PDA

View Full Version : Fitting CAP grommets to a radical

Welsh Wizard
03-26-2008, 01:48 AM
I know there a lot of threads about the fact that this can be done, but I really need help as to how!?!

I have the correct iPrestige XL mid grommets (the ones where the CAP bit doesn't go all the way to the throat) and a microgel radical midplus. I have tried fitting them and get most of the way there but can't get it all the way in as it were. Am I doing something wrong. :?

I've tried it on a friend's liquidmetal and iRadical (having seen pics of it done) and had the same result. I know the bottom one (5 & 7 o'clock) are supposed to come up a little short but I just can't seem to get all the grommets in at the same time.

Is there a knack or something (top down, etc)?

Please help, with pics if possible. Can this even be done on a microgel radical?

Deuce
03-26-2008, 02:21 AM
Use an awl.

almerickso
03-26-2008, 03:56 AM
you can heat up the grommets using a hair drier then use a string to guide it thru the hole, i would think its better to start bottom up as it's got the longest grommets

almerickso
03-26-2008, 03:56 AM
oh btw, do post ur results, i'm planning on CAPing an MG Rad as well :D

Welsh Wizard
03-26-2008, 04:06 AM
Use an awl.

Thanks. Have tried that. Should I be fitting them a certain way? Top down/Bottom up?

uk_skippy
03-26-2008, 04:55 AM
Thanks. Have tried that. Should I be fitting them a certain way? Top down/Bottom up?

Start at the throat and work towards the top. Also use an awl like Deuce says. You can also try heating them with a hairdryer or heat gun, or placing them in hot water; also try rolling them on a (carpetted) floor while pressing down on the frame. Once you've got one in hold it in place at the top with either a cable tie, or sticky tape.

Regards

Paul

Welsh Wizard
03-26-2008, 05:02 AM
Start at the throat and work towards the top. Also use an awl like Deuce says. You can also try heating them with a hairdryer or heat gun, or placing them in hot water; also try rolling them on a (carpetted) floor while pressing down on the frame. Once you've got one in hold it in place at the top with either a cable tie, or sticky tape.

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul. I'll give that a try. Hopefully see you at Wimby this year.

Cheers, Huw.

gerli
03-26-2008, 05:13 AM
If you have iprestige xl mid gromments, they will never fit in a microgel radical midplus.
You have to use grommets from a iprestige xl midplus because the head size is different.

Welsh Wizard
03-26-2008, 05:16 AM
If you have iprestige xl mid gromments, they will never fit in a microgel radical midplus.
You have to use grommets from a iprestige xl midplus because the head size is different.

Sorry, I did mean midplus. Thinking quicker than I can type!

mattyc
03-26-2008, 06:32 AM
use prestige microgel caps, work much better

Deuce
03-26-2008, 09:57 PM
I highly doubt it.
Both racquets are the same head size, string pattern, and drill pattern.
The only possible difference could be that one racquet has a slightly thicker beam width than the other. But that will in no way affect the ease of putting the grommets in the racquet.
In the case that one frame's beam width is slightly thicker than the other's, one set of grommets might be slightly shorter than the other set. This problem can be easily fixed with inexpensive tubing (which everyone should own).

Welsh Wizard
04-01-2008, 05:38 AM
In case anyone is interested, over the weekend I finally managed to achieve this. I found the heat gun method to be best along with using an awl to guide some of them in where necessary. A couple of them are a little "short" but it is nothing that a little tubing couldn't rectify next time around - or perhaps a fresh grommet strip that I hadn't already tried to do this with several times :-?

I got round the throat ones being too short by essentially cutting the bottom 2-3 grommets from the CAP and using the bottom 2-3 grommets of the original strip. Once the strings are in these merge like a charm.

Will be playing with it tonight to see the difference in playability (if any). If anyone wants me to post pics I will, but I just wanted to perhaps put some closure on this thread should anyone have suffered the same problem as me! :)

Welsh Wizard
04-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Sorry, also should have said a big "Thank You" to everyone who offered me help on this subject. Much appreciated!

:)

Bud
04-01-2008, 01:15 PM

Have you tried it with the MG CAPs? Is it easier?

AlpineCadet
06-15-2008, 01:57 PM
In case anyone is interested, over the weekend I finally managed to achieve this. I found the heat gun method to be best along with using an awl to guide some of them in where necessary. A couple of them are a little "short" but it is nothing that a little tubing couldn't rectify next time around - or perhaps a fresh grommet strip that I hadn't already tried to do this with several times :-?

I got round the throat ones being too short by essentially cutting the bottom 2-3 grommets from the CAP and using the bottom 2-3 grommets of the original strip. Once the strings are in these merge like a charm.

Will be playing with it tonight to see the difference in playability (if any). If anyone wants me to post pics I will, but I just wanted to perhaps put some closure on this thread should anyone have suffered the same problem as me! :)
So what were the results like? ;) Did you start the installation from the throat or from 12 o'clock? How long did the installation take? Do you have any tips/tricks you can recommend? Thank you.