PDA

View Full Version : Pure Drive Roddick Plus

eric892
03-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi,

Should I put lead tape and a dampener for my new PDR+ ? Is the cortex system really effective?

Thanks.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/eric892/RacquetCoverBag.jpg

sonicboi21
03-25-2008, 06:02 PM
i think a dampener is reasonable. but i think lead tape shouldnt be appplied. the pdr+ already has so much power. adding lead would make it even harder to control your shots

azn_tomato
03-25-2008, 06:06 PM
It really depends on how you are playing with it. Do YOU think it needs lead tape?

eric892
03-25-2008, 06:09 PM
But is the cortex system really effective? The purpose of the system is to absorb harmful vibrations right? Then what is a dampener used for, is it to make the contact with the ball silent?

eric892
03-25-2008, 06:14 PM
It really depends on how you are playing with it. Do YOU think it needs lead tape?

I never hit with the racquet before, it is new. After reading about the good comments for the PDR+ I bought it because. The pj is nice and I think it suits my game instead of my old Head Liquidmetal 8 which is head heavy.

And some more Andy Roddick is using this racquet but without the cortex.

vinhextreme
03-25-2008, 06:17 PM
nah i don't think so
i've owned this racket and didn't need any lead tape
i just sold it XD

eric892
03-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Lead tape is used for making the head heavier and to create more power to the racquet right?

GMN
03-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't put lead tape on it, unless you really think it is too light for you. The racquet has good weight and lots of stability in stock form.

I use a dampener on any racquet - it softens the sound. I recommend it on the PDR

eric892
03-26-2008, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't put lead tape on it, unless you really think it is too light for you. The racquet has good weight and lots of stability in stock form.

I use a dampener on any racquet - it softens the sound. I recommend it on the PDR

Isn't the louder your racquet produce the pop sound the better it is? At least you can know whether you actually hit at the correct spot.

akybo
04-06-2008, 05:06 AM
And some more Andy Roddick is using this racquet but without the cortex.
I see it is a sure thing in this forum about Andy is using the non cortex version but I look into some pictures and what I see is he's using the cortex version but cortex is almost cover by the overgrip.Here are a few of those:
http://www.tennischallenge.org/images/home_roddick.jpg
http://www.nedgallagher.com/journal/images/RoddickWimbledon07.jpg
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3893/fulljgetty75791266ms032qs0.jpg
http://www.sportomania.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/andy_roddick2.jpg
http://digitalheadbutt.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/andy-roddick.jpg

eric892
04-06-2008, 05:52 AM
I see it is a sure thing in this forum about Andy is using the non cortex version but I look into some pictures and what I see is he's using the cortex version but cortex is almost cover by the overgrip.Here are a few of those:
http://www.tennischallenge.org/images/home_roddick.jpg
http://www.nedgallagher.com/journal/images/RoddickWimbledon07.jpg
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3893/fulljgetty75791266ms032qs0.jpg
http://www.sportomania.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/andy_roddick2.jpg
http://digitalheadbutt.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/andy-roddick.jpg

Thanks for the links. I heard some people said that Babolat actually paint the handle of his racquet so that it looks like he is using the cortex system. Anyway we can only be sure if Roddick decide to give his racquet to someone and he/she confirm it.

Djokovicfan4life
04-06-2008, 05:55 AM
Dude, always try before you buy. I used to LOVE my Babalot Pure Drive Oversize, but I always HATED my brothers Roddick so it's definitely not for everyone.

akybo
04-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the links. I heard some people said that Babolat actually paint the handle of his racquet so that it looks like he is using the cortex system. Anyway we can only be sure if Roddick decide to give his racquet to someone and he/she confirm it.If someone can find a better picture then you can easy see if it's a real cortex or just a pj.

eric892
04-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Dude, always try before you buy. I used to LOVE my Babalot Pure Drive Oversize, but I always HATED my brothers Roddick so it's definitely not for everyone.

I know. But in this case I never demo this racquet. Sold my LM 8 and bought it bc it is Roddick's signature racquet and also as he is my favourite player on tour.

Plus, I heard some good reviews on the racquet like it is good & stable, good for baseliners. The only downside is that it is very stiff and cause TE, but after playing with it for a month now, I've never experience TE, hope not :)

akybo
04-07-2008, 06:56 AM
TE you make when you have a bad or not so good technique;I used to play with a donnay pro tournament(stiff around 60-65) and I had TE.When I started focus on my technique,easily my TE was gone,I changed to a Pure Drive Team+ (stiff 70)and nothing happens,my opinion is it's all about technique.

AmeliasDad
04-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Hi,

Should I put lead tape and a dampener for my new PDR+ ? Is the cortex system really effective?

Thanks.

How about you play with it first as is and then decide if you should lead it up or not:-?

Fatmike
04-07-2008, 08:52 AM
I play with one for a little less then a year. I use a dampener but no leadtape.

