PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Slazenger Pro X-1 hit like?

don_nguyen11490
03-25-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm trying to find more about this stick. It sounds like an S&V stick, something I've been looking for for a long time. Has anyone hit with it? How does it play?

Thanks in advance for the input.

skraggle
03-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Kind of like a stiffer, lighter 6.0 95. I didn't like it for groundstrokes, but very nice for S&V like you want.

Raymond089
03-26-2008, 12:21 AM
hi, i have a slazenger x-1 if you like one. Or a slazenger nx one. Email me if you like it on raymondle89@msn.com

Richard Pur
03-26-2008, 03:29 AM
In my opinion, the Pro X1 is more powerful than the PS 6.0 95, and a little stiffer than its rating. It seems to have a smaller sweetspot. You get out of the racquet what you put in. There are no free points with it. But it serves great, is better than average on volleying than many of today's racquets. It has a real muted feel (something I like). More of a classic style racquet.

I use a little lead in the head and slightly looser strings to open up the sweetspot.

theone
03-26-2008, 05:14 AM
Extremely muted, quite powerfull especially on serves with a lot of spin. Requires a good ball striker 4.5+

TenniseaWilliams
03-26-2008, 07:12 AM
Exceptionally solid feel. I agree that I have found better for groundies, but if you like to taunt decent baseliners at the net, this is your racquet. I added weighted to emphasize the stability. The pro-braided hits nearly as well, with the advantage of better groundstroke power. The NX-One's suck. Expect an email Raymond089! I can't find a current replacement, need to keep a supply until I do...

In D Zone
03-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Took my Slazenger Pro X1 from the closet last week - did some update on the racquet:
Restrung with hybrid. Main= Pro Supex Premier Ace 17 g (55 lbs). Cross = Prince Syn w/ Duratec 17g (57lbs).
Replaced the grip - Head Hydrosorb
Added Sampras 'O' dampener.

I played a match yesterday using the X1 - noticed a big difference in power delivered by the hybrid string. I had to slow down my stroke to avoid overhitting - after a few adjustment, I am very pleased with how the racquet performed from the baseline. Very stable, great control and as usual deadly on the net.
Yes - I beat my opponent 6 -3 and 4-1 (ran out of time).

One thing for sure - if you are experincing low power from the baseline with your X1, time to mod it with hybrid. You'll see what I am talking about!

03-26-2008, 12:26 PM
IMO the X1 has a perfect combination of static weight, SW, and balance resulting in a frame that is effortless to swing yet plays heavier than its specs would imply. No other frame I've tried (or owned) feels so perfect in the hand as the X1. Hard to describe actually. It truly feels and swings like an extension of the arm/hand. Good pop, great for serves and volleys, and nasty spin. An all-court 'scalpel'. Not suited for baseline campers though, but is hardly a pushover off the ground. Stiff hoop. Muted response. Plays best with a crisp mono or poly hybrid.

TenniseaWilliams
03-26-2008, 12:31 PM
How does it compare to your Technifibre? I can still find those...

theone
03-26-2008, 12:44 PM
The tecnifibres are nice, but have no where near that solid feel. I think its the lack of kevlar

In D Zone
03-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Checked out the classified - there are a boat of these available between $50 to 65 shipped. I think this is one great racquet especially for all court players.
It may lack the power needed from what a baseliner wants but the control and stability is amazing. The shortcoming is easily compensated.
To me the X1 is alot easier to play compared to N6.1 95 or K95.

X1 has the old school feel; others may find it stiffer than what it is rated. I think it really plays similar to N6.1 Tour 90 except is offers a bit more power because of the larger head size.

North
03-26-2008, 02:35 PM
IMO the X1 has a perfect combination of static weight, SW, and balance resulting in a frame that is effortless to swing yet plays heavier than its specs would imply. No other frame I've tried (or owned) feels so perfect in the hand as the X1. Hard to describe actually. It truly feels and swings like an extension of the arm/hand. Good pop, great for serves and volleys, and nasty spin. An all-court 'scalpel'. Not suited for baseline campers though, but is hardly a pushover off the ground. Stiff hoop. Muted response. Plays best with a crisp mono or poly hybrid.

Spot on - almost exactly what I was going to say about the X1! However, I use NXT 17g with it at the top of the tension range. The X1 definitely swings lighter than its static weight would suggest. The sweet spot is not generous but there is no jarring to the arm with mis-hits. I've never found another racquet quite like it.

