PDA

View Full Version : Falling in (back) love with an old friend

baseliner
03-23-2004, 05:01 AM
Last night on the spur of the moment, after hitting with my usual sticks (HPS 6.1) I pulled out my old Volkl C-9. Wow, now I remember why I bought it in the first place (plus Rabbit highly recommended it). Great touch and feel. Not as much power as the HPS 6.1 but I loved it. I'm back. Now for the question for you long time Volkl users. What current Volkl hits most like the C-9? The C-10, the tour 10 or the Tour 9 or 10 V engine? Increase in power ok? Rabbit, you helped me before (and very kindly answered my questions off line). Any thoughts?

dave k
03-23-2004, 07:21 AM
sometimes the novelty of hitting with a different stick is enough to cause you to pay closer attention to stroke mechanics and timing etc with the result being a heightened appreciation of the stick in hand. it could have been anything but the fact that is was familiar on top of the other factors and voila, say hello to my new best friend. i know, i've been there.

@wright
03-23-2004, 07:26 AM
The C9, like the C10, had one of the best paintjobs ever. I demoed it once, I thought it was a little light, but hit nicely. I'd say it hit pretty similarly to the C10 with less weight...

NoBadMojo
03-23-2004, 07:31 AM
try the t10mp..this coming from a long time user of the c8 pro. i little firmer and more power and you can set it up to play just right. IMO. Ed

Rabbit
03-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Baseliner- I know exactly what you mean. It was almost like Volkl would give you a C9 to get you hooked. The natural progression was from the C9 to the C10, the C10 being the heavier, more stable but still flexible offerring. I agree with everybody else here, the Tour 10 MP is a great frame. I haven't hit with the V9 yet, but hear good things about it.
There will most likely be a V10MP, which is what I'm waiting for.

Yep, Volkl gets you hooked on that feel and nothing else feels right. I basically don't even have a desire to hit with anything else now.

NoBadMojo
03-23-2004, 09:46 AM
yea man rabbit.....i was just talking to a friend about the very same thing...the special feel of the volkl....how expansive the sweetspot is, the amazing feedback you get sans the shock, etc etc. i gotta tell you i thought the vengine9 to be very disappointing..the feel was much more stiff than what i expected from a frame that is supposedly similar to the stiffness rating of the t10mp..i thought w. the fiberglass in there it might feel flexy and sweet. it didnt. also i didnt find the sweetspot higher in the stringbed because of the v-engine as volkl advertises (man that would have been great). my opinion is that anytime you have a racquet that is lighter (compared to the flexy bats) like the vengine, you have to make up for its lighter weight by adding stiffness or you would have a frame w. no power. i dont think the vengine9 a winner..maybe the others are tho. Ed

galain
03-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Rabbit said..."I basically don't even have a desire to hit with anything else now."

Hey Rabbit! What have you done with your Head Vilas'? You sounded like you were really enjoying those?

(And dare I ask about the Adidas GTX?)

:wink:

Simba
03-23-2004, 05:07 PM
I think Rabbit has written quite a number of posts, which he may not be able to follow. In one post, he said he has not used Tour 10 MP yet. However, he said Tour 10 MP is a great racquet in this thread. Only thing I can be sure is that he loves Volkl. So, he knows all of Volkl sticks even without trying them.

Rabbit said "....Mine all have leather grips and are strung with Luxilon TIMO 17 at 54 pounds. I know there have been arguments one way and the other, but if there is a better racket made than the C10 and its descendant, the Tour 10 MP, I haven't hit with it. I am waiting eagerly for the C10 incarnation in V-Engine form. " in a different thread.

Rabbit
03-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Simba - I do apologize if you are unable to follow my posts. Let me be crystal clear. I'd appreciate a link to any post where I said I "never tried the Tour 10 MP", cause it just ain't so.

About 5 or 6 years ago, I moved from the ProStaff to the C9. I played with the C9 for about 6 months and then purchased a couple of C10s. I own 6 C10s now. During that time (between then and now), Volkl introduced the Tour 10 MP. I bought two and began playing with them. I had mothballed my C10s, and even sold 4 to Sean O'Rourke on these boards.

Last summer, I got a wild hair and, as Galain pointed out, began to play with the old Head Vilas. I figured I'd sell my Tour 10's and did, again to someone on these boards. This is all pretty well documented. As it turns out, I still have a Tour 10 in the closet (it was a local demo that I was given).

After about 6 months with the Vilas rackets, the impulse left me. I picked up my C10s again and have been playing with them ever since, even buying one back from Sean and picking up a couple of more. I'll probably buy them all back from Sean in the near future.

I have tried, and like, most of the Volkl line. Yes, I am a big fan of Volkl and think they produce rackets of the highest quality. I have never had a problem with any of the frames I have owned.

