PDA

View Full Version : Increasing tension on tie-off strings (floating clamps)?

thewallylama
03-14-2008, 05:19 AM
I'm a fairly new stringer, having owned my Alpha String Pal for about 2 months. It seems as though the strings that I tie off are ending up with less tension. I particularly notice this in the mains--which makes sense since they are longer strings. While I am guessing that there is a tendency toward this even with fixed clamps, I would think that this is even more of a tendency with floating clamps (I know that knot tying technique is vital, too and I've watched some of YuLittle's videos). I have heard that increasing tension on the tie-off strings is a good way to compensate for this. If this is true, is there a rule of thumb for how much to up it when using floating clamps on tie off strings? Thanks.

YULitle
03-14-2008, 05:23 AM
Your outer mains will always seem more loose than the others. But, if you must up the tension, a lot of people stick around 5lbs.

jim e
03-14-2008, 03:08 PM
The knot button feature on my fixed clamp stringer will increase the tension by 10% for the one pull after the knot button is pushed,so the machine manuf. must be assuming that for those who do not have a good knot tying technique, that a 10% increase is appropriate. (This is not my suggestion, but the machines manuf., Personally I have not used the knot button feature, seems more consistant to just tie a good knot instead). I'm sure others here have their own theory on this.I would rather have a cup holder on the machine rather than the knot button!!!I keep my machine next to my computer desk, and last string job, I grabbed for my drink, and spilled it all over my papers. Would be real convient to have a cup holder attached to the machine. I'm surprised that manufactures of the machines do not have them built in, at least on the high end electronic ones.

YULitle
03-14-2008, 05:49 PM
jim_e: This is how I feel about the practice.