PDA

View Full Version : NoBAdMojo -- V1 classic/Tour 8 Stiffness Question

ej
01-03-2005, 01:47 PM
The V1 Classic and Tour 8 have similar specs. Both are very stiff, 69 and 70 respectively.

Do you think the Tour 8 is loads more uncomfortable and less playable, or did Volkl figure out a way to make the Tour 8 a comfortable, do-everything-well frame like the classic?

NoBadMojo
01-03-2005, 02:04 PM
ej somehow even tho the V1 has been out forever and is very stiff, it is a very comfortable hit to the point where it is even good for tennis elbow people and such. i havent hit the Tour8 v-engine but have experience w. the standard Tour8 (is that what you mean?)and that frame, while solid, felt much stiffer and was a bit shocky on mis-hits wheras the v1 isnt jarring even on mis-hits. i suspect the Tour8VE would be stiff feeling like the older Tour8 especially considering that the v-engine seems to stiffen things up a bit, but really have no first hand info for you on the T8ve <end>

ej
01-03-2005, 02:09 PM
thanks! I'm going to demo the V1 Classic because I like the specs...

NoBadMojo
01-03-2005, 02:36 PM
good choice....see if they can get you the 10th anniversary edition...think you will like it if you like the specs..it's really easy to hit well and can do everything well and you can grow with it and it lends itself well to lead tape if you ever need to do that, and anniversary edition graphics are cool beans...let us know how that goes for you

NoBadMojo
01-03-2005, 04:34 PM
ej if you want a bargain since you mentioned the tour8 which is longer, check out the Catapult7...i didnt check the specs, but it might be in your range...they are discontinuing this frame..nobody ever talks about it, but i think it is a really nice frame..very solid and predictable stringbed and good juice.....and i bet tw has them at bargain prices..it might be about the same swingweight but a little more headlight. ed

ej
01-03-2005, 06:44 PM
ej if you want a bargain since you mentioned the tour8 which is longer, check out the Catapult7...i didnt check the specs, but it might be in your range...they are discontinuing this frame..nobody ever talks about it, but i think it is a really nice frame..very solid and predictable stringbed and good juice.....and i bet tw has them at bargain prices..it might be about the same swingweight but a little more headlight. ed

Sounds like it's worth a try -- probably better than say the Cat V1 which I'm going to try along with the classic. I'm looking for something soft and low powered with a stationary weight of 11oz strung (+-.5 oz) and swingweight at 315 or lower. I want to be able to string it with 18g ashway kevlar, so hopefully a soft volkl will help counteract the kevlar shock. I need something light and off-center-friendly for the dirt. my rd7 and ultra 2 largehead are too bulky for my whippy forehand, especially on the clay, where I need something more manuverable to track the dirty bounces. I've been trying some of the lighter head frames, like the I Extreme and I Rad, and I love the light weight but would prefer something softer so I can use my favorite string. Maybe you can give your opinion on weather or not any of the catapults can be de-trampolined with tightly strung kevlar...

NoBadMojo
01-03-2005, 07:06 PM
ej the cat7 is the one catapult frame that i really didnt notice the catapult making the stringbed inconsistent, and i think it is pretty maneiverable for being 1/2" longer and doesnt feel stiff..i think it's a better choice for you than the CatV1. I play on the dirt too and that is why i cant use a smaller headed frame....all the little erratic badbounces on the dirt make midsized frames too precise for me. both the v1 classic and cat7 would be good choices for you i think...if you can handle slightly higher swingweight, the fischer pro1 is a gem and plays nice and soft..good luck and let me know how that works for you.

ej
01-03-2005, 07:34 PM
I'll try the cat 7 and fischer. I've hit with (and loved) the gamma 9.5 which I'm told is sort of like the pro 1. regarding the pro 1, did you notice big shock in the upper hoop?