PDA

View Full Version : prostaff tour 90 or prostaff 6.0 MP...which is better?

mikejsb876
01-02-2005, 10:26 AM
which do you think is better and why

mikejsb876
01-02-2005, 01:38 PM
both racquets are similar and obviously the tour 90 is newer .... im still uncertain ... how do you feel

SocalTennis
01-02-2005, 01:48 PM
I would say PS 6.0 95, it's more forgiving than the tour 90.

TripleB
01-02-2005, 02:32 PM
I have a playtester review that should be up soon (sent it in to TW two weeks ago Tuesday) where I compare the ProStaff 6.0 85, ProStaff 6.0 95, nSix-One 95, and nSix-One Tour 90.

The ProStaff 6.0 95 is a better racquet in EVERY category compared to the nSix-One Tour 90 and was the best racquet of the four with the nSix-One 95 coming in a close second.

I found the Tour 90 to be a horrible racquet!!! (just my opinion of course)

TripleB

mikejsb876
01-02-2005, 02:49 PM
im in the market for getting these 6.0 frames.... i decided that id rather get a solid racquet then just get a "piece yonex frame" that wouldnt suit my playing style... not bashing yonex in anyway but i believe there are many other racquets out that are better then the Rd Ti 70 Long oversize ... lmao

mikejsb876
01-02-2005, 03:23 PM
what about just the regular prostaff tour 90 and 95 ? have u playtested those?

TW rates the prostaff origional 6.0 95 sq as

Overall 78
Volleys 81
Topspin 75
Slice 75
Groundstrokes 80
serves and overheads 76
touch and feel 79
comfort 76
manuverability 71
control 80
power 66

and the prostaff tour 95 as

Overall 74
Volleys 81
Topspin 77
Slice 74
returns 78
Groundstrokes 74
serves and overheads 71
touch and feel 76
comfort 75
manuverability 77
control 79
power 63

so TW gives the 6.0 the upper hand with this one

BreakPoint
01-02-2005, 03:43 PM
I find the Tour 90 and the nSix-One Tour to be pretty similar, with a nSix-One Tour a bit better. So if one likes the PS 6.0 95 over the nSix-One Tour then you're definitely going to like it better than the Tour 90. What level player are you and how strong are you physically?

jings
01-02-2005, 04:51 PM
All round I would have to go with the 6.0 95, in the end I couldn't come to terms with the Tour 90 weight. I think if I played more often I'd be able to really get on with the Tour 90, it's awesome off the floor and just so stable when hitting - I don't think I've ever hit a better forehand for example. At the net it was pretty easy to get in place, but not quite like the 6.0 95. The clincher for me was serve though. T90 just too big for me to get moving properly on a consitent basis to keep serve speed up. Otherwise placement and control with T90 is fun and you can slice the back hand up a storm. 6.0 95 though just an easier frame to use all round and no sense of tiring on serves or single back hand later in a session. There is a fundamental difference between the two though as the T90 I would say has more flex in the main beam than the 6.0 95, with possibly the 6.0 softer in the head (!) than the T90. You definitely get a different feel hitting out with both frames. I've just bought the Asian n90 which is stock at 11.3ozs and this feels stiffer in the beam than the T90, so possibly the US n90 is a little closer to the old 6.0s than the T90 - but with the step down in weight it's hard to do a fair comparison.

Btw, I'm lovin' the Asian n90 - early days but stupidly I strung at a slightly lower tension than usual rather than change just one variable and will have to go back to usual tension. I was expecting to need to add some lead, but so far so good.

mikejsb876
01-02-2005, 04:59 PM
im a sectional zone advancement tournament player.... i guess that could translate to about 4.0-4.5 and im not that strong...my physical attributes are 72.6 kg (160lbs) and 1.88 meters (6'2").... boy i love the metric system...lol

BreakPoint
01-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Jings,
Could you please elaborate a little more on your experiences with the Asian n6.1 Tour and how it compares to the PS 6.0 95 (and the U.S. n6.1 Tour, if you've tried it)? Thanks.

BreakPoint
01-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Mike,
I'd go with the PS 6.0 95 if I were you. My opinion is that the Tour 90 is better suited for physically strong 5.0+ players.

Ryoma Kun
01-02-2005, 07:28 PM
6.0 95

easier to wield, more feel more power. the tour 90 had more control but less power and A LOT hard to move around. original 95 could serve and volley better and i didnt have as much trouble driving shots. i use the ps original 85
but strung low, its SWEET!

jings
01-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Also on 6.0 95 try a little lead in the hoop, it helps, although I play it stock and have done a while. Gut mains / Lux Alu crosses also give the frame a little zip if you're looking for that.

Breakpoint - delighted to elaborate. Have played 6.095 for more years than I care to remember but of late not often enough and find I'm getting caught a little, particularly on my single b/h. My mechanics are fine when I get time to set up and the 6.095 does splendidly then, but it's when I'm rushed that things struggle and I need a bit of wrist to bail me out. I've only hit with the Asian n90 once so far and will post here again. Specs are a bit rough and ready but its 11.3 oz stock, 9pts H/L, 16 x 19, 17mm beam - size and cosmetics identical to the US stick, which I haven't swung as you can't get them out here. I bought a matched pair of the US T90s though and can reference against those if that helps - let me know. Asian n90 (An90)surprisingly stable for its weight relative to beam width. I thought I'd miss some of the plough through that you get on the heavier t90 and 6.0 95 but actually An90 handles itself well. Still working out just how much I can hit out with this frame and the lower than ususal tension is confusing me a bit, but I'd say it handles very like the 6.0 95 in general feel and I can take pretty big cuts at the ball. I'm not a huge spinner of the ball, but seem to get good spin at the moment as the frame swings through quite quickly and I'm getting some good snap into strokes. Volleys are fun as it's a very easy stick to move about and serving is fun again as I can really swing out with this one. Power level seems at or around the 6.0 95, so not a Ferrari, but enough there if you are timing it. I've not had a problem with the 90 sq in head size with the An90 or the t90 when I hit then - next to no difference in actual size as far as I can see, although you need to hit more in the centre of the 90s than the 6.0 95. Stock I think the An90 will be just a hair too light, so will be putting some lead in the y to add just a little mass, but I'm looking to keep it around 11.8oz and certainly under 12oz after overgrip, dampner etc. I've strung at 58/54, but will be going back to 60/56 as soon as I can. If you're looking for a very user friendly player frame then this is it I'd say. Nothing daft in the weight department, either way, power is more than under control and the beam width and general manoeuvreablility make it quite happy anywhere on court. Much as I'd love to still hit my 6.0s I'd need to play more. The An90 seems a very good compromise to me. Should have a better feel after tomorrow - just hit it the once so far.