BreakPoint
03-26-2008, 02:55 PM
I think the X-1 is one of the best racquets made in the past 10 years. Solid, great feel, plenty of power (for me), and swings through the air like a hot knife through butter. Works great on serves, volleys, and even on groundies for me. Plays like a lighter, less harsh version of the PS 6.1 Classic but with even better feel. Too bad it was discontinued so soon. It's a "classic" in it's own right.

I even rated it higher overall than the venerable PS 6.0 85 (as well as greats Yonex RDX 500 Mid and nCode 90) in my comparative playtest review for TW a few years ago: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/BREAKP02.html

:shock:

AndrewD
03-26-2008, 03:32 PM
The NX-One's suck.

Nah, if you're talking about the NX-One's we get in Australia and the UK, they're a decent racquet (great on the volley, very nice to serve with) just far too light. At 12oz and 8-10pts HL it'd be an absolute winner. Of course, if that's what you wanted you could just buy the Tecnifibre TF 320 LOL.

Richard Pur
03-26-2008, 03:36 PM
If these were hard to find, or you wanted a replacement, what would it be?

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago asking whether the MGPP was the closest tp the Pro X1? Didn't have any responses.

Any thoughts? The specs are real close.

But back to the Pro X1, I find the racquet to harsh at the upper tension range even with a softer string (Gosen micro sheep), and if I go lower on the tension, I start losing control. So I once tried RIP Control at a low tension (50 to 52), and that didn't feel to bad. Had better control with the stiffer string, yet not too harsh because of the looser tension. I'm not a string afficianado so I don't experiment too much, but has anyone tried something similar?

North
03-27-2008, 03:15 AM
I have several of the X1s, so hopefully I am set for a very long time. I don't know what I'd replace them with if I had to. I've tried other racquets from time to time to see if anything else comes close and nothing does. I think I'd have to start saving up to get a good racquet maker to reproduce the X1 spec-for-spec and hope that worked.

I have tried the X1 with a number of different strings. I usually like the feel of gut but the X1 just feels too mushy with gut, at any tension. Firm strings all hurt my arm (ie; elbow) even at fairly low tensions. That is why I settled on a nice soft multi and just discovered, by trial-and-error, that I liked the way NXT felt. Actually, the soft multi feels more like the way gut usually feels than the real gut felt on the NXT - I cannot explain why that is - just what I found.

Two more things about the strings that I found. One - the soft multi at the max string tension on the X1 (60lbs) does not feel harsh at all, even to my very sensitive arm. Two - the tension range is only from 55 to 60 lbs. However, a difference of even only a pound or two of tension on the X1 feels like what a 4 or 5 pound difference feels like on other racquets with wider ranges of strisng tension. In other words, a one lb difference on the X1 is really quite noticeable.

This is just what I've found. It's probably worth it to experiment with strings yourself.

TenniseaWilliams
03-27-2008, 04:56 AM
North, I also noticed an exaggerated response to tension and string stiffness, thought I was actually starting to develop some sensitivity. I currently use one of the softer poly's (Topspin Cyber Power) w/ a soft synthetic gut cross strung at 51. Durability is an issue with this setup. I also have my frames matched in weight (13.2) and balance (12pt HL) to make them play the same, and so I can test different strings a little more exactly.

Richard, I can't find a substitute. I have tried most of the player racquets from the major manf (Wilson, Head, Prince, Dunlop) and was starting to go through the second tier (Volkl, Technifibre, Fischer, ProKennex, Yonex) when all the new racquets came out and I started back through the big boys again. I have the USRSA grids to try and find similar frames by spec, with disappointing results. The closest I have found is the Wilson 6.1 90. Very stable, but still plays a lot differently, maybe I could jump the gap if I spent a few months hitting with them exclusively. Good luck with the search, (please let me know if you find one)

03-27-2008, 05:09 AM
about a year ago I bought a TF335 16x20 out of curiosity + positve feedback on these boards. IMO it feels 'longer' in the hand than the X1, does not swing as easily, is more flexible, is not quite as muted, has a bigger sweetspot, and serves equally well. But...it just does not have the intagible 'effortless swing' quality of the X1. Granted the 335 is about 0.5 ounces heavier overall - and you can really feel it - it plays to its specs. Great racquet but it requires a full, committed swing to move all that mass. With the X1, you don't even have to to think about swinging it.

