PDA

View Full Version : Why do the new co-polys improve shots so much?

netman
03-13-2008, 06:03 PM
After years of avoiding polys due to fear of arm issues, I finally tired Topspin CyberFlash based on rave reviews here. Next I created a hybrid of CyberPower mains and CF crosses. Nirvana! All of sudden I could generate massive topspin, control was improved 300% and all of a sudden I no longer had to worry about swinging hard for power as smooth strokes rewarded me with power and control. A flat ball hitter with long strokes trained on wood, I suddenly found myself entering the 21st century without really changing my game that much.

What are the technical characteristics of these new co-polys that allow them to quickly transform a classic game like mine into a more modern, spin oriented style? They are supposedly stiff, yet they seem to pocket the ball and allow a player to hold the ball and guide it with minimal effort. Comfort is essentially the same as most syn guts.

Inquiring minds want to know.

YULitle
03-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Simply put: They allow you to spank it. :)

Rabbit
03-13-2008, 06:10 PM
The amazing thing is: it's all not in your mind. Several years ago, a friend of mine and I were hitting. I was using Tecnifibre SPL Pro 17 in my rackets and loved the feel. They had changed it to TRC and I had one set of the SPL left in a frame. It broke.

I pulled another C10 out of the bag, it was strung down at 54 with TIMO 17. From first hit, I recognized two things: 1) I hated the feel, and 2) the ball went where I wanted it to. I was pretty much amazed. If I was hitting down the line, the ball was almost exactly where my brain was aiming.

Since then, I've tried other polys. There was a real downside to Timo, it loses tension and was unplayable after about 10 hours. I tried Prince's Polygut and liked it, but it didn't have the control; although it had better feel. Now I've landed on Pacific's Polyforce Original and it holds its playing characteristics really well. I've notched about halfway through a set of 1.24 in my C10 and it's still grooving.

The control is simply awesome. I do have one question, do you find that you have to really work harder on your serve and volleys with poly?

cadfael_tex
03-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I've been kinda wondering this same question netman. Been considering the polyforce/gut combo or some hybrid with weiss cannon silverstring or lux flouro. Wasn't sure it was a good choice for volley though?

netman
03-15-2008, 01:02 PM
The control is simply awesome. I do have one question, do you find that you have to really work harder on your serve and volleys with poly?

Yes. Poly strings are not for wimps. The same characteristic that lets you take huge cuts at the ball and keep them in play, means you have to really swing through your serves and punch through your volleys. Poke at a volley and the ball simply drops at your feet. Anything less than a big, fast service motion gets you a puff ball serve, if it clears the net at all.

As somebody who struggled for years with control from the baseline due to my upper body strength, poly is a godsend. But I realized I had gotten lazy at the net, not moving my feet much since syn guts and multis would add pop even on stab volleys. Same on serves. Better bring it on every serve (including the 2nd serve) or bad things happen. :)

-k-

03-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Netman CP vs CF??

netman
03-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Netman CP vs CF??

CP feels slightly softer and has a touch more give than the CF. CF is crisper. CP definitely has more power than CF, though its not a huge difference. The lack of feel common to all polys combined with the extra power made an all CP job hard to control. Adding CF as the cross string created the perfect balance of power, control and comfort for my game.

-k-