PDA

View Full Version : Wilson KSurge Racquet for Beginner?

PeterFig
03-24-2008, 02:08 PM
I've gotten my lovely wife to start playing some tennis. She's basically a beginner although she did play a little when she was much younger - but only a little. I'd like to get her a racquet that is light enough for her (she's quite small built) but something of decent quality and not the size of a Weed :).
I've read some good reviews of the KSurge and wanted to know if anyone had any comments about it - would it be a good fit for her? She's going to be taking a series of lessons from a pro and playing hopefully quite a bit so I want to make sure it can grow with her well as she improves.

(The KSurge is 10.3oz, SW of 301 and 100sq in according to TW)

Thanks in advance.

tarkowski
03-24-2008, 07:54 PM
I've gotten my lovely wife to start playing some tennis. She's basically a beginner although she did play a little when she was much younger - but only a little. I'd like to get her a racquet that is light enough for her (she's quite small built) but something of decent quality and not the size of a Weed :).
I've read some good reviews of the KSurge and wanted to know if anyone had any comments about it - would it be a good fit for her? She's going to be taking a series of lessons from a pro and playing hopefully quite a bit so I want to make sure it can grow with her well as she improves.

(The KSurge is 10.3oz, SW of 301 and 100sq in according to TW)

Thanks in advance.

Hey PeterFig,

Good to hear she is interested in playing. I really enjoy playing with my wife and went through a similar process in finding her some sticks.

Having played with many of the new KFactors, it's my opinion that even though the KSurge is light and maneuverable, it still requires a pretty aggressive swing to keep the ball deep. Also, because it's swingweight is so low, not having enough speed behind the swing can be felt by the arm. Beginners usually don't have full or fast swings - so this can be problematic. So I'd actually place the KSurge as more intermediate-level stick for players that like to swing aggressively from the baseline.

A better option for a beginner would probably be the KZen. It has a healthier swingweight and provides a little more pop for a beginner. Slower swings don't 'hurt' as much and it's still at a manageable weight that a player can grow into. I feel the same about the nTour (nTour 2 and KTour) - with the comment that it's a little more advanced than the KZen.

Take care!

PeterFig
03-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Hey PeterFig,

Good to hear she is interested in playing. I really enjoy playing with my wife and went through a similar process in finding her some sticks.

Having played with many of the new KFactors, it's my opinion that even though the KSurge is light and maneuverable, it still requires a pretty aggressive swing to keep the ball deep. Also, because it's swingweight is so low, not having enough speed behind the swing can be felt by the arm. Beginners usually don't have full or fast swings - so this can be problematic. So I'd actually place the KSurge as more intermediate-level stick for players that like to swing aggressively from the baseline.

A better option for a beginner would probably be the KZen. It has a healthier swingweight and provides a little more pop for a beginner. Slower swings don't 'hurt' as much and it's still at a manageable weight that a player can grow into. I feel the same about the nTour (nTour 2 and KTour) - with the comment that it's a little more advanced than the KZen.

Take care!

Thank you! That's some great, well thought out advice!
I'll look into the KZen and the other two racquets you suggested!

EDIT: I just noticed there is a 'regular' and a 'Team' version of the KZen. I'm assuming you were referring to the 'regular' version. Am I right?

tarkowski
03-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Thank you! That's some great, well thought out advice!
I'll look into the KZen and the other two racquets you suggested!

EDIT: I just noticed there is a 'regular' and a 'Team' version of the KZen. I'm assuming you were referring to the 'regular' version. Am I right?

No Problem Peter!

Yes - I'm referring to the regular, 11.1oz version.