PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Suggestions for 4.5 rated serve and volley player.

pmerk34
03-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Hello,

I am looking for suggestions for a new racquet to suit my game because I do not want to go through the process again of play testing dozens of frames again. I am a 4.5 player who serves and volleys. When I am not serving I am always looking to chip and charge with my one handed backhand. I love doubles. I play tested dozens of frames last summer and at the time wasn't aware of racquet specs (HL vs. HH etc). As a result I chose I head heavy racquet the Wilson KFour which is good as the baseline and serves but is not maneuverable around the net. It also is too light (9.9 oz) and very stiff which has resulted in a mild case of tennis elbow for the first time ever.

I am not strong enough at the preset time to use a very heavy racquet such as the K90 but I do need something in the 11 oz range. Anyone with similar game with suggestions? How are the new KBlades? Thanks!!

Rasta
03-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Prince Ozone Tour MP

pmerk34
03-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Prince Ozone Tour MP
Thanks Rasta I will add it to my list. Do you use it? How does it play?

saram
03-24-2008, 07:34 AM
I have recently started hitting with my O3 Tour MS's and love them now for some reason. Great multi-purpose stick (singles/doubles). Just heavy enough to hang in there from the baseline with great control and maneuverability at the net. Great access to spin as well. Also pretty flexy--so nice and easy on the arm/joints.

Rasta
03-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Thanks Rasta I will add it to my list. Do you use it? How does it play?

I do use that racquet. It is flexible and easy to swing. I find it great for quick exchanges at net in doubles because of the modest swing weight. But, there is enough heft to go toe to toe with hard-hitters. I can easily produce topspin or slice, due in part to the open swing pattern.

Txhornsports
03-24-2008, 08:22 AM
I demoed the Yonex RQ is 2 racquet a month ago and I have never felt crisper volleys than any other racquet. A little to light for my all court game but with some lead tape it might be lethal for groundies, open string pattern makes it great for spin. Give it a try. :)

Doc Hollidae
03-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Speedport Tour with Port Inserts was my favorite for S & V out of the recent rackets that I demoed.

The Ozone Tour MP was nice, but was weak with net play. The low flex really made it tough to volley against pace. Wouldn't suggest it for netplay.

The Pure Drive is actually pretty nice for S & V. Give's a ton of pop off the serve and volleys are effortless. Just have to be able to handle the power.

The KBlades are nice, but very low powered. I thought there were better rackets available, but really liked the paint job.

AmericanTemplar
03-24-2008, 09:32 AM
I play S&V/C&C and I use the RDS 001 mid. I demoed a dozen frames before settling with this one about a year ago & I couldn't ask for anything more.

Racket-Junkie
03-24-2008, 10:06 AM
sp tour plays well at the net and us great for kick serves. I would try the bb11 mid, except it might be a tad heavier than you want but the serving and vollies with it are amazing (until you get to tired to swing it). The sp black is also a good s&v racket. All three of these are incredibly easy on the arm.

rocket
03-24-2008, 10:26 AM
I am not strong enough at the preset time to use a very heavy racquet such as the K90 but I do need something in the 11 oz range. Anyone with similar game with suggestions? How are the new KBlades? Thanks!!

The Wilson nPro Open, perfect weight for you & perfect for netplay. There's an ongoing thread about it.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-NPO.html

PeterFig
03-24-2008, 11:55 AM
I have basically the same game and similar level as you. I have used the K90 for the past year+ but did find it a tad heavy. I just switched to the Asian version of the K90 (11.3oz instead of 12oz) and for me it's a much nicer stick to play with. Great at net, great for serving, stable on groundies but light enough where you can whip through the ball or maneuver at net.

As mentioned above the Becker 11mid seems to be a good choice. I ordered one to try as well - it's already shipped and should be here tomorrow. I'm also playing tomorrow night so if it gets here in time I'll let you know how it was for Server & Volley tennis.

Hope this helps.

pmerk34
03-24-2008, 12:09 PM
I have basically the same game and similar level as you. I have used the K90 for the past year+ but did find it a tad heavy. I just switched to the Asian version of the K90 (11.3oz instead of 12oz) and for me it's a much nicer stick to play with. Great at net, great for serving, stable on groundies but light enough where you can whip through the ball or maneuver at net.

