PDA

View Full Version : One String-- One Piece or Two Piece

DrewRafter8
03-22-2008, 06:26 PM
You're stringing a racquet for yourself, not someone else. You're using the same string for the mains and the crosses. Why would you do a one piece here and why would you do a two piece? I prefer a two for a few reasons and am curious to see what others do.

I two piece here because I like to string my mains a few pounds tighter to give the racquet more hitting space from 3 to 9. Yes, I know that it is not that much of a difference, but I "think" that it makes a difference. For me, this trumps all other benefits of a one piece with one string. I know that many people argue that tieing two knots will ultimatly cause you to lose a more uniform tension that most "think" they can acheive with a one piece. I just "think" I prefer a two piece.

What do you "think?"

(Yes, this is a subjective question and many will prefer one or the other based on what they have used in the past, that's just fine. Think of it as a poll question with an explanation required to vote)

YULitle
03-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I like one-piece because I believe it to be faster and having four knots make the racquet messy looking. All IMO, of course. :D

Behtareen
03-22-2008, 06:29 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
yeah i like one piece. much more convenient in terms of measuring.

DrewRafter8
03-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Yulitle, I was curious to read your opinion. But, can you "feel" a difference when you play? I've always "thought" I could...

Maybe it's the OCD kicking in again?

YULitle
03-22-2008, 06:34 PM
can you "feel" a difference when you play?

Oh! Goodness no! :D

This is OCD as well. But I'm not one to "feel" differences anyway. ;) My expertise is limited to stringing as it relates to physics/engineering/etc. I'm well aware that what makes sense physically isn't always what makes sense in the hands of a tennis player. ;) This may be one of them.

jim e
03-22-2008, 06:34 PM
I like doing 2 piece , especially on my own, as I use all nat gut strings, and with 2 piece you handle a lot less string at one time, and less of string to undo loops that can get kinks, and the end of the long side would be handled a lot more, so the gut on a 2 piece would get handled less as well.

iplaybetter
03-22-2008, 06:37 PM
i do one peice just caus

Tim W
03-22-2008, 06:41 PM
I do a 1-piece if I am keeping the tension the same. If I am doing different tensions, a 2-piece it is. I know you can change tensions on a 1-piece, but I rather have all the strings on the mains or the crosses the same tension.

gocard
03-22-2008, 06:44 PM
If my racquet pattern doesn't call for a two-piece, I prefer to string one-piece because it is simpler and faster for me.

themitchmann
03-22-2008, 07:37 PM
If using on type of string, I typically don't change tensions with mains/crosses. I usually go one piece, as it's a little faster (depending on the string), and I like only tying 2 finishing knots vs 3 finishing knots and 1 starting knot (or 4 finishing knots now that my starting clamp came in).

locotone07
03-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Genuine question, cuz I'm just starting: But, how is it faster if once you're done with the short side (mains) you have an extra 20' to pull (thru the mains) on the long side?

YULitle
03-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Genuine question, cuz I'm just starting: But, how is it faster if once you're done with the short side (mains) you have an extra 20' to pull (thru the mains) on the long side?

Well, before I start stringing, I pre-lace my long side. Makes that go easy. Also, I don't mean to pry, or butt in. But, it seems like you imply that you do the short side and THEN do the long side? Am I correct?

locotone07
03-22-2008, 08:36 PM
I see. Actually I've never strung a one-piece. I was taught two piece stringing and have always use that method, from your video(s) it looked as if you string the short side then the long, so I thought that was how it was done. Apparently that is incorrect, how then does one do a one-piece properly? Thanks again!

YULitle
03-22-2008, 08:42 PM
I see. Actually I've never strung a one-piece. I was taught two piece stringing and have always use that method, from your video(s) it looked as if you string the short side then the long, so I thought that was how it was done. Apparently that is incorrect, how then does one do a one-piece properly? Thanks again!

