PDA

View Full Version : Firm string bed recommendation

rayallen333
03-13-2008, 07:17 PM
So, out of a whim, I bought a reel of Wilson Sensation, not knowing that it would be this mushy. Now I want a firmer string bed (I love to hear strings crack when you hit the ball dead center), any suggestions for a hybrid using sensation and something else thats cheap and easy to find? Maybe poly? I have 2 LM Radical OS by the way. Thanks for suggestions!

rorourboat320
03-13-2008, 07:42 PM
i would say luxilon big bangers, pro supex big ace or blue gear as your mains. good luck

rayallen333
03-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Anybody else? Anything thats like $5 a pack? I string my own racquets by the way, so ease of stringing does matter. I also still have a pack of Gamma poly strings, and it says that it should be strung 10% less, should I decrease my cross tension too? Or should I be doing like 60 cross 54 main?

Doc Hollidae
03-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Almost all polys in a full job will give you that sound on impact.

Valjean
03-14-2008, 04:41 PM
So, out of a whim, I bought a reel of Wilson Sensation, not knowing that it would be this mushy. Now I want a firmer string bed (I love to hear strings crack when you hit the ball dead center), any suggestions for a hybrid using sensation and something else thats cheap and easy to find? Maybe poly? I have 2 LM Radical OS by the way. Thanks for suggestions!
Almost any poly you hybrid with Sensation will ordinarily cut it in two in no time; it's way too stiff.

You're better off trying to pair it just with a fairly stiff syn gut.

rayallen333
03-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Well I'm quite stuck with a real of this sensation, so can someone just suggest something? I don't have enough experience to say what a fairly stiff syn gut is, so please include a name with the suggestion. Thanks! I play hs tennis, doubles, by the way.

ThePro101
03-14-2008, 07:03 PM
I find that stringing my crosses a few pounds tighter than the mains firms of the string bed.
(although, I do the opposite, I like a softer feel)

tbini87
03-14-2008, 07:27 PM
gosen polylon sp is an ok poly for a cheap price. i think you can get it for $50 a reel. will stiffen up the stringbed. there are other good polys out there (cyberflash and big ace are my favorites price/performance). i would drop poly a few lbs... then experiment from there. good luck.

rayallen333
03-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Anybody try prince tournament poly??? If so, how is it?

nickb
03-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Put a co-poly in the mains...somthing like Signum Pro Poly Plasma, Topspin Cyberflash or WeissCanon Silverstring...they would all privide a firmer stringbed while still keeping some comfort and feel.

Nick

TennisProdigy
03-15-2008, 12:48 PM
I once tried prince syn gut duraflex at 58 in my pure storm. Its only like 4 dollars a pick and I thought it offered a pretty firm string bed.