PDA

View Full Version : Serving problems with RDS 001 mid

TonyB
03-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Well, I *thought* I had my serving problems solved with the RDS 001 mid, but I just can't seem to get any kind of consistency at all. FYI, I'm a 4.5 level player.

Problem is that I have an extremely hard time producing enough spin to keep the ball in the court with anything but poly strings. Kick serves are very difficult to get going unless you really put 100% effort into every serve. Anything less just doesn't cut it and the serves tend to sail long. I'm quite short (5'6" tall), so I really rely heavily on my kick serves to get me through my service games. But since I typically use a nat. gut/poly hybrid, the spin just isn't there (compared to the power). At first, yeah, the stringbed is adequate, but as it breaks in, I lose that spin potential quickly.

I play a lot of doubles and really like the feel, touch, and power of a natural gut/poly hybrid, but I am struggling very much on serves. But with poly, I can blast some real bombs almost without even trying. The issue is that I lose all feel, touch, and power with the poly strings.

Anyone else have any problem serving with this racquet and if so, what are you doing to change things?

azn_tomato
03-24-2008, 01:47 PM
From what i've heard the 001 generally helps people's serves? Maybe you have some form issues?

jamauss
03-24-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm with azn_tomato - Once I started playing with the 001 my serve got better.

I'm about the same rating as you, few inches taller maybe. I play with Pro Hurricane 16g in the mains and Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro in the crosses @ 60 lbs for both.

I hit a kicker on my 2nd serve with pretty good spin/kick thanks to using a continental grip.

Maybe it has something to do with your toss and/or grip??

TonyB
03-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Well, like I said, if I use poly, I get tons of spin. I can just wail away and the ball drops in virtually every time. But with my natural gut hybrid, I get a similar response for about the first 2 hours, then it goes away.

I may try to switch to poly mains and some synthetic cross to see if I can get a better balance.

Best serving stick I've ever used has got to be the Slaz X1. Second place goes to the PS 95. But the RDS 001 is way down on the list. Might even be my least favorite so far.

TonyB
03-25-2008, 02:55 AM
Nobody else using this racquet that can comment?

0d1n
03-25-2008, 04:14 AM
Not sure if my memory serves me right, but I'm pretty sure you were using a Fischer Pro 1 (MSpeed) a while ago and problems with serving was the reason for changing to the RDS ???!
If I'm talking out of my arse ... you will forgive me ... it's hard to keep up with everybody's options, likes, dislikes ...etc :P

pmerk34
03-25-2008, 04:48 AM
Well, I *thought* I had my serving problems solved with the RDS 001 mid, but I just can't seem to get any kind of consistency at all. FYI, I'm a 4.5 level player.

Problem is that I have an extremely hard time producing enough spin to keep the ball in the court with anything but poly strings. Kick serves are very difficult to get going unless you really put 100% effort into every serve. Anything less just doesn't cut it and the serves tend to sail long. I'm quite short (5'6" tall), so I really rely heavily on my kick serves to get me through my service games. But since I typically use a nat. gut/poly hybrid, the spin just isn't there (compared to the power). At first, yeah, the stringbed is adequate, but as it breaks in, I lose that spin potential quickly.

I play a lot of doubles and really like the feel, touch, and power of a natural gut/poly hybrid, but I am struggling very much on serves. But with poly, I can blast some real bombs almost without even trying. The issue is that I lose all feel, touch, and power with the poly strings.

Anyone else have any problem serving with this racquet and if so, what are you doing to change things?
So why stay with it? If you otherwise love it perhaps use it for return games during matches and utilize a different frame more suited to you on your service games.

Bubba
03-25-2008, 05:01 AM
Nobody else using this racquet that can comment?

Actually, I've found the same with the 001 mid. I hit a flatter 1st serve and typically have no issues, but my second serves (kick) will go long quite often with the 001. However, it's not the frame in and of itself... but rather a combination of the frame and my grip. I've found that I need to use a "less-flat" grip position with the 001 in order to carry the spin to the service box... it's been a bit odd.

