PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Arias - WTF?

JZImmer123
03-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Did anyone catch the Oliver Group Champions Cup (Outback Champions Series) match between Jimmy Arias and Mikael Pernfors? I couldn't believe all the stuff Jimmy Arias was pulling; the stall tactics, all the yelling out loud and screaming nonsense, etc.

I know that these guys are having a little fun while they play but it is still competitive, and Arias should've had more respect for Pernfors. I can tell that Pernfors was getting annoyed (and that's putting it lightly) but him obviously being the better man didn't stoop to level of Jimmy Arias. The fact that he came back to win the match after being down 6-2, 3-0 made Arias's "gamesmanship" like adding insult to injury. Hats off to Mikael Pernfors for being a true class act and not being a sore loser, even though it would've been fully justified had he been visibly angry at Arias.

Thank god I've never had to play anyone like that in a competitive match. I don't know how I'd react.

Inner Game
03-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Jimmy Arias showed his true colors....Arias is just a bobble head no backhand loser with more excuses then Ferris Bueller....
Jimmy go away and please stay off the tennis channel....Your lame!

vwfye
03-20-2008, 08:42 PM
i remember at a wimby when pernfors over ruled a chair umpire when his opponent hit a shot in that was ruled out. 87ish i think. it was a class move.

Moose Malloy
03-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah, Arias takes this too far. I know there is some joking, talking on this tour, but he was non-stop in this match, even the fans looked tired after a point.

I've seen him play Cash & Mac in the past, they didn't look too happy with him.

But I do like his forehand very much. And Pernfors is playing well, after getting manhandled by everyone last year(can't believe he beat Magnus Larsson in this event)

I found this more entertaining, tenniswise, than Courier vs Martin. I'm getting really sick of those 2. When Mac retires, this tour may struggle(time to get Andre)

I'm looking forward to Mac-Larsson tonight.

swimntennis
03-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah, some of his antics were way over the top. The serve with his shirt on his head comes to my mind...

There were some great points in that match though, including the double tweener one.

cghipp
03-21-2008, 01:37 PM
But I do like his forehand very much.No kidding - he says it's better than it was when he was on the tour, and I believe him. He was cracking it when the Outback Tour was in Charlotte last year. I did notice him talking a lot when they were here, but it sounds like he's ratcheted it up a good bit. All I heard was wisecracks to the audience every once in a while.

Pernfors was the old man of the tour last year and looked it on the court. I'm glad to hear he's playing more competitively.

smoothtennis
03-21-2008, 01:45 PM
It was an awesome match I have to admit. I haven't watched Arias before, but remember, he was 0-14 on the tour, and this was his very first win. That may have had something to do with all his jawing.

I just can't believe those guys dug out some of those points on clay like that in the tie break. Arias said at 9-9, he almost threw up and is why he took the time violation warning.

Jimmy's tweener lob was amazing. So was Pernfors squash forehand!

strike
03-25-2008, 08:54 AM
No kidding - he says it's better than it was when he was on the tour, and I believe him. He was cracking it when the Outback Tour was in Charlotte last year. I did notice him talking a lot when they were here, but it sounds like he's ratcheted it up a good bit. All I heard was wisecracks to the audience every once in a while.

I saw Arias the year before last in Charlotte too, when he had bad back and still came out to play Martin. My recollection was the same as yours, I thought he was funny. Perhaps all the losing is getting to him.