Richard Pur
03-27-2008, 09:23 AM
In other words, a one lb difference on the X1 is really quite noticeable.

North,

Totally agreed with that statement. I also tried Gosen Tec Gut Remplir once in the X1, and that felt pretty good for me at 55lbs. Any higher and the already small sweetspot will shrink even more.

Tennisea,

Strange that you mention the 6.1 90, because I tried the K90 recently and for the first hour I thought I had found the one. The muted feel etc. was all there, but the weight did me in after that first hour. Not enough racquet speed. But I was thinking about the N90, since its swingweight was less than the K90 (326 vs. 336). I thought that might be a big enough difference. But I've also read on the forum that some people feel the K90 swings lighter/faster than the N90. You know how that goes.

Anyway, have you guys ever tried the Gamma 325G? A lot less power but great feel, and a good alternative if you can supply the power. Needs a little lead.

Sorry if I highjacked this thread a little, but it just goes to show how irreplacable the X1 is. Are there enough people to start a Slazenger Club?

BreakPoint
03-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Richard, I can't find a substitute. I have tried most of the player racquets from the major manf (Wilson, Head, Prince, Dunlop) and was starting to go through the second tier (Volkl, Technifibre, Fischer, ProKennex, Yonex) when all the new racquets came out and I started back through the big boys again. I have the USRSA grids to try and find similar frames by spec, with disappointing results. The closest I have found is the Wilson 6.1 90. Very stable, but still plays a lot differently, maybe I could jump the gap if I spent a few months hitting with them exclusively. Good luck with the search, (please let me know if you find one)
Since Slazenger and Dunlop are the same company and their racquets designed by the same people, I've found Dunlops to play the closest to the Slazenger Pro X-1. Have you tried the Dunlop Aerogel 200 and Aerogel 100? I think they feel the closest out of the racquets that I've tried (along with the Wilson PS 6.1 Classic, but that one is much heavier and stiffer). The AG200 shares the same 95 sq. in. headsize as the X-1 but not the string pattern (18x20), while the AG100 shares a similar more open string pattern (16x19) but not the headsize (90 sq. in.). But I can tell all 3 come from the same lineage.

North
03-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Anyway, have you guys ever tried the Gamma 325G? A lot less power but great feel, and a good alternative if you can supply the power. Needs a little lead.

Sorry if I highjacked this thread a little, but it just goes to show how irreplacable the X1 is. Are there enough people to start a Slazenger Club?

Yeah, the Gamma 325G is the closest I've found to the X1. If I was forced to use a substitute, that would probably be it, though I'm sure I would still be longing for my Slaz X1.

If we start a Slazenger Club, count me in.

thejuice
03-27-2008, 06:42 PM
I've never hit with the Asian K90 but my guess is that it would be the closest in spec and possible feel to the Slaz X-1.

TenniseaWilliams
03-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Yeah, the Gamma 325G is the closest I've found to the X1. If I was forced to use a substitute, that would probably be it, though I'm sure I would still be longing for my Slaz X1.

If we start a Slazenger Club, count me in.

North, I doubt there are enough of us for a Slazenger club, but started a thread for a dinosaur club (killer extinct racquets) Would love to have some fellow X1 mourners...

split-step
03-27-2008, 09:13 PM
I had 4 of these racquets and they were my main racquets for a while. Honestly this racquet sucks. It plays WAAAY too stiff. It feels like a 2x4. No feedback at all on shots. Relatively hard to generate topspin.
Only good thing about the racquet is for serves.

I don't miss this racquet. I already got rid of 1 of them and can't the other 3. If you are interested let me know. One of the 3 hasn't even been played with at all. I'll have to dig in the garage to find it though.

Anyway I am through my player's frame days. Oversize it baby. Give me topspin and power woohoo!

skraggle
03-27-2008, 10:02 PM
I had 4 of these racquets and they were my main racquets for a while. Honestly this racquet sucks. It plays WAAAY too stiff. It feels like a 2x4. No feedback at all on shots. Relatively hard to generate topspin.

I don't miss this racquet. I already got rid of 1 of them and can't the other 3. If you are interested let me know. One of the 3 hasn't even been played with at all. I'll have to dig in the garage to find it though.

