PDA

View Full Version : Any recommended strings besides Prince Synthetic Gut

Brett
03-13-2008, 04:54 PM
I had to get my racquet restrung about 2-3 months ago and I always have used Prince Synthetic Gut. Well just tonight they broke again. I only play about 2-3 times a week. I get it strung at 60 pounds, should I just get the same type and hope they don't break again or do you recommend something else?

Rabbit
03-13-2008, 07:13 PM
There are a couple of things you don't mention which could have some impact. Do you play with PSG Original or Duraflex and what gauge is your string? If you like it and it's Original, then go up a gauge. So, if they're stringing 17 go to 16. If they're stringing 16, go to 15L.

If you're using PSG Original 15L and breaking strings, then try PSG Duraflex in the 16 gauge.

Fedace
03-13-2008, 07:20 PM
YONEX tour super 850 pro

YULitle
03-13-2008, 07:21 PM
YONEX tour super 850 pro

I concur, but not for this guy. :D

miniRafa386
03-13-2008, 07:53 PM
so you want more durability?

go with a polyester or a 15 or 15L gauge REALLY durable synthetic, like gamma marathon or wilson stamina.

Breakaz54z
03-13-2008, 08:14 PM
If you'd like to stick with synthetic gut, try what Rabbit said. Go to a thicker gauge than what you use now. If you're looking to try another string, I personally recommend Gosen Micro, very good string. I think it has about the same amount of feel if not a little more that PSGD, very cheap too. Might be a good investment considering you break strings.

Brett
03-14-2008, 04:28 AM
It's Prince Synthetic Gut 16 Duraflex

Valjean
03-14-2008, 05:09 AM
Two to three months playing as you do isn't outside the pale when the two major stringmakers say their standard nylon-based stringbeds are good for no more than 30-40 hours of play. If you want more from yours, you should consider adding in stringsavers. If moving on to a thicker gauge anyway, you might find you liked Prince's Topspin 15L, the one with Duraflex added in.

Babb
03-14-2008, 01:38 PM
^^^^
I don't believe string savers have much of a benefit unless you're using some really soft string. Am I wrong?

Brett
03-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Ok, I went up to a tennis club in Chattanooga today and got my racquet to be restrung. I asked them for their opinion and they said they had never heard of Gosen Micro and they said some other popular ones that people choose besides Prince Synthetic Gut is NXT and Tour Blend. I take it these are both by Wilson?

It costs usually about $20 at this place for Prince Synthetic Gut and they said NXT would be $30 and Tour Blend would be $28. I chose the NXT. The recommended string tension for my Avery racquet is 55-65 pounds and I usually always have it at 60. This time though I chose 58 pounds.

Can someone tell me more about this NXT and Tour Blend strings? What are their specific names so I can find out more about them?

Thanks a lot.

Valjean
03-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Here, this is from TW's Learning Center: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/String/StringReference.html

Under string types they list, see solid-core single wrap (your PSGD) and multifilaments (NXT).

This is the USRSA's playtest review of NXT, too: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/NXT16/NXT16Review.html

Babb
03-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Ok, I went up to a tennis club in Chattanooga today and got my racquet to be restrung. I asked them for their opinion and they said they had never heard of Gosen Micro and they said some other popular ones that people choose besides Prince Synthetic Gut is NXT and Tour Blend. I take it these are both by Wilson?

It costs usually about $20 at this place for Prince Synthetic Gut and they said NXT would be $30 and Tour Blend would be $28. I chose the NXT. The recommended string tension for my Avery racquet is 55-65 pounds and I usually always have it at 60. This time though I chose 58 pounds.

Can someone tell me more about this NXT and Tour Blend strings? What are their specific names so I can find out more about them?

Thanks a lot.
Chattanooga, TN? If so, I'm guessing Manker Patten Tennis Club?

Valjean
03-14-2008, 05:36 PM
^^^^
I don't believe string savers have much of a benefit unless you're using some really soft string. Am I wrong?
Yeah, they're good for any string; they're on the level and may extend the playing life of the stringbed by at least as much as one-third--depending of course on what you play like.

Max Winther
03-14-2008, 05:41 PM
In my experience, NXT has worse durability than PSGD, but for your playing style, it may last longer. I take it you got the 16? Its gonna feel nice and soft, and it maintains its playability until it breaks.

So, at least you have a string that plays really nice for 10-15 hours, as opposed to a string that starts out nice but then slowly gets deader after about 5 hours and lasts till around 15. This is all in my experience, though, so your results may differ. I say if the NXT breaks too fast, up the gauge on the PSGD.

cujays
03-14-2008, 06:03 PM
iv used tour blend
its from prince
it last a long time
its prince tour and i think prince softflex
the only poblem that i have with it is that it frays fast

Brett
03-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Chattanooga, TN? If so, I'm guessing Manker Patten Tennis Club?

Yep, how did you know? You from this area? I go to school at Southern Adventist University in Collegedale, TN.

Rabbit
03-15-2008, 05:53 AM
Manker Patten used to host one of the most prestigous junior tournaments in the country. Names like Jimmy Connors, Dick Stockton, Eddie Dibbs, Harold Solomon, Roscoe Tanner, and Brian Gottfried were regular competitors there.

I played there one year in mixed regionals. It is a beautiful club right on the Tennessee River.

CAM178
03-15-2008, 06:13 AM
Which Gosen Micro are y'all talking about? Looks like TW has several choices. For reference, I normally play with PSG Dura 16.

Babb
03-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Manker Patten used to host one of the most prestigous junior tournaments in the country. Names like Jimmy Connors, Dick Stockton, Eddie Dibbs, Harold Solomon, Roscoe Tanner, and Brian Gottfried were regular competitors there.

I played there one year in mixed regionals. It is a beautiful club right on the Tennessee River.

Yep, how did you know? You from this area? I go to school at Southern Adventist University in Collegedale, TN.

Yes, I am from Ringgold, which is about thirty minutes south of Chattanooga. I'm not officially a member, but I take lessons and clinics there. The tournaments at Manker Patten aren't that popular anymore. The big ones in Chattanooga are GPS and Baylor tournaments.