thebanker
01-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Jings,

Thanks for your feedback of the Asian Ncode 90, it was very helpful. Anyhow, where did you purchase the racquet from, I've been trying to get my hands on a pair.

Thanks,

thebanker.
:D

BreakPoint
01-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Jings,
Thanks for the info. Yes, please keep us updated as you get a chance to play with the An90 more. Sounds very attractive so far and I'm very interested in it. I tried the U.S. n6.1 90 and liked most things about it except that it was just a tad too heavy to swing over a long period of time. It was also hard to flick the ball at the last second or to get the racquet in position for some volleys due to the weight. I had no problems at all with the 90 sq. in. head. In fact, I thought the sweetspot was larger than that of the PS 6.0 95. So far, it sounds like a 90 sq. in. version of the PS 6.0 95, which is what I'm looking for. However, I also wonder if it may be just a bit too light. I think 11.8 - 12.0 oz. would be ideal (my PS 6.0 95's weigh 12.5 oz. with overgrip and dampener, otherwise stock).

BTW, how much do the An90's cost and do they sell them in matched pairs? I've requested TW try and bring these in and so far all they could say is that they will try but no promises.

Thanks again.

jings
01-02-2005, 11:00 PM
the banker / breakpoint, glad to help. I demoed the Asian n6-1 95 before as well but it was too wide in the beam at 22mm for me - I love the t90 / n90 mould - but otherwise was pretty reliable. I fear I'm too wedded to the box beam feel after all these years and hence dealt on the An90 without a demo. Something about the mould that just brings so much feel all the way to the tip of the frame - you know where your racquet is all the time. Talking of sweet spot, I let my pro / coach have a hit who normally uses a Surge and he was very surprised at how big the sweet spot was ... I digress.

I've actually thrown the guys card away but will drop in on my way home and get his details. banker if you live in Singapore it was in Queensway Centre, but I've seen them in Royal Sporting House too. They don't come in matched pairs out here, but as I'll be adding some lead this isn't the end of the world. This may sound a bit flash but can't quite remember exactly what i paid for the racquet as I bought an n-code super six bag at the same time (don't you hate marketing!). I paid S$250 for the both I think, which would equate to about US$150 in total - so a bit cheaper than the US I think, but I've noticed that on prices in general in Asia. I guess as they don't use so much n-code in the lighter frame they can charge less?!

Will pop back tomorrow with details and any more thoughts after another hit. Breakpoint did you think the US n90 felt different to the t90 and closer to the 6.0 95 feel ... ie a little stiffer in the beam? If so it would seem the Asian version is very similar to the US, just a whole lot easier to swing!

And apologies to mikejsb876 for getting a little off topic.

mikejsb876
01-02-2005, 11:35 PM
hey not a problem... its always great to hear about closely related frames... i appreciate all those that contributing in helping me with this

BreakPoint
01-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Jings,
Thanks for the additional info. Yes, I thought the US n90 had more feel and was a bit more flexible than the T90. The T90 felt even heavier, stiffer, and more sluggish than the n90. Coming from the PS 6.0 95 I guess I found it would be easier to switch to the n90 than to the T90 so the n90 and the PS 6.0 95 must be more similar to each other.

BTW, US$150 for both the An90 and the nCode super six bag is quite a bargain. At TW, the racquet alone goes for US$180 and the bag was like US$90 when it came out, so the total would have been US$270 before tax and shipping. Say, how much do you think it would cost to ship a racquet from Singapore to the U.S. (Calif.)?

BTW2, I lived in Singapore in the early '90's on Holland Hill Road and played tennis at the American Club.

proracketeer
01-03-2005, 02:36 AM
What about the Hyper PS 6.0 95?

jings
01-04-2005, 12:57 AM
I was surprised when I ran the numbers too Breakpoint, but I'm pretty sure I'm ball park there. I think shipping is in the neighbourhood of US$40-50, judging from what I pay when I get stuff from TW sent out here. Posted on the Asian n90 thread as well, so see new comments on the frame there. Basically I really like it - lots of Prostaff feel but lighter and very useable. Hit now and again at the American Club, good courts and nice part of town. If you remember Royal Sporting House you can check them on google and see if they can help on the frame - my shop won't ship sadly.

Aykhan Mammadov
01-04-2005, 01:23 PM
I suppose that Pro Staff Tour 90 is the best between.

It is the heaviest racquet available for sale between all brands ( at the moment Tour 90 is not offered by TW) , probably automatically the least dangerous for your elbow. In comparison with the new N-Code, of course, it must be more demanding because it is a little heavier, but not so much, and it doesn't mean that it demands so much that you can't play with it. Easily, and the heavier a racquet - more powerful is you strike.

It is much more beautiful than new version n-Code what is also point at least for such "stupid" people as me.

And it is much more cheapier.