PDA

View Full Version : Outback Tour: Surprise at lack of clothing sponsor?

Colpo
03-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Caught some of a match last night between Todd Martin and Jim Courier. It occurred to me that for all the good things Courier's InsideOut co. has done to expand the over-30 tour, the lack of a tour-wide clothing sponsor is not one of them.

While I wouldn't expect most of these players to be negotiating individual clothing deals, although several appear to have them, this sort of tour I think would be furthered by having one mother brand do their outfits. Could be almost any brand - it's the consistency and recognizeability of the look that's important.

Courier, who runs the thing, shouldn't be stuck wearing an Outback steaks polo shirt for his matches - it looks a little less than professional particularly given that people pay to watch this and prize money is distributed. Anyone who remembers Jim from about 15-17 years ago knows that he pretty much carried Nike's topflight tennis line in the early 90s (he was yin to Agassi's yang). Now, he looks like he's dressed to runs a Saturday lawnmowing crew.

Wake up, the clothes and look of the whole thing does matter. Your thoughts?

Spatula
03-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Looks as if they all purchase their own clothing as contracts probably have run out. I noticed most who wear Nike are wearing the past seasons stuff versus the newest. Maybe they are working a discount @ TW.

Courier, well he looks goofy but always has so no change their.

Ash Doyle
03-20-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't even notice what a tennis player is wearing so I really don't think it matters to their audience; but then again, I'm 34 years old and I have noticed on these boards that people a decade or so younger than me seem to put a lot of importance in a pros clothes and shoes.

topsltennis
03-20-2008, 11:56 AM
I don't see how this could be done since many of them probably do still have contracts. I know Mac is still with Nike. Not sure what the advantage to the tour would be as I don't know of any tennis tours that have ever had their own clothing sponsor anyway.

Geezer Guy
03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
So, you want all the players to wear the same brand of clothes?
That just seems dorky.

saram
03-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Outback is the major sponsor: why wouldn't Courier wear their stuff? Not like Outback is going to design a clothing line for the Outback tour....:)

And as stated above--Courier has always been in attire suited to Saturday lawn maintenance throughout his entire career.

JZImmer123
03-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Courier looks like one of those NASCARs with the Outback Tour logo embroidered on his clothing and the Standford Financial logo stenciled on this strings. But I guess I wouldn't complain about free clothes ... god I hope he doesn't have to pay for that crap!

JZImmer123
03-20-2008, 08:23 PM
You gotta love the fresh gear Pat Cash sports! Especially the headband; it's classic!