I'm a K90 and 001 mid player but also bring out my Babolat Pure Controls and PDR's from time to time. Very different feels, but must say that the K90 is the best control oriented serving frame, while the PDR is hands down the best all purpose cannon.

nickarnold2000
03-25-2008, 07:23 AM
Well, like I said, if I use poly, I get tons of spin. I can just wail away and the ball drops in virtually every time. But with my natural gut hybrid, I get a similar response for about the first 2 hours, then it goes away.

I may try to switch to poly mains and some synthetic cross to see if I can get a better balance.

Best serving stick I've ever used has got to be the Slaz X1. Second place goes to the PS 95. But the RDS 001 is way down on the list. Might even be my least favorite so far.
Absolutely switch to poly mains! The mains influence the ball spin the most.

nickarnold2000
03-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Actually, I've found the same with the 001 mid. I hit a flatter 1st serve and typically have no issues, but my second serves (kick) will go long quite often with the 001. However, it's not the frame in and of itself... but rather a combination of the frame and my grip. I've found that I need to use a "less-flat" grip position with the 001 in order to carry the spin to the service box... it's been a bit odd.

I'm a K90 and 001 mid player but also bring out my Babolat Pure Controls and PDR's from time to time. Very different feels, but must say that the K90 is the best control oriented serving frame, while the PDR is hands down the best all purpose cannon.
Hey, so how long does it take you to get used to the PDR after first using the k90?

nickb
03-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Get a pure drive.....:)

Noisy Ninja
03-25-2008, 07:40 AM

Sounds to me like a string setup issue.
I've had similar control problems using a natural gut/poly setup on my K90's in the past; works amazingly well for first hour or two...but as the poly string in the cross inenvitably loses tension faster than the natural gut mains...you're left with a wide disparity in tension range between main & cross...resulting in noticeable loss of control.
Took a couple trial runs with the champion's choice setup before I realized it's not viable if you plan on using the setup for more than 2 hours.

quest01
03-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Get a pure drive.....:)

Yes when it comes to serving the Pure Drive and the APDC are both good rackets for serving. Actually the APDC+ and PDR+ are both better for serving because it offers added reach and consistency.

Also I agree using poly in the mains will greatly add spin and kick on serves.

Toph
03-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Do you have this same problem hitting indoors? I ask this because indoor courts have a tendency to show more spin, and this can help you figure out whether or not it is the racket. For instance, my kick serve indoors works as it's supposed to, while the same serve outdoors has no "kick", leading me to believe that a lot more variables (such as wind resistance, etc.) are put into my kick not being effective outdoors compared to indoors.

AmericanTemplar
03-25-2008, 08:09 AM
The only time that I've ever blamed my RDS 001 for poor serving is when I had a leather grip, since the additional weight made it more difficult to maintain a loose arm. I use full Big Ace and I get more than enough spin on my kickers--in fact I find that people have more difficulty returning my second serve (kicker) than my first serve (flat).

TonyB
03-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Not sure if my memory serves me right, but I'm pretty sure you were using a Fischer Pro 1 (MSpeed) a while ago and problems with serving was the reason for changing to the RDS ???!
If I'm talking out of my arse ... you will forgive me ... it's hard to keep up with everybody's options, likes, dislikes ...etc :P

Nope, you're right. Good memory.

I switched because I did not like the feel of the backhand with the M-Speed and it was a little on the light weight side for my tastes.

I get a much better overall response from the RDS 001 mid. It feels better to me, it's a little heavier, and it feels more solid. I don't get pushed around at all, even when returning 120+ MPH serves.

My favorite serving stick was the Slaz X1, but it was too stiff and muted for my liking. Off-center hits were murder. So yes, there are better serving racquets out there, but I'm trying to make a go of it with the RDS 001 because it works so well in other areas for me.

TonyB
03-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Do you have this same problem hitting indoors? I ask this because indoor courts have a tendency to show more spin, and this can help you figure out whether or not it is the racket. For instance, my kick serve indoors works as it's supposed to, while the same serve outdoors has no "kick", leading me to believe that a lot more variables (such as wind resistance, etc.) are put into my kick not being effective outdoors compared to indoors.

Yes, I'm playing exclusively indoors now (the winter in Buffalo sucks).

Toph
03-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Yes, I'm playing exclusively indoors now (the winter in Buffalo sucks).

When playing indoors I find no problem finding consistency and spin with my RDS mid strung with full multi. :???: