court_zone
12-31-2004, 07:58 AM
i'm filipino too! Pinoy Pride!

mach1
12-31-2004, 08:59 AM
Hoy!!!!!!!

VashTheStampede
12-31-2004, 09:12 AM
Pinoy here. Have any of you seen the flash flick, Maritess vs. the Superfriends? I thought it was hilarious.

Aonex
12-31-2004, 12:24 PM
Yep, that Maritess skit was by Rex Navarette... really funny comedian.

VashTheStampede
12-31-2004, 12:48 PM
I agree. I'll post it for the others who might not have seen it.

http://www.fractalcow.com/rex/

K!ck5w3rvE
12-31-2004, 05:01 PM
Vash.....whats with the change of signature every day?

finchy
12-31-2004, 05:11 PM
kumusta na. filipino's in the house!

__jt__
12-31-2004, 05:31 PM
btw, where in the philippines are u guys from?

im from davao city...now im in vancouver

court_zone
12-31-2004, 05:56 PM
i'm from manila

VashTheStampede
12-31-2004, 08:06 PM
Vash.....whats with the change of signature every day?

Just picky, wanted to change the Fed one, but didn't quite like the penguin one, so I stuck with a tennis sig.

Noelle
01-17-2005, 04:13 PM
I can't believe I didn't spot this thread earlier. I'm a Filipino from Manila!

skittles
01-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Flip from pangasinan Holler!

skittles
01-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Flip from pangasinan Holler! btw... neone here got a myspace? i dont really have any tennis buddies on myspace and i wanna represent Tennis. Peace

jayserinos99
01-17-2005, 06:27 PM
yo, pinoy here.

gmlasam
01-18-2005, 11:45 AM
What ever happen to Cecil Mamit? He is the only Filipino that actually played the circuit that I know of.

Why is that? Is tennis popular in the Philippines? There aren't if not all any Filipinos playing the pro circuit.

That's too bad. I've played with some Filipinos, and they really move around the court.

atatu
01-18-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure, but I think Eric Taino is Filipino. You guys can correct me if I'm wrong. The Junio bros. from Fresno State played some satellite events also.

jayserinos99
01-18-2005, 04:51 PM
^^ i think to answer your question, i believe it's the funding issue that prevents a lot of filipinos to play on the tour. i used to hit with a guy who played for the PI davis cup team a while ago and it was all about the lack of money to travel around and what not. there were a few pinoys that played college ball besides mamiit; rex calaunan played for UW a while ago.

Noelle
01-18-2005, 07:41 PM
What about the problem with visas? I think it might be hard for a person with a Filipino passport to get a visa just to be able to play at tennis tournaments around the world.

gmlasam
01-18-2005, 07:54 PM
^^ i think to answer your question, i believe it's the funding issue that prevents a lot of filipinos to play on the tour. i used to hit with a guy who played for the PI davis cup team a while ago and it was all about the lack of money to travel around and what not. there were a few pinoys that played college ball besides mamiit; rex calaunan played for UW a while ago.
Was Rex Calaunan actually ranked like Mamiit? Did he even play the pro circuit? I think Mamiit is the only Filipino that actually made pro after college. I recall seeing him play against Paul Goldstein.

Mamit was even endorsed by Adidas and Wilson. Is it that difficult to get endorsement in the Philippines or companies such as Nike, Adidas, Wilson ignore prospects in the Philippines and instead look elsewhere in other Asian countries such as Japan, India, China or even Korea?

gmlasam
01-18-2005, 07:57 PM
What about the problem with visas? I think it might be hard for a person with a Filipino passport to get a visa just to be able to play at tennis tournaments around the world.
How is that any different from other Nationalities in Asia with their Visas? Why is the Philippines the only one with such Visa problems?

jayserinos99
01-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Was Rex Calaunan actually ranked like Mamiit? Did he even play the pro circuit? I think Mamiit is the only Filipino that actually made pro after college. I recall seeing him play against Paul Goldstein.

Mamit was even endorsed by Adidas and Wilson. Is it that difficult to get endorsement in the Philippines or companies such as Nike, Adidas, Wilson ignore prospects in the Philippines and instead look elsewhere in other Asian countries such as Japan, India, China or even Korea?

well, mamiit turned pro after his freshman year. i don't think calaunan went pro though. as far as endorsements in the PI, after talking with the former PI davis cupper he said it was pretty difficult to get the funding, not so sure about the visas.

Noelle
01-18-2005, 09:12 PM
How is that any different from other Nationalities in Asia with their Visas? Why is the Philippines the only one with such Visa problems?

I guess Filipinos have a bad reputation when it comes to international travel, mainly because of the problem of illegal immigration.

For example, it's extremely difficult to get a tourist visa to the United States. You need to schedule an interview with a consul several months before your trip, a stack of documents is required to show you have property and bank assets in the Philippines (they require this to make sure you have something you'll need to return to and to make sure you have enough money for your stay and won't have to work there to get money), and even if you have these, there's a chance the consul will have a bad feeling about you and simply deny you a visa, no explanations given.

If we had a strong tennis federation in the Philippines I could believe we could swing a few visas for the top Filipino players, but so far I don't see such a thing.

bookem
01-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Hey--- a thread near/dear to my heart! A few thoughts on the various topics raised in this thread:

1. Filipinos here?. Anyone who's traveled around has most likely seen/heard/spoken to Filipinos around (and I mean AROUND) the world. After all, aren't we the world's largest supplier of skilled and educated (and underutilized) workers? So I guess it shouldn't be any surprise that there are some lurking in these boards....

2. Pinoy players. Mamiit may indeed be the only ATP-level player but there have been several kababayans at the US collegiate level. In the 70s I recall Mackey Dominguez playing in IN somewhere and Alex (can't remember the surname) also playing...... which leads to....

3. Pinoys playing. Has anyone else noticed that, for the most part, almost any community has a significant number of Filipino tennis aficionados? I've traveled extensively throughout the US and world and have been amazed. When I meet Pinoys, then mention tennis, invariably there is a group who plays. I've seen it in SF (of course Daly City), NYC, Houston, Rome, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney, Dubai, and, of all places, Pohnpei and Majuro (look it up). Woohoo Filipinos!

I think it's incredible that Pinoys are for the most part, warm and friendly, eager to assimilate into the culture of the country they happen to inhabit, yet maintain their identity as Filipinos although they would probably squabble into provincial differences if left to themselves ;).

mabuhay
01-20-2005, 09:23 AM
cecil mamiit and eric taino grew up here in u.s. so i guess it was easier for them to compete in pro. players from the philippines needs funding from the corrupt government. i heard that there are lots of good filipino players but the problem is the cost of travel. china is emerging into the sports of tennis and i hope the we have some good filipino players that will emerge soon.

i talked to cecil and eric taino at the mercedes-benz cup here in l.a. last year, they're pretty nice guys to talk to. cecil still uses "po" when he talked to my dad :)

go pinoys!

Prince_of_Tennis
03-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Holla..I'm pinoy!!! Pure and Proud =)

gmlasam
03-22-2005, 07:42 PM
cecil mamiit and eric taino grew up here in u.s. so i guess it was easier for them to compete in pro. players from the philippines needs funding from the corrupt government. i heard that there are lots of good filipino players but the problem is the cost of travel. china is emerging into the sports of tennis and i hope the we have some good filipino players that will emerge soon.

i talked to cecil and eric taino at the mercedes-benz cup here in l.a. last year, they're pretty nice guys to talk to. cecil still uses "po" when he talked to my dad :)

go pinoys!
What is "po"? Is that like a dialect?

Prince_of_Tennis
03-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Po is respect...Talking to anyone older than you you must end in PO...

Phil
03-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Hmmm...and I always thought Mamit was an American. My bad.

Prince_of_Tennis
03-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Was american, as in white? He is american...Filipino American...

Phil
03-22-2005, 08:24 PM
No, American as in American. Color doesn't make a difference. If you want to hyphenate CM as a Filipino-American, go ahead if you think that somehow makes him closer to you, but he's an American. I'm not a German/Spanish/Russian-American...I'm American. Tiger woods is listed in the golf scores as "American", not Thai-African-American, etc., etc. That hyphenated shiat is annoying.

Prince_of_Tennis
03-22-2005, 10:11 PM
I was just asking a question...Saying he is Filipino-American or just American doesn't really matter to me. The fact that he is filipino does...I'm pretty sure a lot of people are proud of their heritage and use the hyphen. I'm sorry that yours got lost along the way but don't get mad. Maybe its something you don't understand I don't know. "I'm Proud to be Filipino-American...." I was born in the PI but am no naturialized what does that make me?

Phil
03-22-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm proud of my heritage, too. Nothing wrong with that, and you can call yourself anything you want, but I suppose my grandparents' and parents' generations were most proud to be AMERICAN. Immigrants built the country, and became Americans, and that, more than anything, was a source of pride. I don't see that as much nowadays. Again, call yourself whatever you want to, but there must be some reason why you're living in San Jose, CA USA.

ShooterMcMarco
03-23-2005, 01:54 AM
<------- filipino

me and my sister were born in california. some filipinos end up asking me if i'm filipino or not, kinda strange considering the fact that both of my parents are from the p.i

bc-05
03-23-2005, 02:35 AM
its called nationality not citizenship.. duhh.. when they ask what nationality are u that means the country where ur originally from.. when they ask where r u from (if overseas).. then its called for ur citizenship identity.. like me.. im australian but both parents are italian.. so whats that mean? im not really australian.. maybe australian citizenship but not raised as an aussie.. coz theres a big difference.. aussie kicks out their child when they turn 18 italians don't.. most aussies don't care about money they care about how much welfare they can get from the government.. italians dont.. however thoguh when im overseas.. someone comes up to me and say where u from.. offcourse i would say australia!

rommil
03-23-2005, 07:43 AM
Pinoy here originally from Bohol and lives in Connecticut.

gmlasam
03-23-2005, 07:50 AM
Sometimes I laugh when people ask my Grandfather his citizenship. He says " I'm American " with a strong German accent. They kinda smile at him when they hear his accent.

I consider myself American though my heritage is German. I do not say Im German American.

rommil
03-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Sometimes I laugh when people ask my Grandfather his citizenship. He says " I'm American " with a strong German accent. They kinda smile at him when they hear his accent.

I consider myself American though my heritage is German. I do not say Im German American.
Well if you were born and raised here then I can understand that but some of us were born and grew up in a different country. I'm a naturalized US citizen so that would make me an American but the Filipino culture and values in me are still strong. I wouldn,t have it any other way. People call themselves or want to be called in some ways because they have reasons. If some people think that "hyphenated nationalities or citizenship" is absurd or what ever description they attach to it, then it basically is an opinion.

chad shaver
03-23-2005, 08:44 AM
I guess Filipinos have a bad reputation when it comes to international travel, mainly because of the problem of illegal immigration.

For example, it's extremely difficult to get a tourist visa to the United States. You need to schedule an interview with a consul several months before your trip, a stack of documents is required to show you have property and bank assets in the Philippines (they require this to make sure you have something you'll need to return to and to make sure you have enough money for your stay and won't have to work there to get money), and even if you have these, there's a chance the consul will have a bad feeling about you and simply deny you a visa, no explanations given.

If we had a strong tennis federation in the Philippines I could believe we could swing a few visas for the top Filipino players, but so far I don't see such a thing.

