PDA

View Full Version : Standing on strings to 'bed them in'...

OrangeOne
03-14-2008, 05:07 AM
I've seen it done at the pro-level, I've seen it done at the amateur level too. Put a (usually freshly strung) frame on the ground, stand on the sweet-spot to stretch the strings.

We're on synthetic grass courts, so I'm sure the frame would be ok on a scratch level (not that I care anyways).

BUT: is it frame-safe? Does it risk a throat injury (due to the throat being a little in the air given the elevation from the buttcap)? Do pros just do it because the frame is one of 12 they get replaced over & over?

My issue: I snapped a string tonight, so my (new-ish, so I only have 1 so far) RDS 002 Tour is being strung now, with Redcode 17g, and I hate that string for the first hour. I have to play a comp match with it about 15mins after I pick up the frame first thing in the morning. I don't want to start liking the string at the 45min-mark of a 1 hour (time-limited) match.

Thoughts? Advice? Bad-stories that you have personally witnessed?

YULitle
03-14-2008, 05:08 AM
I've seen people do it with no issue, but I can't speak on the actual structural problems that exist. I wouldn't do it with my main racquet, if it were me. But, I would try it out of curiosity on a 2nd or 3rd.

TNT16
03-14-2008, 05:50 AM
I've seen it done at the pro-level, I've seen it done at the amateur level too. Put a (usually freshly strung) frame on the ground, stand on the sweet-spot to stretch the strings.

We're on synthetic grass courts, so I'm sure the frame would be ok on a scratch level (not that I care anyways).

BUT: is it frame-safe? Does it risk a throat injury (due to the throat being a little in the air given the elevation from the buttcap)? Do pros just do it because the frame is one of 12 they get replaced over & over?

Thoughts? Advice? Bad-stories that you have personally witnessed?

Try folding up a towel and putting that underneath the head to make frame level with butt cap. Your frame should be fine unless you weigh 300+ pounds.

Pusher
03-14-2008, 05:55 AM
I've seen it quite a bit. Players will step on the strings if they just took it off the stringer and are going directly into a match. The string tension will have a little more consistency throughout the match after that intial tension loss.

Its not a problem.

Stan
03-14-2008, 06:05 AM
By all means. Stand on it. In fact, why not jump on it? Treat it like a trampoline and see just how much air you can get. Yes, standing on a racquet is a great idea!!! Make sure to use all your weight.

YULitle
03-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Stan: ROFL. That's great.

TNT16
03-14-2008, 06:19 AM
By all means. Stand on it. In fact, why not jump on it? Treat it like a trampoline and see just how much air you can get. Yes, standing on a racquet is a great idea!!! Make sure to use all your weight.

Would be great to get feedback from TW staff given the wide disparity of opinion.

YULitle
03-14-2008, 06:22 AM
You think you'd get more than just another opinion?

TNT16
03-14-2008, 06:33 AM
You think you'd get more than just another opinion?

Guess you got a point there LOL.

Given your stringing/racquet expertise I trust yours (and I have stood on my strings in the past anyway without damaging the frame).

OrangeOne
03-14-2008, 06:40 AM

I mean, I suppose an alternative would be to find a random TTWer named stan and bomp him on the head 1000 times, but I'd like to do something easier...

;)

Thanks for all of the replies people, including the funny ones :). Seems it's all a-ok, and I think therefore I shall start the day with a quick aerobics class on my 002 tour :)

Double Fault
03-14-2008, 06:51 AM

roflmao

10 char