As mentioned above the Becker 11mid seems to be a good choice. I ordered one to try as well - it's already shipped and should be here tomorrow. I'm also playing tomorrow night so if it gets here in time I'll let you know how it was for Server & Volley tennis.

Hope this helps.
Yes let me know how it plays thanks!!

jasonchu
03-24-2008, 12:12 PM
try the fischer mcomp95

one of the best volley racquets I have tried.
not for te baseliner imho, but great serve and volley racket

nickb
03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
The Wilson nPro Open, perfect weight for you & perfect for netplay. There's an ongoing thread about it.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-NPO.html

Yep...I really like the NPro at net...its also great for serving...similar pace to the PD :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=187545

Nick

03-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Doc have you used the Npro Open?

If so can you do a quick comparison with SP Tour

Doc Hollidae
03-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Doc have you used the Npro Open?

If so can you do a quick comparison with SP Tour

Never played with one. When I was demoing the Pro Shop owner kept trying to get me to demo the KPro, but I wasn't interested.

From what I understand though, the Npro Open was supposed to be Wilson's competitor for the Pure Drive.

NLBwell
03-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Just a thought -- How about the Dunlop McEnroe Maxply? 11.3 ounces, pretty big head, pretty stiff for power, and McEnroe seems to be able to volley with it. Only $69.99.

TennisProdigy
03-24-2008, 06:59 PM
KBlade tour- sounds like your volley mechanics are solid, if so than this racquet will reward you with some punishing volleys. With its small headsize, thin beam, and headlight balance, maneuverability will not be an issue. Slices stay low, easy to place and with the closed string pattern, serves will be hit with pinpoint accuracy. KBlade tour has a very managable swingweight.

fuzz nation
03-24-2008, 07:09 PM
A good option could be the Dunlop AG 300 or the older M-Fil 300. Both are only 3 or 4 pts. headlight, but a little lead on the handle could easily modify that.

I'm an all court player with a lot of serve and volleying experience and I've recently played the Yonex RDS 002 Tour. Although it lists at a little over 12 oz., it handles quite easily and if it's something that you couldn't use right now, you may want to look it over in the future. I had a lot of fun with that frame at the net, especially playing doubles.

thejuice
03-24-2008, 07:10 PM
^^^^

Another vote for the K Blade Tour. I'm an all courter that does a lot of S&V and I love this stick at the net. You can hit stiff volleys as well as touch volleys but this is a string sensitive stick so you may have to experiment a little.

pmerk34
03-24-2008, 08:00 PM
thejuice and TennisProdigy: so far I have four demos lined up: K blade Tour, KBlade 98, KPRO Tour, KPro Open.

The K Blade Tour felt like a knife in my hands at the store I can't wait see what kind of damage I can do with it. IF none of these Wilson cick with me I will definitely try out some of the other suggestions here( Prince, Yonex, Dunlop).

tzinc
03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
try the new babolat pure storm limited

Anton
03-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Hello,

I am looking for suggestions for a new racquet to suit my game because I do not want to go through the process again of play testing dozens of frames again. I am a 4.5 player who serves and volleys. When I am not serving I am always looking to chip and charge with my one handed backhand. I love doubles. I play tested dozens of frames last summer and at the time wasn't aware of racquet specs (HL vs. HH etc). As a result I chose I head heavy racquet the Wilson KFour which is good as the baseline and serves but is not maneuverable around the net. It also is too light (9.9 oz) and very stiff which has resulted in a mild case of tennis elbow for the first time ever.

Redondo Mid for you!

If you want something lighter...meh never mind you don't want anything lighter if you really are 4.5 S&V player

1337Kira
03-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I have to say either the O3 Speedport Black or the Wilson nPro Open (as others have suggested).
I love 'em both for dubs.

pmerk34
03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Just a thought -- How about the Dunlop McEnroe Maxply? 11.3 ounces, pretty big head, pretty stiff for power, and McEnroe seems to be able to volley with it. Only $69.99.
Johnny Mac could volley with a fly swatter.......