It's the same thing trying to get here from any country. I was engaged to a girl from the Dominican Republic. It took three years to get her an Alien Fianceť (sp?) Visa. There were lots and lots of paper, lots and lots of standing in line, a flat rejection the first time, and a final approval 2 years after the initial rejection. Did I mention that the INS (Immigrationa and Naturalization Service) is a part of the Department of Justice? Trust me, they treated ME like a possible criminal, too. All that shhhhtuff is expensive, too.

nw tennis
03-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Nice to see so many Filipinos in the house. How many of us miss playing on those shell courts back home?

Here's a link that might be helpful.
http://www.angelfire.com/id/ustc/philtahistory.htm

It speaks to some of the issues raised here, about the state of Philippine tennis. During the 80s, when I lived in Guam, I was able to see many of their top players play, including Rod Rafael, Felix Barrientos, Roland So, Manuel Tolentino and Joseph Lizardo and Andres Battad. Many, most notably So and Barrientos, were quite competitive in the states as juniors or collegians, but never achieved great success as professionals. They played Davis Cup and many satellite and challenger-level tour events. I do know some of them are still involved in the sport. Andres Battad runs a tennis school out of Hong Kong and the Philippines.

By the way, does anyone out there know where Rex Calaunan is, and what he's doing tennis-wise? I used to hit with him regularly when he was a 10- to 12-year-old junior player in Guam. I lost track after he went to the UW, then transferred back to the Bay Area and played for St. Mary's.

mabuhay
03-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Nice to see so many Filipinos in the house. How many of us miss playing on those shell courts back home?

i don't miss it because i haven't played on it, LOL! i started playing here in the US so i have no clue. how is it anyways comparing to other surfaces?

Tennis_baller
03-23-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm filipino. Born in Butuan City. Now in Alabama.

nw tennis
03-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Shell courts play a lot like clay, as far as speed and bounce. But shell courts feel more sandy than clay courts.
I learned the game on Florida clay, and then hard courts. I played on shell for the first time when i was in my 20s and visiting the Philippines.

mabuhay
03-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Shell courts play a lot like clay, as far as speed and bounce. But shell courts feel more sandy than clay courts.
I learned the game on Florida clay, and then hard courts. I played on shell for the first time when i was in my 20s and visiting the Philippines.

sounds interesting :) i will definitely try it next time i visit the philippines, which i don't know when..lol

rommil
03-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Here's a funny story...I went to visit relatives in New Jersey and my cousin invited me to play in their "socials" and it just so happened that Eric Taino was there. Anyways, my cousin played mixed dubs against Eric and this middle aged woman. Safe to say Eric adjusted his game to everybody else's pace. The kicker was my cousin did not know who Eric was and when they got done, my cousin said to us"That guy is good", refering to Eric. Everybody just burst laughing.

gmlasam
03-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Here's a funny story...I went to visit relatives in New Jersey and my cousin invited me to play in their "socials" and it just so happened that Eric Taino was there. Anyways, my cousin played mixed dubs against Eric and this middle aged woman. Safe to say Eric adjusted his game to everybody else's pace. The kicker was my cousin did not know who Eric was and when they got done, my cousin said to us"That guy is good", refering to Eric. Everybody just burst laughing.Hmmm...now you all can laugh at me as well, but who the hell is Eric Taino??? He is a ranked ATP Pro? The only Filipino I know of that actually made Pro and was ranked was Cecil Mamit. Does Eric play as good as him?

mabuhay
03-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Hmmm...now you all can laugh at me as well, but who the hell is Eric Taino??? He is a ranked ATP Pro? The only Filipino I know of that actually made Pro and was ranked was Cecil Mamit. Does Eric play as good as him?

yes, eric taino is a ranked ATP pro. i think he's career high was probably ranked somewhere in 120's and mamiit was around 70's. he's pretty good, saw him two years ago at the mercedes benz cup here in l.a. and he beat hyung taik lee. i also saw mamiit and taino played an exhibition match in pacific palm resort (city of industry) probably 2 yrs. ago. it was pretty nice but the rain stopped the match :(

tennis-n-sc
03-23-2005, 03:15 PM
Why go to the trouble of becoming an American citizen if you want to retain all your former culture, language, allegiance, etc. I think that is what a lot of American's have a problem with. Most of us are from somewhere else but our first generation relatives only wanted to be American. That is the issue with a lot of today's immigrants. They want to come for all the material offerings but don't want to really be American in heart and soul. Nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage but when you come to America, come all the way.

bookem
03-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Hey NW Tennis....

Didn't I buy a Yonnie from you in Guam? hehehe...

nw tennis
03-23-2005, 06:01 PM
bookem,

i think you did. two of them, if i remember correctly.

rommil
03-23-2005, 09:09 PM
Why go to the trouble of becoming an American citizen if you want to retain all your former culture, language, allegiance, etc. I think that is what a lot of American's have a problem with. Most of us are from somewhere else but our first generation relatives only wanted to be American. That is the issue with a lot of today's immigrants. They want to come for all the material offerings but don't want to really be American in heart and soul. Nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage but when you come to America, come all the way.
How about if you can make the best of both worlds and culture and integrate it in you as one person? That would make you a better person, wouldn't you think so?Please do not make it sound like we are sucking America's resources considering we put in hard work and pay our taxes too. Yet how do you define an all the way American by the way? I do not know from what descent you are of but I bet somehow you have family influences that's derived from another nationality/culture. I have learned the English language, I put in an honest days work, I pay my taxes, I voted, I pledged allegiance to the American government and ultimately I try to do things to make me a better individual. Filipinos, among other cultures, puts emphasis on the value of family and I intend to retain that.

tennis-n-sc
03-24-2005, 06:45 AM
Rommil, I have no issue with every word you have said and in my opinion, it amplifies everything I stated in my post. Congratulations on your citizenship and welcome! By the way, I spent several months in the P.I., and came to love the country and people.

gmlasam
03-24-2005, 06:54 AM
Rommil, I have no issue with every word you have said and in my opinion, it amplifies everything I stated in my post. Congratulations on your citizenship and welcome! By the way, I spent several months in the P.I., and came to love the country and people.
How is it like over there? Is it like Hawaii?

mabuhay
03-24-2005, 07:06 AM
How is it like over there? Is it like Hawaii?

yup, tropical! the fruits tastes better. of course, there are ghetto areas but what country doesn't? tourists spot is a must see!

atatu
03-24-2005, 07:48 AM
Yeah, well my grandparents were second generation Japanese and they just wanted to be "American" - didn't learn Japanese, etc. But when WWII broke out they were put in a prison camp along with thousands of other American citizens, so in the end I don't think it matters what you really "want to be American" as tennis-n-sc says.

By the way, if you want to read a great book about being a
Filipino in America in the 40's, read Carlos Bulosan's "America is in the Heart" - a great book. Back to Tennis, I think Taino was ranked in the top 60 in doubles at one time.

rommil
03-24-2005, 08:25 AM
If you intend to play tennis in the Philippines, you will get to know the "real" meaning of hard courts. A lot of them are concrete courts with lines painted over them so the ball skids and will fly by you lol.And if you get to play in these little match ups where people place bets on the game, then you will know how nervous you can really get.

Tennis_baller
03-24-2005, 08:31 AM
^^ Really? Cool. I'm going back there for vacation, and there's supposed to be some community tournament. I don't know haw small/big it is. Probably small. Well, nobody would bet on us; I'm still in juniors.

tennis-n-sc
03-24-2005, 11:23 AM
atatu, that was one of many black marks in American history. Another was the hatred shown Irish-Catholic immigrants, my ancestors. In view of all that, I'm in no hurry to move back to Ireland, although I'm free to do so anytime I like, if they'll have me. Think I'll just stay here. It's never easy to immigrant but I do believe the quicker one assimilates into the culture of the adopted homeland, the easier it becomes.

gmlasm-as I recall the Phillipines, they are tropical lilke Hawaii, but much less commercialized and unspoiled. My favorite places were the beaches and mountains of northern Luzon.

rommil
03-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Believe me some people will bet on anything lol...

bee
03-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Not filipino, but consider it almost a second home as I've been there five times now. Play a lot at the Cebu Country Club on the slow clay (or is that ground shell?). The people in the Philippines have always been very kind to me and they have such good values. We can all learn a lot from people from the Philippines. I have such good feelings about the place.

Camilio Pascual
03-24-2005, 12:16 PM
most aussies don't care about money they care about how much welfare they can get from the government.. italians dont..

Is this the same Italy (in Europe) that almost went Communist in the mid 70's? There was a welfare state mentality going on, I know, I was there.
Come to think of it, maybe you have a point. Maybe they decided to straighten up and fly right in the last 30 years. Bad, lazy grandparents!!! LOL

mabuhay
03-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Not filipino, but consider it almost a second home as I've been there five times now. Play a lot at the Cebu Country Club on the slow clay (or is that ground shell?). The people in the Philippines have always been very kind to me and they have such good values. We can all learn a lot from people from the Philippines. I have such good feelings about the place.

nice to hear that. i haven't been in cebu but i heard that the ladies there are pretty because of the spanish blood, am i right? lol! :D

eggnog
03-24-2005, 12:53 PM
I just discovered this topic today!! My name is Andy Aganad. born and raised in california of Ilocano parents. Married to a beautiful Philippines born and raised Manila girl from Zambales. Hey "Prince of Tennis" in San Jose, I live in the Evergreen area of San Jose!! Where are you?

I am middle-aged and play social tennis only. I supposed if I could play every day I'd be a 4.0 NTRP. That is what I used to be in college. My friends in school had trouble pronouncing my last name. I spelled it for them, one guy says,"It looks like eggnog!", and thus my handle here on TW. Do a search on my name... I've been posting and trading off and on on TW for years.

Just a few things to rattle off:

Please let's not get carried away on the ethnicity vs. nationality thing. I've seen it discussed to death in other Filipino forums.

Here in my area of San Jose, the courts are filled with a mixture of Vietnamese, Chinese, Filipino, Indian, white, just like the composition of the neighborhoods. I play with my Filipino barcada at a local high school. Sometimes we'd form a team and play other teams from S.F., Daly City, Union City or Fremont. Not much anymore.

Mamiit is a good solid player but he has almost faded away. Another example of NCAA success not guaranteeing anything in the Pros. Other Filipino pros? Do any of you remember two Filipino siblings in the late 70's or early 80's, I believe they were from San Diego or National City. They were the first Filipinos on the tour that I recall. Can't remember their names, family name might be Mendoza or something. Someone else might know. The girl played Chris Evert one time in a local tournament and almost beat her, so she was very good.

I will check this forum again and see what you all are talking about.

cheers,
Andy Eggnog

jayserinos99
03-24-2005, 01:35 PM

Here's a link that might be helpful.
http://www.angelfire.com/id/ustc/philtahistory.htm

It speaks to some of the issues raised here, about the state of Philippine tennis. During the 80s, when I lived in Guam, I was able to see many of their top players play, including Rod Rafael, Felix Barrientos, Roland So, Manuel Tolentino and Joseph Lizardo and Andres Battad. Many, most notably So and Barrientos, were quite competitive in the states as juniors or collegians, but never achieved great success as professionals. They played Davis Cup and many satellite and challenger-level tour events. I do know some of them are still involved in the sport. Andres Battad runs a tennis school out of Hong Kong and the Philippines.

By the way, does anyone out there know where Rex Calaunan is, and what he's doing tennis-wise? I used to hit with him regularly when he was a 10- to 12-year-old junior player in Guam. I lost track after he went to the UW, then transferred back to the Bay Area and played for St. Mary's.

