PDA

View Full Version : I have $75.00 to spend on strings, HELP ME!

K-LEG
03-13-2008, 05:23 PM
My parents are allowing me to spend $75.00 on any string I'd like to purchase, from http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/. Ideally, with $75.00 I'd like to be able to purchase atleast 8 strings. This doesn't mean I'd like 8 of the same exact string, actually I'm looking forward to trying out some new strings. Also, any string I buy will be in 16 gauge. I break my strings about every two weeks, so I'd also like a durable string. I play with an extreme semi-western grip and I hit with plenty of topspin so I'd like a string with good spin capability.

Strings that I'm definitely going to buy: Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16, and the Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L. I'm a little dissapointed because Tennis Warehouse doesn't carry the Pro Supex Blue Gear 16 strings. I really wanted to try them out because they are known for their spin capabilities.

Strings that I'd like to hear more about: Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex 16, Topspin Cyber Flash 16, Topspin Cyber Power 16, Babolat Conquest 16. I'm open to any other suggestions.

My current setup: Dunlop M-Fil 300 strung w/ Wilson NXT 16 @ 62 pounds, Dunlop Aerogel 200 unstrung. My Dunlop Aerogel 200 is brand new.

I'm open to any suggestions. Remember, I'd like my $75.00 to be able to purchase me atleast 8 strings.

ledor
03-13-2008, 05:41 PM
...extreme semi-western grip = western grip...

Tim W
03-13-2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACBAB-BNG16.html

slice bh compliment
03-13-2008, 06:05 PM
I'd just stock up on the best poly for the mains. Then spend the rest on gut crosses.

Vice versa if you value feel over durability.

If you are not a gut-hybrid guy, try Dunlop Max Comfort or Tour Performance. Good feel. Good value. Max Touch works well, too, if you're into kevlar and cop gear.

uabucks
03-13-2008, 06:15 PM
buy some nice strings, and then buy forten sweet 16 to hybrid in
the crosses --this will stretch your budget. For instance, you could
put x-1 biphase in the mains and the set up will cost only 9$.
If you want a little crisper cross buy klip kicker or gamma gut.

Nice fair-priced strings:

topspin cyberpower
pro supex big ace (these are softer poly's)

gamma tnt proplus 16 (hybrid or full set up/only $7.95)
gosen JC (courier)(full set up)
technifibre multifeel (hybrid or full set up)

If you are playing with nxt, you might find pro hurricane and
cyberflash too stiff if you have not used polys

miniRafa386
03-13-2008, 06:48 PM
are you only looking into polyesters?
poly: signum pro poly plasma, kirschbaum pro line II, kirschbaum competition, gamma zo power, zo tour (comes out at the end of this month/begining of next).
multis: gamma live wire XP, gamma professional, iso speed control, tecnifibre x1 biphase, klip excellerator

scotus
03-13-2008, 08:30 PM
2 sets of Babolat VS Gut + shipping = $75.

Ha-ha :)

K-LEG
03-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Well, it looks like I'm going to purchase the following string:
1 - Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16 (1)
2 - Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L (1)
3 - Signum Pro Plasma HEXtreme16L (1)
4 - Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 16 (1)
5 - Prince Synthetic Gut 16 Duraflex (6)

Feel free to tell me your experiences with any of these string.

Bud
03-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Well, it looks like I'm going to purchase the following string:
1 - Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16 (1)
2 - Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L (1)
3 - Signum Pro Plasma HEXtreme16L (1)
4 - Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 16 (1)
5 - Prince Synthetic Gut 16 Duraflex (6)

Feel free to tell me your experiences with any of these string.

Those look like pretty good choices. The only really soft string you have there is the Biphase, though. You may want to go with 3 PSGD and 3 more of a softer string (someone mentioned Forten Sweet 16 - $2.99).

The PSGD is fairly stiff (for a SG) and you may find the stringbed too stiff when crossed with a poly. Both forten Sweet and Forten Nylon make great (and economical) cross strings in a hybrid setup.

miniRafa386
03-14-2008, 06:42 PM
did you already order? if you didnt, DONT get the SPPP hextreme, it just a few extra dollars for something that doesnt make that much of a difference. just use normal SPPP and save a few bucks.

Tim W
03-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Any reason you're going 16 guage? I'd go 17 for all of them.

Double Fault
03-15-2008, 03:28 AM
17g ftw, especially on the Bab PHT.

K-LEG
03-15-2008, 08:45 AM
I break strings about every two weeks (16 gauge) so I don't want any thinner strings. 16L is as thin as I'll go for now. Yes, I did already order. I realize that some of those strings play a lot differently then some of the others on the list. I already have a good idea on what the Tecnifibre X-One Biphase is going to be like (sort of like the Wilson NXT 16 with a bit more durability) but, I'm just going to try the rest out and see if I like them.

Behtareen
03-15-2008, 10:50 AM
i currently play with gamma professional $20. however for some reason i can do 85% the same stuff with wilson enduro gold. a reel of 990ft is only 60 bucks. if you want alot of string thats durable and control oriented id go with that. if you want playability go with big banger alu r the gamma professional

K-LEG
03-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Man behtar as shomah hastam =p.

vndesu
03-15-2008, 12:58 PM
x1 bipahes
nrgs
pht
cyberflashes
alu power

P8ntballa
03-15-2008, 10:14 PM
On bab conquest, if you want a very spinny cross string with good feel and fairly good durability conquest really is a great string. I think it would have to much pop as a full string bed but with a poly main it is excellent. Right now I got it strung with ph and it feels pretty good, Im gonna try it with other mains though.

PS: I break strings every 2-3 weeks and have had this set-up for around a month, my last string bed of Prince tourny poly mains and syn gut w/ duraflex crosses it only lasted 2 weeks.

notujoo
03-15-2008, 10:22 PM
princesynthetic gut duraflex... i dont recommend. i am a string breaker too. i really like bb alu power rough! try it!