69.99 tempting...

thejuice
04-05-2008, 07:57 PM
thejuice and TennisProdigy: so far I have four demos lined up: K blade Tour, KBlade 98, KPRO Tour, KPro Open.

The K Blade Tour felt like a knife in my hands at the store I can't wait see what kind of damage I can do with it. IF none of these Wilson cick with me I will definitely try out some of the other suggestions here( Prince, Yonex, Dunlop).

Let us know how the demo session works out. The K Pro Tour is another stick that I like for S&V.

Blakefan17
04-05-2008, 08:01 PM
have you tried the RDS 002 or the 001 MP, they are both very manuverable and in your weight range

Anton
04-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Johnny Mac could volley with a fly swatter.......

69.99 tempting...

Don't do it - that frame is absolute junk IMO

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Yep...I really like the NPro at net...its also great for serving...similar pace to the PD :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=187545

Nick

Nick, does this mean you want out of the Fischer Faction?

I know you'll come crawling back eventually! :twisted:

J011yroger
04-13-2008, 05:05 PM
I know you'll come crawling back eventually! :twisted:

And then away again, and then back again, and then away again, and then back again, ad infinitum.

J

ClubHoUno
04-13-2008, 05:06 PM
I can't believe no one has suggested the Head Microgel Prestige Pro 16 X 19 or the Head Microgel Prestige Midplus 18 X 20.
Both have 98 SQ" frames, but actually are the size of a 95 SQ" frame. They are not too heavy, neither too light in my view. They are great from both the baseline and for volleys.

You should also look at the Wilson K Factor K-6.1 95, great all court racket, but maybe a tad too heavy for you.

I'm an all court type of player, who often rushes the net and these rackets really suit my game just fine :)

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 05:09 PM
And then away again, and then back again, and then away again, and then back again, ad infinitum.

J

So Nick is a "grass is always greener" kind of guy?

There's probably a little devil on his shoulder, "You don't really like those Fischers, a Wilson is just the ticket".

J011yroger
04-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Nick is a unique dude, good to have someone like him, to contrast someone like me who is the exact opposite.

Even better that we get along well.

J

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 05:20 PM
So I take it that you've probably been using the same thing since the dawn of time, JO11yroger?

J011yroger
04-13-2008, 05:21 PM
So I take it that you've probably been using the same thing since the down of time, JO11yroger?

I used the N90 for 2 1/2 years, until I wore them out, then switched to the K90 on 1/1/08 and plan to buy enough to last me 2 more years.

J

crawl4
04-13-2008, 05:59 PM
check out kblade tour, i bought it about 1 1/2 weeks ago and have hit with it for a bit and love it. Firstly its fantastic on serves and solid in volleying, also to note i found it to have plenty of power from the baseline. It does take time to time everything and i haven't mastered it by any means but what you put into it you get out of it.

Cornel
04-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Hello,
....I am a 4.5 player who serves and volleys. When I am not serving I am always looking to chip and charge with my one handed backhand. I love doubles......

...I am not strong enough at the preset time to use a very heavy racquet such as the K90 but I do need something in the 11 oz range. Anyone with similar game with suggestions? How are the new KBlades? Thanks!!

I have a very similar style of play and very similar issues with heavier racquets, I'm not strong enough to swing them for extended periods of time. I ordered two M-Fil 200 Plus from TW (12oz, 310SW, 5pHL) and couldn't be happier... I think it's a very underrated racquet...

C.

vwfye
04-13-2008, 06:17 PM
find a pair of prince monos and love your doubles game!

KFwinds
04-13-2008, 06:28 PM
If you are a true 4.5 serve and volleyer, the Wilson ProStaffs should be the only racquets that exist in your world. Pick your favorite and storm the gates. I would start with the 6.1 series; if you are used to mids, go with one of the Tour 90's or if you need or want more power get one of the 95's. There is a racquet in this line for you, my friend.