Rex works in San Francisco. Last I heard he was trying to make one more run; my friend used to work with his wife at Lockheed. I was supposed to hit with Rex but that fell through.

Growing up in Hayward, I got to hit with Manny Tolentino when he was still in Union City (mid 90s). I don't know where he's at now but I remember when I hit with him he had some pretty nasty topspin.

nw tennis
03-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Growing up in Hayward, I got to hit with Manny Tolentino when he was still in Union City (mid 90s). I don't know where he's at now but I remember when I hit with him he had some pretty nasty topspin.

I remember Manny's forehand. It seemed to defy the laws of physics. About as extreme a western grip as you can get.

bee
03-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Mabuhay...yes, you're right. Nice, pretty and generally cheerful and fun to be with.

gmlasam
03-24-2005, 02:30 PM
nice to hear that. i haven't been in cebu but i heard that the ladies there are pretty because of the spanish blood, am i right? lol! :D
Hhhehehe..I also hear that ladies in Madrid, Spain are also very pretty. I guess it is also the Spanish blood :)

jayserinos99
03-24-2005, 02:32 PM
I just discovered this topic today!! My name is Andy Aganad. Hey "Prince of Tennis" in San Jose, I live in the Evergreen area of San Jose!! Where are you?

What's up Andy. I'm in San Jose too, right near the airport. Prince of Tennis, you wouldn't happen to be the guy that plays at the courts off of 13th st.?

mabuhay
03-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Hhhehehe..I also hear that ladies in Madrid, Spain are also very pretty. I guess it is also the Spanish blood :)

oh really? i didn't know that there are spanish in spain :confused:

;)

Prince_of_Tennis
03-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Yah thats me!!!

eggnog
03-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Well, Prince of Tennis & JayS,

Nice to meet more Filipino tennis players in San Jose, CA. I must meet you guys some time but only if you are not better than me!! Anyway, 13th street, Backesto Park used to be my hangout 20 years ago. In fact we still have our house nearby there on 21st street, 8 blocks away.

You S.F. people, anybody happen to know Rimsky Ramos and the Nepomuceno family (Byron, Ives). They are pretty much my contemporaries. Hope they are well, and still playing.

Andy

Prince_of_Tennis
03-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Wow 20 years ago you must old lol. I'm still a youngin' so you'll probably smack me around. Nope I don't know any of those people.

fershpnoy
03-27-2005, 04:35 PM
me, hi.. whats up to all...

Prince_of_Tennis
03-27-2005, 04:48 PM
yo fershpnoy...Where you from?

skittles
03-28-2005, 01:23 AM
Pacific islander or asian??? i have long debates with my friends about this partly because i enjoy debates and also because i have alot of pride in myself and what i believe in.

mach1
03-28-2005, 02:47 AM
Yeah...more San Jose filipino tennis players. We should start a league! Filipino-American Tennis League: South Bay Chapter...hehehe.

Noelle
03-28-2005, 07:16 AM
Pacific islander or asian??? i have long debates with my friends about this partly because i enjoy debates and also because i have alot of pride in myself and what i believe in.
Well, the Philippines is formally identified with Southeast Asia and is believed to be culturally distinct from the Pacific islander cultures (i.e. Polynesia, Guinea).

mabuhay
03-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Well, the Philippines is formally identified with Southeast Asia and is believed to be culturally distinct from the Pacific islander cultures (i.e. Polynesia, Guinea).

http://online.startribune.com/forum/images/smiley_icons/icon_nod.gif

nice backhand noelle :)

Prince_of_Tennis
03-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Yeah...more San Jose filipino tennis players. We should start a league! Filipino-American Tennis League: South Bay Chapter...hehehe.

Haha I'm pretty sure there is on already. Consisting of old filipinos. But if there isn't there should be dammit. I'm one of two filipinos playing at Bakesto :(

mach1
04-02-2005, 07:56 PM
dang old people haha jk...what about the youth?!?lol

Prince_of_Tennis
04-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Old people suck!!! :mrgreen:

baselinebrawler
04-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Any filipino players in southern cali? Or central cali? My little bro fought his way up to #1 singles in his high school in central cali. He plays for Delano High School. If anyone plays for a school that plays Delano his name is Eric.

On my first question I live in southern cali and I am always looking for nice people to play with. I have not encountered alot of filipinos in the LA area that play tennis, but I would love to meet some.

Prince_of_Tennis
04-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Maybe next time I'm in Eagle Rock we could hit...

baselinebrawler
04-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Sounds like a plan. Lemme know.

jpsigchi
04-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Any filipinos from New York here?

Aonex
04-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Not from New York, but live in Manhattan now.

jc_rex
04-11-2005, 02:33 PM
hey, i'm new here, and am a filipino also... :D

Prince_of_Tennis
04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
http://www.tristancafe.com/music/flash/jumbohotdog.html

Just wanted to share this...This is a pretty funny song

gmlasam
04-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Just wondering. Are there any USTP or ATP tournaments held in the Philippines?

Prince_of_Tennis
04-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Just wondering. Are there any USTP or ATP tournaments held in the Philippines?

As far as I know thats a no. 100% no

gmlasam
04-12-2005, 06:13 PM
As far as I know thats a no. 100% no
Why so? Isn't tennis popular in the philippines?

mabuhay
04-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Why so? Isn't tennis popular in the philippines?

tennis isn't popular in the philippines because it is just too expensive for the people there. most of the 'em thinks that tennis is for rich people only, just like golf. i heard that they had a philippine davis cup before, i don't know if they still have it though. also, my tennis friend told me that they have good players in the philippines but the corrupt government won't support them to travel here... sad but true.

baselinebrawler
04-13-2005, 01:48 PM
so are the only sports that they support are boxing, billiards and whatever sports are featured at the olympics? Seems that Pacquiao, Reyes, Bustamante and the olympians got to travel around to compete. Tennis would seem like a good way to introduce the world to the culture. I mean Paradorn did wonders for Thailand.

bookem
04-13-2005, 06:45 PM
The Philippines continues to participate in Davis Cup ties... although they lost to S Korea in Feb, they will have a playoff vs Lebanon in July.

From what I have seen, tennis (or lack thereof) in the PI may be attributable to the following factors:

Perception as elitist. It seems there are 2 routes to playing: (1) being of means whereby one can belong to a club, or (2) not being of means and working at said club or public facility. (1) has probably been experienced or seen by anyone visiting/from the PI. (2) can be found at places like Luneta where the 'ballboys' or 'assistant instructors' work for near-peanuts, try to earn decent tips, and yet get an opportunity to play as much as possible.
Facilities. With Metro Manila the way it is, land is far too valuable for a huge complex, unless it's been around like the Polo Club or Valle Verde.
Concentration on junior events. Check out the number of tournaments that PHILTA organizes. There's about 20 junior events to every 1 for adults (and then... they're mostly interclub play).
Economics. Racquets are expensive as are balls (ironic considering that the TW Message Board popular Dunlops are made in the PI). Text messaging is the sport of choice :) ...

It's too bad... because as I've said in a previous post, Pinoys can be found everywhere and are some of the nicest, most enthusiastic tennis fans I've come across in my travels.

Oh well... just continue to present and represent your respective heritage well and proudly...

Tennis_baller
04-13-2005, 07:03 PM
so are the only sports that they support are boxing, billiards and whatever sports are featured at the olympics?
You missed chicken fighting..... j/k Don't get mad at me just had to say it.

Prince_of_Tennis
04-13-2005, 07:16 PM
c_o_c_k fights thats a spanish thing...They should have extreme tinikling that would be crazy...

Noelle
04-15-2005, 09:40 AM
tennis isn't popular in the philippines because it is just too expensive for the people there. most of the 'em thinks that tennis is for rich people only, just like golf.
I live in the Philippines, and tennis is expensive for working-class people. Sadly, it's a sport for the upper middle class, but people perceive golf to have a higher status, especially since an important golf tournament was held here about eight years ago.

they have good players in the philippines but the corrupt government won't support them to travel here... sad but true.
I'm not sure the corruption is a huge factor in the decision not to support Philippine tennis, but I think it's due to the priority assigned to sports. If you've got a huge foreign debt to repay and you're fighting a war down in Mindanao, you'd dedicate more resources to debt service and the military rather than "frivolous" sport.

Even the professional basketball leagues the Philippine Basketball Association and the Philippine Basketball League have teams that carry a corporation's name, not a certain locality's name (i.e. San Miguel basketball team versus a team called the "L.A. Lakers").

Prince_of_Tennis
07-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Brought back from the dead. Just wondering if we had any new filipinos join the board?

Tennis_baller
07-20-2005, 07:09 AM
MEEEE... but im old here, sorry

tennis-n-sc
07-20-2005, 08:29 AM
I was stationed at Clark AFB in the 60's and loved the country and people. I traveled as much of the country as time allowed. I have always wanted the economy to improve and the political structure to strengthen with visionary people. There is no reason it can't. Other countries in the region are beginning to prosper and I really want the Philippines to benefit. What do you all see as the most pressing needs?

baselinebrawler
07-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Well maybe one of the first things is to try and get a government that is not corrupt. I mean when your leaders don't care about the people and are only out for themselves then the people and country will suffer. But it seems if someone steps up for the people they are quickly assasinated and the cycle repeats itself. I would love to hear everyone elses thoughts.

Noelle
07-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Personally I think what the Philippines needs is a swift kick in the--oh wait, it's gotten that already? On its knees in pain already? ;)

What it needs is a major moral and attitudinal change in the individuals (myself included). We don't usually do the "right" thing because it doesn't get us anywhere, at least where immediate benefits to self are concerned. So we do what will benefit us and our immediate family/friends, and to hell with the rest of the country. Corruption is simply a logical extension of this basic behavior.

There's just no long-term thinking in this land where a large majority of the people live a hand-to-mouth existence.

tennis-n-sc
07-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Do most young people desire to leave, or is there a stay and fix thought process?

Prince_of_Tennis
07-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Bring back the Marcos regime...His son who is the current governor/mayor? of Ilocos Norte should step up.

The situation the president is in now wooooo in deep poo...

bookem
07-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Noelle...

Would you venture to say that the corruption and myopic vision are a negative legacy of the Spanish? I've travelled quite a bit and was amazed to see the similarity in outlook, situation, and general malaise in Latin America. Guess all those centuries of preserving the estancia-hacienda system of exclusion has devolved into the current state of things..

I'm still astounded by the breadth of the Filipino dispersion throughout the world (and yes I know it's primarily because of cheap skilled labor)... If you ever are curious, watch TFC sometime and look at all the addresses for their contests/news etc...

tennis-n-sc
07-20-2005, 01:15 PM
bookem, some very interesting thoughts regarding the Spanish influence world wide.

krnboijunsung
07-20-2005, 08:02 PM
I'd like to add that flip people are hot.

I didn't know so many people here were philipinos.

eqc6
07-20-2005, 08:08 PM
I'd like to add that flip people are hot.

I didn't know so many people here were philipinos.

haha

Thanks for bumping this. I never knew such a thread was made, but how would I know, I'm new here heh. I'm surprised there's alot of Filipinos here.

<===Born at Murphy, Quezon City and now resides at NJ :mrgreen:

ch4ng
07-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Flip Rite Here

Noelle
07-21-2005, 01:40 AM
Do most young people desire to leave, or is there a stay and fix thought process?
I'd like to think I'm one of those people who'd like to stay and try to make things better. Unfortunately, even though this a country of the young (I think 60% are under 50 years old), and despite some cosmetic alterations, the government is still run by the old farts who've been here since the Marcos regime. Speaking of which...

Bring back the Marcos regime...His son who is the current governor/mayor? of Ilocos Norte should step up.
Absolutely not. Marcos and his cronies got this country in the deep financial deficit it's been in for two decades. His actions politicized the army, polarized society, and overall made it part of historical process to oust people instead of trying to remove them by legal means.

The situation the president is in now wooooo in deep poo...
It's actually not as chaotic as The Filipino Channel makes it look. There are a lot of noisy groups clamoring for her resignation, but they're actually a minority. The functional majority, which is the middle class, is so far taking a wait-and-see position and are more than willing to let an impeachment process take its course. Whether President Arroyo wants to resign should be up to her. Removal should only be through legal and constitutional means.

Would you venture to say that the corruption and myopic vision are a negative legacy of the Spanish?
If you've seen it in other former Spanish colonies, I guess there could be a correlation there. :) Actually it could be part of a slave mentality fostered by the colonization, since the easiest way to make it in a society where you're a slave is to cheat your master. This has carried over to the present, where we Filipinos living here thumb our noses at the law and authorities (our "masters"). Though we may be liberated in terms of sovereignty and suffrage, the real slavery is in our minds.

tennis-n-sc
07-21-2005, 04:58 AM
Noelle, I am very, very impressed with your intelligent insight into these political and emotional issues. Especially for such a young person. Bookem, same thing. Both of you need to go way farther in terms of getting your views out to others. This could be in areas of politics, journalism or independent activism. If you represent the youth of the area, I would think it could not be in better hands. I do not know your ages or educational levels, but you have the ability to make an impression on someone with only a passing interest. Please keep it up.

bookem
07-21-2005, 05:23 AM
Noelle... Interesting point about slave/master mentality. I'd probably take it one step further and suggest that another way for the slave to cope with the master is to leave the estate for a "better" life; unfortunately, from the various Filipino communities I've seen around the world, most of what results (particularly in the US) is that they themselves become self-congratulatory masters. Here's a funny albeit pathetic example: how many Filipino organizations are in a community? I honestly can't recall the number of provinces (76?) yet instead of 76 organizations (ex: Ilocano Assn of wherever), there are at least 2 representative of each province. Why? Because the losers of the election do not seem to accept the loss and instead start their own organization!

Which brings us to the slavery of the mind. Many stories (and jokes) have been made about the so-called Filipino Crab Mentality... Perhaps it was fostered by the hacienderos to keep the estate workers busy fighting amongst themselves and not address their true plight. Just a thought...

To our friend in SC, thanks for the kind words. I mean, really kind. Although I think I'm young at heart, suffice it to say I grew up admiring Muscles, Rocket, Nasty, and the young Jimbo :D . I spent some of my supposed "adult" years trying to combine the insanity of yuppie career/lifestyle pursuits with more meaningful civic and social causes. Thankfully, I lifestyled out of the y-word and have returned to more basic and life-meaningful values. And, of course, tennis...

tennis-n-sc
07-21-2005, 06:31 AM
Bookem, good for you. As you state, the real meaning of life may be found in the pursuit of a decent backhand.

bookem
07-21-2005, 06:55 AM
And a slice BH at that... ;)

Aonex
07-21-2005, 07:19 AM
You know, speaking of this crab-mentality, I don't think that's unique to cultures that had been under spanish colonization. I work in the Bronx and most of the people I work with are African-American. From most of the conversations I've had with them, they seem to have the same criticism of their own culture, that black people don't look out for one another. With that, it looks like Noelle is on to something with the legacy that is left from slavery, or forms of slavery such as colonization.

Noelle
07-21-2005, 07:58 AM
I don't think it was actually my idea, this "slave mentality." I think I actually managed to digest some stuff I absorbed via osmosis of my PolSci and History readings plus a smattering of newspaper op-ed articles. :o But it's as likely a theory as any out there. Sometimes I even find it verified in my own actions.

AngeloDS
07-21-2005, 10:33 AM
I'm from San Fernando Pampanga hahaha, ;) so I'm Kapampangan. I still retain bits of my dialect (Kapampangan), and am a little choppy on the speaking tagalog.

I'm in Washington now, heh.

I had this dream when I first started playing tennis to become the #1 player in the Philippines, be a superstar and do something to make tennis extremely popular to everyone there.

__jt__
07-21-2005, 10:49 AM
This one's a bit different from what you guys are talking about...The other day, i was walking around the mall and there was this guy who mentioned something about Filipinos...he said something like Filipinos are made for baby-sitting jobs, cleaning tables, janitorial jobs etc. In other words, he was saying that we, Filipinos, are only made for labour-intensive jobs (im not sure if they're called blue-collared jobs or white-collared jobs). That's actually not true because there are a lot of Filipinos around the world who are very successful in the field they're in. For example, there are Filipinos all over the world who are government, both local and national, officials. There are also successful Filipino doctors, teachers, lawyers etc. around the world.

Some of you might think they are the ones who were born from families who are wealthy, but most of them come from the same situation as all the other Filipinos in the Philippines - living from paycheck to paycheck and making ends meet in order to sustain the bare necesities (sp?) that their families need. Like most of the immigrants from differrent countries, Filipinos do not get all the things they want all in an instant. Instead, we work our butts off in order to get what we want. For example, a lot of people from various places escape poverty by going to other countries that they know nothing of and work hard in order to help their families. I consider them as honourable people.

Going back to Filipinos working abroad without their loved-ones, my uncle works in the middle-east in order support his family. He gets to see his family once every two years because going to the Philippines from the middle-east is expensive.

Unfotunately, a lot of people take things for granted. Im saying all these things as a 15 year old kid who never got everything that i wanted and had to be separated from my mom for quite sometime in order to get to where i am now, in Canada.

tennis-n-sc
07-21-2005, 12:02 PM
jt, Flipinos are good at fighting. I hope you punched the punk in the mouth that made those comments.

My comments come from someone who is about as white as they come but spent some time in Philippines with the military in the 60's. Not nearly the same as living there. I recall the natural beauty of the area when I was there as well as the wonderful people. I was there when Marcos was first elected and I recall it was not a peaceful election. Several polling buildings were burned and blown up, people were killed, some were asasinated. Seems as if he was in power forever, under the guise of being elected. I had hoped the islands would have progressed by now because of the resources of the land and people. I think many people around the world are pulling for you. I am afraid it will be a difficult to seat a government that is "of the people, by the people and for the people". But it always is difficult.

mabuhay
07-21-2005, 12:08 PM
jt, Flipinos are good at fighting. I hope you punched the punk in the mouth that made those comments.

i hope Manny Pacquiao does...lol!

bookem
07-21-2005, 02:36 PM
jt, OCWs are a sad but inevitable product of a country which has educated, bilingual, and skilled labor (both white- and blue-collar) but lacks the opportunities wherein those people can be used.

Instead, they have to go abroad. As for those comments, I can tell you from personal experience that quite a few of those so-called low labor jobs are filled by HIGHLY underutilized, HIGHLY educated people who couldn't or can't obtain the necessary certifications or visas to work in their chosen profession. I've known attorneys, physicians, accountants (CPAs), and engineers who were forced to take positions beneath their education such as paralegals/clerks, medical technicians/LPNs, bookkeepers, and construction workers and that's vaguely within their field. I've also known others who were forced to take other jobs such as cab drivers, hotel porters/maids/security guards, waiters/waitresses, and salesclerks.

Be VERY thankful for a conscientious mother who worked hard, sacrificed valuable time, and endured who-knows-what in order to make a better life for you. Some of the 2nd and 3rd generation "Fil-Ams" I've known have taken that for granted and look down on the FOBs; shame on them-- they perpetuate what the Spanish for generations did to Filipinos.

BTW, the OCW experience is not unique to Filipinos; look at the Irish, Italians, and Jews during the 19th and early 20th century. What MAY be unique is that the average OCW does not want to emigrate, but merely attain and maintain a better economic situation for themselves and their families.

AngeloDS
07-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Philippines has a good education system. I think the Middle School and High School system in the Philippines is a lot better than the United States.

When I was in the Philippines for a bit. I took 10 classes a day, started from 7:15 AM ended around 5 PM. A lot of people graduate around there are of 16. There just isn't a lot of opportunity in the Philippines. The education is good at that level, but when it comes to colleges. They're really lacking.

I wish it was a bit more modernized like Japan or South Korea. It has the ability, because of the ties with the United States and location of the Philippines. But I don't see that happening any-time soon.

Noelle
07-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Philippines has a good education system. I think the Middle School and High School system in the Philippines is a lot better than the United States.
Not true. There's a huge disparity between the public education system and the private education system here in the Philippines. The government just does not budget enough resources to sustain or even improve the public schools, which are overcrowded and the teachers overworked. The private schools, most of them run by religious orders, have all the resources (the best teachers, the best materials), but they're also expensive to get into.

I think I read an article that less than half of the children who start elementary school actually end up completing it and going on to high school. The attrition rate is high because most people simply can't pay for education, and neither does the government.

I should mention that in the Philippines, having only a high school degree guarantees a person *****. Even a McDonalds food server needs to have completed at least two years of college.

The colleges and universities are great--if you can get into them. The privately-run colleges and universities are expensive. The public universities can only accept so many applicants: you've got to pass their entrance exam and have excellent grades in high school. Those who have had better education in the elementary and high school level (usually from private schools) have a better chance at passing the entrance exams and actually being able to pay the tuition. Thus, college attendance is lopsided in favor of the affluent.

VAmazona
07-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Looks like I walked into the middle of some discussion, but I am Filipino, if y'all were still doing that.

Noelle
07-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Hey VAmazona. :) Actually the discussion's been over for about four days (IMO it was getting a bit heavy and political). Thanks for bumping the thread up. ;)

TwistServe
07-27-2005, 01:06 AM
My first girlfriend was part filipina/chinese/spainard.. they can be pretty amazing.. real tight packages... but now i prefer the blue eye blonde hair sometimes red with green is nice too

TwistServe
07-27-2005, 01:10 AM
I can't believe I didn't spot this thread earlier. I'm a Filipino from Manila!

No you're a filipina!

Phil
07-27-2005, 01:31 AM
Not true. There's a huge disparity between the public education system and the private education system here in the Philippines. The government just does not budget enough resources to sustain or even improve the public schools, which are overcrowded and the teachers overworked. The private schools, most of them run by religious orders, have all the resources (the best teachers, the best materials), but they're also expensive to get into.

I think I read an article that less than half of the children who start elementary school actually end up completing it and going on to high school. The attrition rate is high because most people simply can't pay for education, and neither does the government.

I should mention that in the Philippines, having only a high school degree guarantees a person *****. Even a McDonalds food server needs to have completed at least two years of college.

The colleges and universities are great--if you can get into them. The privately-run colleges and universities are expensive. The public universities can only accept so many applicants: you've got to pass their entrance exam and have excellent grades in high school. Those who have had better education in the elementary and high school level (usually from private schools) have a better chance at passing the entrance exams and actually being able to pay the tuition. Thus, college attendance is lopsided in favor of the affluent.

Outstanding post. You know your stuff and express yourself very well. I'm always looking for "inside dope" on Asian countries; the type of information not necessarily found in the mainstream media (as my job depends on being up-to-date on Asian countries), and it's always a pleasure to find this level of detail...Never thought I'd find it on the TW Board, though.

BTW, I stole one of your comments from another RP post awhile back-in response to why the country can't seem to turn the corner economically even with new leaders coming in every so often, you said something like, "It's like replacing the driver but never doing anything about the lousy, broke-down engine..." Dropped it in a conversation and got a laugh. Sorry, didn't provide attribution (I STOLE it after all-apologies).

