PDA

View Full Version : HPS 6.1 (EU 18x20)

Ross K
03-25-2008, 11:37 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u291/RRohan/f3ec_1.jpg

Played with this interesting rod the other day (and with v/good results too.) I've used the word 'eccentric' to describe it in another thread. Here's why:

. it was so good for 1hbh I found myself playing quite a bit of this (I'm 2hbh!)

. I've had a sore arm ever since (yet I haven't had any probs when using its older, heavier 'daddy' - the PSC 6.1)

. it produces major, major Nadal-like, APD-like topspin on the fh... although:

. I hit short quite often (ie, had probs sometimes with getting depth... it actually turned me into one of those dreaded 'pushers'!... )

. the frame swung absolutely great and my game really improved in terms of maneuverability (big advance on my weighty PSC)

. very cute on low and unexpected angles

. good for touch and volleys, etc

. unlike with my PSC, on serve you have to produce the racket head speed to whip into the ball to produce the results (with the PSC it's so heavy the motion is less fluid - for me anyway)... I kind of liked this!

So... I just wondered if anyone else has experience of, what for me, is a pretty quirky frame... what do you ppl think of it?

BTW, Due to both the advancement in terms of maneuverability, plus also due to its eccentric nature, I really competed well with a guy who usually beats me... hmmm...

theone
03-26-2008, 05:20 AM
I loved it in almost every way though I can see it can be demanding if you don't have the swingspeed or hit the ball cleanly. If you get the weight moving you can produce a seriously heavy ball. I would take the Yonex RD7 over it any day though. Same headsize and similar weight but slightly more forgiving, more power, and the feel blows the prostaffs away.

jorel
03-26-2008, 05:23 AM
to me it felt like a more forgiving 6.0 85

even more so than the K90

basil J
03-26-2008, 05:48 AM
Anybody know where you still get these in the US?

Bengt
03-26-2008, 05:54 AM
Are you sure the PSC 6.1 is heavier? This thing is a beast. I know it's heavier than the US HPS 6.1. It's a nice racquet with great plow-thru, but it's too heavy for me.

With that being said, I've got a used one that I wouldn't mind getting rid of since I can't use it. I can email pics.

jorel
03-26-2008, 06:13 AM

check out the kfactor 95 18x20 6.1 offering at TW

Granvilee has switched to it from the HPS 6.1 Euro

Ross K
03-26-2008, 06:37 AM
Are you sure the PSC 6.1 is heavier?

Some of the stats I've got on the HPS 6.1 18x210 EU model are... W: 12.04... SW: 332... S: 68...

My PSC 6.1 18x20 EU model... W: 12.06... SW: 326... S: 72...

Just in terms of how it feels, my PSC is considerably heavier and moves slower through the air. The HPS is like rapier-fast in comparison. Additionally, the PSC has a (wonderful) stability and rock-face solidity that isn't equalled by the HPS (not that it isn't stable - it is - but not the same ultra-mega-super-stable feel of the PSC.)

R.

odyssey
03-26-2008, 09:15 AM
How is it compared to 16x18 version??
Is it (18x20) better in all of departments??

I have two 16x18 versions, and just curious.

AndrewD
03-26-2008, 12:19 PM

I don't know of anywhere in the US that sells the HPS but I do know of an on-line store in Canada that has them.

Ross K
03-26-2008, 02:16 PM

Sorry. I'm only familiar with the 18x20 model.

rosenstar
03-26-2008, 04:12 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u291/RRohan/f3ec_1.jpg

Played with this interesting rod the other day (and with v/good results too.) I've used the word 'eccentric' to describe it in another thread. Here's why:

. it was so good for 1hbh I found myself playing quite a bit of this (I'm 2hbh!)

. I've had a sore arm ever since (yet I haven't had any probs when using its older, heavier 'daddy' - the PSC 6.1)

. it produces major, major Nadal-like, APD-like topspin on the fh... although:

. I hit short quite often (ie, had probs sometimes with getting depth... it actually turned me into one of those dreaded 'pushers'!... )

. the frame swung absolutely great and my game really improved in terms of maneuverability (big advance on my weighty PSC)

. very cute on low and unexpected angles

. good for touch and volleys, etc

. unlike with my PSC, on serve you have to produce the racket head speed to whip into the ball to produce the results (with the PSC it's so heavy the motion is less fluid - for me anyway)... I kind of liked this!

So... I just wondered if anyone else has experience of, what for me, is a pretty quirky frame... what do you ppl think of it?

BTW, Due to both the advancement in terms of maneuverability, plus also due to its eccentric nature, I really competed well with a guy who usually beats me... hmmm...

