PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade

SpetsnazOp
12-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Well it is almost time for tennis season as some of my teammates remind me about quite frequently :D and I am in the market. I have narrowed down the choice to a Prince Airstick MP or a Prince More Balance 950 MP ....last season I played with my TiS2 (hate it) and it had a 5/8 grip size which didn't help. I have been playing tennis forever (ok, maybe since I was 9) and I am OK. The S2 was a bit too powerful and I switched to one of my brothers ThunderClouds (he was #1 varsity at his school so he has multiple racquets). I played much better and even hit a few past him :mrgreen: and now I refuse to use that POS TiS2 4 5/8 grip thing. Well I want to make the Thundercloud my backup for the spring and get a new racquet since the TiS2 is already years old. I would gauge myself as an NTRP ~3.5 (I can be a bit of a wild card). When I played yesterday my forehands were going a bit long and I was getting fustrated...they were fine once I slowed down the pace (and when my form was correct :) ) but I feel that I could dish out a bit more power with more of a players racquet. However I still would like a little power, as I can tire rather quickly. Any other racquets under ~80? That price is firm as I need a pair of tennis sneakers (tired ot tearing up my Air Max Motos) and may get a stringer later on in the spring/summer. Would like to upgrade to midplus. Any other comments welcome...

Vince
12-31-2004, 12:37 AM
by your description, i dont think your much of a 3.5

Id say around 2.5 or so... but that's just me

I hear bad things about the Prince More Line so you may wanna stay away from those.

If your lookin for a decent tweener racket, try the Prince TT Bandit or the Prince TT Warrior.

SpetsnazOp
12-31-2004, 12:44 AM
by your description, i dont think your much of a 3.5

Id say around 2.5 or so... but that's just me

I hear bad things about the Prince More Line so you may wanna stay away from those.

If your lookin for a decent tweener racket, try the Prince TT Bandit or the Prince TT Warrior.

If I look at the Warrior, should I be looking into an OS or MP? :confused: It seems like the MP Warrior is weaker than the Airstick MP..should I be concerned?

Vince
12-31-2004, 12:50 AM
i dont think you should be concerned. The Prince TT Warrior MP or OS both have a good amount of power. Its up to you if u want a MP or OS frame.

I cant really give feedback about the airstick though. Never played with it

SpetsnazOp
12-31-2004, 12:53 AM
i dont think you should be concerned. The Prince TT Warrior MP or OS both have a good amount of power. Its up to you if u want a MP or OS frame.

I cant really give feedback about the airstick though. Never played with it

Thanks for your reply (especially at this hour). Now my only dilemma will be finding one at a site that will string as cheaply as TW. Perhaps hola****

Anyone who has any feedback on the airstick please reply, as the airsticks are far more plentiful on the market and easier for me to get. Right now however it is looking like the Warrior. I actually was looking at them last summer too :)

Vince
12-31-2004, 12:55 AM
no problem. glad to be of help

Stormwolf
12-31-2004, 01:15 AM
The best way to move up is a wooden racquet - next is a Prostaff 6.0 85 and a Prestige Classic 600 - - the rest is garbage with regards to improving your game. String them tight - to the point where you can barely get the ball over the net. Then, the learning can begin :).

One does not learn tennis by trying to control a power racquet, rather by powering a control racquet.

SpetsnazOp
12-31-2004, 10:05 AM
The best way to move up is a wooden racquet - next is a Prostaff 6.0 85 and a Prestige Classic 600 - - the rest is garbage with regards to improving your game. String them tight - to the point where you can barely get the ball over the net. Then, the learning can begin :).

One does not learn tennis by trying to control a power racquet, rather by powering a control racquet.

You know, I am beginning to realise that. I don't know if I am prepared to go wooden just yet :mrgreen: but I do agree. I wish I had gotten a less powerful racquet years ago, i'd prob. be much better.

still looking for any airstick feedback

SpetsnazOp
12-31-2004, 11:00 AM
Looking through other posts, I have found that lots of people complained about the Warrior from the baseline...are there any similar racquets that are more solid from the baseline? I do spend a lot of time at the baseline hitting groundstrokes :D

monologuist
12-31-2004, 01:12 PM
the Warrior OS is much better than the MP....especially from the baseline....has more power and spin, has an additional 1/2 inch of length too for more leverage on serves. highly recommended.

