PDA

View Full Version : what is the point of a hybrid

tennis-13579
03-13-2008, 01:25 PM
i am thinking of trying a hybrid to save money and maby to get a little more feel, so what is the actual point of a hybrid
do you also know how long does it take for a poly to go dead on average and would it last longer if you have a syn gut with a poly until it goes dead, cheers

YULitle
03-13-2008, 01:44 PM
So many questions.... :D

Point of a hybrid: changes everyday. initially it was an attempt to get the durability characteristics of one string when mixed with the playability characteristics of another. Now, it is just one more way to modify the feel of your racquet.

Poly: Poly goes dead fast. I've seen over-acting stage performers die slower. :D

Mixing it with a syn gut will help the overall playability last longer, but the poly will still goo dead at the same rate.

nickb
03-13-2008, 01:46 PM
When poly goes dead it starts moving around...thats when you should cut it out and restring..

Nick

tennis-13579
03-13-2008, 02:10 PM
thanks but wat is the averege lasting time of a poly

nickb
03-13-2008, 02:13 PM
It depends on the individual player...it could be anything from 2 to 20 hours..I would say that 20 hours is max time for using a poly really..

Nick

rorourboat320
03-13-2008, 04:38 PM
hybrids help save you money and sometimes help the specific needs/wants of the player. i use them to soften up the string bed and use poly on the mains and syn gut on the crosses. well good luck

aimr75
03-13-2008, 04:48 PM
i'm not a string breaker and have only ever used full string jobs, usually syn gut as im not too big on poly.. are hybrids not relevant for someone like myself? barring any potential cost saving..
________
Corolla E80 (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Corolla_E80)

racquet_jedi
03-13-2008, 04:50 PM
It depends on the individual player...it could be anything from 2 to 20 hours..I would say that 20 hours is max time for using a poly really..

Nick

This could have meant 2-20 hours after initial stringing...

You probably should have said 2-20 hours of real playing time...

racquet_jedi
03-13-2008, 04:52 PM
i'm not a string breaker and have only ever used full string jobs, usually syn gut as im not too big on poly.. are hybrids not relevant for someone like myself? barring any potential cost saving..

If you don't need durability, then the only reasons you a person might use poly would be:

1. You like the feel of it.
2. You like the control of it.
3. You like spin and power of it.
4. You just like polyester strings...

PROTENNIS63
03-13-2008, 05:12 PM
hybrids ofter the best of two strings; usually poly and gut or poly and synthetic. You get both power and control. Plus you get extra feel and good spin potential.

tbini87
03-13-2008, 05:16 PM
polys are getting better and better as we speak. older polys will go dead really quickly, but some of the newer stuff will last for a while (big ace, cyberflash are two i like). i like to hybrid because i can get the control from the poly mains but get a little more feel and power from the syn gut crosses. durability is good and so is string movement (or lack there of). it is also easier to string a hybrid then full poly... just one more perk!

rorourboat320
03-13-2008, 05:21 PM

i'm not a string breaker either but i personally like the feel of hybrid strings much better. i used pro supex big ace on the mains and i'm testing out which cross would go best with it. if you want to save money i suggest going towards pro supex strings.. those are great price and great strings. there's a few threads on here about them so look around. hope that helps

Stannie
03-13-2008, 05:24 PM
i am thinking of trying a hybrid to save money and maby to get a little more feel, so what is the actual point of a hybrid
do you also know how long does it take for a poly to go dead on average and would it last longer if you have a syn gut with a poly until it goes dead, cheers

1. If you're looking for a cheap hybrid to save money, Poly / syn gut blend gives a pretty good feel. On the cheap end, try Gosen Polylon / Sheep micro, and for a little cash, you can even try Cyber Flash / PSGD.

2. Hybrids give you the best of both worlds. I string with multi in the mains for the feel of the multi, and playability, while having the crosses available for rebound shots, an easier time catching the ball earlier. Switch it up, I get to hit harder shots. (I prefer the multi in the main)

3. Polys go dead pretty quickly. I've heard from the boards that SPPP holds tension pretty well. I'm actually going to play test Sensation 17 in the mains and SPPP 17L in the crosses (because I break strings so quickly, I wanted to try a...cheaper blend).

I hope this helps, in additions to what others post, and good luck!

-Stan

aimr75
03-13-2008, 07:15 PM
i'm not a string breaker either but i personally like the feel of hybrid strings much better. i used pro supex big ace on the mains and i'm testing out which cross would go best with it. if you want to save money i suggest going towards pro supex strings.. those are great price and great strings. there's a few threads on here about them so look around. hope that helps

i have a reel of big ace 17 and a reel of maxim touch 17 on the way.. will try full jobs of each and will try a hybrid of these, Ace on the mains, Touch on the crosses
________
Honda P series (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_P_series)

rorourboat320
03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
i have a reel of big ace 17 and a reel of maxim touch 17 on the way.. will try full jobs of each and will try a hybrid of these, Ace on the mains, Touch on the crosses

i currently have ba on the mians and touch on the crosses. i love them but i'm gonna give spiral flex and titan a try on the crosses.

aimr75
03-13-2008, 07:46 PM
i currently have ba on the mians and touch on the crosses. i love them but i'm gonna give spiral flex and titan a try on the crosses.

how do you find BA in terms of keeping its tension vs the touch?

have you experimented much with different tensions with this setup?
________
LIST OF FACTORIES (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/List_of_Ford_factories)

rorourboat320
03-13-2008, 08:31 PM
how do you find BA in terms of keeping its tension vs the touch?

have you experimented much with different tensions with this setup?

has great tension maintainance!
haven't really experimented much with the tensions. have the ba on mains and touch on crossses, both at 57 and i liked it the way it was so haven't really changed that

LanEvo
03-13-2008, 09:31 PM
When poly goes dead it starts moving around...thats when you should cut it out and restring..

Nick

how long does it take for a poly to go dead?

downdaline
03-13-2008, 10:02 PM
The point of a hybrid is to enable greater stringbed customization to players who may wish to compromise certain qualities for others. Eg. Poly x Syn.gut trades off a little durability for a softer feel.