PDA

View Full Version : HEAD grommets - head size

b.
01-01-2005, 07:02 AM
I would like to get Radical grommets to fit them in LM Prestige MID (weight reasons).

I can see Radical grommets for MID size (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage-GROMHEAD.html, currently 31st on the list), but can't see any Radical MID size racquet!

Do they exist? Is it error?

Thanks!

kinsella
01-01-2005, 08:10 AM
There is no Radical Mid (93).

I think I have a better idea to lighten you Prestige mid. Take the CAP grommet strips out carefully -- use a heat gun to soften them at the tie off holes OR just start with a new set (preferred). Use a scissors to cut the "cap" off from the strip that holds the actual grommets. This is actually very easy and I have done it -- for the same reason as you -- to reduce weight. For appearance' sake, terminate your cutting at an angle, so the resulting CAP looks like it was supposed to be that way. When finished, you will still have a continuous strip of plastic with grommet tubes connected to it. Only the CAP will be removed.

This material runs close to one gram an inch (1g/inch), when you cut both sides of the CAP off of ONE grommet strip. Taking 3" of CAP off both sides will drop about 6g. Be sure to leave something on the top for a bumper, or you will pay the price. If you cut a little too much off, you can add lead while you wait for a replacement grommet in the mail from TW.

Good luck.

b.
01-01-2005, 09:13 AM
kinsella,

Thanks! Actually, I allready cut my CAPs but wanted to get original grommets - just estetic reasons.

Somewhere in the middle of the job, I lost my patience, and finished it - well - not so nicely. Although, not extremely bad either...(Getting them back was pain...)

But thanks! Maybe I will get two extra Prestige grommets, one to keep as is, and the other to cut without hassle. To take my time.