Noelle
07-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Well, I never thought I'd be drawn into a complex discussion of Philippine economics and politics on a tennis forum as well, but this IS Odds & Ends. ;) Thanks for the compliment, and no worries about the attribution, Phil. I was actually planning to steal "I fart in your general direction"... :D

TwistServe
07-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Outstanding post. You know your stuff and express yourself very well. I'm always looking for "inside dope" on Asian countries;

I'm not sure why people don't consider the Philippines a pacific islander country as oppose to Asian but here it clearly states that U.S. Census calls them Azn.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/p/pa/pacific_islander.htm

Phil
07-27-2005, 01:46 AM
I'm not sure why people don't consider the Philippines a pacific islander country as oppose to Asian but here it clearly states that U.S. Census calls them Azn.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/p/pa/pacific_islander.htm

You aren't sure? Well, no one considers the Philippines a "pacific islander (sic)" country BECAUSE IT ISN'T! Anyway, Dude, did you actually READ the link page that you posted?

" Inhabitants of (Any of the Sino-Tibetan languages spoken in China; regarded as dialects of a single language (even though they are mutually unintelligible) because they share an ideographic writing system) Chinese (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/c/ch/china.htm), (A native or inhabitant of Japan) Japanese (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/j/ja/japan.htm), (Official language of the Philippines; based on Tagalog; draws its lexicon from other Philippine languages) Philippine (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/p/ph/philippines.htm), and (The dialect of Malay used as the national language of the Republic of Indonesia or of Malaysia) Indonesian (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/i/in/indonesia.htm) islands are not considered Pacific Islanders and are classified as "Asians" on the (Click link for more info and facts about U.S. Census) U.S. Census (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/u/u/u.s._census1.htm)."

Noelle
07-27-2005, 01:47 AM
Like I said earlier in this thread, we identify ourselves with the Southeast Asian countries. Here are some of the reasons.

CULTURAL and GENETIC LINK: There was a lot of inter-immigration between the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries (like Indonesia and Malaysia) before the Spanish conquest. There's even a province here in the Philippines with a language quite similar to Bahasa Malaysia/Indonesia. There are folk dances that are visually the same, but only set to different music (itik-itik is similar to a folk dance performed in Thailand).

It's also worth mentioning that there really are similarities between the Southeast Asians with regard to physical appearance (face and build).

POLITICAL LINK: For example, we have the Sabah land dispute with Malaysia because we claim that Sabah is land loaned to the Malaysians by a local royal family in the southern Philippines (Mindanao).

The Philippines is also a founding member of ASEAN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASEAN).

I don't doubt that there are also relationships between the Philippine culture and the Pacific Polynesian cultures. It's just that we feel there are stronger links with insular and peninsular Southeast Asia.

TwistServe
07-27-2005, 01:49 AM
You aren't sure? Well, no one considers the Philippines a "pacific islander (sic)" country BECAUSE IT ISN'T! Anyway, Dude, did you actually READ the link page that you posted?

" Inhabitants of (Any of the Sino-Tibetan languages spoken in China; regarded as dialects of a single language (even though they are mutually unintelligible) because they share an ideographic writing system) Chinese (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/c/ch/china.htm), (A native or inhabitant of Japan) Japanese (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/j/ja/japan.htm), (Official language of the Philippines; based on Tagalog; draws its lexicon from other Philippine languages) Philippine (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/p/ph/philippines.htm), and (The dialect of Malay used as the national language of the Republic of Indonesia or of Malaysia) Indonesian (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/i/in/indonesia.htm) islands are not considered Pacific Islanders and are classified as "Asians" on the (Click link for more info and facts about U.S. Census) U.S. Census (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/u/u/u.s._census1.htm)."

I take the base definition of the word.. Pacific Islander being the islands in the pacific... apparently i'm not alone .. if i was alone they wouldn't have made the clarification in the article.

Phil
07-27-2005, 01:56 AM
I take the base definition of the word.. Pacific Islander being the islands in the pacific... apparently i'm not alone .. if i was alone they wouldn't have made the clarification in the article.

You can take any definition of the word you want; you're still wrong. I don't even know who USES that term anymore, as an official classification. Maybe GILLIGAN'S ISLAND is considereed a "Pacific Island". The Philippines are part of Asia, just as Japan, Taiwan, Hainan and other "Pacific Islands" are part of Asia.

TwistServe
07-27-2005, 01:59 AM
You can take any definition of the word you want; you're still wrong. I don't even know who USES that term anymore, as an official classification. Maybe GILLIGAN'S ISLAND is considereed a "Pacific Island". The Philippines are part of Asia, just as Japan, Taiwan, Hainan and other "Pacific Islands" are part of Asia.

Lol phil what am I wrong about.. Read my post again.. I said i'm not sure why they call it azn but according to the census it is azn...

So I'm wrong that I'm not sure why? At universities there are lots of Azn & Pacific Islander clubs.. Lots of forms you fill out there arent even Pacific Islander bubble and lots of them do.. I'm sure lots of people dont know the true classification.. but I never made a statement.. moreso I said i didn't know why.. and theres nothing wrong about not knowing why.

Phil
07-27-2005, 02:09 AM
Lol phil what am I wrong about.. Read my post again.. I said i'm not sure why they call it azn but according to the census it is azn...

So I'm wrong that I'm not sure why? At universities there are lots of Azn & Pacific Islander clubs.. Lots of forms you fill out there arent even Pacific Islander bubble and lots of them do.. I'm sure lots of people dont know the true classification.. but I never made a statement.. moreso I said i didn't know why.. and theres nothing wrong about not knowing why.

Dude, that last post of yours is near incomprensible. Are you back on the meth?

Looks like you're bored, just trolling around looking for an argument (e.g. your "Do Europeans Bathe" post), even where one doesn't exist-or where you don't have a clue about what you're talking about. I don't know what they do at lots of universities but whenever I've heard the term, it's referred, specifically, to those islands and countries well south of the Philippines (Micronesia, Polynesia, etc.). I'm not even gonna bother witchyu beyond that, cause you're now, officially, out of your depth...

It's way past your bedtime, little buddy.

Noelle
07-27-2005, 02:51 AM
So... any Filipinos here, still? ;)

bookem
07-27-2005, 03:29 AM
Um.... Micronesia is primarily EAST and SOUTHEAST of the RP (BTW, Micronesia from end-to-end is nearly the same distance from NYC to LA); Polynesia is also primarily Southeast.

In my experience, "Pacific Islander" has been the "et al" or catchall category for everyone NOT from Asia, the Philippines, or Australasia. Usually it's been applied to people from what is sometimes called Oceania.

As many peoples/dialects as there are in the PI (or RP to be PC), there are also myriads of peoples within the Pacific Islands and you would be naive (as well as insulting them) to think of them as culturally heterogeneous. They may be similar ethnically but they will argue to their last breath as to how different they are culturally. As an example, try telling a Solomon Islander that he is no different than a Chuukese; it'll be a laugh although the SI is more Polynesian.

TwistServe
07-27-2005, 06:45 AM
Dude, that last post of yours is near incomprensible. Are you back on the meth?

Looks like you're bored, just trolling around looking for an argument (e.g. your "Do Europeans Bathe" post), even where one doesn't exist-or where you don't have a clue about what you're talking about. I don't know what they do at lots of universities but whenever I've heard the term, it's referred, specifically, to those islands and countries well south of the Philippines (Micronesia, Polynesia, etc.). I'm not even gonna bother witchyu beyond that, cause you're now, officially, out of your depth...

It's way past your bedtime, little buddy.

Just woke up right now.. but I think I'll "cut you some slack" at this time.. no need to take over this thread..

GotGame?
07-27-2005, 07:28 AM
So... any Filipinos here, still? ;)

Okay, I'll show myself. I was born and raised in Pinas until I was two years of age, when I moved to the States. I'm from Metro Manila and haven't visited home for about six years.

I had a weird experience with a Filipino pro tennis player named Eric Taino once, some may have heard of him, I think he was born in New Jersey. I asked him for a signature and he bluntly told me he was not a tennis player. He may have been in a hurry or something, but that completely rubbed me the wrong way..

mabuhay
07-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Okay, I'll show myself. I was born and raised in Pinas until I was two years of age, when I moved to the States. I'm from Metro Manila and haven't visited home for about six years.

I had a weird experience with a Filipino pro tennis player named Eric Taino once, some may have heard of him, I think he was born in New Jersey. I asked him for a signature and he bluntly told me he was not a tennis player. He may have been in a hurry or something, but that completely rubbed me the wrong way..

wow! really? in my experience eric taino was very nice along with cecil mamitt. i met them in an exhibition in the city of industry, ca and they were very nice. i met them again last year at the mercedes cup here in l.a.. i was even talking to eric taino before he practiced. he was waiting for safin to finish his session. cecil mamiit still uses "po", i heard him say that alot when he was talking to my dad...lol!

Phil
07-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Um.... Micronesia is primarily EAST and SOUTHEAST of the RP (BTW, Micronesia from end-to-end is nearly the same distance from NYC to LA); Polynesia is also primarily Southeast.

In my experience, "Pacific Islander" has been the "et al" or catchall category for everyone NOT from Asia, the Philippines, or Australasia. Usually it's been applied to people from what is sometimes called Oceania.

As many peoples/dialects as there are in the PI (or RP to be PC), there are also myriads of peoples within the Pacific Islands and you would be naive (as well as insulting them) to think of them as culturally heterogeneous. They may be similar ethnically but they will argue to their last breath as to how different they are culturally. As an example, try telling a Solomon Islander that he is no different than a Chuukese; it'll be a laugh although the SI is more Polynesian.

I was generalizing on the location-they are BOTH SOUTH of the RP...I didn't feel a need to post precise coordinates, Mr. Nitpicker.

bookem
07-27-2005, 09:06 PM
All I can say is... check your geography Phil. I'm not nitpicking either but it's Melanesia that's south of the PI, not Polynesia or Micronesia.

If you want to get specific with countries, then Indonesia/Malaysia/Brunei etc etc etc...

Phil
07-27-2005, 09:28 PM
All I can say is... check your geography Phil. I'm not nitpicking either but it's Melanesia that's south of the PI, not Polynesia or Micronesia.

If you want to get specific with countries, then Indonesia/Malaysia/Brunei etc etc etc...

I did check, and you're right, bookem-Melanesia (and FRENCH Polynesia) are south. I stand corrected. Thank you.

bookem
07-27-2005, 09:46 PM
No prob--- always nice to have an enlightening, lively discussion... :)

lady_eowen
07-27-2005, 10:40 PM
i'm a pinoy too - from cebu city :D
i'm new here at TW. been playing tennis since i was 10 yrs old

noelle, i love your posts - insightful and interesting. keep posting :D

matchpoint
07-28-2005, 12:50 PM
I am a filipino too. Not to be mistaken with match point and Matchpoints, sorry guys, but when I registered here it did not reject my registration as the name being taken. It was too late for me when I realized there were aliases very similar to mine.

Anyways, I live in San Diego, CA. I was born in Pampanga (kabalen) but lived in Frisco, Quezon City.

We have very active filipino tennis clubs here in San Diego. I helped start ours which is called Mira Mesa Tennis club. We have about more or less 100 members, we are what they call weekend warriors (plays mostly in the mornings of saturday and sunday).

