PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh . . . Holy Grail Update !!!

TripleB
12-31-2004, 07:25 AM
After playing two sets yesterday morning I was 99% sure that the RDX-500 Midplus was my new Holy Grail of tennis racquets. After the four sets I played last night Iím not so sure anymoreÖmy new HG may be the RDX-500 Mid. Both are such fantastic racquets and so much more solid than my POG Mid.

Last night I was playing a guy who hits a huge kicking serve and then comes to the net. I started out using the Midplus and could never seem to find a groove on my forehand returns. I typically hit them into the net (trying to get the ball at his feet) or else I left them sitting up high so he had an easy put away. At this point I was down 2-5 in the first set and very frustrated.

I decided what the heck, Iíll give the mid another shot, at least to finish out the set. I won the next 10 games in a row before he pulled a calf muscle at 5-0 in the second set.

With the mid I seemed better able to get the ball at his feet and I was also able to swing out and still direct the ball down the line on my returns. It felt like I had more substance behind each return/shot I was hitting. As far as on my own serve I didnít have the big pop that I had with the Midplus but I was able to control the placement better (resulting in fewer double faults), which seemed to leave me with a more effective serve. Volleys had better touch and feel but I think I still prefer the Midplus on volleys due to a little more power and much more forgiveness.

It's almost like: if I have plenty of time to prepare I like the Midplus better on groundstrokes and if I don't have a lot of time to prepare I like the Mid better. And then the reverse is true at net. Does this make any sense at all?

So now Iím at 50/50 as to whether to go with the Midplus or the Mid. Both have so much to offer and are absolutely amazing from almost everywhere on the court. It is going to be a very tough decision.

Good thing Iíve got a couple sunny 68 degree days coming up so hopefully I can make my decision.

TripleB

Coria
12-31-2004, 07:33 AM
Triple B. I have also found a tough time grooving my forehand with the RDX MP. I can hit pretty good topspin forehands and a slightly slower speed than normal. However, when I wanted to "jack" one, it didn't feel that great. I didn't do well with my flat forehands. Also, on the serve, I could get very good spin on my second, but my harder, flat first serve was not nearly as good as what I found with the LM Prestige MP. However, as I mentioned, that racket feels a tad heavy to my. Also, I don't like the 21.5 beam. I like 18 or 19 mm beams.

I'm going to demo the RDX mid and hoping I like it more. I'm also going to demo the Slazenger X1, the Pro Staff Original 95 and I have to come up with one more.

Also regarding the RDX MP, it doesn't feel as good in my hand (comfort and maneuverability) as the Diablo MP does. I'm going to demo that again and put some lead on it for greater stabilty. It's probably the thinner beam, the grip shape and the head lightness that I like more in that racket.

mary fierce
12-31-2004, 08:44 AM
Try Luvox, then decide.

Coria
12-31-2004, 10:30 AM
Mary, you really need to get a man, dear.

jun
12-31-2004, 11:49 AM
I think you sort of answered your on question.

You said RDX MID PLUS somewhat ruined your fh return, while RDX MID made it much better. BUT RDX MID didn't give you much pop on the serve.

In many post, I notice that you are very sensitive in how racket feels and what each racket is able to provide and not provide. In my opinion, with your trend, you might be looking for a frame that will give you more power on the serve in a few months if you purchased RDX MID.

I am all for demoing rackets and looking for rackets that you like, so don't get me wrong. You said you are about 4.5 level player. I think you should trust your stroke and care a little less about the frame

TripleB
12-31-2004, 12:15 PM
Mary,

I think the Luvox would cause me even bigger problems. One of the side effects of the drug is abnormal dreams...see here:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/fluvox_ad.htm

Then I may start dreaming that there is more than one Holy Grail out there...maybe one for every day of the week and then I'll have to demo more and more and ask questions more and more and receive hate posts more and more and then have to increase my dose more and more!!!

Anyway, thanks for the advice but I'll just stick with my Multi and Vitamin C for right now.

TripleB

K. Wilson Moose
12-31-2004, 04:46 PM
I am all for demoing rackets and looking for rackets that you like, so don't get me wrong. You said you are about 4.5 level player. I think you should trust your stroke and care a little less about the frame

jun,

That is excellent advice, but then what would Ben do? He has been given similar advice over and over and over again, including spending a few bucks on a lesson or two. However, he insists on never ending iterations of the same search.

It has been going on for at least 5 years on the TW boards. He'll find the Holy Grail, or have a couple of options, usually 2 versions of the same frame. Then, he will decide that he likes characteristics of both, and will finally make a grand announcement that he has decided on the "one". This is after numerous posts and a prolonged demo period involving every players stick or tweener known to man.

Next, it's on to the Stringing Forum. Many more posts follow regarding his string selection for the frame that he is about to order from TW. At times, he decides at the last minute that the racquet is not worthy to replace the POG and starts the whole nonsense over again.

Hmmmm.....

bounce-hit
12-31-2004, 05:04 PM
Ben, given the amount of money you spend on demos, why don't you just buy one of each, do an extended comparison, then sell the one you don't want?

Ronaldo
12-31-2004, 05:37 PM
This is his quest, to follow that star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far.

baseliner
12-31-2004, 05:43 PM
New Years resolution for Benjamin- finally find the holy grail and end the demo process! Nah too much fun demoing.

K. Wilson Moose
12-31-2004, 05:54 PM
This is his quest, to follow that star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far.

That's beautiful man. He's Ben Quixote.

http://www.gojackets.com/new/emoticons/beertoast.gif

K!ck5w3rvE
12-31-2004, 09:05 PM
...and then I'll have to demo more...

It's not possible. There isn't going to an increase to 28 hour days....

PrestigeClassic
01-01-2005, 09:46 PM