Well, it wasn't a comment based on it being a one-piece. This comment is about installing mains in general. I just wanted to be sure that it was clear that you shouldn't install one half of the mains before installing the other. You should alternate pulling mains so that you never have 2-3 more mains on one side than the other.

locotone07
03-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Right, gotcha...yes, I don't string one entire side first, I altenate sides.

YULitle
03-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Right, gotcha...yes, I don't string one entire side first, I altenate sides.

Oh k! :D I don't mean to be the mom, or anything. Just couldn't resist to ask. :oops:

TravelinMan
03-22-2008, 10:24 PM
I learned to string 2 piece as well and just feel comfortable doing all my racquets as a 2 piece. Even though the Prince Speedports normally call for a 1 piece, I do them as a 2 piece and "feel" that it gives me a tighter string bed. Now the "tricks" that I use are to up the tension on the 3 tie off strings by 2lbs and I double pull the first cross starting knot. Don't know if this is proper but it works for me. :)

Josherer
03-23-2008, 03:36 AM
I like two because i like different tensions on M/C

03-23-2008, 03:56 AM
I normally do 2 piece so i know that i wont finish my mains then realise i have to start all over again because my mains finish at the bottom. Is there an easy way to find out wheher you mains will end top or bottom?

Motherwasp
03-23-2008, 04:48 AM
I use a two-piece so that i can string hoop to throat. When doing other people's rackets i just do a 1 piece unless they ask for a hybrid or significantly different tensions.

themitchmann
03-23-2008, 05:00 AM

Also, you only have to tie 2 knots. The difference is minimal for an experienced stringer, but I still feel faster (even if it's only a minute or two).

03-23-2008, 05:18 AM
I use a two-piece so that i can string hoop to throat. When doing other people's rackets i just do a 1 piece unless they ask for a hybrid or significantly different tensions.

LOL does that mean, if they ask for 56-58 you will just do like 57 full piece?

Motherwasp
03-23-2008, 05:28 AM
I'd would still string it at 56-58 but in a one-piece. I know i'd lose some accuracy but im not stringing for wimbledon here :razz:

03-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Oh sorry i thought you were:):):)

Motherwasp
03-23-2008, 05:37 AM
Hehe, far from it....i havn't been stringing that long. I think i've done around 30 rackets now....mostly for intermediates and our Uni team.

I thought it was ok to string one-piece with different tensions for mains and crosses....lol, am i wrong? (But very few people i string for are specific in what they want....most of them dont know so i usually whack in full job at 58lbs).

TennezSport
03-23-2008, 05:52 AM
We string whatever is required here, but this year after a discussion on another board we have gone to 2 piece as our standard stringing pattern on all racquets; crosses always top to bottom. The only time we don't do 2 piece is when the racquet specifies or customer requests something else (1 piece, ATW, Prop Stringing[yuck], etc). Believe it maintains a high level of consistency this way (plus we string a lot of Yonex and Head racquets anyway).

TennezSport :cool:

Loco4Tennis
03-23-2008, 06:02 AM
i like the fact that 2 piece was invented :-)
gives me plenty of combinations to try
i have about 8 racquets i play or string, i have strung up 40+ times in less than a year, all of this trying new combinations and tensions, hybrid setups and i am still finding new combinations to try, its never ending fun for me
but now that their are so many strings, gauges, materials and colors, the combination possibilities is endless
i know too much stringing can mess up a racquet, and i do try to limit myself by stringing the 1 racquet once a month only, i also keep a log as to how many string jobs per racquet i have done, that way if their is degredation from stringing, it will be equal in all my racquets, or as close as possible
recenttly ive also been making side notes as to what i like or dont like about a string combination, sort of like a review, not very good notes though, maybe someone here has a better way to review string jobs/ combinations

ken_adey
03-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Given a choice, I prefer 2-piece because I think it's slightly faster...for 2 reasons: 1) I don't have to measure the short side, 2) I don't have to pull all that string on the long side.