PDA

View Full Version : What are you going to do if your string too short?

BOZO
03-13-2008, 09:22 PM
I bought the string set from ....... web site which they cut from the reel for me (I didn't know before made an order). I was stringing my AG200 until the last 2 mains (both sides) I found out I couln't tight it up because the string came too short (I have strung this racquet before with another string brand which it was no problem). I wanted to take it out to measure then claim the website but I was so lazy though, I tried to extend the string by rope/wire but it didn't work. So, I would like to know what you guys going to do if you found this problem.

dancraig
03-13-2008, 09:58 PM
I take it that you mean you couldn't reach the tensioner to pull tension. You can tie a piece of scrap string to the string to make it to the tensioner. You can also use a floating clamp, if you have one. Put the short string in along with scrap piece to make an extension to the tensioner.
If you try to tie a scrap piece of string to the short piece, use a lot of loops and ties to make the knot big. When you pull the tension, work quick before the string slips out of the knot.
A starting clamp is probably the best way to make a "bridge" to the tensioner, but a floating clamp does the same job.

Tim W
03-14-2008, 01:52 AM
I'd usually start again, and save that string for something else. But of course, not many people can do this, so I'd suggest doing what the above person said.

Speedygonzalez
03-14-2008, 10:37 AM
I take it that you mean you couldn't reach the tensioner to pull tension. You can tie a piece of scrap string to the string to make it to the tensioner. You can also use a floating clamp, if you have one. Put the short string in along with scrap piece to make an extension to the tensioner.
If you try to tie a scrap piece of string to the short piece, use a lot of loops and ties to make the knot big. When you pull the tension, work quick before the string slips out of the knot.
A starting clamp is probably the best way to make a "bridge" to the tensioner, but a floating clamp does the same job.

Mmmm.... I should have read this thread....This afternoon I cut out half a set of strings because the string did not reach the tensioner LOL!

jmverdugo
03-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Get an starting clamp, if you have a flying clamps machine the only thing better to have than an starting clamp is to have two starting clamps.

BOZO
03-14-2008, 08:57 PM

Thank you very much, actually, I tried your mentioned but the string splited out of the knob all the time but I think I haven't tried hard enough. Thank you again...

BOZO
03-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Get an starting clamp, if you have a flying clamps machine the only thing better to have than an starting clamp is to have two starting clamps.

Thank you, I'm using Gamma X2, does it has flying clamp & starting clamp? Anyway, I will find out what they are .... thank you again

dancraig
03-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Thank you, I'm using Gamma X2, does it has flying clamp & starting clamp? Anyway, I will find out what they are .... thank you again

Yes, the X2 has two flying or floating clamps. (they are the same thing)
A starting clamp would have to be ordered separately.
http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/pp600.html

Scroll down to #3 to see how to use as a bridge for short string.