Have a friend who plays with it. Ever since he's got it he's been hitting crazy drop volleys and had a bit of a sore arm. I believe that's due to the tight string pattern on a stiff racquet. He's a solid player, He'll be playing D1 at a small school next year. I believe this is also the racquet Tsonga uses under a pj (don't know for sure though). Anyways we play together a lot and our pro got them from our coach who recieved them from the coach from his college teams. My buddy's trying to find another 1 or 2 for when he goes away to college, but has had no luck thus far.

This is a good frame for sure. I didn't particularly like it though. The best way to describe it (IMO) is to say that It felt like an N95 with an 18x20 string pattern, that was loaded up with lead tape in the throat. Again, not the frame for me, but definitely a solid choice for anyone looking for a "players racquet"

rosenstar
03-26-2008, 04:19 PM

Two completely different frames. no comparison. the 18x20 version's unstrung weight heavy than the 16x18 version's strung weight. The 18x20 is soft, almost mushy, but incredibley stable. great for every shot, providing you can handle the weight. Sweetspot is about the same as any of the other recent wilson 95's.

I haven't played with the 16x18 in a year or two, so I can't comment on it in depth.

Ross K
03-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Have a friend who plays with it. Ever since he's got it he's been hitting crazy drop volleys and had a bit of a sore arm. I believe that's due to the tight string pattern on a stiff racquet. He's a solid player, He'll be playing D1 at a small school next year. I believe this is also the racquet Tsonga uses under a pj (don't know for sure though). Anyways we play together a lot and our pro got them from our coach who recieved them from the coach from his college teams. My buddy's trying to find another 1 or 2 for when he goes away to college, but has had no luck thus far.

This is a good frame for sure. I didn't particularly like it though. The best way to describe it (IMO) is to say that It felt like an N95 with an 18x20 string pattern, that was loaded up with lead tape in the throat. Again, not the frame for me, but definitely a solid choice for anyone looking for a "players racquet"

V/interesting comments rosenstar - especially about the frame stiffness/sore arm issue and playing droppers (same experience as me), and how you'd compare it to a leaded up n95 18x20. For me, what it lacks most is the ability to crack the ball hard, powerful and deep (I'm kind of talking 'heavy ball'.) This certainly isn't an issue with it's 'daddy', the PSC 6.1.

rosenstar
03-27-2008, 05:15 PM
V/interesting comments rosenstar - especially about the frame stiffness/sore arm issue and playing droppers (same experience as me), and how you'd compare it to a leaded up n95 18x20. For me, what it lacks most is the ability to crack the ball hard, powerful and deep (I'm kind of talking 'heavy ball'.) This certainly isn't an issue with it's 'daddy', the PSC 6.1.

I understand and agree with what your saying. especially regarding how you cannot "crack" the ball. I think that's because it's such a heavy frame and because of the way it's weighted and balanced. Over 13oz strung, and so HL.

brownbearfalling
03-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I am selling 2 of these with a 4 1/2 grip size. There's a posting in the Classifieds.

I think these rackets played a lot like the ncode 95's and less but a little like the k factors. These are great rackets for those who still like the 95 sq in. Everything is 98 and 100 now. 95 is fading out.

But I had a very hard time looking for the standard versions of this racket. I knew plenty of people who played with the extended 27.5" version.
________
TOP PENNY STOCKS (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

Ross K
03-27-2008, 10:56 PM
I understand and agree with what your saying. especially regarding how you cannot "crack" the ball. I think that's because it's such a heavy frame and because of the way it's weighted and balanced. Over 13oz strung, and so HL.

Here's my exact stats... I don't make that over 13oz strung...?

WILSON HYPER PRO-STAFF 6.1 TENNIS RACKET

Stringing pattern model 18 x 20

Swing Style: fast/long

Head Size: 95 in sq

Weight (unstrung): 333g

Length: 27 inches

Cross Section: 22mm Flat Beam

Grip Size: 3 (4 3/8)

rosenstar
03-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Here's my exact stats... I don't make that over 13oz strung...?

WILSON HYPER PRO-STAFF 6.1 TENNIS RACKET

Stringing pattern model 18 x 20

Swing Style: fast/long

Head Size: 95 in sq

Weight (unstrung): 333g

Length: 27 inches

Cross Section: 22mm Flat Beam

Grip Size: 3 (4 3/8)

hmm... you sure those stats are right? My friend weighted his frame (some synthetic wilson grip and a rubberband dampner with wilson superspin) and bearly hit 13oz.