But he definitely still had a major forehand!

saram
03-26-2008, 05:53 AM
I watched the match--thought it was pretty good. Arias needed the win. Like Mac, he knew how to shake his opponent up, catch his wind with delays, and worked the whole match to his favor and victory. It was old-school tennis at its best.

seriousrange
03-26-2008, 04:28 PM
OK, Pernfors was cool to say nothing after the match, and yes, he did express himself to Jimmy when he grabbed him around the neck, and it probably wasn't very luvvy-duvvy, but wait a sec, folks, these matches are canted toward entertainment and horsing around, and Jimmy gets it: he has a color-man's reputation to enhance. Was it disrespectful of Pernfors? No, and certainly not after Pernfors expressed himself. And taking the code warning is fair. You have to love the way Jimmy came through with some big shots at the end. I remember seeing him when he was an eleven-year-old in Buffalo, at the MacMillan courts, against Chris Sadkowski of Penn, I believe, and then against the Rev (former Yale captain Bob Hertherington) and he was a tough little cookie in his sunhat and baggy shorts, hitting a sweet inside-out forehand and stepping in on his rotator-cuff-killing one-handed backhand. He's cool; he's smart; long life to him as a color-guy.

stormholloway
03-26-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm not so sure this was a big deal. Arias always has this act. He really did play his way back into this match, and got lucky at the right moments. This was a very entertaining match, one Pernfors should have won. He let down just enough to give Arias to get going and he did just that.

GS
03-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Whenever I hear Arias doing tennis commentary on TV, he always sounds like a weasel. So, I always have to hit the mute button.

AR15
03-27-2008, 01:48 PM
All the talking and "antics" didn't bother me. In fact, I think the repoir with the audience is what makes the Champions series more fun to watch.

swimntennis
03-27-2008, 03:13 PM
All the talking and "antics" didn't bother me. In fact, I think the repoir with the audience is what makes the Champions series more fun to watch.

I enjoy that too.

I also think that, because there (IMO) is so much less on the line, the players can have more fun, be more relaxed, and therefore play looser & better. One of the commentators said Jimmy was hitting his forehand bigger than he did before he retired. Not sure if that's true or not.

NikeWilson
03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Whenever I hear Arias doing tennis commentary on TV, he always sounds like a weasel. So, I always have to hit the mute button.

agreed.
but he should atleast stick to one or the other. not both.

vbranis
03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
It's better to see Arias having fun out there than those players who treat a match like a life-and-death situation (Sharapova and countless others). Also, I'm tired of pros acting up, cursing everywhere, and smashing racquets, instead of reminding themselves of how lucky they are for playing tennis as a living. If more current pros would act like Arias, I guarantee you more fans would come out and watch, and tennis ratings would go up. Come on people, lighten up and have some fun, it's just a game. Good job Arias, thanks for some laughs.

!Tym
03-28-2008, 10:51 PM
I agree with you to an extent, but if players DON'T take their matches life and death serious on the main tour, then we probably WON'T be seeing them on the seniors tour. Why? Because they won't have achieved enough to even be invited onto the seniors tour.

I agree that tennis is just a game, but at the main tour level A LOT really IS on the line for these guys (and gals). Their sponsors, their hometown fans, their parents' and the huge investment they've made, their agents, future considerations of making enough money to ensure never having to worry about money again for the rest of their life, ranking points to protect, and on and on. They've got A LOT on their minds besides JUST the tennis, because they are in a HIGH-PRESSURE *business* environment. ANY pro sport at the pinnacle of competition is no longer just a game, it's business and with business comes serious responsibilities and burdens. There's really, imo, no way around it. It's only a VERY few percentage of the population who play tennis at the highest level on the main tour WITHOUT feeling like a slave to all the pressure.

By comparison, to me, the seniors tour has its place, it's tennis for the sake of tennis, it helps you appreciate the game just for what it is, a beautiful GAME and RECREATIONAL activitiy, the sport that can last a lifetime, the sport you can enjoy with your neighbor's wife (shh...but don't tell), etc.

This said, the awful-gosh-darn seriousness and FRET of the youngin's on tour also has its place. Without it, we never would have been treated to the THEATRE that is...Agassi-Medvedev French final, Bruguera-Courier French final, Seles-Graf French final, Agassi-Ivanisevic Wimbledon final, Sampras-Corretja Open quarters, etc. I mean those are all seriously some of the most dramatic nail-biting matches I've ever seen. And yet those matches would have felt like NOTHING to us if the players *weren't* playing their pearts out, pardon the pun. If the players themselves don't wear the expression of oh my goodness, this is a life or death situation, then why should we...care?

