PDA

View Full Version : Two different sticks?

Alley Cat
01-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Quick question to the board members......do any of you have two different type frames (not number of racquets) in your bag rather than dedicating yourselves to one racquet model? Over the years I have always had just one racquet that I used (most recently my LM Prestige MP's) but recently the Yonex MP 5 that I tried has provided some other characteristics that I like (spin, kick serve, etc.) So I now have both racquets in my bag and switch occassionally. My question is this: ..Do you think that it makes sense to dedicate yourself to just one frame to raise the level of your game, or is it alright to carry a couple of sticks and switch now and then depending on your mood or success on the court. Does having two racquets hurt your game in the long run? Just wondering on a Sunday night.

el_mago
01-02-2005, 03:36 PM
I carry only one stick, my Prince NXG, in my bag. I know it isn't good just to have one stick, so I'm planning on buying another NXG. I'd stick with two of the same sticks because two different sticks can be similar in performance but each stick has its own characteristics. I'd go with two of the same sticks that you're most comfortable and accustomed to using.

Power Game
01-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Have LM prestige mids and Babolat Aeropro controls. Use only one for college season and the other for fun

Ronaldo
01-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Have a Volkl CAT 1 for dubs and primetime, Head LM Instinct XL for fun, groundies, and singles, its awesome, baby.

BLiND
01-02-2005, 04:57 PM
I have LM Prestige Mid for summer, and MP for winter.

El Diablo
01-02-2005, 05:10 PM
If your goal is to be the best player you can, one stick. Tennis is mostly about consistency and depth, which means developing motor memory with the same racquet, over and over. If your goal is more to have fun, hit with a dust mop or whatever else you feel like using.

moosryan
01-02-2005, 05:38 PM
i have 2 mp lm radicals, and maybe i'll get a third, but for now i bring my dad's ti radical to tournaments in case i should break both. i like the consistency. demoing a lot of racquets really screwed with my game. thankfully the consistency of having one great racquet has brought it back to normal.

Craig Sheppard
01-02-2005, 06:32 PM
I carry 3 Fischer Pro Extreme FTs into a match, with different string setups. I usually also throw in 2 Slazenger Pro X1s and only pull them out if I'm playing REALLY bad. I'll yell at the Extremes in my head and then "bench" them and go with the X1s. Like the Extremes have feelings or something. hehe Hope they are ****ed they're sitting in my bag! But it makes me feel better sometimes, and the different feel just gives me a kick. It's usually only after I've thrown in the towel though. Probably not the best strategy, but anything to get some good results. If I play well w/ the X1s, well then at least I took something good from the day. Ok that was over emotionalizing (word?) it quite a bit, but best I can explain it...

Craig

Gaines Hillix
01-02-2005, 07:03 PM
I sometimes carry 3 or 4 different types of racquets with me and use a couple of them in macthes. A couple of them are frames I'm just experimenting with. The ones I play with are usually a lower powered frame like a PS 6.0 95 and one that's a little lighter and more powerful like a PK Laver S. I carry two of the frame I most often play with(the PK).

bcaz
01-02-2005, 09:24 PM
I carry two Estusa PBBs in my bag, usually with slightly different set-ups (string/tension). I own several other racquets, and I usually have one or two of them in my bag to hit with now and then. I use gut and live in a dry climate, but when I travel, I will take one of my non-game sticks along that's strung with something other than gut.

SocalTennis
01-02-2005, 09:38 PM
I have no problem with changing to different stick even in the same match. Personally it doesn't mess with my game because love the characteristic of all my racquets. I have PS 95, POG OS, i. Prestige, and Ti. Classic in my bag at all time. My main stick is the POG OS, but I prefer the PS 95 when I play double because it's a good serve and volley stick.

All of my racquets are 12+ ounces so it doesn't gives different feel when I change to a different racquet.

Anyways, it's perfectly fine to have two or more racquets as long as it doesn't messes with your game. good luck

equinox
01-02-2005, 11:19 PM
I use two setups of racquets in my bag.

1st setup.

3 PD standards. Used in singles and when i want to have fun cracking the ball hard on serves.

2nd setup.

2 POG OS + 1 Chang Graphite. Used in doubles. When i need the control and comfort.

Ray Wong
01-02-2005, 11:53 PM
PS85/T90/N90/LM prestige mid & Bab. Pure Drive. I expected PD can give more power and comfort, I disappointed that PD only with power but without comfort & feel. Normally, I put PD in my bag for spare or lend it to my friends.

SC in MA
01-03-2005, 05:47 AM
For many years, I used to carry 3 of the same sticks. I didn't want to change any variables in my game. And I felt this lessened the chances of any arm problems as well.

A couple of years ago, I decided to try to find a new holy grail. So, I'm now carrying 3 different sticks, though two of them are pretty similar. The HPS 61 and the nCode95. My newest stick, the Wilson H Tour, is a real change from the more traditional players rackets I've always favored. It's a very fun racket to hit with indoors, though I notice arm pangs after hitting with it.

I recently changed rackets in-between sets, which is something I basically never do except when a string breaks. I played the first set with the nCode, which is slightly weighted, mainly for the outdoor clay court season. I was playing indoors and I found I was hitting everything late, especially backhand drive returns. I switched to the lighter, more manuverable H Tour and my game definitely improved. So I guess it paid off.

I guess if I was really serious about my game, I would still carry 3 of the same sticks, whatever they might be. But I think its much more interesting to try different sticks, which sort of dictates one of each new stick (at least for me with my limited budget!). I'm now hankering to try the LM Prestige MP.

Mulligan
01-03-2005, 02:48 PM
I often use a couple of different racquets during the course of the year. Usually have a couple of my current "comfort" racquets that feel good and I use most of the time. But I typically have a second racquet type that I am either demoing or using as an alternative just for kicks. Sometimes its a psychological help, other times I may just switch to it for a change of pace.