PDA

View Full Version : Elbow pain and grip size

Progressive10s
03-23-2004, 06:30 AM
I developed tennis elbow through using a stiff racquet and cheap strings. Also, repetitive activities at work contributed as well. My elbow is responding well to exercises and physical therapy, but some web sites say the wrong size grip contributes as well. I have measured my hand using the Wilson grip guide. It's indicates 4 1/2 whereas I have used 4 5/8 most of my life. When I played as a teen and young adult, I used wood, metal, and composite racquets weighing in at 13-14 ounces. I am just wondering how much grip size plays into the equation of tennis elbow.

baseliner
03-23-2004, 07:04 AM
There is a tendency to grip the racket too hard and thus may be a factor in tennis elbow if the grip size is too small. If you are using a larger size than indicated, I don't think the pain is grip size induced. One of the rules of thumb to avoid tennis elbow is go 1 size larger on the grip.

NoBadMojo
03-23-2004, 07:54 AM
please tell us which frame and string you are using so we have a reference point. Ed

VJH
03-23-2004, 10:44 AM
I agree with Baseliner.....When you think of a sledge hammer (the actual hammer, not the racket), you notice that they have a large grip size handle.....This is to prevent one from clenching their fist too tightly. The larger the handle, on either a hammer or racket, the less tension you put on that finicky tennis tendon.

To see for yourself, if you clench your fist tightly, you can feel that elbow tendon engage......When the fist is clenched loosely, you can feel less tension on the tendon.

Progressive10s
03-24-2004, 01:59 AM
When I returned to the game two years ago, I was using a used Prince Precision Equipe Oversize strung with a synthetic gut at 62 lbs. I still have been using the racquet, but I switched my strings to KlipGut and a hybrid on another Equipe. The original grip size was 4 5/8, but I shaved the pallets down to 4 1/2, but I always use an overgrip (Yonex or Wilson) over the grip. I experienced pain in 2002, but not so much in 2003. I had not played in years, but none of the girls on my high school team could rally with my #1 player who reached the state finals. Playing with stiff equipment and playing every day after years of layoff probably contributed. The Equipe is rated as a heavy, but stiff racquet, therefore I want to dump it.