We have 4 tournaments (1 per season) a year. We have team tennis, singles, doubles and mixed doubles. We also play interclubs with some filipinos in LA and other clubs here in SD. We have members from the very young (8 years old) to the very old (70+). We love playing tennis and we encourage beginners and we conduct tennis clinics. Everyone is welcome to our club, we have some members who are not filipinos.

If you are in San Diego, visit us at the Miramar College it's in the intersection of Black mountain road and Goldcoast in Mira Mesa.

jayserinos99
07-28-2005, 02:01 PM
that's cool matchpoint, i plan on moving to san diego some day and i wouldn't mind finding some people to hit with down there.

baselinebrawler
07-28-2005, 04:29 PM
matchpoint -

Could you send me an email with some information on the filipinos that play in LA if they have a club or not. Also more information the tournaments in San Diego. I am trying to boost the interest of tennis in the central california area (that is where I am originally from). Thanks.

email is: eagpalza@hotmail.com

Tennis_baller
07-28-2005, 04:55 PM

Have you ever played at Baseline? that's in cebu city, right? yeah, i went there this summer. What exactly is that surface there?

matchpoint
07-28-2005, 05:28 PM
matchpoint -

Could you send me an email with some information on the filipinos that play in LA if they have a club or not. Also more information the tournaments in San Diego. I am trying to boost the interest of tennis in the central california area (that is where I am originally from). Thanks.

email is: eagpalza@hotmail.com

Sure baseline brawler, I'll guarantee you most of the filipinos in LA & SD have a club.

lady_eowen
07-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Have you ever played at Baseline? that's in cebu city, right? yeah, i went there this summer. What exactly is that surface there?

i'm not sure of the surface - i think it's a shell court

new_west
07-28-2005, 08:52 PM
i'm not fillipino..

but I do love Chicken Adobo!

oh yeah!

__jt__
07-28-2005, 11:45 PM

so lady_eowen, kasabut ka ug bisaya? sa davao ko nipuyo dati pero dili na karon. im not really fluent at it, but i can talk a lil bit in bisaya and understand most of it.

translation: so lady_eowen, do you understand bisaya (it's a philippine dialect)? i used to live in davao but not anymore. im not really fluent at it, but i can talk a lil bit in bisaya and understand most of it.

VolleyandServer
07-29-2005, 02:30 AM
I am Filipino too :) . I live in California, but for the meantime I am studying in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Tennis_baller
07-29-2005, 09:41 AM
so lady_eowen, kasabut ka ug bisaya? sa davao ko nipuyo dati pero dili na karon. im not really fluent at it, but i can talk a lil bit in bisaya and understand most of it.

ok, i'm going to give this one a wild shot. i can barely speak bisaya, but i wanna learn.

Sabut ko bisaya, apan dili pagsulti kaayo, gamay lang. Kay, bata ko........ when we moved out. magbalik ko....... every 4 years.

i know that stunk, but im 14 and was 10 months when i move from there.

__jt__
07-29-2005, 09:50 AM
ok, i'm going to give this one a wild shot. i can barely speak bisaya, but i wanna learn.

Sabut ko bisaya, apan dili pagsulti kaayo, gamay lang. Kay, bata ko........ when we moved out. magbalik ko....... every 4 years.

lol...nice try though...btw, where in the philippines are you from t_baller?

rommil
07-30-2005, 09:07 AM

Not bad. Got your point across. Ako Bisaya pod, from Bohol here but lived in Connecticut for about 10 years.

Tennis_baller
07-31-2005, 05:14 PM
lol...nice try though...btw, where in the philippines are you from t_baller?
I don't live there. but my famil's from Mindanao. my mom's from Magellanes and my dad's from Cabadbaran. now mostly everyone live in Butuan now.

lady_eowen
07-31-2005, 07:45 PM

translation: so lady_eowen, do you understand bisaya (it's a philippine dialect)? i used to live in davao but not anymore. im not really fluent at it, but i can talk a lil bit in bisaya and understand most of it.

yes, certified bisdak ko! ;) masabtan ra man imo bisaya :D

lady_eowen
07-31-2005, 07:47 PM

maayo pa man ka mo-bisaya lagi... [in english: you're still good in bisaya]
:D

lady_eowen
07-31-2005, 07:50 PM
I don't live there. but my famil's from Mindanao. my mom's from Magellanes and my dad's from Cabadbaran. now mostly everyone live in Butuan now.

hey Tennis_baller, i'm from nasipit - same province as butuan, magallanes and cabadbaran :D

Tennis_baller
08-01-2005, 07:20 AM
^^ my dad's family now lives in Cebu City too. He went to medical school there, i don't know which one.

POGO
08-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Here is an interesting article about Filipinos in the USA. Is this article pretty accurate?
http://www.geocities.com/benign0/agr-disagr/3-2-filam.html

http://www.filipinoamericans.net/yes_today.shtml

bookem
08-01-2005, 09:54 AM
POGO... it seems that the LA Times article fairly accurately reflects the Pinoy community in that area. While it may not be too far off from making a generalization about the USA community, I think there may be differences in particular issues (such as participation in local politics) when looking at the pockets of Pinoys such as Daly City (CA), Chicago, Honolulu, and Jacksonville.

What I found interesting in the article (and have also found in my experience) is that Filipinos in general are a well-educated and bilingual immigrant group. For example, most nurses in the US are Filipino, particularly in rural and geriatric/gerontologic clinics and rest areas. Most corporate accounting departments have Filipinos in them, particularly in the West and East coasts.

On the other hand, what I've always found perplexing is this: of all the pop subcultures a 2nd generation could emulate (not including their own), I found it interesting that most Fil-Ams look toward the African-American, not just the present hip-hop but going all the way back to the 70s funk etc. When I was at university most Fil-Am students gravitated toward the A-A (even hanging around the A-Phi-A's) but did not see themselves identifying with other Asian groups such as Japanese or Chinese (although, interestingly, quite a few had significant Chinese ancestry). A more recent example of this is G4TV's Street Fury show; notice how most of the girls are Filipina? If you ever visit an import auto show, look at the ethnicity of the models....

baselinebrawler
08-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Great articles POGO. I did not know we have the largest population of asian people in california. That is very surprising.

rommil
08-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Here is an interesting article about Filipinos in the USA. Is this article pretty accurate?
http://www.geocities.com/benign0/agr-disagr/3-2-filam.html

http://www.filipinoamericans.net/yes_today.shtml
I wonder how Prince is partly of Filipino descent. Anybody knows?

AngeloDS
08-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Haha, there's a lot of Filipino's and Asians in Washington. A lot of them are here because of stationing and such.

Hahaha, I just dislike the gangster filipinos. I remember during 4th of July, they always have a firework show @ the city beach here, and carnival. I was with my mom, and aunties and such. And I've never seen so many wanna-be gangster filipinos in my whole life.

Hahaha, anyways I would consider myself Asian. Taiwan is right above the Philippines and I'm pretty sure they're considered Asian.

ironchef21
08-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Wow, it's nice to see so many Filipinos represented here.

My parents are from Siquijor and moved to Ohio 30+ years ago where I was born.

One of my best friends here is Filipino and we're going to play tennis in about half an hour.

Ayo-ayo!

fist pump
08-10-2005, 10:12 PM
+1 more here.

Prince_of_Tennis
08-10-2005, 11:42 PM
I wonder how Prince is partly of Filipino descent. Anybody knows?

yes, prince is half pinoy.

dobolpolt
09-22-2005, 12:50 AM
hiyaa, pinoy here too in south bay. Where pinoys do usually play in San Jose,CA area? I'll stop by for fun matches, thnx

Prince_of_Tennis
09-22-2005, 11:48 AM
hiyaa, pinoy here too in south bay. Where pinoys do usually play in San Jose,CA area? I'll stop by for fun matches, thnx

We play at a lot of places. =)

San Jose Crew where are you guys?!?!

mabuhay
09-22-2005, 02:10 PM
2 d pinoys here: listen to Bamboo's "NOYPI"...

AlohaCinco
09-22-2005, 04:18 PM
one more here in manhattan beach. I just keep thinking about that Black Eyed Peas song Bebot.

Prince_of_Tennis
09-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Filipino Filipino Filipino!

Taram_Nifas
09-23-2005, 01:55 PM
BISDAK hurr.....

Made in the Philippines, raised in Florida... Filipinos are good at all the Sports but you would be hard pressed to ever find a world class athlete. but your chances on getting schooled on the b-ball courts, tennis courts, and billiard tables are damned good though.

Manny Paquiao for President, keep whoopin up on those Tijuana Mexicans..!~

VAmazona
09-23-2005, 07:34 PM
but your chances on getting schooled on the b-ball courts, tennis courts, and billiard tables are damned good though.

until about high school. Of all the filipinos I know, I know only of 5 NCAA athletes in basketball and/or tennis. The best i know is in Div. 1 Tennis and she's half! I'd love to see more filipinos out in the NCAA world. The best I could muster was CIF champion and starting on a community college team.

ShooterMcMarco
09-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Haha, there's a lot of Filipino's and Asians in Washington. A lot of them are here because of stationing and such.

Hahaha, I just dislike the gangster filipinos. I remember during 4th of July, they always have a firework show @ the city beach here, and carnival. I was with my mom, and aunties and such. And I've never seen so many wanna-be gangster filipinos in my whole life.

yeah, my dad got stationed up here in washington so we moved up here. i'm filipino but sometimes people ask me if i'm asian at all which is kinda weird. i've also gotten indonesian many times before.

POGO
09-23-2005, 07:40 PM
BISDAK hurr.....

Made in the Philippines, raised in Florida... Filipinos are good at all the Sports but you would be hard pressed to ever find a world class athlete. but your chances on getting schooled on the b-ball courts, tennis courts, and billiard tables are damned good though.

Manny Paquiao for President, keep whoopin up on those Tijuana Mexicans..!~
Why aren't there any pro filipino athletes?

The only filipinos I have seen on ESPN are in billiards and poker.

ShooterMcMarco
09-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Why aren't there any pro filipino athletes?

The only filipinos I have seen on ESPN are in billiards and poker.

i think there was a light or middle weight pro boxer before. other than that... and yeah, efren reyes and francisco bustamante are excellent billiards players.

Prince_of_Tennis
09-23-2005, 07:57 PM
i'm filipino but sometimes people ask me if i'm asian at all which is kinda weird. i've also gotten indonesian many times before.

When I tell people that I am filipino they go "really?!?!" man lately I guess I'm not looking pinoy...

Noelle
09-23-2005, 08:04 PM
There are pro Filipino athletes, but they rarely make the news in the pro world. Instead, there's an emphasis on the Olympics and other such events, like the Asian Games. Here's a list of the most well-known Filipino athletes (http://pinas.dlsu.edu.ph/sports/sport.html).

We had Lydia de Vega, a runner, and Eric Buhain, a swimmer, in the 80's. Paeng Nepomuceno has six world championships in bowling. The 90's was the era of our boxers; Mansueto "Onyok" Velasco (http://news.inq7.net/sports/index.php?index=1&story_id=50251) won the 1996 Atlanta Olympics silver medal in the men's light flyweight division, and Luisito Espinosa is a two-time world champion boxer.

Pacquiao's official website is: http://www.mannypacquiao.ph/

Deuce
09-23-2005, 11:13 PM
How come the word 'Filipino' isn't spelled with a 'Ph'?

bookem
09-24-2005, 04:50 AM
POGO...

