PDA

View Full Version : ??? Pure Storm Tour Specs ???

Bubba
03-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Can anyone out there that is using the PST compare it to the Pure Control for me... In looking at the specs from Babolat, they should be about the same. However, TW carries the PST at a lower RA Stiffness level (63) vs. 68 as Babolat has it.

So, those of you who have and have played both... do they play and feel the same?

(BTW - I know TW uses 'averages' of frame specs that they determine from their measurements, but I can't believe the frame stiffness would be that far off. If it was Wilson, I could believe it... but not Babolat)

Thanks

Ace
03-25-2008, 06:49 AM
I was wondering about this too.
Based on the specs, the frames should be the same, but everyone is saying its more flexible and has less power.

Bubba
03-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Come on... all you babolat alliance folks - surely some of you can weigh in here.

nickb
03-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Its not a mistake...they are more flexible. Thats what they were designed to be..a lower powered pure control with more feel.

Nick

Bottle Rocket
03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Come on... all you babolat alliance folks - surely some of you can weigh in here.

When I take the time to write a fairly detailed post, I usually do so with the hope that it will be be found later on by people doing a "search". This is one of those cases.

Please do a search... Searching for Pure Control or Pure Storm and my username will come up with a whole bunch of posts.

PED
03-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Bottle Rocket: did you end up ditching the PST? and if so, what are you using now?

thx

Bubba
03-25-2008, 09:53 AM
When I take the time to write a fairly detailed post, I usually do so with the hope that it will be be found later on by people doing a "search". This is one of those cases.

Please do a search... Searching for Pure Control or Pure Storm and my username will come up with a whole bunch of posts.

BR - Thanks, and yes - I do searches prior to posts like these. If you have a gem in the rough of all the worthless posts it takes months to wade through then great... I'll look it up.

hyogen
03-25-2008, 10:07 AM
the racquet specs on the racquet itself (the paper where it has the graphics and the specs where the strings go)....says a stiffness of 68.

TW says 63ra strung. I think this is about right.. it's not too stiff, but still has good pop.

With poly i think it's JUST a little too stiff for my arm

Ace
03-25-2008, 10:55 AM
I just picked one up to demo tonight. I have been using the PC Std for years now. I have two, and my second one has a "buzz" in it that makes me think it has a crack somewhere.
So I'm either looking to pick up another PC Std, or try out this new one and see how I like it.
I'll let you know what I think.

Bottle Rocket
03-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Bottle Rocket: did you end up ditching the PST? and if so, what are you using now?

thx

Check out this thread for my current views on the Pure Storm Tour... Yeah, I ditched it.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=186245&highlight=

I use a Wilson kSix-One 95 "X" and have been for quite a while now. I've hit with a bunch of rackets since switching, including a Pure Storm Tour, which I still own, but I always want to go back. Besides enjoying playing with it more than any other stick, my results are the best. I can't see myself switching to anything else for quite a while.

Bottle Rocket
03-25-2008, 12:39 PM
BR - Thanks, and yes - I do searches prior to posts like these. If you have a gem in the rough of all the worthless posts it takes months to wade through then great... I'll look it up.

Here is a review I wrote shortly after I got my PST. I had been using Pure Control's for quite a while.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=153616&highlight=

The thread I posted above this one shows my current thoughts.

hyogen
03-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Here is a review I wrote shortly after I got my PST. I had been using Pure Control's for quite a while.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=153616&highlight=

The thread I posted above this one shows my current thoughts.

so you're saying that you switched BACK to the PST? i see... what do you think about the dead spot in the upper hoop? I think it sorta makes sense to me now... sometimes i hit a backhand and i'm like... huh?! and if i recall correctly the stringbed felt dead with no pop. might be b/c i'm hitting the ball too early and catching the upper part of the sweet spot.

Ace
03-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I have played with the Pure Control Team Standard (currently stringing 57lbs with X-One Biphase) for about 3 years now. I really like it. I am a 4.0 female who hits with decent pace and spin, and I usually hit with 3.5/4.0 men, and I'm agressive, not a moonballer or anything (not that theres anything wrong with that, just describing myself to put you in a frame of reference for who's doing the demo-ing).

So, I got the Pure Storm Tour to demo and tried it tonight. No, they do not play and feel the same. It had much less "pop" on it than my PC, I noticed that right away. I thought the handle felt way heavier than my PC too, and after a while it got uncomfortable to play with. I thought the balance was supposed to be the same, but it really didn't feel like that to me. In fact, I once experimented with my PC by putting lead fishing weights in the handle, and thats what the PST weight/balance felt like to me, a PC with added weight in the handle, with less trampoline-y feel off the stringbed....maybe I'm nuts, because I thought others have said the balance was the same, but it didn't feel that way.

Maybe the "less pop" could be due to the different string/string tension combination I typically use, but I know I prefer my regular PC.

