PDA

View Full Version : 16x19 vs 18x20

bertrevert
01-02-2005, 02:03 AM
Am I mistaken or does 18x20 give more spin? I really thought 16x19, the more open pattern gave more spin but I am not so sure anymore.

Let me explain, I have been using 16x19 (Dunlop 300g) for a year, but right now I have an 18x20 (LM Prestige MP) demo. Crikey but the Prestige gives more spin - or am I imagining things?

The Prestige is great at groundstroking, big hard shots with lots of control. However I was playing doubles today and got great spin out of the devil. If not stringbed, could swingwieght cause better spin?

This demo was also strung real loose, perhaps that added spin?

JoostT
01-02-2005, 04:19 AM
There is about 40 grams of difference between those two raquets. The LM Prestige MP is also more headlight. It wouldn´t surprise me if your stroke mechanics totaly changed using the LM Prestige MP.

Gaines Hillix
01-02-2005, 10:25 AM
Agree with JoostT. You're probably generating more racquet head speed with the LM Prestigne MP since it is balanced more head light. You may also have made a grip position change if the grips are shaped differently, producing a greater angle between the frame and the ball?

newbie123
01-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Flex and weight also play a big part on racquet spin, sometimes more so than the string pattern. More flex and more weight = easier to generate spin

Kirko
01-02-2005, 12:14 PM
The "word" is an open pattern, but I always get bigger spin with 18x20 also.

Hawaii 5.0
01-02-2005, 12:39 PM
The more open patterns allow you to gets spin EASIER, but in no way allow of more spin to be attained.The more dense patterns usually have softer flex's and in this case is heavier, both of which are more important than string pattern when it comes to spin. Dense patterns give a much more consistent and controlled spin while open patterns kinda give this erratic,unpredictable spin.It's hard to explain, but those are extreme's.You are also comparing racquets that are very different.The closer the specs the easier it is to see how differences affect play.It is easiest to do this with Topspin racquets becuase they are customizable as far as flex goes.