Steve H.
12-31-2004, 09:18 PM
I don't think the AirStick would be much of an improvement from your ThunderCloud -- they are similar in weight and balance, the AirStick is just stiffer. But if you are at all serious about tennis you should eventually consider going to a heavier racquet, a 10-ounce frame is going to get pushed around in any kind of competition.

You might consider just playing with the ThunderCloud this season, get it some fresh strings, and meanwhile try a bunch of frames around 11 ounces, the Warrior's a good choice but there are many others like the Head Radical line or Wilson Surge that may suit you better. If you want a Warrior in a 4 1/2 grip there are a couple for sale just now on the For Sale forum -- at $45 you could try it out without much risk. For what it's worth, a lot of players prefer the MP version to the OS.

good luck, and happy New Year!

SpetsnazOp
12-31-2004, 09:31 PM
I don't think the AirStick would be much of an improvement from your ThunderCloud -- they are similar in weight and balance, the AirStick is just stiffer. But if you are at all serious about tennis you should eventually consider going to a heavier racquet, a 10-ounce frame is going to get pushed around in any kind of competition.

You might consider just playing with the ThunderCloud this season, get it some fresh strings, and meanwhile try a bunch of frames around 11 ounces, the Warrior's a good choice but there are many others like the Head Radical line or Wilson Surge that may suit you better. If you want a Warrior in a 4 1/2 grip there are a couple for sale just now on the For Sale forum -- at $45 you could try it out without much risk. For what it's worth, a lot of players prefer the MP version to the OS.

good luck, and happy New Year!

Well 4 and 5/8 was way to big, I think I am 4 3/8 at the very most :( i'll keep an eye out in the FS forum though :D

About the Head Radical....some of these are in my price range. I will get a new racquet by feburary, as the Thundercloud technically isn't mine although I can use it as much as I want (my bro's). Need a good racquet of my own and I want it to last! Any particular Radical you think I should look at? iRadical or the older ones? I just hated the S2 I had so I am kind of in an anti-Head menatality, I take it the iRadical is radically different from the S2 though. (pun intended for sure)

oh and Happy New Year

edit: after a little research, the iRadical appears to be a bit out of my price range :( and I think I want a less dense string pattern like the warriors. I will take your advice and look at some other ~11oz frames though

Stormwolf
12-31-2004, 09:46 PM
I would recommend the Ti.Radical Midplus over the i.Radical personally. It's less stiff and overall a better racquet. Power and size are not good attributes when it comes to tennis racquets - control is. I believe that sifting through tweeners will only waste your money and slow down your development as a player. It's up to you - I myself am searching **** for Dunlop Maxplys or Jack Kramers :D (two of the more respected wooden frames).

SpetsnazOp
12-31-2004, 10:14 PM
I would recommend the Ti.Radical Midplus over the i.Radical personally. It's less stiff and overall a better racquet. Power and size are not good attributes when it comes to tennis racquets - control is. I believe that sifting through tweeners will only waste your money and slow down your development as a player. It's up to you - I myself am searching **** for Dunlop Maxplys or Jack Kramers :D (two of the more respected wooden frames).

Stormwolf: What do you think of the warrior? I'm googling Ti Radical mp right now :)

I am skeptical (about the Ti.Radical)..the TW review makes it seem like my serve will have no pop at all :O but it is an intreguing option as it may force me to adapt...hmm...

newbie123
12-31-2004, 10:28 PM
The Ti.Radical MP is a nice racquet. Serves will only be weak if racquet head speed is too slow. Since it has a low swingweight and static weight, there wont be any oomph in your shots if you dont swing very fast. I found the Ti.Radical MP to be pretty good at everything, but not exceptional at any one particular thing. BTW, if you're planning to use this racquet stock with no additional lead tape, use a soft string with tension no higher than 60 lbs. I once strung it with a pretty stiff string at 60 lbs and it played very boardy with very little power