Again, I'm sorry if you are unable to follow my posts and I hope this clears it up for you. If you'd like, I can probably dig up the name of the guy who bought two of my Tour 10s. I have recently said that I have not hit with the V10 Mid or the V9 MidPlus. Anyhow, you probably ought to be more sure of your facts before slamming someone. 8)

Galain - I bought 6 of those Vilas rackets off e-bay and from some folks around here who saw me playing with them. I still have all of them and who knows what'll happen this summer. As for the Lendl's, they're sitting in the same spot with the Vilas, the Fox ATP 90s, and the Vitas Autos. The Lendls are fine rackets and hit better than any of the others. But, you gotta love the wood. If I ever get ready to sell the Lendls, you've got first shot, guaranteed (and it won't be for more than I paid for them). Matter of fact, I'd probably give you a discount if you'd send Aussie money. :D

galain
03-24-2004, 01:47 AM
Thanks Mate!

Not sure Aussie money is worth that much more than Monopoly money - but it IS plastic so I guess you could.....umm....not worry about having some in your pocket if you go swimming?

Gotta love the woods don't you? I'm currently using my Rossi F200 but my C7 comes along with me each time I hit the courts. But man, my Edgewood - she just sits on my wall and begs to be admired! I will never get tired of looking at that frame!

Simba
03-24-2004, 07:41 AM
Oops! Rabbit, I may be to aggressive to make an error. I should have read your post when I was not in a hurry. Thanks for your correction.

Anyway, I think I don't like you too much, since you look like loving Volkl more than I do. :lol: Even if I also love Volkl, I am not that satisfied with the quality of recent Volkls. My C10 Pro is lossing its logo despite it's young age. The finish of C10 Pro should not be the best in my opinion. They may need put serial numbers just like Yonex does.

Rabbit
03-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Simba - that's OK, cause I like you... even if you do have reading comprehension problems. And, if me liking Volkl is the root cause of your not liking me, then I'll just have to forge on with the knowledge that someone out there doesn't like me because of my racket alliegance. It's a sad thing, but we all have to make a stand somewhere. I know this will probably raise your ire toward me, but dadgummit, I love Volkl rackets. Not just some of 'em, all of 'em. Even those I haven't hit with. There, I said it. I know you probably really hate me now, but you gotta admire honesty.

I've had an epiphany. I know now through this exchange what Rodney King meant when he said "Why can't we all just get along?" I like everybody, regardless of what racket they play with, Volkl, Prince, Head, Yonex, ESTUSA, Wilson, hell even Babolat. 8)

Galain - send me an e-mail please sir.

JB
03-24-2004, 12:25 PM
[quote="Rabbit"]Simba - that's OK, cause I like you... even if you do have reading comprehension problems. And, if me liking Volkl is the root cause of your not liking me, then I'll just have to forge on with the knowledge that someone out there doesn't like me because of my racket alliegance. It's a sad thing, but we all have to make a stand somewhere. I know this will probably raise your ire toward me, but dadgummit, I love Volkl rackets. Not just some of 'em, all of 'em. Even those I haven't hit with. There, I said it. I know you probably really hate me now, but you gotta admire honesty.

I've had an epiphany. I know now through this exchange what Rodney King meant when he said "Why can't we all just get along?" I like everybody, regardless of what racket they play with, Volkl, Prince, Head, Yonex, ESTUSA, Wilson, hell even Babolat.

Rabbit - You are one funny guy. I like your wit. Simba prob hates me too, because I too love all Volkl racquets. Skis too.

Simba
03-24-2004, 02:37 PM
BO~RING! It was a joke! Man! Your reading comprehension seems to be so and so. :lol:

Rabbit
03-25-2004, 03:11 AM
Simba-my reading comprehension? Now I know you're joking. And since you're a fan of the Sound of Music, you must surely know that a "so and so" is simply a needle pulling thread.

JB
03-25-2004, 08:33 AM
SIMBA - I'm pretty confident with my reading comprehension. I'm guessing based on your post that english is not your first language.

baseliner
03-25-2004, 10:01 AM
Rabbit "a needle pulling thread"! I got a kick out of that (or don't I get a kick out of champagne? Different song/movie. Love the C-9. Will demo the C-10. Seems it has held it's price $169 for a racket that has been out for 3+ years. At least the 6.0 PS (85) is in the 120 range. Oh well I guess you pay for quality. Rabbit you said you loved all Volkls. I loved the C-9 and hit once with the C-10 and liked it. I hit with a Quantum and for some reason didn't really jell with it. Were you just kidding or really like the line all up and down?
Regards

Rabbit
03-25-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm sorry, I may have taken a little poetic license for Simba's benefit. :?

There have been a few Volkls that I didn't like, one being the Tour 9. But hey, that's why Volkl makes different rackets, not all people like the same kind of feel. Same with any other manufacturer except that not many have the feel that Volkl has built into the C series and the Tour 10 series. I really am hooked.

Of the Volkls I have tried and liked a lot and recommend, the V1 in any of its forms is a great frame. The C7 - C10 series were fine rackets all.

I had a hard time deciding between the Tour 10 and Tour 10 MP.

I liked the feel of the Cat 10 although it was too light for me. I could have adjusted, but the last time I played with a really light frame, I wound up with a bad wing. I don't think it would've happened with the Cat 10, because it is balanced differently and not as light as the Wilson 5.0 I used before. It's also not as stiff or as wide.

