PDA

View Full Version : Wilson PS 6.0 95 - Comments

cda71
12-31-2004, 07:07 AM
Just demoed the PS 6.0 95. Curious to hear if some of you had a similar experience playing with it. I'm a solid 3.5 level serve & volley player. Serve is my best shot. Usually play with PS Tour 95-

Racquet feel was unbelievable. Great/amazing ability to hit topspin and sliced groundstrokes. Control at net was unreal. Yet, I felt it hard to get the same pop on my serves as I do with the Tour 95. I had to hit the ball really hard and my partner (4.0 baseliner) was returning a higher percentage of my serves that he usually does when I play with the Tour. Since the serve is THE key part of my game, I am not sure I want to switch.

I am wondering about lead customization and string gauge / tension changes necessary to get more pop on my serves. Racquet was strung with Wilson NXT 16 synth. gut at 62lbs.

Thanks-

Ronaldo
12-31-2004, 07:49 AM
Cannot see the fascination with that racquet which is too light, too headlight, no power, and pales in comparison to the 6.0 85. Lower the tension

altawolfe
12-31-2004, 08:12 AM
The racquet swings soooo easy -- and it is a very user friendly groundstoke machine. Volleys are also an ego tonic because the racket is just soooo damn easy to move. However, it's greatest assest -- super headlight -- is the greatest liability, i.e., no mass, no power. The only way to serve hard is to generate headspeed or get lotz o lead. 5 grams on each side at 2/10. And, sans lead, whatever you do, don't contact the ball above the sweetspot (when serving). You MUST make contact slightly below the middle of the stringbed--or power suffers. Before I added lead to mine I trained myself to let the ball drop slightly lower than I like...

SocalTennis
12-31-2004, 10:47 AM
you may want to lower the tension to 60 lbs and see the difference.

BreakPoint
12-31-2004, 10:50 AM
I serve BETTER with the PS 6.0 95 than I do with the PS Tour 95. I think it's mostly due to the overall heavier weight of the PS 6.0 95 over the PS Tour 95. I also have more feel on the serve with the PS 6.0 95 because I find the PS Tour 95 too stiff and light. Yes, I do take a full swing and full follow through on my serve (think Sampras), and it's also the best part of my game. And, NO, I do not have any lead tape at all on my PS 6.0 95 (nor the PS Tour 95 I demo-ed). All stock and strung with cheap syn gut (Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16g) at 59 lbs. You may need to change or improve the swing on your serve to get the most out of the PS 6.0 95. In fact, the first time I picked up the PS 6.0 95, I couldn't believe how well it served. I was serving much harder than before. Somewhat surprised and unexpected.

Tenny
12-31-2004, 11:09 AM
All stock and strung with cheap syn gut (Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16g) at 59 lbs.

Here is another PS6.0 95 lover whose serve is the essential part of his game. I've tried many (not that many compared to the DemoKing, TripleB though) during this year, 2004 and finally settled with PS6.0 95 (Good feel, head light-easy to swing, very good dwell time(great spin). I now wonder if I need to try 85 too), POG OS (How can I put it...It's like playing with my favorite reliable older brother), and recently acquired Head Classic (=PC600, 'Crisp feel' and very solid). Roughly, PS6.0 95=Club made of Ebony which feels great in my hand, POG=Reliable Battle Axe, Head Classic=Shiny Roman Sword? These are all great but currently PS6.0 95 is my battle weapon. But, yes, with this racquets, serving requires more effort.

BTW, Breakpoint, why do you use Gosen OG Sheep Micro? Is it a good match for PS6.0 95? Is it better than, for example, Prince SynGut (with or without dupaflex)? What about OG Sheep JC (Jim Courier) or OG sheep Natural? I am using JC on one of my 3 95s and I like it a lot. I wonder how you like that combo of the string and 95 of yours. Thanks.

BreakPoint
12-31-2004, 11:30 AM
Tenny,
I've never tried PSG w/ or w/o duraflex in the PS 6.0 95, although I have used it in other racquets (e.g., MW 200G, etc.). I believe OG Sheep Micro is very similar to PSG w/o DF, perhaps with a bit more feel. I've also never tried OG Sheep JC nor OG Sheep Natural, however, I think most of these Gosen syn guts should be pretty good. I have tried the Gosen AK Speed and SuperTec Gut and I liked the AK Speed better than the SuperTec. SuperTec was a bit too soft and mushy and moved around a lot in the PS 6.0 95. The AK Speed is like a softer and more powerful version of the OG Sheep Micro. However, I've stuck with the OGSM because it maintains tension well, had good durability, and is a very predictable string. Some of the softer and more powerful strings can sometimes be unpredictable in the PS 6.0 95 for me. Although the OGSM is not powerful, does not have the best feel nor shock dampening, it is very predictable and consistant which translates into better control, although I need to swing harder to get power out of it.

finchy
12-31-2004, 02:43 PM
i love this racquet but i also feel the lack of pop/power with it, even when i strung it at 56 lbs! anyways, im probly gonna end up putting some lead tape on this bad boy. i feel my serves are improving.

Gaines Hillix
12-31-2004, 04:05 PM
Try a couple of grams of lead at 2/10. Start with a small amount and work your way up until you feel the maneuverability suffering. Then remove the last increment you added. This will raise the sweetspot and add some weight behind the serve. It's a balancing act.