PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDS 002 (non tour)

dufferok
03-24-2008, 04:33 AM
I've been playing with the Yonex RDX 300 MP and was thinking about switching to the Yonex RDS 002 (non tour). I was wondering if anyone could post their likes/dislikes about the racket and compare it to any previous rackets you have used.

kungfusmkim
03-24-2008, 04:40 AM
Welcome To The Club My Friend Im Doing The Same!
EDIT
I like :
- Paint Job
- Aerobox Variframe(allows you to swing the racquet faster)
- Soft Grommet II (great durability and protection)
- OPS(more spin)
- Weight/Head balance
- Stiffness level
- Maneuverability
- Iso- metric head

I dis-like:
- The low Swing weight
- Beam Width
- The length is ok but i would relaly like a 27.25/27.5 version if possible

kungfusmkim
03-24-2008, 04:42 AM
Looking at the previous posts it seems that it gives alot of power for its weight. Honestly if there was a way to increase its swing weight with out making it head lighter or head heavier i would try. But i feel the low swing weight(308 )< apparently "8 and )" cant go side by side> really doubts its power on groundstrokes. Im getting mine in a few days or in a week.

dufferok
03-24-2008, 10:54 AM
I hit with the HEAD Ti.Radical for many years and loved the racket; however, I started experiencing wrist pain and switched to the Yonex RDX 300 for the added comfort/power. The wrist pain went away but my slices and net game suffered. Looking at the Yonex RDS 002, its specs are close to the old Ti.Radical, yet has a slightly wider frame. If the 002 hits like the Ti.Radical yet has all the comfort of the RDX 300, I'd buy one.

kungfusmkim
03-24-2008, 11:00 AM
have you demoed it yet?

dufferok
03-24-2008, 11:40 AM
No, TW doesn't have a demo version of the RDS 002 (non tour) for whatever reason. I'll probably end up demo'n one from my local shop but was looking for some feedback before making the 50 mile journey.

kungfusmkim
03-24-2008, 11:47 AM
i like the manuerbaility of the racquet its good for all around playing like in doubles when you play at net and at the baeline also. My N4 was too slow at the net...

hpark927
03-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Can anybody compare RDS 002 and LM Radical MP?

dufferok
03-26-2008, 07:11 AM
I was able to get my hands on a Yonex 002 demo. The racket feels and swings like the Head Liquid Metal Radical in hand. It has slightly less power than the Yonex RDX 300 but more power than the TI.Radical and Liquid Metal Radical...as expected.

Serves - I had to swing harder to generate the same power that my RDX 300 could. I felt I had more accuracy with the 002...could be simply because the length is 27". Excellent kick serve ability with this racket. Comparing the 002 to the LM Radical, service power and feel are very similar.

Forehand - The 002 has the perfect blend of control and power. With my normal swing, my forehand had added topspin and just dove down once clearing the net, causing my shots to land short of the service line. Meaning I had less depth when hitting my normal stroke. Concentrating on having the ball clear the net about 3-4 foot above it, produced nice deep shots with lots of top spin. I definitely had more control with the 002 than I had with the RDX 300, Ti.Radical and LM Radical. I also felt I had more access to power compared to the Ti.Radical and LM Radical. After adjusting my swing a bit, I loved the results.

Backhand - I hit with a one handed backhand and the 002 was a breeze to hit with. The 11.1 oz weight (when strung w/ over grip) made it very easy to swing up and through the ball with my one handed backhand. Felt like I could hit rally shots all day. I had access to power when needed and was very happy with the feel of racket. I could really "feel" how the racket was angled through the entire swing, something I had lost with the RDX 300.

Vollies - This is the most noticeable area of improvement when comparing this racket to the RDX 300, LM Radical and Ti.Radical. It literally felt like the ball would just sit on my racket and I could guide the volley where ever I wanted it. Just outstanding control and feel. The 002 is far easier to maneuver at net than the RDX 300. The LM Radical was good at net as well but after hitting with the 002, I'd pick the 002 hands down.

Slices - Slices were crisp and easy to generate. The slices didn't fly off my racket like they did with the RDX 300. Nothing noticeably different when compared to the LM Radical or Ti.Radical.

After hitting with the Yonex 002 (non tour), it was an easy decision to go ahead and purchase this racket. On a side note, I had strung the 002 with Tecnifibre Multifeel 16g @ 55.

dufferok
03-31-2008, 09:51 AM
For anyone interested, there is a thread that has been started in the "TW Questions/Comments" sub forum asking that TW makes a demo version of the Yonex RDS 002 (non tour) available.

azn_tomato
03-31-2008, 04:15 PM
TW HAS the nontour for demo. You have to call them though. I was wondering about it and i called and yes indeedy, they have it (unless the one i have right now is their only one, but it wiill be back by next Monday)

Anyways, i was highly, highly disappointed by the Yonex 002 non-tour. I play defensive baseliner and rely on being fast as hell to get the balls back, so i rely on sharp angles and good placement, as i'm not suited for power.
In any case, i found the sweetspot to be tiny and very unforgiving in comparison to any racquet i've played or any of the other racquets i demo'd. Oftentimes i hit slightly off ceneter because i'm running around to tough balls and this racquet was unacceptable. I also found it had a very, very annoying twang/vibration that i've heard complained about in the tour version as well.
Serve is actually pretty good, decent spin
Manueverable, although not that good for light weight. If you are looking for a similarish frame that is much better balanced and more manueverable, try the BB 11 Light
Lastly, although its a control oriented racquet, i found it didn't really have that great control benefit compared to any other racquets.

My experience seems to differ greatly with the previous posters...in any case, you CAN demo it. I really wanted to love the racquet but i found i couldn't. The balance felt similar to the racquet i decided i liked best, the Head Microgel Prestige Team, even though the Team is only 1pt headlight and heavier.

dufferok
04-17-2008, 12:20 PM
UPDATE: After hitting with the Yonex RDS 002 (non tour) for a few weeks now, I have found adding lead tape to the 3 & 9 o'clock positions of the frame a big benefit. Returning hard hit serves suffered when not hitting the sweet spot, adding the lead tape gave the racket more stability and increased the swing weight of the racket, helping produce more penetrating returns and deeper ground strokes.

I added a total of .5 ounces of lead tape, bringing the weight of the racket up to 11.5 ounces.