PDA

View Full Version : poly isn't working for me

chemical_brother
03-13-2008, 11:32 AM
I've been hitting with an M-fil 300 strung with Cyberflash 17 (1.20) @ 58#. While the spin and durability is nice, it feels stiff and I would like more power.

What string/tension should I go for next?

Locally, I can get Prince Synthetic Gut. Would this be what I'm looking for?

If I buy from TW, I wouldn't want to spend more than $10 for string.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great.

saram
03-13-2008, 11:48 AM
I like Babolat Super fine play, Head Rip Control and Gosen OG micro. All highly affordable and play well.

A reel of SFP or OG here at TW will cost you either 39 (SFP) or 29 (OG). Both are pretty consistent, inexpensive, and allow you to tinker with tension without emptying your wallet. You can get them both in a 17. If you are a string breaker--you should know that I am not a string breaker and the only string I have ever broken consistently is the SFP--but it was well-used prior to breaking the strings.

Just food for thought--others will over sound advice in time.

Big-Serve
03-13-2008, 01:23 PM
which poly is good for mixing it with the head rip control?

rorourboat320
03-13-2008, 04:39 PM
I've been hitting with an M-fil 300 strung with Cyberflash 17 (1.20) @ 58#. While the spin and durability is nice, it feels stiff and I would like more power.

you could possibly try using a hybrid. maybe that prince syn gut as your cross could soften your stringbed. possibly lower your tension too but i'm no expert in that so i can't really tell you what exact tension

tbini87
03-13-2008, 05:21 PM

you could drop the tension way down (50 lbs) and you will get a softer string bed with a little more power. you won't even lose the control.

another solution would be hybriding the cyberflash mains and a syn gut or multi cross. this would also soften up the stringbed and give more power.

chemical_brother
03-14-2008, 04:38 AM
Wow, thanks for all the info. Answers always bring more questions, haha...

saram- I don't have a stringer for now, but I will still keep those strings in mind.

tbini- How would I go about lowering the tension to 50# on the CF that I'm already using? Just ask the stringer to lower the tension? Is it still possible/recommended to hybrid after I lower the tension of the mains that much, or should I go for a full hybrid string job? And what gauge do you recommend for my crosses if I hybrid with a syngut or multi?

nickb
03-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Drop your tension...

saram
03-14-2008, 06:35 AM
I guess if you are thinking about a hybrid now, one has to ask what poly's you have used in the past and what tensions, etc. I have found certain poly's that I like and some that I truly hate. You should also note, since you don't have a stringing machine, that some poly's can lose tension very quickly--within hours. Keep that in mind when considering costs.

iplaybetter
03-14-2008, 06:35 AM

first try dropping the tension, second try hybrid, maybe with the psg