PDA

View Full Version : Diablo = Elbow Pain?

Benjamin
03-23-2004, 06:06 AM
In a recent post I put up, Audiodude said, "After playing with the Diablo the last three times out I'm starting to experience some tenderness in my elbow. Thus ends the demo of the Diablo Mid."

Has anyone else experienced elbow pain when using either of the Diablo racquets?

As I stated in a previous e-mail, I'm going to demo four racquets, two of which were the Diablo models. If they cause elbow pain (which is something I wouldn't expect because of their flex), maybe I should look at two different demos to replace the Diablos.

I'm choosing four from: Diablo, Diablo Midplus, Tour 10 MP, Tour 95, ROK, LM Prestige, Power Beam Braided. Had basically decided to try the Tour 10 MP, the ROK, and the two Diablos. May have to change that if the Diablos seem to be hard on the elbow.

Benjamin

TW Staff
03-23-2004, 06:54 AM
Since I've suffered from tennis elbow over the years, I'll offer my 2 cents. We playtested the Diablo for almost 3 weeks, and I never felt any discomfort or pain. In fact, I found the Diablo Mid quite comfortable.

Don/Tennis Warehouse

Benjamin
03-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Thanks Don for your input. In looking at the flex rating for the two models, they would seem to indicate that the Diablos would be easy on the elbow. Glad to hear you feel the same way.

One quick question to you Don: do you feel the mid or the midplus would be a better fit for someone looking for great touch/feel and maneuverability at the net? {In reading your comments in the review, it seems as though you would say the Midplus, but I just wanted to make sure I was reading your comments correctly}

Thanks again for your comments.

Benjamin

Robert Jones
03-23-2004, 10:43 AM
I recently purchased a Diablo MP for my sore shoulder. It was one of the few raquets that I could play three set with that did not give me a sore post game shoulder.

I have not added lead yet, maybe its the head lightness of it that helps.

Jaro
03-24-2004, 12:30 AM
I've just purchased Diablo Mid+ and it is very comfortable, much better for my elbow than my previous racquet Bab PD.

Morpheus
03-24-2004, 03:05 AM
Tennis elbow can happen with any racket. The Diablo is a relatively soft stick, so I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you don't have any problems with the POG.

I didn't have any problems with either the mid or mid+ and I'm pretty sensitive to this. I know pretty quickly if I"m going to have trouble with a racket, and it is always stiffness that gets me. Any racekt above 66 seems problematic.

I think you should just buy the thing. Put the demo money you save into a couple of sessions with a pro to work out that forehand problem.

Robert Jones
03-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Strings can cause arm problems. Strings that grab the ball for more spin will torque your arm more.

Strings that are stiff will shock your arm more

Strings that have high tension will shock your arm more

Improper motion no mater what string you have can hurt your arm.

To say tennis elbo has nothing to do with the stick or strings is saying that you would get tennis elbo by simply swinging at nothing but air. One way to verify this would be to have someone go out and play 3 phantom sets in which you swing as you normally do but never contact the ball. If you still get arm problems then you can say its not due to the stiffness of the stick or the type and tension of the stings.

Basically tennis elbo is probably more to do with the impact than the motion. Just because there is not good hard scientific evidence does not mean that its not shock related.

Years ago there was no scientific data to prove smoking had any ill effects. As most people know it does.

Audiodude
03-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Benjamin,

Just to clarify. I was only beginning to feel a little tenderness. It felt like it may be the onset of tennis elbow. It may never have developed beyond slight tenderness. I'm just not willing to take the risk. With the POG I feel nothing. Even after playing 6 or 7 days in a row. Since I didn't feel like the Diablo was a significant upgrade from the POG, there was no reason to continue to entertain the idea of switching to the Diablo. I still think the Diablo is a very good racquet and well worth a serious demo. I'll be interested in your thoughts since you use the POG, as well.

Mike