PDA

View Full Version : Your other hobbies

VashTheStampede
12-31-2004, 09:17 AM
So what other activities do you guys/gals do. What other sports have you taken, or which ones do you take? You don't have to post only about sports, you can post any hobbies you guys have besides tennis.

It's getting pretty obvious it's the offseason in these boards. It seems like forever since the Masters Cup.

Craig Sheppard
12-31-2004, 09:32 AM
In my time off (from my job and tennis), I go cycling, hiking, and do a little cooking. Mainly do the first 2 to get outside since I have a computer-sit-on-your-arse-all-day job. Road cycling more for the fitness, freedom, and covering miles; mountain biking to check out new territory and parks.

Cooking I just dabble in when I find somethng interesting to try to make. I usually try to make desserts, they seem like a challenge to build them correctly, and even if they don't come out right, they're usually tasty anyway!!!

I'd like to get into kayaking (leisure, lakes, etc, maybe fishing from one, not whitewater) if I could find a place to store a kayak around my apartment. Most likely I"ll have to wait until I get a house.

Craig

MChong
01-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Well, I enjoy reading, but I'll have to hit up the bookstore soon to get more books to read. I'd play table tennis, but there doesn't seem to be anybody in the house to play with - same goes for chess. (For some reason, I can't play online chess - no idea why). I guess I just spend lots of my time at home, after school, in front of the computer playing games, browsing forums, and just talking to friends. *Shrugs* Not much, lol.

jayserinos99
01-03-2005, 10:40 PM
I'm trying to get back into photography. Unfortunately grad school and work take up most of my time and then when tennis is added, not a lot of time is left for other hobbies.

raftermania
01-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Watch tennis videos????? :)

Radical Shot
01-04-2005, 04:53 AM
Homebrew Pilseners. Good to drink after Tennis right?

norcal
01-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Skimboarding is perfect crosstraining for tennis; it's all about sprinting, foot work and balance...and getting shacked.

http://www.cramikskim.com/colin/images/Colin%20Bowl%2001.jpg

thejackal
01-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Ice hockey, varsity at my high school.

backcourt
01-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Skiing - nice to still get outdoors in the winter months - and guitar playing - all self taught with lots of room for improvement. I was into mountain biking for a few years, but after a lowback injury, I pretty much gave it up to save my spine for the tennis court.

Tour90
01-07-2005, 10:44 AM
i paintball

tennismx
01-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Motocross!!!!!!!!!!!!

khs_tennis
01-07-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm an avid golfer and i play on the varsity for my high school team. I like watching sports on tv too especially football. I love playing poker online and with friends. Watching movies is also a big hobby of mine. I can't forget racing either. I'm a big fan of the IRL, NASCAR, and Formula 1.

gmlasam
01-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Aside from tennis, I enjoy doing outdoor physical activities such as playing beach volleyball, moutain biking, surfing, snow boarding, and hiking.

There is never an off-season for tennis here in southern california. We play tennis all year round :)

ReturnAce
01-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Thankfully there's an indoor club near my house, so I don't have an off-season.

Anywho, when I'm not playing tennis or at school I'm either bowling, writing, playing poker, playing pool, ping-pong, and last but certainly not least...spending quality time with my girl. :)

Heh heh...but yeah, hobbies are good.

ffrpg
01-10-2005, 12:57 PM
I definitely enjoy being outdoors. I also play basketball and hockey. I spend most of my time (when I'm not playing tennis) skating. I enjoy extreme sports

el_mago
01-10-2005, 01:01 PM
I like to play ping-pong, soccer, football, basketball, and swimming, recreationally. Tennis is the only sport that I compete in competitively. I used to compete in cross country events. I also like to watch the sports I mentioned, on tv. Fooling around with latest gadgets is also a hobby of mine, traveling to new places, and watching tennis tournaments.