I also almost bought the C10 OS when it came out. That racket was the only OS that I've ever played with that played like a mid-sized frame. It's a shame it didn't catch on more. With that frame, you could put as much top on the ball as you wanted to. Why didn't I buy it? I just played better the the MP, even though I liked the OS better. And, as much as I like the MP, that's saying something.

I hit with the Tour 7, Volkl's newest OS and like it, but nowhere near as much as the C10 OS.

I have also hit with the Cat-3, but found it too stiff for my tastes. There are quite a few people around here who love it though.

@wright
03-25-2004, 12:12 PM
The language barrier...it's FAN-TASTIC!

Simba
03-25-2004, 01:57 PM
What a weird esthetic sense!

Rabbit
03-26-2004, 02:50 AM
It's almost aesthetic even!

Simba
03-26-2004, 03:13 AM
Whatever .... the poor narrow minded!

Rabbit
03-26-2004, 05:54 AM
Yes, you have my condolences, Simba. 8)

Simba
03-26-2004, 08:50 AM
Grow up! Life is an endless learning. You look like stopping to learn at such a young age. World is wide. You barely know only small part of it. As soon as you think you have done enough, you are history.

JB
03-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Simba - you gotta admit you started this quarrel with Rabbit by your comments earlier in this thread. Must say I have really enjoyed Rabbit's comments - sorry the fun has come at your expense. You keep giving him more ammo though! If you are going to try to go head to head with Rabbit you might want to pick up a grammar book and dictionary...because right now you are getting crushed.

Gotta commend you for the effort and for being a good sport! These threads can get boring.

Simba
03-26-2004, 10:28 AM
I already said I have made a mistake and this thread is BORING.

Maybe you need to learn more than Rabbit. "Commend?"... :lol:

Mind your own business!

JB
03-26-2004, 09:45 PM
SIMBA - I think you misunderstood. The word commend means to applaud or congratulate. I didn't mean COMMAND....and No, I'm not in the military and no, I don't "never be your boss" either.

You are one funny character. I look forward to reading more of your post. Keep 'em coming!

Simba
03-26-2004, 11:16 PM
What are you talking about? JB

Rabbit
03-27-2004, 05:22 AM
Simba- my apologies if you were offended. I certainly wasn't offended when you indicated that I was less than truthful with regard to my experiences with Volkl rackets. Mostly because I figured that you were just young and prone to typing/speaking before you think. Just thought I'd have some fun with it. As long as we're doling out lessons here, one should probably not get so mad when one is being flanked at every turn. :D Discretion is the better part of valor. This means that if you see you're not going to win, you might as well give up.

You are correct, I have not traveled the world. I have been out of this country about a half dozen times, but always in this hemisphere. In my own country, I counted up and I've been to 40 of our 50 states. I have lived in different parts of this country my whole life. I know this doesn't qualify me as the world traveler that you are, but we work with what we have.

Simba
03-27-2004, 05:56 AM
Well acknowledged. I owe you an apology.

I will pay more attention on my English. Although it is not likely, I wish we can compete couple of sets by holding C10 Pros together. I am 4.5~5.0. :)

Please keep on posting. I am enjoying yours and like them.

JB
03-27-2004, 06:22 AM
What are you talking about? JB

You RETRACTED your message....were you embarassed?

I was refering to your post where you slammed me. And then "dismissed me"...obviously you retracted the message because you realized you made a mistake. You asked me if I had been in the military, told me that I never be your boss, and thought I had Commanded you.

No worries....

Baseline
03-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Hey Rabbit -- really enjoy your posts. Tell me about the leather grips. I use a T10 MP, and have toyed with the idea of adding a leather grip with an overgrip over it, but was a little leary of what it might do to the balance. When you added the leather, did you notice a discernable difference in the balance or swingweight? Thanks for the help!

NoBadMojo
03-27-2004, 09:27 AM
hi there..i am sure rabbit doesnt mind i field this question. i think first you need to ask yourself why you want the leather grips..leather grips change a few things. they allow you to feel the bevels better and more, they change the balance to more headlight and increase the overall weigh of the frame, they are less cushioned so you feel the ball more and also any vibration if you dont hit the sweetspot, also, they are not as tacky as the synthetic grips. to me, they actually feel more secure when you hit..those cushioned grips almost feel like the racquet twists in your hand sometimes..also i feel like i have more control w. a leather grip. if any of this stuff seems worhwhile to you, then give it a try. since you have the t10mp, why not stay all volkl..their leather grip is nice. i use them w. the wilson tour overgrip and get the best of both worlds. Ed

Rabbit
03-27-2004, 02:54 PM
well put, Ed. You completely stole my thunder. I like them because of exactly what Ed said, you get a more precise feel for the bevels and a harder feel. I grew up with leather and really like the firmer feel that a leather grip provides. Another bonus is that you'll get your caluses back.

jayserinos99
03-27-2004, 04:01 PM
i have my t10 mps with volkl leather grips and wilson pro (white) overgrips on them. i love the feel of leather but can't get over the feeling that the slick grip is gonna make my racquet fly out of my hand.

Baseline
03-29-2004, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the advice on the leather grips, guys. I mainly wanted the improved feel for the bevels. I'm definitely going to try it on the T10's.