PDA

View Full Version : wierd situation

Enrai
03-25-2008, 08:55 AM
i use 2 dunlop m-fil 500; one strung with prince synthetic gut 16(tension 57) and one with wilson enduro mono(tension 58). The problem is that the latter now feels heavier than the former according to myself and other sources. How is this possible and should this happen? Thank you for any clarification on this matter.

Doc Hollidae
03-25-2008, 09:14 AM
i use 2 dunlop m-fil 500; one strung with prince synthetic gut 16(tension 57) and one with wilson enduro mono(tension 58). The problem is that the latter now feels heavier than the former according to myself and other sources. How is this possible and should this happen? Thank you for any clarification on this matter.

Poly weighs more than syn guts, as well as, higher tensions weigh more than a lower tensions. Though the 1 lbs difference shouldn't make a noticable difference.

flash9
03-25-2008, 09:19 AM
... as well as, higher tensions weigh more than a lower tensions. ...

How can this be? If anything higher tensions will "hypothetically" use less string since the string will stretch more and there would be less string used at higher tensions. How can higher tension make a string job weigh more? :confused:

themitchmann
03-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Poly weighs more than syn guts, as well as, higher tensions weigh more than a lower tensions. Though the 1 lbs difference shouldn't make a noticable difference.

I think lower tensions weigh more, as the string does not stretch as much and therefore more mass stays within the frame. Could be wrong, though.

themitchmann
03-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Beat me to it Flash.

Enrai
03-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Thank for the answers b ut the thing is t hat the 58 does wiegh a little more 57. Before i used the wilson enduro mono, both racquets felt the same. I t may actually be the strings. Oh well , i was gonna buy lead tape to make them heavier and to make more head light anyway. Guess, it works out anyway.

Doc Hollidae
03-25-2008, 09:36 AM
^^^

I might be wrong about the tension statement then. I thought I had remember reading that in one of NBMJ's threads a while back, but it was about something else. I'm not sure where I remembered hearing that, but your guys' explanations seem correct.

The poly weighing more than syn gut is true though.

flash9
03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Thank for the answers but the thing is t hat the 58 does weigh a little more 57. Before i used the wilson enduro mono, both racquets felt the same. It may actually be the strings. Oh well , i was gonna buy lead tape to make them heavier and to make more head light anyway. Guess, it works out anyway.

Feel can be very subjective.

You really need to take both frames unstrung, with identical grips and overgrips, and weigh them to the nearest 1/10 of an ounce. Also, calculate the balance point of the unstrung frames. Then if they are not the same there are some excel spreadsheets you can use to begin to modify the frames as you like. These spreadsheets can tell you where to add weight, and how it will effect the swingweight of your frames. Strings do weigh differently, and you might need to add some very small amounts of lead to make them identical if they are more then a 1/10 of an ounce different once they have been strung.

LPShanet
03-26-2008, 09:10 AM

As previously stated in this thread, it's pretty pointless to make any modifications or guesses without having proper specs on the racquets. It's very hard for a player of ANY level to accurately assess the reasons for two racquets feeling different just by playing with them. It's easy to confuse the effects of weight, swingweight, balance and even stiffness with each other. You must first get the two frames specs taken by a knowledgeable racquet tech. Make sure they're in the exact same condition (no overgrips, no strings, no accessories, etc.). Also, it's a good idea to take the measurements after not having played with them for at least a few days, as sweat affects the weight (gross, but true).

Enrai
03-26-2008, 09:29 AM
what i meant by heavy is that the one with the wilson enduro mono became slightly more head heavy than the one with prince synthetic. i found this out by using the "finger test" to to see if a racquet is more head heavy or head light.

LPShanet
03-26-2008, 03:11 PM
what i meant by heavy is that the one with the wilson enduro mono became slightly more head heavy than the one with prince synthetic. i found this out by using the "finger test" to to see if a racquet is more head heavy or head light.

Unless you're going to use severed fingers to customize your racquet (:)), that really doesn't help much. You still need to get the (naked) racquets spec'd to do anything helpful to remedy the situation. The finger test is just a VERY rough test of balance point (not weight, swingweight or anything else) and not very useful or measurable. Once you have the specs, everyone on this board can provide useful information on how to help you out. Please keep in mind that it's highly unlikely that the racquets were matched exactly when you first got them. Manufacturer's specs (except for those on Fischer no tolerance racquets) are greatly variable. Differences are the norm, not the exception.

iplaybetter
03-26-2008, 05:17 PM
poly has very little stretch so a racket has more of it in it

slice bh compliment
03-26-2008, 05:23 PM
polys are more dense, and heavier. But really, what are we talking about here, like 5 or 6 grams? Big deal. It's not even a quarter ounce.

If it is the change in balance you are worried about, slap 5 or 6 grams into the handle to counter it. Bam. Better racquet!

Now, if you really need to shave 6 grams off the head you can trim down the bumperguard, I suppose. But I wouldn't.

Steve Huff
03-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Doc, do you still have that beachfront condo out in Arizona for sale?