PDA

View Full Version : Fake racquets - more common than one might think?

Frankan
03-26-2008, 04:13 AM
I'm talking about "fake" racquets that are actually made in the same factories as the "originals", but produced and sold under the counter. Thus, they're not really fake but not really legit either. I wonder how common these racquets are on the market, since I've been seeing so many cheap, brand new racquets being sold from **** vendors. Particularly Dunlops, like brand new Aerogel 500 Tour for 32 Euros (less than 50 bucks), or a buttload of Dunlop French Open racquets often selling for less than 20 Euros (I have gotten two myself, and they play and look great!). What do the other members think about this, I'm very curious....

bertrevert
03-26-2008, 04:31 AM
this Aust website page points up the problem

www. tennis warehouse . com . au/store/racquets/fake-racquets.html

(take out the spaces)

saram
03-26-2008, 05:51 AM
So you are asking about legit sticks that are not sold via legit vendors? Or, are you talking about pure imitation sticks sold on the bay and other various places?

LPShanet
03-26-2008, 07:53 AM
So you are asking about legit sticks that are not sold via legit vendors? Or, are you talking about pure imitation sticks sold on the bay and other various places?

It appears he's talking about frames made by the same factories in China, but sold directly from the factories illegally, rather than through the company who owns the rights and "manufactures" them.

Frankan
03-26-2008, 08:08 AM
LPShanet, that's what I'm talking about. So maybe the headline is a little bit misleading... I'm talking about exact replicas/clones, most likely made in the very same factories... Wondering if anyone on here might have similar thoughts.

LPShanet
03-26-2008, 03:16 PM
LPShanet, that's what I'm talking about. So maybe the headline is a little bit misleading... I'm talking about exact replicas/clones, most likely made in the very same factories... Wondering if anyone on here might have similar thoughts.

I don't know how widespread this is, but it does happen, and not just with tennis racquets. Unfortunately, China lags behind many places in the world in terms of legislation and enforcement of laws relating to brands, rights, copyright, fraud, etc. As a result, many factories will take the molds used for the real racquets and make their own fakes, which they sell at greatly reduced cost. While the molds may be the same, the racquets often have inferior materials, and are finished with inferior paint jobs, grips, fillers, accessories, etc. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure it's still less common than outright counterfeiting by other factories, though.

string70
03-26-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm talking about "fake" racquets that are actually made in the same factories as the "originals", but produced and sold under the counter. Thus, they're not really fake but not really legit either. I wonder how common these racquets are on the market, since I've been seeing so many cheap, brand new racquets being sold from **** vendors. Particularly Dunlops, like brand new Aerogel 500 Tour for 32 Euros (less than 50 bucks), or a buttload of Dunlop French Open racquets often selling for less than 20 Euros (I have gotten two myself, and they play and look great!). What do the other members think about this, I'm very curious....

Always a problem with Chinese manufacturing.:oops: