PDA

View Full Version : wilson to babolat/yonex?

lawrence
03-25-2008, 03:56 AM
im a wilson player, i own a ps85 and n6.1team, ive only really played with wilsons

im thinking of demoing a babolat/yonex, i was interested in the RQiS tour but i read on the reviews that the power level is insanely low
the babolats are appealing to me because of the pop and spin potential on those big headsizes.. but i have no idea where to start, any guidance?

Automatix
03-25-2008, 04:19 AM
What is your current racquet and what are you looking for?

zidane339
03-25-2008, 04:20 AM
pure drive is a good start..the roddick versions have lots of pop esp for advanced players.very good on serves..aeropro drives are more focused on groundstrokes.. so take your pick..good luck..

Automatix
03-25-2008, 04:23 AM
I disagree... PD and APD is a big change for someone playing a PS85... it's like you'd recommend an oversize cannon to a guy playing a typical tweener.

lawrence
03-25-2008, 06:13 AM
well i was playing with the PS85 originally, now im playing with a leaded up n95team

im hearing good things about the pure storm tour. how do the pure storm tour, pure drive roddick, and aeropro drives compare?

id say i play a baseliner game, 1hbh/2hbh (switch it up from time to time) topspin player

fuzz nation
03-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Always a little tricky coming up with appropriate options and your customized Wilson makes your present situation a little more mysterious. If you don't know the weight of your racquet as it is now with the lead on it, it should help to weigh it and figure out its balance. When you shop around on the TW site for example, you'll be able to compare your frame with the specs on some other racquets.

I've tried a newer Yonex and I think that they make a good product - the grip shape isn't too different from the typical Wilson and they offer a good range of models. That RQ iS 1 Tour looks to be the least powerful frame in their entire line right now due to its flex, but the RDS group may have something more along the lines of what you want. I highly recommend that you check out the TW demo program if you haven't already and try to get a test drive with one or two sticks from Babolat or Yonex that look interesting.

You should find a lot of pop and baseline potential in the Pure Drives or AeroPro Drives from Babolat or the RDS 001 mp, 002 Tour (it's not terribly heavy), and 003 from Yonex. If those are too stiff and lively for you, the RQ iS 1 Tour and Pure Storm Tour may be useful alternatives.

slice bh compliment
03-25-2008, 06:51 AM
The Pure Storm Limited 95 looks geared toward Pro Staff users, and Dunlop 200 users, and Volkl 10 people, and Prestige people.

95 head, 19 mm constant beam, 18 mains. Woofer system. No cortex.
Supposed to be shipping in April.

TennezSport
03-25-2008, 07:16 AM
I have play tested all three of the models mentioned here (Yonex[my fav], Babolat, Wilson). I originally came from Wilson frames and found the Yonex to feel most like the Wilson, but with a larger COP (sweetspot). However, I also tried the Babolat Pure Storm Tour(PST), PD and AD racquets. The PD and AD were way too powerful for me and I do not like to string too tight, so they were out. I really did like the PST because it had great feel, balance and controlable power much like my current Yonex.

Best thing to do though is to test drive yourself, then you will know what you really like. Good luck.

TennezSport :cool:

basil J
03-25-2008, 07:29 AM
I went from 200g to wilson 6.1 18 x 20 to a redondo back to the 200G and just recently re-discovered the the RDS002 tour.The tour is a substancial frame that has a generous sweet spot and when strung with VS gut, is a very comfortable frame. I rotate between my 200G MW and 002 tour without issue. The tour is less demanding than the Dunlop, the dunlop has a unique feel that I really enjoy. Try the 002 tour. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Automatix
03-25-2008, 11:49 AM
The best way is the demo way...

From Babolat I can only suggest the PST or PST+ all other frames are too powerful and haven't got the control for someone going from PS85...

From Yonex you can demo the RDS 001 Mid and Miplus and the RDS 002 Tour...

BallBeemer
03-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Well Babolats' stiffness are known to cause tennis elbow.

eric892
03-25-2008, 08:22 PM

You could put a good dampener to your Babolat raquet to solve this. Plus there is the cortex system.

SFrazeur
03-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Dampeners can do nothing for the stiffness. The only thing dampener can do is lessen vibrations. Bad stroke production, harmful technique, is the originating cause for a fair share of the cases involving a stiff racquet. However, for some people high stiffness just causes pain.

-SF

zidane339
03-25-2008, 09:39 PM

I vouch for that.

tzinc
03-25-2008, 11:40 PM
That whole Babolat stiffness causes tennis elbow thing is a myth way more people got tennis elbow from using NON-Babolat racquets.

quicken
03-25-2008, 11:46 PM
That whole Babolat stiffness causes tennis elbow thing is a myth way more people got tennis elbow from using NON-Babolat racquets.

Have to agree.

crawl4
03-26-2008, 01:47 AM

good examples :razz:

Automatix
03-26-2008, 01:49 AM

It's not a myth... PD is a very popular frame which seems for many low level players easy to handle if you add to this bad stroke technique and the PD's stiffness you'll have a tennis elbow combo unmatched.

Of course saying that a PD is a reason for someone's tennis elbow will be in most cases incorrect... it's sad but too many people blame the frame and not their bad technique.

vndesu
03-26-2008, 02:12 AM
It's not a myth... PD is a very popular frame which seems for many low level players easy to handle if you add to this bad stroke technique and the PD's stiffness you'll have a tennis elbow combo unmatched.

Of course saying that a PD is a reason for someone's tennis elbow will be in most cases incorrect... it's sad but too many people blame the frame and not their bad technique.

i strongly agree with this
i have used a pd through out my freshmen and sophmore year and no pain.
if you feel pain you must be doing something wrong.
dont just blame the racket bc of the stiffness.

if i were you if you like wilson go for the kblade if possible. i ve read many reviews and it sounds good.
if you want a w/e racket in my opinion the fxp prestige mid is solid.
just go out and demo more. and tell me after you switch so i can get your ps 85 haha xD