There have been several Filipino world class athletes before ESPN. Arguably the most famous was Roman Gabriel, ex-LA Rams QB in the 70s. He grew up somewhere in the Carolinas due to his father being stationed there, from what I recall.

Deuce...

No idea except that perhaps it was more phonetically correct? Interestingly, there is no "f" sound in Tagalog; hence, Philippines in Tagalog is Pilipinas and people from there are Pinoys. Not a perpect world....

Noelle
09-24-2005, 06:15 AM
The country's name "Philippines" is an Anglicization of its original Spanish name "Felipenas," which means Felipe's Country. King Felipe (Philip) of Spain commissioned Ferdinand Magellan to search for new Spice Islands, and in Magellan's travels he came across the island of Cebu. Magellan's successors mapped the surrounding islands and named them in honor of the Spanish king. Thus, Felipenas or Filipinas was created.

The Spaniards who came to colonize the islands and took up residence here were called "Filipinos." Natives of the islands (i.e. the colonized Tagalogs, Cebuanos, etc.) were called "Indios." I think it was only after independence from the Spanish in 1898 that the colonized people were able to appropriate the term "Filipino" for themselves.

Nadal_Rulz
09-24-2005, 06:15 AM
my baby sitter is is filipino, and shes like a part of my family, if that counts.

Prince_of_Tennis
09-24-2005, 04:36 PM
my baby sitter is is filipino, and shes like a part of my family, if that counts.
No get the heck out of this thread....Jk lol Umm cool!!

ShooterMcMarco
09-24-2005, 05:00 PM
thanks for the history lesson noelle :)

so its really supposed to be finoy since theres no f's? kinda weird.

Noelle
09-24-2005, 05:17 PM
so its really supposed to be finoy since theres no f's? kinda weird.
No, the term "Pinoy" comes from "Pilipino," not from "Filipino." There's a difference; in the national language, there are no "F"s, so all "F" sounds were transformed into "P" sounds when the national language was standardized. Hence, "Filipino" became "Pilipino." Still, educated Filipinos are bilingual enough to be able to pronounce "P" and "F" distinctly, although mispronunciation becomes cause for some funny (punny) jokes. ;)

Pinoy is actually a slang term we Filipinos use to call ourselves. I think the word first surfaced some time in the 1960's to 70's and continues to be used in the vernacular. However, it's not the formal international name of our people (which is "Filipino" and appears in encyclopedias and other knowledge bases used around the world).

Deuce
09-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Thanks, Noelle.

By the way... Noelle doesn't sound like it's a typical Filipino name...

Talent
09-25-2005, 04:58 AM
Pinoy Pride here!

I was born there, but I moved to the States when I was around two and have been living here ever since. I'm from Metro Manila and I haven't visited for about six years. Any Pinoys in the Central Florida area up for hit?

Nice to meet y'all :)

Noelle
09-25-2005, 04:58 AM
By the way... Noelle doesn't sound like it's a typical Filipino name...
It's not. :) My parents named me after an American actress from the late 70's.

tennis-n-sc
09-25-2005, 06:25 AM
Noelle, isn't there a smattering of Spanish in the Tagalog language? Seems like when was there ages ago, some of the phrases I learned had possibly been derived from Spanish. Just curious.

Noelle
09-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Noelle, isn't there a smattering of Spanish in the Tagalog language? Seems like when was there ages ago, some of the phrases I learned had possibly been derived from Spanish. Just curious.
Yes, that's true. The Spanish were in the Philippines for 400 years; you can't escape the fact that some terms and phrases are going to make it into the common person's vocabulary. :D Back in the 70's, Spanish classes were also required courses in college.

VAmazona
09-26-2005, 03:18 PM
I

If you are in San Diego, visit us at the Miramar College it's in the intersection of Black mountain road and Goldcoast in Mira Mesa.

I play there pretty much every day!

krnboijunsung
09-26-2005, 07:29 PM
This may have nothing to do with the current conversation on this thread.

But flips are hot.

POGO
09-26-2005, 07:33 PM
This may have nothing to do with the current conversation on this thread.

But flips are hot.Would you post some examples? pics? :)

Noelle
09-26-2005, 07:37 PM
Thank you. :D

rommil
09-26-2005, 08:59 PM
How come the word 'Filipino' isn't spelled with a 'Ph'?
The letter F is on the Spanish alphabet but not on the alphabet used for Tagalog and the dialects used in the country. So I think the word Filipino was carried over when the use of the Spanish alphabet was prevalent.

Noelle
09-26-2005, 09:43 PM
The letter F is on the Spanish alphabet but not on the alphabet used for Tagalog and the dialects used in the country. So I think the word Filipino was carried over when the use of the Spanish alphabet was prevalent.
I think in the revised Filipino alphabet, the letter F exists already. It's no longer simply the ABAKADA.

Check my reply to Deuce here as well: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=582848&postcount=186

rommil
09-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Is that so? Yeah it was not in the abakada when I went...

Noelle
09-26-2005, 10:03 PM
http://www.tagalog1.com/Lesson_5.jsp
The 2001 Filipino alphabet consists of the letters of the Latin alphabet, plus the Tagalog consonant ng, pronounced "nang"

rtm
09-26-2005, 10:24 PM
I am not Filipino but I was born here and lived here all my life. My parents were originally from India but lived here since late 60s.. My father was a Filipino citizen. Ayun! ;)

dobolpolt
09-26-2005, 10:33 PM

Good idea! where we should start? I heard there are a lot of Pinoys playing in Cataldi Park (North San Jose), Lakewood Park and Columbia Park (North Sunnyvale)... I play in Lakewood Park, on Tue and Thu, 6-8pm. NTRP 4.0

matchpoint
09-26-2005, 10:52 PM
I play there pretty much every day!

Do you belong to the Mira Mesa Tennis club? If you're not and you are a pinoy, you're missing a lot. On Sunday we will be having an interclub with El Toyon (National City), we have this yearly tournament with them, whichever club wins, get to bring the trophy home for one year. Of course we have lots of food on that day.

Just to let every pinoy in this board know how much fun our club is, last week we were at a private club in Escondido from 5 till 10pm playing tennis, swimming, sing-along and of course eating. About a month ago we were at Rancho Arbolitos tennis and swim club. We have 4 tournaments a year, singles, doubles, mixed doublles, team tennis and we also have tennis clinics. We have our own trainer but there are also trainers available from Miramar college.

We have some members of our club practice dancing every wednesday, we sing-along, some goes biking, fishing, jamming. We will be having our annual Christmas party and election of new officers on December, there will be dancing and singing and of course more food.

VAmazona, I hope I convinced you enough to join us, but if you're already a member I'm sure we know each other, pm me. Salamat.

eggnog
09-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Eggnog checking in again after many months. Hey you pinoys still playing in San Jose, CA, we'll play together one of these days. I play at two local high schools, James Lick and Evergreen Valley High School. EVHS I've been volunteer tennis assistant for the last three years since the tennis coach there doesn't know very much so I help out. I guess I could make it out to Cataldi Park but it's always so crowded, or Backesto park, haven't been there in years. You other San Joseans, choose a time and maybe a lot of us can make it. Let's hit before the first rains start coming!!

All these posts make me very proud how we can still treat each other with respect. How could we not? We all have some tie to the Philippines and we all live to play tennis!! BTW, I am now playing with the volkl racquets, T10 VE both mid and MP. I'll give you guys my two cents worth evaluation if you like. I am trying to practice more now. In my prime, I could hit every shot in the book (american twist, top spin lobs, etc.) but not consistently ;-) !! Now I concede if I split sets in singles!!

take care TW barkada.

Andy Aganad
San Jose, CA USA

baselinebrawler
09-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Good idea! where we should start? I heard there are a lot of Pinoys playing in Cataldi Park (North San Jose), Lakewood Park and Columbia Park (North Sunnyvale)... I play in Lakewood Park, on Tue and Thu, 6-8pm. NTRP 4.0

That is a good idea. Maybe we can start a southern california league also....wa-do ya say POGO?

POGO
09-27-2005, 08:32 AM
That is a good idea. Maybe we can start a southern california league also....wa-do ya say POGO?
yes, yes, but can a non filipino join? :) I love filipino food and have many filipino friends, will that do? :)

Noelle
09-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Filipinos are known for their hospitality, even "adopting" people into their own families. :p

jayserinos99
09-27-2005, 09:04 AM

who is this? i play at lakewood on thursdays from 6-8pm.

jayserinos99
09-27-2005, 09:07 AM
Eggnog checking in again after many months. Hey you pinoys still playing in San Jose, CA, we'll play together one of these days. I play at two local high schools, James Lick and Evergreen Valley High School. EVHS I've been volunteer tennis assistant for the last three years since the tennis coach there doesn't know very much so I help out. I guess I could make it out to Cataldi Park but it's always so crowded, or Backesto park, haven't been there in years. You other San Joseans, choose a time and maybe a lot of us can make it. Let's hit before the first rains start coming!!

All these posts make me very proud how we can still treat each other with respect. How could we not? We all have some tie to the Philippines and we all live to play tennis!! BTW, I am now playing with the volkl racquets, T10 VE both mid and MP. I'll give you guys my two cents worth evaluation if you like. I am trying to practice more now. In my prime, I could hit every shot in the book (american twist, top spin lobs, etc.) but not consistently ;-) !! Now I concede if I split sets in singles!!

take care TW barkada.

Andy Aganad
San Jose, CA USA

what's going on andy; see if you can drive up to lakewood park in sunnyvale on tuesday and thursdays from 6-8pm. if not, a few of us can go over to bakesto park if you let us know when.

eggnog
09-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Jay, Dobolpolt, others

I will try to make it to Lakewood Park this Thursday. I happen to work in Sunnyvale so going there right after work is possible. Didn't even know this park exists and I work right by there on the north side of Hwy 237. I take Lawrence Expressway north past Hwy 237 to get to work which according to the map, the park is right by there.

Andy

baselinebrawler
09-27-2005, 01:05 PM
yes, yes, but can a non filipino join? :) I love filipino food and have many filipino friends, will that do? :)

Of course you could join. Anyone else in southern california interested in doing this?

POGO
09-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Of course you could join. Anyone else in southern california interested in doing this?
Great!!!, but I must tell you I only play tennis with spandex shorts, it is in my contract :)
http://tinypic.com/e0oak4.jpg

baselinebrawler
09-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Great!!!, but I must tell you I only play tennis with spandex shorts, it is in my contract :)
http://tinypic.com/e0oak4.jpg

That outfit will be ok....especially since I play in daisy dukes and a barong...(you guys and gals in this thread know what I am talkin about) ;) eh..eh.

krnboijunsung
09-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Filipinos are known for their hospitality, even "adopting" people into their own families. :p

They're also known for being very great looking.

Very guapo for you Spanish speakers out there.

Very eepuhgeh sengyusuh, for you koreans out there.

rommil
09-27-2005, 03:39 PM
That outfit will be ok....especially since I play in daisy dukes and a barong...(you guys and gals in this thread know what I am talkin about) ;) eh..eh.
Lol, as long as you wear an undershirt...

Prince_of_Tennis
09-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Jay, Dobolpolt, others

I will try to make it to Lakewood Park this Thursday. I happen to work in Sunnyvale so going there right after work is possible. Didn't even know this park exists and I work right by there on the north side of Hwy 237. I take Lawrence Expressway north past Hwy 237 to get to work which according to the map, the park is right by there.

