what the name was...possibly the Ultra x).
The 6.1 series was and is much more popular.
I still see a couple of 6.1 Classic's around (and they were immensely popular when they were more readily available), and plenty of ncode 95's but the 85's are long gone (if they ever truly "existed") at the junior/club/amateur level.
Well, I guess that's the difference between being in Romania and being in California where there are literally millions of tennis players just in this one out of the 50 states. It's also where Pete Sampras grew up and still lives. ;)

m1stuhxsp4rk5
07-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Well, I guess that's the difference between being in Romania and being in California where there are literally millions of tennis players just in this one out of the 50 states. It's also where Pete Sampras grew up and still lives. ;)

breakpoint are you from cali? if you are which part?

origmarm
07-16-2008, 12:47 AM
K staff tour 90 16 x 20 . 12.5 oz - 7pts Head light. Word on the street.

So a K90 with 1 extra cross and slightly less headlight....not exactly the wonder I was hoping for :(

0d1n
07-16-2008, 01:11 AM

That may be the reason...or maybe it's the difference between living in the real world or the fantasy world.
I have a few friends who play tennis in Germany, work colleagues who play tennis in the UK and in the US (we have a Texas based office), and from their reports...the PS 85 is dead and gone over there as well. It seems that only in your "neck of the woods" this 85 appears in every other player's hands (hence you seeing it all the time).
IMO with a couple of possible exceptions...even if you did see that racket around the courts, the players wielding it are probably testing it for fun when playing with (weaker) friends rather than seriously.
It sure as h3ll isn't regularly used in competition/serious play as you seem to claim. Like I said ... the 6.1 series ... Prestiges and Radicals (plus obviously the Babolats) are pretty much dominating, and the 85 is just a distant memory by now.
I'm not saying that it lacks presence on the courts because it's a bad racket ... far from it...and I don't want to go into analyzing the reasons for it's disappearance (other than the obvious availability problem), I just state the facts as I see/hear them, and challenge your position of "seeing it all the time".
Maybe you are seeing it all the time when you and a couple of your friends are using it for giggles but certainly not in competition and/or serious play.
My 2 pence

BreakPoint
07-16-2008, 01:20 AM
That may be the reason...or maybe it's the difference between living in the real world or the fantasy world.
I have a few friends who play tennis in Germany, work colleagues who play tennis in the UK and in the US (we have a Texas based office), and from their reports...the PS 85 is dead and gone over there as well. It seems that only in your "neck of the woods" this 85 appears in every other player's hands (hence you seeing it all the time).
IMO with a couple of possible exceptions...even if you did see that racket around the courts, the players wielding it are probably testing it for fun when playing with (weaker) friends rather than seriously.
It sure as h3ll isn't regularly used in competition/serious play as you seem to claim. Like I said ... the 6.1 series ... Prestiges and Radicals (plus obviously the Babolats) are pretty much dominating, and the 85 is just a distant memory by now.
I'm not saying that it lacks presence on the courts because it's a bad racket ... far from it...and I don't want to go into analyzing the reasons for it's disappearance (other than the obvious availability problem), I just state the facts as I see/hear them, and challenge your position of "seeing it all the time".
Maybe you are seeing it all the time when you and a couple of your friends are using it for giggles but certainly not in competition and/or serious play.
My 2 pence
Well, TW and several other places were still selling thousands of PS 6.0 85's every few months as SMU's before they stopped making them so they must be going somewhere.

BTW, the people I see using them tend to be advanced high-level players playing against competitors at their own level.

I also know of quite a few people that were top junior players and now are still using the same racquet that they were using 10-15 years ago. I mean the same sticks, not just the same model, and they look all beat up but they won't give them up because they don't like the newer racquets and/or they still win a lot with their 15 year old beat up racquets. These are very high level players. It just comes down to what you're used to playing with.

geesechops
07-16-2008, 10:47 AM
I've used my PS85's all summer for my USTA league. If there was a better racquet out there I would be using it as I try out new ones all the time. I had two friends who used to play with it exclusively for years and one who still has not given up playing with the first one I sold him. He did so well one year he made the state playoffs in High School with only a few years of playing experience like me.

