PDA

View Full Version : what racquet should i get next?

Vince
12-31-2004, 11:16 PM
Hello everyone. I just wanted to ask what racquet i should get.

I have a pretty good serve. Its not much of a power serve but i put decent spin on it and have pretty good control over where it goes in the box.

I use a 2 handed backhand which is decent. My forehand is pretty good. Im able to generate lots of topspin. I also like to use lots of backhand slices. Im not much of a net player however.

Im looking for a racket which has both power and control but a little more control.

Im looking along the lines of a 98-105 sq. inch head size

Not too stiff of a racquet, open string pattern, headlight, 11-11.5 oz

Im mainly interested in Prince, Babolat, and Yonex

Price range can go as high as $180

I sort of want to make a transition into more advanced racquets and start to train and familiarize myself with them. Im not quite looking into hardcore player racquets but more of a player racquet thats somewhat a semi-tweener

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Vince
01-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Okay sorry for the double post but after some cruising around i decided on these rackets:

Volkl Catapult 10
Babolat Pure Drive Team
Prince Tour Diablo MP

Can i get recommendations on any of those for an intermediate player? Any other racquet you may have in mind please feel free to share experiences, etc.

Im trying to make a transition into MP rackets. Starting to get more competitive in tennis and am looking for a good improvement racquet.

I currently use the TT Bandit OS. Its a good racquet for beginners but im starting to find it too light and head heavy. Seems to have a bit more power than my tastes

Any help is heavily appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Azza
01-03-2005, 03:29 PM
I use the Bab PD Standard...

I suggest you give it a rip. I went from using Head iPrestige's MP's but they were increasingly becoming hard to play with because I've had reoccurrent shoulder and tendonitis issues, however in changing to the Bab PD's I had no problems other than occassionally on serve - eitherway, something is to be expected.

I must admit though that making that jump from the Head to the PD wasnt as easy as just changing overnight with it taking a good couple of months to get used to the different frame specs especially concerning it's weight distribution as well as the woofer system with me having to actually apply leadtape to the frames to increase their swing weight yet I dont think you'll have the same issues as I did considering the racquet your already using.

I also tried the Cat 10 and personally didnt like it at all. There's my take on it!

USCfan
01-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Vince,
You said you didn't want a stiff racquet. The PD is pretty stiff-70, maybe. That said, it's still a nice racquet. My Aeropro is around 70 or 72 stiffness, but strung at 52 lb, I think it's really nice. So if you want the PD, just make sure you realize that it's stiff.

Vince
01-03-2005, 05:16 PM
yeah i realized the PD is pretty stiff. I heard that you can sorta soften up the stiffness with soft poly or multifilament strings?

Well anyways, thanks for the comments. Ill give the Pure Drive a try.

Btw, i was gonna use the Laserfibre Kryptonite Superblend on the Pure Drive. Would the orange/white hybrid look somewhat odd on a pure drive?

hummer23
01-03-2005, 06:39 PM
pure drives dont play as stiff as tehy actually are. put a decent syn gut or multifilament in it and it doesnt play up to its stiffness rating. the vibration and power arent a problem from my experience. dont stringing it too tight and you will be fine.

Vince
01-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Edit...

Would you guys recommend someone thats 3.0-3.5 use the RDX MP?

Steve H.
01-04-2005, 05:40 AM
It's going to be a big step from the Bandit to any of the frames you mention, and it will be hard to pick something without playing with it for a while. There are a lot of decisions to make: standard or extra length? Swingweight? Head size? Flex? Each racquet has its own personality.

You could demo for a while from TW and see what you like. Or here's another strategy for you - scrounge the classifieds and ****, find one that is more or less middle of the road that you can get used/cheap, play with it for a while so you get accustomed to using a heavier racquet, and see what you want to improve upon later. It doesn't much matter which one, any of the frames you mentioned would be a good place to start, and you could add Wilson Surge, Yonex RDX 300, PK Laver S or SX, Pure Control MP, Diablo MP to the list.

Maybe the most important questions at the beginning would be length and swingweight -- many players with a 2-hand BH prefer 27.5" frames, and if your game depends on spin you might look for a lower swingweight frame, which would be easier to swing fast. You can always add swingweight to a racquet, but it's almost impossible to remove it.

Vince
01-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the help steve.

By some of the things you've said, ive decided to give the Volkl Tour 8 a go. Its got the extra length, low swingweight, decent weight, plus its got some solid reviews.

Thanks again.

Steve H.
01-04-2005, 11:22 AM
you're welcome -- looks like quite a good choice, more control than the Bandit but not too demanding. Good luck with it!

TripleB
01-04-2005, 11:48 AM
As others here have mentioned....DEMO DEMO DEMO.

BTW: I absolutely love the Yonex RDX-500 Midplus. It will be my next racquet!!! { unless the RDX-500 Mid beats it out ;) }

TripleB