Anyway I am through my player's frame days. Oversize it baby. Give me topspin and power woohoo!

This might be the most honest "For Sale" listing ever...

BreakPoint
03-27-2008, 10:08 PM
I've never hit with the Asian K90 but my guess is that it would be the closest in spec and possible feel to the Slaz X-1.
Nope, I use both and they are very different. The X-1 is quite a bit stiffer and more powerful. The X-1 also has the "X" shock and vibration dampening system inside the handle (which works very well) while the AK90 has a more raw feel to it.

louis netman
03-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Played the X1 a few summers ago when I was healthy and it took me a while to dial in the strings. When I did (klip 17m, JC17x around 50#) it was an effective attack weapon with leather and a little lead at 2 & 10. Had to be fit and "on-the-ball" or die with this one. When I began to lose health & fitness, strength and foot-speed, I surely went down with it. Definitely a stick for a good ball stiker who's fit and plays everyday. Loved the paint, head & beam shape, & 16x18 pattern. Gripes: muted response, long handle, somewhat dead upper hoop. I still keep one around for those fleeting moments when I suddenly feel like 25 again...It's been sitting on my rack since that one fine summer...

ryohazuki222
03-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Very interesting thread...

Has anyone tried a Vantage racket customized similar to the specs of an X1? Based on information I've read on these forums (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=7754 for starters) it seems to me that the closest company to make rackets similar to the Slazenger X1 would be Vantage.

http://i27.tinypic.com/35mi8uo.jpg

If you compare it to the X1, the throat is nearly identical... as is the matte finish. Judging from the length between the end of the grip tape and the throat, however, it seems to be a bit longer on the vantage. My guess is that it would feel different since I doubt it's made with the same braided graphite/kevlar combo... but from my research it's on the top of my list.

That would leave the problem of figuring out which specs would play most similar to the X1. As stated a few times in this thread, the X1 is so unique because given the specs it plays different that you'd think.

All in all.... someone should buy a bunch of Vantages and playtest! Haha. Or fund my research.... that'll work too.

Regarding how the X1 plays, I pretty much agree wholeheartedly with this:

I also agree that the X1 is very string and tension sensitive. So far the absolute best I've found is full SPPP 1.18 at 55... but after a couple outings it's lost too much tension. At one time I also tried Gamma Natural Gut 15l with sppp crosses (forget the tension) and it was pretty fun once I adjusted. Super trampoline-like and springy, yet the ball still managed to land in. I currently use Gosen Micro at 55, and though it doesn't last long, it's cheap and pretty high on my list.

I've recently tried Cyber Power at 55 and hated it at first.... but by the end before it broke I was kinda starting to like it. I've recently purchased a reel... and may experiment with it further.

ryohazuki222
03-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Forgot to add that I've tried most of the "similar" frames to the X1 and none of them impressed me. I didn't get a chance to try the 6.0 95 though... But considering that TW stopped carrying them... seems they are now extinct as well.

The only racket that felt to me like it had the "extension of arm" feeling that makes the X1 so awesome was the RDS 001 MP... but for whatever reason I couldnt play with it. Backhands were awesome and felt great, but my forehands were horrible. To this day that's the only racket I just couldn't seem to adjust to.

I did find that I played well with the nblade 98 though. It feels way too light and hollow, though. I eagerly anticipated the kblade tour.... but didn't like it.

Slazenger07
10-26-2009, 04:45 PM

Whatever, your inability to generate topspin is due to your strokes not the X-1. I get crazy topspin with the X-1. Best Racquet Ever. Amazing control/feel on volleys, serves, overheads and ground strokes. Capable of generating serious power as well. It really does feel like an extension of my arm more so than any other racquet Ive played with. Very control oriented, very spin friendly.

Slazenger07
04-06-2010, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=BreakPoint;2193883]I think the X-1 is one of the best racquets made in the past 10 years. Solid, great feel, plenty of power (for me), and swings through the air like a hot knife through butter.

AGREED!!!

Ross K
04-06-2010, 12:40 AM
As mentioned above re possible likeness to Vantage frames...

Have read similar observations in old TT threads I've searched... also worth thinking about is the chief designer at Vantage - Paul - was previously in the same role at Dunlop and Slazenger too.

R.