PDA

View Full Version : anyone seen a PS 6.1 classic with 18x20 pattern?

hlkimfung
03-23-2004, 05:22 AM
I walk into a pro shop the other day, seeing an used Pro Staff 6.1 classic (unstrung) for sale on the rack.

The guy said it got a dense 18x20 pattern, which is different from other used PS 6.1 which is also for sale.

The comestic are about the same, but with different pattern. The 16x18 was black and dull on the throat, while the 18x20 is colored red and yellow at the same spot

Have this particular racquet been for sale in the (Amercian)market? It's defintely not a paint job( I can't think of any wilson PS come with the desne pattern except the ROK, but that's ridiculous to cover a stock ROK with the classic comestic)

anyone got any info on this racquet? weight, balance... and how different it's from the 16x18 classic and the ROK. any feedback would be appreciated

by the way, the condition is pretty good, only some paint chip here and there, and it's only sold for HKD 350, which is about USD 45

tarheelbornjohn
03-23-2004, 05:48 AM
Are you sure that the red and yellow colored 18x20 was not really a HPS 6.1 stretch. I have been playing with it for a few years. The HPS 6.1 stretch has that paint job and a dense string pattern of 18x20.

Frankc
03-23-2004, 06:29 AM
Yes, the PS 6.1, 18X20, standard length, was available in Europe and to top junior prospects in the US. I saw in '95-97 a few college players with that frame. The denser pattern offered better control for big, big hitters. I believe, I may be wrong, that the longer 6.1 employed 18X20 also - some have cut it down.

haley1
03-23-2004, 08:28 AM
from your post, it appears that you are living in Hong Kong. is this correct? i am in the U.S. but have interest in traveling to H.K and staying for summer months there (may-august). i have relatives there. how is the tennis scene? opportunities to volunteer or teach there?

thanks in advance for your time.

sincerely,
doanh

hlkimfung
03-23-2004, 08:44 AM
from your post, it appears that you are living in Hong Kong. is this correct? i am in the U.S. but have interest in traveling to H.K and staying for summer months there (may-august). i have relatives there. how is the tennis scene? opportunities to volunteer or teach there?

thanks in advance for your time.

sincerely,
doanh

Court are not really crowded in HK nowaday, my home court is always empty thru out the weekdays

Tennis is not as popular as before, since the cancellation of the two event, Marlboro (an exhibition) and Salem (a tour event), which is a good thing meaning less ppl smoke (?)

as for coaching, I used to coach when I was in high school but not anymore, as ppl aren't really that serious into tennis

if you do wanna play some tennis here, we can hook up to have a hit

by the way, like cars, comparing to the states, HK got more variety of choice, like the Asian Tour 90, standard Tour 90, actually I'm going to a pro shop the next few days to check out a used LM radical tour. According to the owner, it's basically brand new, strung w/ natural guts, it's sold for HKD 1000 (about USD130), for which I think it's a good deal, as I never play with natural guts before

bring some standard Tour 90 here if you got more than enough, as it's quite rare here and ppl will be paying premium for those, and it's selling for more than 50% than the Asian Tour 90

at last, it's my home court
http://www.geocities.com/hlkimfung/courthk.html

jayserinos99
03-23-2004, 10:15 AM
i've seen one but i have the stretch that was cut down. very good control.

kreative
03-23-2004, 11:25 AM
i've also seen one, and i believe there was also someone on the boards who was selling one. i do own a pair of stretches which are also 18x20, but are 28" long. debating whether or not to chop them.

hlkimfung
03-23-2004, 04:50 PM
I compare the two (16x18, 18x20) side by side and see that they are of the same lenght

not a stretch

Anonymous
03-23-2004, 06:50 PM
There's some differences between the Pro Staff Classic euro edition and a cut Pro Staff 6.1 Stretch 95. Some euro editions have "Tour Edition" painted on them, and the inside-throat should state to use a Fairway grip and have a string tension recommendation range in kg only. Also, the euro edition states 6.1 on the inside throat only. It is really a unique racket because it is stiff for power and bite mixed with the feel of a dense pattern. If you're interested, I could sell one of mine for $80.00 plus $5.00 shipping or make an offer.