PDA

View Full Version : String differences

bpb1brou
03-26-2008, 06:03 AM
Does anybody know the difference in the 2 strings like a typical Synthetic Gut and Wilson Sensation? As far as playability, holding tension, responsiveness, durability, etc. or any other characteristics. Thanks.

origmarm
03-26-2008, 06:12 AM
You should read this:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=184942
It will help you a lot I think

fuzz nation
03-26-2008, 06:35 AM
In general, I prefer a syn gut in a stiffer frame with more pop. It gives me some power, but that type of string has moderate relilience so it's less likely to turn a powerful frame into a slingshot compared to a multifiber like the Sensation. I also like a thinner gauge (17) for better feel even though a thicker gauge will typically have a little more durability. Usually the syn gut has some extra durability in comparison to a multifiber in the same gauge that is worked under the same conditions.

A more flexible racquet with less inherent pop to it matches up really well for me with a livelier multifiber, but the feel is typically softer than a syn gut. If you prefer a nice crisp pop, that usually comes from a synthetic, but some multi's have more backbone than others. In my experience, Sensation plays a bit softer than Tecnifibre Biphase, but feel is largely subjective and is usually dialed in through trial and error.

Like racquets, strings aren't good or bad on their own. Some match up with certain racquets better than others and their behaviors can really change with differing tensions. I usually perceive more of a tension drop after initial stringing in multi's, but once they settle in, I usually enjoy them until they break. Synthtics are usually better for me when they are fresh and they seem to have good service life, but when my brain is convinced that a set has gone dead on me, I restring it even if it's not broken.

LPShanet
03-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Does anybody know the difference in the 2 strings like a typical Synthetic Gut and Wilson Sensation? As far as playability, holding tension, responsiveness, durability, etc. or any other characteristics. Thanks.

Compared to a typical synthetic gut (say, PSG), Wilson Sensation plays a bit softer on the arm and more flexible/powerful. It also loses tension slightly faster, but has more feel and is more responsive. Durability is in the same general range, though individuals find different things.