Darth_Phantom34
01-10-2005, 03:30 PM
I like to spend time with my 3 kids: ages 6, 4, and 2. All of them seem to have an interest in tennis. Furthermore, my son is a lefty, wohoo!!! Here is a picture of them:
http://www.megapathdsl.net/~tomphan01/Alexei%20One/020_18.JPG

I also like to go to the race track push my motorcyle to the limit.
http://www.megapathdsl.net/~tomphan01/Motorcycles/Thunderhill/IMG_1471.JPG
http://www.megapathdsl.net/~tomphan01/Motorcycles/Thunderhill/IMG_1434.JPG

tennis_soccer
01-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Soccer, F-1 and posting on soccer forums (http://www.mlsdiscussions.com) and F-1 forums (http://forum.planet-f1.com/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=3&SQ=5aba3fe7bdfa90178f93afc242ae874a/)

K!ck5w3rvE
01-28-2005, 12:32 AM
Sea biscuiting
Cricket
Soccer

tennisnj
01-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Going on archaeological digs & doing crosswords. Not to mention dabbling in any sport.

matchpoints
01-30-2005, 01:56 AM
Photo editing, going out, racquetball, ping pong, toobing, modding anything I can get my hands on....and breaking things then fixin' them.

D. Nalbandian
01-30-2005, 01:57 AM
Swimming
Soccer
Basketball

Jerry Seinfeld
01-30-2005, 05:05 AM
Backgammon

K. Wilson Moose
01-30-2005, 08:51 AM
Played competitive volleyball and was an avid runner. Now with my older parts and incumbant problems, I have had to drop those in order to keep playing tennis. Now I get my cardio with an elliptical or stationary bicycle. I'm considering purchasing a hybrid bike, as there are some nice trails in the area. Still enjoy weight training as well.

Other interests are computers and software, photography, college football and basketball, hiking, playing around with tennis equipment, reading (neglected lately), and gardening.

matchpoints
01-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Played competitive volleyball and was an avid runner. Now with my older parts and incumbant problems, I have had to drop those in order to keep playing tennis. Now I get my cardio with an elliptical or stationary bicycle. I'm considering purchasing a hybrid bike, as there are some nice trails in the area. Still enjoy weight training as well.

Other interests are computers and software, photography, college football and basketball, hiking, playing around with tennis equipment, reading (neglected lately), and gardening.

Man, that's a good variety, especially when i saw GARDENING. That's awesome. BTW, any tips on keeping a rose bush healthy? (it's a cheaper alternative to buying roses for the babes) Mine is about 6-7 feet tall. and I'm using metal rods to support the branches.

Feņa14
01-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Cricket, Golf, Football (soccer), Snooker, Darts, F1, Rugby

Baseline Basher
02-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Halo 2 multiplayer
Weight training
Writing
Snowskating

Cypo
02-02-2005, 02:10 AM
Is "Sea biscuiting" beating a dead horse ?

- that's one of my favorite hobbies, along with banging my head against the wall, teaching the old dog new tricks and rereading Lady Chatterly.

eagle
02-02-2005, 07:51 AM
Doing things with my family. HDTV, Photography, videography, and cross training.

r,
eagle

K!ck5w3rvE
02-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Is "Sea biscuiting" beating a dead horse ?

- that's one of my favorite hobbies, along with banging my head against the wall, teaching the old dog new tricks and rereading Lady Chatterly.

Sea biscuiting is like waterskiing, except your lying face down on a small rubber tyre tied to the back of a boat. Its like wake boarding, except its a tyre not a wakeboard, and you're lying down instead of standing. Its awesome fun.

Cypo
02-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks - we used to do that as kids - back in the days when the only "boards" were six feet long and had fins ! We didn't have a motorboat though, so it was pretty tame, unless there were gale force winds.

thejackal
02-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Speaking of hobbies I found out not too long ago that my hockey coach is a 5.0 and works for the ATP, talk about sweet. I gotta hit with him this spring when the nets will be up.