Anton
04-13-2008, 07:24 PM
If you are a true 4.5 serve and volleyer, the Wilson ProStaffs should be the only racquets that exist in your world. Pick your favorite and storm the gates. I would start with the 6.1 series; if you are used to mids, go with one of the Tour 90's or if you need or want more power get one of the 95's. There is a racquet in this line for you, my friend.

what non-sense - wilson certainly doesn't have monopoly on S&V

Gee
04-14-2008, 03:07 AM
Hello,

Try Head Microgel Prestige MP. I know it is 11+ oz frame but don't scare off from this. It is a very versatile, maneuverable and solid frame. You can't go wrong with it.

I switched from Head FXP Radical Tour to Head MG Prestige MP because my serve and volley game is a lot better with this one.

pmerk34
04-14-2008, 05:13 AM
Try Head Microgel Prestige MP. I know it is 11+ oz frame but don't scare off from this. It is a very versatile, maneuverable and solid frame. You can't go wrong with it.

I switched from Head FXP Radical Tour to Head MG Prestige MP because my serve and volley game is a lot better with this one.
I am currently playtesting the MG Prestige MP Pro and love it so far. I can bomb serves, it has enough power for me, spin is easy to acheive and I like the solid feel at net and the baseline. I am leaning towards it. I want to test the MP as you suggested before I pull the trigger.

I also tested both new Wilson K Pro's - too stiff for my liking and not enough feedback. Good frames for topspin heavy baseline bashers though.

Kblade 98 - I liked it but feels a bit unstable when vollying heavy shots, I could play with it though, my favorite out of the four new wilson's I tested.

Kblade Tour - precise control and very flexible with good feel, but I am unused to a 93 sq inch head and caught a lot of frame on returns. It feels great when you strike a ball perfectly but the stick proved a bit too demanding for me as I had to supply all the power with this one if get tired and your technique suffers this one let's you know fast.

BTW I am downgrading myself to 4.0 these days. I guess I am not a "true" 4.5 serve & volleyer as I am trying to work myself back into shape after years off and the demands of playing serve and volley 100% of the time takes it;s toll. Put me down as a 4.34547 all courter who looks to attack the net when possible.

tigg2109
04-14-2008, 09:56 AM
TF tflash 290

tigg2109
04-14-2008, 09:59 AM
TF tflash 290

edit: tflash 310, my b

J011yroger
04-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I am currently playtesting the MG Prestige MP Pro and love it so far. I can bomb serves, it has enough power for me, spin is easy to acheive and I like the solid feel at net and the baseline. I am leaning towards it. I want to test the MP as you suggested before I pull the trigger.

I also tested both new Wilson K Pro's - too stiff for my liking and not enough feedback. Good frames for topspin heavy baseline bashers though.

Kblade 98 - I liked it but feels a bit unstable when vollying heavy shots, I could play with it though, my favorite out of the four new wilson's I tested.

Kblade Tour - precise control and very flexible with good feel, but I am unused to a 93 sq inch head and caught a lot of frame on returns. It feels great when you strike a ball perfectly but the stick proved a bit too demanding for me as I had to supply all the power with this one if get tired and your technique suffers this one let's you know fast.

BTW I am downgrading myself to 4.0 these days. I guess I am not a "true" 4.5 serve & volleyer as I am trying to work myself back into shape after years off and the demands of playing serve and volley 100% of the time takes it;s toll. Put me down as a 4.34547 all courter who looks to attack the net when possible.

How are your various injuries?

When are we hitting?

Let me know when you get it narrowed down to your last few potential frames.

J

pmerk34
04-21-2008, 07:26 PM
How are your various injuries?

When are we hitting?

Let me know when you get it narrowed down to your last few potential frames.

J
Hi J,

I went with the Head MG Prestige Pro as my main weapon and the MP as as doubles stick. I will be at wolf hill on 4/22 about 5:30 with my bro. If you guys are down there hopefully we can get something together.

J011yroger
04-22-2008, 02:44 AM
Hi J,

I went with the Head MG Prestige Pro as my main weapon and the MP as as doubles stick. I will be at wolf hill on 4/22 about 5:30 with my bro. If you guys are down there hopefully we can get something together.

Can't make it today, probably will be down tomorrow.

J

VikingSamurai
04-22-2008, 02:50 AM
^^^ Ha ha ha funny.....

J011yroger
04-22-2008, 02:56 AM
???

J