PDA

View Full Version : Question for Triple B

Gaines Hillix
01-02-2005, 06:47 PM
BBB, wanted to compare notes on the POG MP and PS 6.0 95. I've been using the PS for a while and on a good day I play pretty well(for me!) with it. Just had a chance to use a POG MP today and I really liked it. It was strung with ALU Power at 62lbs. CP(I strung it for a customer and he let me play a couple of sets with it). The POG MP had 3" of 1/2" lead tape at 3/9/12. The PS has no weight on it. The sweetspot on the POG MP seemed much larger, off center hits were less punishing and I had more pop on my serves with less effort than with the PS. Sharp angles seemed easier to hit. The specs are so close on these. I am sure you've used both. Does this small amount of lead raise the sweetspot enough and increase power enought to explain the difference?

TripleB
01-03-2005, 05:27 AM
I would say that the lead tape can make that much of a difference with the POG mid.

Comparing the two racquets side by side without lead tape, I think that the 6.0 95 sweetspot is slightly larger, which for me is most noticeable at the net where I've always had problems with the POG mid.

As an experiment I added some lead tape at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions to one of my lighter POG mids and it made quite a large difference in the stability of the racquet {especially at net where I usually have my problems}. And I only added a total of 3 grams. You wouldn't think that just 3g would make a difference but it seemed to.

That being said, I would think that the 9 inches would make a huge difference in the size of the sweetspot, amount of stability, and power level.

I'm sure that with the increased weight (which should increase stability), the angle shots were easier to hit.

That seems to be what I'm finding with the RDX-500 racquets I'm currently trying. It may have something to do with the lighter weight (and being able to get the racquet in postition faster), but I think the fact that both racquets (mid and midplus) are more stable than my POG mid gives me better touch shots (as well as amazing angles) at the net. The stability factor and better touch/feel of the 500s is what's making me buy one of them to replace my POG mid.

But back to your original question...I believe that the lead tape can make that big of difference. I haven't used lead tape a lot in the past but I ordered some from TW and am experimenting with it on my POG mid and these Yonex racquets and it does seem to make a big difference in how a racquet plays.

TripleB

ferrari_827
01-03-2005, 09:20 AM
TripleB, put in a good multifilament string and you may find lead tape isn't necessary at all.

01-03-2005, 12:08 PM
how does the pog 93 compare to the 6.0 95?

andirez
01-03-2005, 12:26 PM
BBB, wanted to compare notes on the POG MP and PS 6.0 95. I've been using the PS for a while and on a good day I play pretty well(for me!) with it. Just had a chance to use a POG MP today and I really liked it. It was strung with ALU Power at 62lbs. CP(I strung it for a customer and he let me play a couple of sets with it). The POG MP had 3" of 1/2" lead tape at 3/9/12. The PS has no weight on it. The sweetspot on the POG MP seemed much larger, off center hits were less punishing and I had more pop on my serves with less effort than with the PS. Sharp angles seemed easier to hit. The specs are so close on these. I am sure you've used both. Does this small amount of lead raise the sweetspot enough and increase power enought to explain the difference?

I don't have experience with any of these frames, but what I can tell you is that lead taping can really make a significant difference, even when using very small amounts.

Given that I can still swing the frame as fast as before, lead tape increases both power and spin potential for me, as well as solidity on off-center shots. I would advise though if you start experimenting to start with very little and gradually add weight only if feel comfortable with the prior modification. If you add too much, you'll find that your timing is way off and you'll most likely end up in stripping your frame from all the lead you applied.

Gaines Hillix
01-03-2005, 12:51 PM
I would say that the lead tape can make that much of a difference with the POG mid.

TripleB

Thanks for the feedback. I was surprised that only a total of 3 grams of weight made that much difference. A single layer of 1/2" tape 3" long only weighs 1 gram. I also noticed the difference at net. The 6.0 95 has the edge in maneuverability since it's so head light. But, the weighted POG MP was very solid at net if my timing was right. I need to try the same amount of weight on the PS and see how it plays. Another thing I was amazed at was how comfortable the POG felt with Lux ALU strung at 62 lbs. on a CP machine.

TripleB
01-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Gaines,

It's funny...I've been using Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L for a while now (switched over from Kirschbaum). I recently put it as my mains (57 pounds) with a couple different strings as my crosses (Gosen JC, Prince Syn Gut, Lightning XX - each at 57 pounds) and thought the string felt nice and comfy. Now that I've been hitting with these RDX-500 demos with Wilson Sensation NXT in them my POG feels sort of harsh. Also noticed a vibration (with a noise to go along with it) with the POG mid now.

As far as the lead tape is concerned I'm using the Babolat which is 1g per 1 inch so I only had 1.5 inches at 3 and 1.5 inches at 9. Maybe it was just in my head but it did seem to help me at net.

TripleB