PDA

View Full Version : Not buying a racket because of grip shape?

bruno hau
03-25-2008, 03:15 PM
I like these player's frames (Volkl DNX 10 Midsize, Becker 11 Midsize, Head Microgel Prestige Midsize, Wilson K-Blade Tour) but ended up buying the Wilson K-Blade Tour because I like the Wilson grip shape (rounder). Had the Head Microgel Prestige Midsize not have the more rectangular grip shape (HATE it), I would have bought it for sure. Anyone else not buying a certain racket because of the grip shape?

Kevin T
03-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Yep, all the time Bruno. It seems I always go back to Wilson. I can do Dunlop or Kennex but can really tell the difference on everything else. Doctoring the grips never works to my satisfaction and nothing feels better than ripping a one handed backhand with the Wilson grip shape.

BreakPoint
03-25-2008, 03:47 PM
..... nothing feels better than ripping a one handed backhand with the Wilson grip shape.
Yup, I totally agree! :)

Tennisguy777
03-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes, Wilson makes one of the best grip shapes. I tried Head but the racquets would slip out, twist on shots. I have found now, since I no longer use the nBlade, that the Dunlop Aerogel 300 grips shape is perfect. I use a 4 5/8 with 2 overgrips by the way. On the head racquets I added extra bevels to the grips to make them more rounder and the balance got all messed up and the racquet became unpredictable.

Tennisguy777
03-25-2008, 07:31 PM
nothing feels better than ripping a one handed backhand with the Wilson grip shape.
I would disagree, Dunlop feels slightly better.

anirut
03-25-2008, 07:41 PM
For me, Wilson, Dunlop & PK grips are fine. As for PK, just a very little doctoring will make it great.

As for Head & Volkl, I "can" play with them as is. But if I need to doctor them, that'd be a little hassle.

snoopy
03-25-2008, 07:45 PM
You could have gotten RPNY to replace the pallet on the Head racquet with a pallet that's similar to Wilson's grip shape. This would have cost you $40 per frame. Another option is getting RPNY to mold a new handle for you. This is even more expensive.

These costs may be prohibitive but if you really, really like a racquet and the grip shape is the only thing that bothers you, there are solutions.

vndesu
03-25-2008, 08:16 PM
yeah on the fxp prestige its more rectangled but i added a strip of a cd cover and used that to make the grip rounder.

if you were to compare the fxp mid you trade me and the kblade tour could you tell me the cons and pros of both rackets thx.

TheShaun
03-25-2008, 08:44 PM
I like these player's frames (Volkl DNX 10 Midsize, Becker 11 Midsize, Head Microgel Prestige Midsize, Wilson K-Blade Tour) but ended up buying the Wilson K-Blade Tour because I like the Wilson grip shape (rounder). Had the Head Microgel Prestige Midsize not have the more rectangular grip shape (HATE it), I would have bought it for sure. Anyone else not buying a certain racket because of the grip shape?

Bruno,

have you seen the thread started by chris_in_japan? he shows how to mod a head grip shape. I'll try and find it...

here it is:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=183705

____
03-26-2008, 12:47 AM
It would be nice if Head , Volkl have an optional Wilson- shaped pallet sold with their stick.