PDA

View Full Version : How does a racquet help you hit "flat" or "spin"?

Zachol82
03-23-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't understand how a certain racquet would be "better for you if you like hitting flat" or how another racquet would be "better for you if you like hitting a lot of spin."

Isn't hitting flat or spin determined by how you hit the ball, not what kind of racquet you're using? I would understand it if it were strings, but racquets?

don_nguyen11490
03-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Choosing rackets can help you optimize. Its like racing a car. You can drive any way you want and do anything you want with a car, but certain cars perform certain jobs better. Trucks are better at hauling things. Sedans tend to be more fuel efficient than others, etc. You can use a sedan to haul things, and try to drive slowly to save fuel with a truck, but it wouldn't be as effective. The same logic applies to rackets.

Zachol82
03-23-2008, 09:34 PM
I see. However, which part of the racquet would either help you hit flat or spin?

<3Tennis
03-23-2008, 09:36 PM
I see. However, which part of the racquet would either help you hit flat or spin?

I would say string pattern.

don_nguyen11490
03-23-2008, 09:44 PM
String pattern. Denser string patterns (usually 18x20) tend to give more control (or consistency) while more open string patterns (16x19 or such) give you more spin. The idea is that a more open string pattern will cut into the ball more and thus spin in more, while denser patterns will be more consistent.

Also, flexibility can be a factor. Low stiffness ratings are more flexible, meaning the ball will "dwell" on the strings at impact a bit more, and in my experience produces more spin. High stiffness ratings are produce a uniform response across the string bed (or consistency).

Of course there are a lot of factors in spin production. Technique is the main factor in how the ball acts, but rackets and strings can help optimize what you want to do. Think of technique as the "main ingredient" and the rackets and strings as the seasoning that makes it taste better.

I apologize for my bad metaphors.

Zachol82
03-23-2008, 09:48 PM
No, I understand what you mean. Thanks for clearing it up!

don_nguyen11490
03-23-2008, 09:50 PM
No problem.