Andy

Hmm don't know who you are but I'm a lakewood regular. See you there...

jayserinos99
09-27-2005, 05:12 PM
^^ alright, just to break it down:

there's 3 jay's at lakewood: me (with the tour10 ve mid...or any other frame i happen to bring that day), another jay with a head fp radical os and one more jay with a head widebody of some sort.

prince of tennis is the one with the tour 90.

eggnog
09-27-2005, 10:19 PM
You ask who I am? I am a south bay pinoy all the way. graduated from San Jose State. Helped start a Filipino club there called Akbayan. Both my parents have at different times been President of the Filipino Community of Santa Clara County, the headquarters being in the Filipino center on 6th street in San Jose.

In the 1980's, a few of us Filipino squatters at Independence High School decided to form a Filipino Tennis Club, so not so creatively, we called it San Jose Filipino Tennis Club (SJFTC). We had officers and teams and played other Filipino teams from Daly City, Fremont and Union City, as well as among ourselves. The club does not always exist every year but the players continue on. Some have passed on, new members come and go.
I have continued to play in the San Jose area all this time... more or less on weekends. I have never gotten a rating but long long time ago, I played two years for San Jose City College's tennis team as no.1 or no. 2 player. And in high school on an awful team I was the no. 1 player my junior and senior year. If I played regularly I suppose I'd probably be a 4.0. Now I am just happy to get some exercise, practice all my shots and have a good time, laughing and joking with my barkada. I will try my very best to make it to Lakewood Park this Thursday. I seem to be switching between playing with a volkl Tour 10 v-engine or a Head LM Prestige. so that is how you'll spot me carrying either a Head or Volkl bag.

take care all.

jayserinos99
09-27-2005, 10:34 PM
^ that's cool man. i was bit too young to join the filipino tennis team in union city (i was starting to play juniors when it died down) but i do remember going with my dad (who played for the concord team) going to lots of places...hercules, vallejo, union city, san francisco. i never got to compete in those teams but only got to practice with them but those were the good old days. i think nowadays it's making a comeback of sorts, but it's geared toward usta play. i think one reason why it died down was because of golf.

Prince_of_Tennis
09-27-2005, 11:21 PM
^^ Thats crazy you are OG to the fullest. San Jose State Alumni alright! Well yah that school is aight I don't plan joining on Akbayan just because it seems they lost the meaning of it. Its a very cliqueish group. Like a group within a group weird yah. It's great to know one of the founders though!

80s Independence you might know my cousins. Hella long time ago but you might know Raymond and Roland Mendoza? Also their friend Ben Ju was the number one during that time.

I've never heard of that San Jose filipino club. If you stil have contact with it share! I would like to join. I want to join to play other people but also meet my fellow Pinoys. I know there are a lot more filipino tennis players here in the San Jose but I have yet to meet them.

Yah filipino center! It finally got rebuilt about a year or two ago its nice to see that place kickin again. I have to stop by one day. I live very close to the center.

Well I hope to you see you on thursday we can chat up more then. Payce....

oh yah all these volkl users lol

mach1
09-27-2005, 11:52 PM
Siiiiick...Filipino Volkl users unite! tour 10 VE mid yo...still getting more used to it but i like it. I havent been playing tennis too much lately...starting to practice basketball more now.

Prince_of_Tennis
09-27-2005, 11:55 PM

Gotta be jay....LoL only one who plays USTA there...

eggnog
09-28-2005, 12:57 PM
You San Jose guys are funny!! Well, a church function came up and I can't make it on Thursday but Tuesday I will. Just take it easy on me. no, on second thought, I want to see your best!!

Too bad the Akbayan Filipino club has turned clickish, and there are so many more Filipinos at SJS than when we started. Can you imagine I had to hustle to find the minimum 20 signatures needed to open a club on SJS. We were united by culture, a sense of wanting to help the community and of course taking stands on issues with the Philippines, Marcos, martial law.

BTW, I remember the first year we started SJFTC, hearing news for the first time on the tennis court of Aquino's assassination. Those times of playing Union City, Fremont and Daly City, then enjoying each other's company, drinking and eating; they were indeed the good ol days. Everybody (including myself) is just so damn busy and yes a lot of my barkada they do golf so that has something to do with not playing so much.

Andy

Prince_of_Tennis
09-28-2005, 03:30 PM
^ Awww I was excited because a lot of us were gonna show up.Tuesday are hard because Jay has school so he can't make tuesdays. Maybe next thursday.

I'm guessing you didn't know those people I mentioned.

I wonder how hard it would be to start a tennis club at sjsu so we can play gainst other club schools.

baselinebrawler
09-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Man! How sad. I asked if any filipinos in southern california/LA area wanted to hookup to start a league and no one responded. I guess I am alone in 1)Loving tennis 2)Living in LA 3)Wanting to meet new people to play tennis with. Or maybe they just don't like me......oh well.

jayserinos99
09-28-2005, 09:11 PM
^^ btw, prince was talking about me (j). btw eggnog/andy, do you know ron? he plays at independence; he's also on my work team. i already told him about lakewood as well but i don't know if he's going to make it.

eggnog
09-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Hey jayserinos99, these first names are getting confusing. I do know at least two Ron's. Ron who? Me and my barkada (what is left of the SJFTC plus other squatter friends) play mainly at James Lick High school on Alum Rock Ave in east San Jose on Sat and Sun. why there? Well, the courts are not that great but it has turned out to be a Filipino hangout on weekends, most of the times all Filipinos playing on all six courts. Nobody bothers us and we can play as long as we want so we tolerate the poor condition of some of the nets. This doesn't mean that non-Filipinos are not welcome there but that is just the way it has developed over the past few years, a Filipino hangout. you go to other high schools in our area and there are mostly Vietnamese.

If any of you from greater San Jose area want to come there I will be there on Sat. the more the merrier. Many come early like as soon as the sun rises 7:00 and we play until 11:00 or so. You will find we are a friendly bunch and welcome anybody.

cheers,
Andy
andy

Prince_of_Tennis
09-28-2005, 10:38 PM
^ Oh man I wish I could play on saturdays I just started work poo.....

atatu
09-29-2005, 07:10 AM
I noticed a couple of references for Francis Alvair in the classifieds section, anyone know if this is the same guy who played for UCSB and UVA back in the 80's ?

jayserinos99
09-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Hey jayserinos99, these first names are getting confusing. I do know at least two Ron's. Ron who? Me and my barkada (what is left of the SJFTC plus other squatter friends) play mainly at James Lick High school on Alum Rock Ave in east San Jose on Sat and Sun. why there? Well, the courts are not that great but it has turned out to be a Filipino hangout on weekends, most of the times all Filipinos playing on all six courts. Nobody bothers us and we can play as long as we want so we tolerate the poor condition of some of the nets. This doesn't mean that non-Filipinos are not welcome there but that is just the way it has developed over the past few years, a Filipino hangout. you go to other high schools in our area and there are mostly Vietnamese.

His name is Ron G. Kind of a shorter guy, wears glasses and uses a pure drive.

I used to live off of White and McKee a few years back. I played at James Lick a couple of times but that was a long time ago.

eggnog
09-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Jayserinos, I certainly do know Ron Gdnz. He was at Intel before, I don't know about now. It seems he's not playing that much or maybe he plays elsewhere. Is that where you work, Intel? If you know the way he plays, I'm better, younger, and shorter than him ... so watch out for me next Thursday!!! I have an all around game, can serve and volley but can't last more than a few sets and god forbid I play singles. one tie-breaker and its downhill from there ... out of shape, physically and tennis-wise but still love to play!!

regards to all you south bay players.

Prince_of_Tennis
09-29-2005, 01:39 PM
^ Alright I can't wait do you guys play sunday morning?

eggnog
09-29-2005, 08:18 PM
San Joseans, yes the Filipino barkada plays Sat and Sun at James Lick High come rain or shine (we bring our brooms and squeegees). either get there really early or get there mid morning like 9:00 after the early birds finish their requisite 2 or 3 sets. I do play Sunday too but leave really early cause I go to church.

All this interest has made me think of something. All the Filipino or any TW members for that matter who are interested, I suggest we try to put together a tennis tournament/party. It has to be localized, in more than one place and time, e.g. TW members tried to do something like this remember?, and I was willing to drive to southern california for one that was being planned but it fell apart I think. We could do this, perhaps coordinate it off line rather than clog this website with all our emails.

So, since I am in NorCal, I would be willing to help coordinate one for the San Francisco bay area, perhaps have one in either SF, Fremont, Union city or San Jose. In SoCal, others would do the same, perhaps have one in LA, another in San Diego. It will be interesting to see if we can do it and what kind of response we get. I haven't really thought it through in detail, just brainstorming, but what do you all think? Perhaps we can plan it for early next year, giving us time to plan and execute.

regards to all,
Andy A. San Jose, CA

Prince_of_Tennis
09-29-2005, 10:58 PM
^ Good idea. If its going to be out of the bay area I'm carpooling lol. We'd have to find a nice a park with a good bbq place and no people. I know of a couple places so lets toss up somemore ideas.

Talent
09-30-2005, 05:51 AM
Pinoy Pride here!

I was born there, but I moved to the States when I was around two and have been living here ever since. I'm from Metro Manila and I haven't visited for about six years. Any Pinoys in the Central Florida area up for hit?

Nice to meet y'all :)

No warm welcome from my fellow Filips? I thought Filipinos were some of the most hospitable people in any culture out there.

Noelle
09-30-2005, 06:02 AM
:lol: Hi Talent! Sorry for the belated welcome.

Talent
09-30-2005, 06:05 AM
:lol: Hi Talent! Sorry for the belated welcome.

That's all right. No big deal really :lol: It seems most of the Pinoys on these boards live in Cali. We don't have many Pinoy tennis players here. They'd rather settle for the standard baseball, basketball, football, etc.

Prince_of_Tennis
09-30-2005, 12:01 PM
No warm welcome from my fellow Filips? I thought Filipinos were some of the most hospitable people in any culture out there.

Move to the bay! Well anyways "Kamusta!"

linecalls05
09-30-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm proud to be Filipino, in facts I'm plannig to retire in the P.I. Leaving in Fremont now. Play in Mission Hills Tennis Club.

Prince_of_Tennis
10-01-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm proud to be Filipino, in facts I'm plannig to retire in the P.I. Leaving in Fremont now. Play in Mission Hills Tennis Club.
Cool! Club player I see. What would you rank yourself according to USTA self ranking.

dbnet03
10-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Cool - maybe we'll be playing in P.I. in the future since I'm planning to retire there too. :)

Noelle
10-02-2005, 03:29 AM
Wow, two people who want to make their home in the Philippines after retirement! :) That's a very bold move.

Prince_of_Tennis
10-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Wow, two people who want to make their home in the Philippines after retirement! :) That's a very bold move.

Haha indeed...

bookem
10-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Actually,there are quite a few residential developments (inc. Rockwell Center and Fort Boni) that are marketing units to potential retirees in the US...

The PI's not a bad place to stretch your retirement dollars... especially if you decide to retire to the provinces like Tagaytay.

dbnet03
10-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Just getting burnt out by the fast life\job situation here in the USA. Need to slow down a bit ... and play tennis anytime. :)

Talent
10-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Pro tennis player, Eric Taino, is making a bit of noise at a tournament in Japan. Going in as a qualifier, he has managed to beat a local man to advance to play the top seed, Mariano Puerta from Argentina. Puerta is the Roland Garros finalist of this year and ranked 10 in the world. Let's cheer on our fellow Pinoy! :mrgreen: I wonder what the odds are on this match...

Noelle
10-03-2005, 06:06 AM
That's news to me, Talent. :D Go Eric!