It's heavy. I just bought PD standard +. Will try it for first time tonight.

eric892
04-07-2008, 08:02 PM
TE you make when you have a bad or not so good technique;I used to play with a donnay pro tournament(stiff around 60-65) and I had TE.When I started focus on my technique,easily my TE was gone,I changed to a Pure Drive Team+ (stiff 70)and nothing happens,my opinion is it's all about technique.

True, I think it is all about the technique. When most of the time you hit wrongly, not at the sweetspot, I think there will be more vibrations and it will hurt your arm sooner or later.

akybo
04-07-2008, 11:55 PM
True, I think it is all about the technique. When most of the time you hit wrongly, not at the sweetspot, I think there will be more vibrations and it will hurt your arm sooner or later.
Anyway,no one can consistenly hit the sweet spot,sometimes we do mistakes,in this case a heavier racquet is preffered.I saw on this forum a guy with aprox 363g PDR+ racquet;I wander how it playes :)

alebazt24
04-08-2008, 06:14 AM
I use this raquet,

I own a PDR+, yesterday in the club it marked 377 gr.

I bought the 4.3/8 because I couldnt find the 4.1/2 in Argentina.
took it to enlarge grip size, and it adds 15 gr. to the grip.
so tape at 3 and 9. and 10.30 and 1.30. with "mini leads"

it feels very solid, Ithink ythat you have to add as much weight as you can handle,

maybe a couple o grams at 3 and 9 will be a good choice.

eric892
04-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Same, my grip size is 4. 3/8

akybo
04-09-2008, 02:32 AM
I use this raquet,

I own a PDR+, yesterday in the club it marked 377 gr.

I bought the 4.3/8 because I couldnt find the 4.1/2 in Argentina.
took it to enlarge grip size, and it adds 15 gr. to the grip.
so tape at 3 and 9. and 10.30 and 1.30. with "mini leads"

it feels very solid, Ithink ythat you have to add as much weight as you can handle,

maybe a couple o grams at 3 and 9 will be a good choice.
Is not too much power with that weight?I play with a PD Team+ and I feel I need a little heavier but just a little,that's why I think I swich to pdr+

alebazt24
04-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Is not too much power with that weight?I play with a PD Team+ and I feel I need a little heavier but just a little,that's why I think I swich to pdr+

If you want a little more power with the PDteam+, I will recomend to tape it at the 12 or 3 and 9 or 10.30 and 1.30.

the better way to improve your game is to find the raquet you like and then start adding weight.

I think my PDR+ got a little heavy, I can manage easy but 377 is a little heavy.

Take it to 340 and you will be perfect !!

movdqa
12-02-2008, 06:37 AM
I've been thinking about adding a little tape to the hoop for more power on the serve and a little more heft on volleys. I find the racquet very easy to swing and sometimes it feels like a flyswatter.

My other consideration is to add columns of silicone into the handle via the trap door for some plowthrough and shock absorbtion benefits. I will probably start with three grams at 3/9.

Has anyone tried adding weight using a soft material into the handle? The columns would be removable. I was thinking of the sticks of glue that are sold with glue guns at craft stores.

Midlife crisis
12-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I've been thinking about adding a little tape to the hoop for more power on the serve and a little more heft on volleys. I find the racquet very easy to swing and sometimes it feels like a flyswatter.

My other consideration is to add columns of silicone into the handle via the trap door for some plowthrough and shock absorbtion benefits. I will probably start with three grams at 3/9.

Has anyone tried adding weight using a soft material into the handle? The columns would be removable. I was thinking of the sticks of glue that are sold with glue guns at craft stores.

The handles on my son's two PDR+'s are a solid, yellowish hardened foam type material. They're not hollow like other racquets and so there's no easy way to add weight to the handle itself without putting tape on the outside.

My son likes his racquets with six grams at 3 and 9 o'clock and an extra two or three grams from using the full length of a replacement Prince DuraTred grip, but otherwise stock. I cut the power down by using a full Kirschbaum P2 stringjob, however only at 48 pounds tension for arm safety. With 1.25 strings, it comes to 348 grams, 4 points HL, with a swingweight of just under 360.

movdqa
12-03-2008, 06:15 AM
I popped open the trap door last night and it looks like there is plenty of room to insert silicone or glue sticks after bending the staples out of the way. The trap door is on the bottom. You just need something like an awl to pry it off.

A 360 sw is pretty heavy.

Midlife crisis
12-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I popped open the trap door last night and it looks like there is plenty of room to insert silicone or glue sticks after bending the staples out of the way. The trap door is on the bottom. You just need something like an awl to pry it off.

A 360 sw is pretty heavy.

You must have newer racquets. The ones my son have, have solid foam palettes. For our needs, though, it's actually okay. My son is needing to move up in grip size from a 1/2 to a 5/8, so the sleeve will add some weight and make it a hair more headlight. He's a big kid so the swingweight is no issue, but even when he was younger I had him using a heavier racquet. It kept his wristiness down and the extra weight is also more arm-safe. He's never had any arm problems even though he uses this stiff of a racquet with an all-poly stringjob.