PDA

View Full Version : PK Ionic 5X musings - sweeet!

scarnley
01-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Just finished my fifth hitting session with this stick, second set of strings, and I have to tell you guys that this is one really nice racquet.

Off the ground, good controllable power and spin off both sides, very solid feel and has the comfort the old 5G was noted for. I know this is supposed to be the update of the 7G, but IMO this bat has more flex to it than the 7G does, and also more flex than the old 5 as well. Kennex claims 65 on stiffness, but TW lists them at 62, which seems about right to me based on some of the other racquets I've been hitting, most recently the LM Prestige MP. Moves around pretty good at net, didn't really notice the extra 1/2 inch anywhere but on serves.

Absolutely great serving stick. How they made a racquet that serves as strong as this does and still lets you control it off the ground is beyond me.
Used to swing the Pure Drive Plus, which I thought was about as good as it gets for something to serve with. The 5X is maybe just a notch below the PD for banging serves, but way ahead in the "keep my groundies off the fence" department.

You can really "grab" the ball on spin serves with this racquet, and the pattern ain't all that open. Very good kick and slice, with alot of movement on the ball if you want it. IMO a big improvement on the 5G and 7G. Can't imagine that the standard length 5 and the PSE aren't significantly improved as well, since they seem to be derivatives of the same base frame.

Not that easy to get with their constant supply issues, and their website is pretty bad, but well worth the trouble to seek out and give it a try.

scarnley
01-01-2005, 06:54 PM
To finish up, 5.0 singles player, semi western FH and one handed BH. Mainly all court, but like to head to net when I get the chance.

Luxilon Ace18 mains @ 65lbs, Laserfibre Syn. Gut @ 67lbs.

dParis
01-02-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm really looking foward to receiving a KI5 demo (along with Bab PC and Volkl V-9) tomorrow. Specs look good, racquet looks good and comments have been good.

We'll see...

Hyperstate
01-03-2005, 07:59 AM
NoBadMojo's review of the Ionic Ki 5 was spot on. I wanted a more powerful stick than my MP Tour-1 XF and so far, I'm impressed with the 5X. Better control than the XF and the Diablo MP. Very accurate serves. Groundies are heavier (confirmed by hitting partner who said that topspin FHs now jump and rush at him).

Strangely, although it offers more power on the FH side, it seemed weaker to me for the BH. I tend to play with DBH, but I tried hitting some SBHs for fun and man, they were so easy to produce. Tons of spin and flat shots were accurate.

Have made the adjustment and my DBHs have improved (more spin, pace and control) but I'm tempted to switch to SBHs now! haha. Slices stayed low, which is good.

Strung with Kirsch Comp at 63lbs.

dog
01-03-2005, 02:19 PM
I know this is not the "sale' place--but it is brand new and I will sell at half price.

bounce-hit
01-03-2005, 02:37 PM
dog, how can I reach you about your 5x for sale? You can email me at mjlnyc@nyc.rr.com