KerryJ
07-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Who really thinks this racquet will be released? I didn't read all the posts but anyone with common sense would know that they wouldn't release a new player's racquet in the middle of a current line, with no one on tour to back it up. Unless someone's making the switch to a highly demanding racquet it's not going to happen. If it's released with a *new* line of technology, Federer, or anyone else using something like a K90 could and most likely would get a paintjob. My guess is it's going to be the new K90 whenever the next line of racquets is released.

slkbassist
07-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Who really thinks this racquet will be released? I didn't read all the posts but anyone with common sense would know that they wouldn't release a new player's racquet in the middle of a current line, with no one on tour to back it up. Unless someone's making the switch to a highly demanding racquet it's not going to happen. If it's released with a *new* line of technology, Federer, or anyone else using something like a K90 could and most likely would get a paintjob. My guess is it's going to be the new K90 whenever the next line of racquets is released.

Most likely you are right. There would be limited marketing advantage for such a racquet. The people who will buy will be competetive players, players used to heft and style of how players racquets were, and people who remember Sampras end up buying the racquet only to sell due to it being too demanding.

I see it being most likely the replacement for the K90. There is a possibility though that the racquet is sold as a separate stick, say if Wilson chooses to do some sort of heritage or classic line

BounceHitBounceHit
08-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Most likely you are right. There would be limited marketing advantage for such a racquet. The people who will buy will be competetive players, players used to heft and style of how players racquets were, and people who remember Sampras end up buying the racquet only to sell due to it being too demanding.

I see it being most likely the replacement for the K90. There is a possibility though that the racquet is sold as a separate stick, say if Wilson chooses to do some sort of heritage or classic line

Whatever the motivation might be, I'm sure they will sell a BUNCH of them. :) Has anyone heard any additional information on the release date, etc? Best, CC

Keifers
08-01-2008, 10:15 AM
I REALLY hope this new stick will have more of the PS85's scalpel-like maneuverability than Wilson designed into the Tour 90, n90 and K90.

This was probably my biggest disappointment with them.

hoodjem
08-01-2008, 11:20 AM
IMO, the K90 has the heft and plow-through but not the crisp maneuverability of the PS 85.

mtommer
08-01-2008, 11:42 AM

You don't think it's possible that they'll do a Head Agassi LE equivalent?

nalk7
08-01-2008, 11:58 AM
You don't think it's possible that they'll do a Head Agassi LE equivalent?

they already did. after he retired.
http://www.head.com/tennis/racquets.php?region=us&tag=others&id=747

TW had them on sale a while ago.

shavenyak
08-01-2008, 09:08 PM
they already did. after he retired.
http://www.head.com/tennis/racquets.php?region=us&tag=others&id=747

TW had them on sale a while ago.

I think he means the same kind of thing for Pete.

nalk7
08-01-2008, 11:18 PM
I think he means the same kind of thing for Pete.

Whoops guess ur right lol. I miss read his post :p

shavenyak
08-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Whoops guess ur right lol. I miss read his post :p

No worries :)

m1stuhxsp4rk5
08-07-2008, 01:24 AM
almost US open no news?

BreakPoint
08-07-2008, 03:27 AM
almost US open no news?
I thought you tried the AK90 but didn't like them and sold them?

kaloi-sabah
08-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Dear all,

I just hope Wilson release K Pro Staff 6.0 90 Asian version.. It will be fun.. 11.3 Oz unstrung.. just hope really.. I think it will suit many of us here..

nalk7
08-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Dear all,

I just hope Wilson release K Pro Staff 6.0 90 Asian version.. It will be fun.. 11.3 Oz unstrung.. just hope really.. I think it will suit many of us here..

they'll probably release a team version of k90 successor. dont worry.

BreakPoint
08-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Dear all,

Wilson has already announced that they will no longer make any more lighter "Asian" verisons of its racquets after the AK90. :(

m1stuhxsp4rk5
08-07-2008, 02:44 PM
I thought you tried the AK90 but didn't like them and sold them?

i thought about selling it but decided to keep them on my off days. i use the us k90 as my main stick

superstition
08-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Wilson should just use the PS 85 mold and make the racquet stiffer. It would cost next to nothing. The company wouldn't even need to make a new mold.

Also, Wilson absolutely must make the new racquet with a 4 3/4 grip size option. I am fed up with having to resort to shrink sleeves and over-grips.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
08-07-2008, 10:22 PM
using a 85 mold would take away from the samprasness of his new frame lol

proracketeer
08-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Wilson has already announced that they will no longer make any more lighter "Asian" verisons of its racquets after the AK90. :(
they'll probably release a team version of k90 successor. dont worry.
Maybe "Asian" Versions are no more needed because of team versions?