I can see how a more advanced or stronger player might like this racquet, but its not the racquet for me, and I'm going back and picking up the remaining Pure Control at the shop to replace my one that I think is cracked.

soggyramen
03-25-2008, 07:47 PM
i abandoned the PST recently and my set up with the o3 white is really working great for me. i didn't like the non-existant sweet spot...that was my huge problem. it's pretty flexy though

vkartikv
03-25-2008, 11:30 PM
When a racquet is strung, it's flex rating goes down by a couple of points. A strung flex of about 63-65 sounds right.

LPShanet
03-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Can anyone out there that is using the PST compare it to the Pure Control for me... In looking at the specs from Babolat, they should be about the same. However, TW carries the PST at a lower RA Stiffness level (63) vs. 68 as Babolat has it.

So, those of you who have and have played both... do they play and feel the same?

(BTW - I know TW uses 'averages' of frame specs that they determine from their measurements, but I can't believe the frame stiffness would be that far off. If it was Wilson, I could believe it... but not Babolat)

Thanks

OK, here's the full story. When Babolat first introduced the Pure Storm Tour, their intention was to have it be exactly like the Pure Control, which it was replacing in the line. The only differences were supposed to be that: 1. it would incorporate the Carbon Extreme material at strategic points on the hoop to improve stability and feel, and 2. that it would have new cosmetics, which would tie it into the Storm line for myriad marketing reasons. Because they thought it would play exactly like the Pure Control, their original published specs were simply taken from the Pure Control. When they actually had the thing made, however, it turned out that the changes in construction had a greater than anticipated effect on how the racquet actually played. Most significantly, the finished frame was notably more flexible than the Pure Control. So TW's numbers are actually more correct, and Babolat's will eventually be changed to reflect the real stiffness.

On to the practical questions. No, the two racquets definitely do NOT play and feel the same. The PST is softer, more flexible and a bit lower powered than the Pure Control, which was much crisper. Some also say the PST sweetspot is slightly smaller. Those who know the Pure Control well also know that it has gone through a few iterations over the years, becoming stiffer in more recent years. The PST is more flexible than even the oldest, most flexible versions of the Pure Control (which had RA measurements in the 64-66 range, as opposed to the latest Pure Controls, which were in the 67-69 range).

So yes, Babolat's numbers on their own racquet were off...way off...because they didn't actually use measured values. This has nothing to do with their production tolerances or standards.

SIDE NOTE: If you're looking for a racquet that is similar to the Pure Control in flex pattern and feel, you may be surprised to find that the AeroStorm is currently the most similar in the line, despite its seemingly totally different construction. Despite the Aero modular design, Cortex, etc., the Aerostorm is the closest in terms of stiffness in the line now to the old Pure Control, which is a shame. It also doesn't come in the + length.

Ace
03-26-2008, 09:47 AM
SIDE NOTE: If you're looking for a racquet that is similar to the Pure Control in flex pattern and feel, you may be surprised to find that the AeroStorm is currently the most similar in the line, despite its seemingly totally different construction. Despite the Aero modular design, Cortex, etc., the Aerostorm is the closest in terms of stiffness in the line now to the old Pure Control, which is a shame.

Thanks for that added info, that is good to know, I'll have to try it for myself sometime. The PC has a very unique feel to me...I don't demo a lot of racquets though, but I have never felt anything quite like it.

Bottle Rocket
03-26-2008, 10:42 AM
so you're saying that you switched BACK to the PST? i see... what do you think about the dead spot in the upper hoop? I think it sorta makes sense to me now... sometimes i hit a backhand and i'm like... huh?! and if i recall correctly the stringbed felt dead with no pop. might be b/c i'm hitting the ball too early and catching the upper part of the sweet spot.

Uhh... No.

I used Pure Control's for a while. Then I bought a new Pure Storm Tour (the day they became available at TW). I played with it for a few weeks, before totally losing interest in the frame. Around this time, I discovered a different frame. Now I feel negatively about the Pure Storm Tour, my post describes my thoughts pretty well.

I still own a Pure Storm Tour and have recently played with it again. Everytime I use it, the less I seem to like it...

hyogen
03-26-2008, 11:20 AM
oh okay, i seem to have misunderstood your post

LPShanet
03-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Uhh... No.

I used Pure Control's for a while. Then I bought a new Pure Storm Tour (the day they became available at TW). I played with it for a few weeks, before totally losing interest in the frame. Around this time, I discovered a different frame. Now I feel negatively about the Pure Storm Tour, my post describes my thoughts pretty well.

I still own a Pure Storm Tour and have recently played with it again. Everytime I use it, the less I seem to like it...

And what is your current frame of choice? (the one you "discovered"). Might be useful to the others on the thread for reference.

hyogen
03-26-2008, 04:31 PM
it's because the bay is a competitor of TW. they dont' want to give free advertising to their competitors

PED
03-26-2008, 04:33 PM
I still have a PST and really like it alot. Once I got my setup dialed in (alu mains and titan syn gut crosses at 52/54) it really came alive for me but I understand that everyone likes something different ;)

Bottle Rocket
03-26-2008, 05:52 PM
And what is your current frame of choice? (the one you "discovered"). Might be useful to the others on the thread for reference.

A Wilson kSix-One 95 "X"...