Everyone knows that in the big scheme of things that if a big rock from outer space hits earth one day and wipes out 95% of life as we know it...eh, this whole "tennis" thing probably isn't that important.

The truth is it's NOT important AT ALL, in the grand scheme of things. In reality, it's just a DIVERSION.

And yet for me, I *want* my active touring pros to make it seem real, because it helps me buy into this whole fantasy bit, that these grand slams actually meaning something, anything (heck, after all, it's not like Roger's ever going to let me touch any of his precious earth element trophies).

Ultimately, I think the seniors tour is good for regularly and consistently putting on *entertaining* matches, but at the expense of DRAMATIC matches. Drama requires PERSONAL investment on EVERYONE'S part, which as we all know is very draining. The seniors tour lets BOTH tennis fans AND the players just let their hair down (if they still have any).

That's a part of "sport" too. It's like comparing the Harlem Globetrotters to the real NBA playoffs.

And yet, I would like to point out that this Arias-Pernfors match which mind you did NOT feature big names ACTUALLY merited and generated enough interest for its very own thread, which is A LOT more than you can say for 99.9% of the other seniors tour matches that have come and gone the past few years, even those featuring much bigger names than these.

The thing is, I only saw really the champion's tie break, but from what I can tell here, it was the MOST *meaningful* and CHARGED feeling match I can recall watching on the seniors tour (granted, haven't seen toooo many of these matches).

Yes, Arias was still goofing on us, and yet beneath the surface you could tell he REALLY wanted this win DESPERATELY because the smile on his face said one thing, but the FRENETIC energy and body tension in his arms and legs said a different thing entirely.

AND, by the same token, you got the sense that the gentlemanly Pernfors did NOT just want to gift it to this big ham, jerk, & cheese from Long Island either (even if the expression he *wore* said something different...that he was all cool about it).

Bottom-line though is that the end result for the fans was that we saw two mediocre seniors players PUSHING OFF EACH OTHER TO *COLLECTIVELY* RAISE THEIR GAMES when it counted most. I mean some of those points, you could have sworn these guys were still young and playing for something mattered in a slam semi or something.

Remember that one EPIC point they played with all the incredible gets that you didn't think they could get to because of their age? Remember the oohs and ahhs and gasps from the crowd? I do, and that's precisely because there WAS something MAJOR on the line here.

Jimmy Arias desperately wanted to get the monkey off his back, and FINALLY win a match on the tour. Any idea how embarrassing that must have been for him inside to know that he had lost FOURTEEN straight matches on the tour? I don't care if you're just a light-hearted senior now, that is going to eat away at ANYBODY, *especially* when you know at least *some* of the world IS watching via the internet, on tv, and in person.

And for Pernfors part would you liked to be known as the guy who FINALLY managed to lose to the guy who was 0-14? No, of course not. Either way you look at it, no one wants to be that guy.

Ultimately, that's the closest as you're going to get to "real" drama on a seniors court, short of maybe the year-ending championships. And the thing is, as fans, that IS a good thing. Nine times out of ten, you clown around and banter as these seniors guys do and you CAN'T produce your best tennis. Producing your best tennis requires a certain mindset, and that requires your adrenaline to get seriously pumping.

To often on the seniors tour, what you find is a consistently decent level of play, but NEVER the impetus for fueling that little extra gear. It's the tennis equivalent, of watching two guys tread water and try jokes on each other in between to kill the time. What's missing in other words is only the oohs and ahs...spontaneous GASP...points the kind we got in this champions tie-break. And yet it is precisely those ooh and ah-GASP points that is the difference between main tour guys and senior guys. Two skilled players bantering can co-exist but they can NEVER *push* each other to new heights. For that, it takes two to tango. On the seniors tour, it's like the players are basically the same player except that they all lose their extra gear.

