PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for 17 Gauge Strings

ExBuM
03-12-2008, 09:09 PM
I used to use 17 gauge Stamina strings but I started breaking them everyday 1-2 days (I hit with a lot of topspin). I like the feel of 17 gauge strings so I tried Luxilon TiMos... which was a bad idea. They lasted about a week and unfortunately, I think I have some sort of tennis elbow now. I play for about 3 hours a day for my high school. I'm thinking of trying a 16/17 hybrid so does anyone have any suggestions on a combination that could be soft on my elbow and also give me control?

saram
03-12-2008, 09:25 PM
How often do you replace your strings and what type of price are you looking at? I ask because if you can string your own sticks and purchase a reel of string (s) you can get something softer in a poly even if it loses tension faster.

If you cannot afford a lot of string and have to have it strung by someone else--you are more confined when it comes to tension loss, etc.

I have found some great soft poly's that play well--but only for about one or two sessions on the court. Others last a lot longer--but are more harsh on the arm...

saram
03-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Some soft poly's that I like that play well but lose tension rather quickly are Ballistic Polymono and Spinfire. They only last a very short time on court, though. I have some shoulder issues if I play with any other poly than those two.

ExBuM
03-12-2008, 09:29 PM
I get my strings strung by two friends, both charging 5 dollars (if I provide my own strings). I'm assuming that using 16 gauge strings on the mains will be more durable so I could spend more money on them.

saram
03-12-2008, 09:36 PM
A poly you may look at is Gosen's Polylon 17. I didn't like it in my mid sized sticks, but laced up a tecnifibre 320 tonight and loved the full set of that string. Strung it at 55 and never had any elbow or shoulder issues (something I had a great deal of with Luxilon). It is soft and forgiving for a poly, held up will through four sets and three hours of tennis (doubles). The added bonus is that you can get an entire reel of it for under 30 bucks.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGOSEN-POLYICE17R.html

saram
03-12-2008, 09:38 PM
And if you wanted to add some more feel/touch--you can add in another good quality value cross:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGOSEN-GSR17.html

ExBuM
03-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Ohh thanks a lot I'll definetly look into those strings.

saram
03-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Both of them have had a lot of positive feedback--not only on the page of the string itself--but here in this section as well. And, considering the price--you can fiddle with tensions without emptying your wallet.

ExBuM
03-12-2008, 10:02 PM
I used Luxilon Alu Power Rough a year ago and liked it, but it also gave me some elbow trouble. woudl it be a good idea to hybrid that string with teh gosen og micro 17?

vndesu
03-12-2008, 10:40 PM
gosen microsheep 17g

nickb
03-13-2008, 03:32 AM
Try 17g Topspin CyberPower with some syn gut on the crosses...its very soft.