To me, the reason a guy like McEnroe is still competitive at his age, is because (if you'll notice) he works himself up MUCH MORE than his younger competitors. People think he's just naturally uptight, but I tend to think he's cold and calculating and he knows EXACTLY what he needs to do and how he needs to "act" if he doesn't want to embarrass himself out there at his age. He is like a brilliant actor to me these days who has to put his best GAME FACE on for the show. AT HIS AGE, without that snarl he wears (...and the inevitable adrenaline rush that goes with it), he simply wouldn't be able to compete anymore. Age is certainly not at his advantage anymore, so to me the biggest advantage by far he has over his younger counterparts on the seniors tour is that he's able to manufacture more adrenaline coursing through his veins.

AND, it's not just entirely an act either. Not only is McEnroe a good actor, but he is ALSO *really actually old*, meaning if you look at it from his perspective, man, I've only got one or two more years left in me to be a world class tennis player. I mean after that, that's IT, that's REALLY it, I'll be too old to compete anymore EVEN IF I can still get the adrenaline pumping. To the younger guys? Eh...there's always next year, I'll get that darn Harhuis next year! ...but in the mean time, Mardi Gras looks fun this time of year. Any Girls Gone Wild in the area, in, where are we, Charlotte?

Pernforce
04-02-2008, 06:18 AM
No kidding - he says it's better than it was when he was on the tour, and I believe him. He was cracking it when the Outback Tour was in Charlotte last year. I did notice him talking a lot when they were here, but it sounds like he's ratcheted it up a good bit. All I heard was wisecracks to the audience every once in a while.

Pernfors was the old man of the tour last year and looked it on the court. I'm glad to hear he's playing more competitively.

Last year Pernfors was severly injured. He was a little to nice when he let Arias into the match again. Arias is a little *****.

Pernforce
04-02-2008, 06:21 AM
I'm not so sure this was a big deal. Arias always has this act. He really did play his way back into this match, and got lucky at the right moments. This was a very entertaining match, one Pernfors should have won. He let down just enough to give Arias to get going and he did just that.

Pernfors heart is too big. He could have crushed Arias if he wanted. I know that for sure. Arias is not the gentlemen, thats all.

cghipp
04-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Last year Pernfors was severly injured. He was a little to nice when he let Arias into the match again. Arias is a little *****.How was he severely injured? He didn't look injured, and he was able to play all of his matches, so I wonder how severe any injury could have been.

Moose Malloy
04-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Pernfors did mention that he played through injury last year(not sure how severe it was), which might explain his results a bit.

I understand why he would still play though, it is extra money, & it is a great opportunity for a retired player to get to play in front of crowds again.

Guys on the ATP tour play with injuries a lot as well.

Moose Malloy
04-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Looks like Arias is on a roll after breaking his 'O for', here is what he did on the Outback stop in Grand Cayman last week(on clay):

Jimmy Arias def. John McEnroe 7-5, 6-2

Jim Courier def. Jimmy Arias 7-6(5), 6-4

Jimmy Arias def. Mats Wilander 6-1, Ret.

3rd Place Match - Jimmy Arias def. Paul Haarhuis 7-6(3), 2-6, 10-8(TB)

on the Courier match:

One day after his stunning upset of McEnroe, Arias said his level of play did not change much against Courier. However, not being able to win the key points and a slight lapse in his conditioning were the reasons he gave for his loss.

Its still the same tough conditions, said Arias. Its just a matter of a few points in both matches. I could have lost to McEnroe and I actually could have won today, which is pretty good for me to be able to play (Courier) that close, to tell you the truth, because hes stronger, younger and pretty talented. I actually felt like I had a lot of chances, but I still have to get in better shape because after the first set, I started fading physically. I think he sensed that and sort of stepped it up a little.

http://www.championsseriestennis.com/news.php?newsid=517