PDA

View Full Version : how is it possible that new skool players coming through are using paint jobbed.....

mattyc
03-26-2008, 09:33 AM
I think it is really strange that young new players such as Donald Young are using really old frames such as the original prestige frame. Before these guys even had sponsorship they were obviously playing with the current player's frames for their generation such as liquid metal or something like that.

Head would never advise them to play with these old sticks, so i am guessing that they jut do it coz the older tour players do it.

To me it makes no sense playing with a stick you did not use when u were "learning ur trade" just because it is the frame lots of older people use.

JediMindTrick
03-26-2008, 11:04 AM
It seems that Head is giving them the old sticks. Goes to show what Head think about their new sticks.

VGP
03-26-2008, 11:10 AM
or......they tried the older frames and decided that they were better for their games.

Maybe they just like the feel/power/control/heft/etc. that the older frames provide.

Head would let them use whatever they wanted as long as they can make them available and have their branding on them.

Did you read that article about Ljubicic going to the HEADquarters and them custom making frames for him until they got one that he liked?

They can obviously either make one for their players from the ground up or they can just pj older frames if the player so desires.....

jazar
03-26-2008, 11:33 AM
i think donald young just wants to fit in and is using an old racket to be accepted

Ross K
03-26-2008, 12:12 PM
I thought Donald Young (as well as a few others) was actually using the new MG PP?

string70
03-26-2008, 01:07 PM
I think it is really strange that young new players such as Donald Young are using really old frames such as the original prestige frame. Before these guys even had sponsorship they were obviously playing with the current player's frames for their generation such as liquid metal or something like that.

Head would never advise them to play with these old sticks, so i am guessing that they jut do it coz the older tour players do it.

To me it makes no sense playing with a stick you did not use when u were "learning ur trade" just because it is the frame lots of older people use.

As a washed, overweight player I have a hard time finding a current design racket that works, imagine top level guys playing with this crap.

chee
05-27-2008, 07:13 PM
donald's racket is soo tight lookin, with the white grip and all...

Dave M
05-28-2008, 05:45 AM
Head would never advise them to play with these old sticks,
Why wouldn't they?Or i wonder if maybe some of the younger players borrowed players sticks when they were first hitting with them at colleges/camps etc and like them more than what they had?

Blade0324
05-28-2008, 06:08 AM
I really have to agree with the basic premice of the OP. I personally do not like these older frames PC600 PS85/90 etc. I do not think that they play as well as newer frames do and I feel that they are too soft feeling and not crisp enough. This is why I agree with the OP on why young players that did not grow up playing with older frames are going to them. I guess to each his own but my suspicion is this. It not that these players are actually playing with PJ PC600, PT630/280 etc. but frames that are from these molds but customized to the specs that the player likes. (Flex, weight, balance) They may resemble the older frames and have similar materials for construction but each players frame is going to be unique to them.

Bubba
05-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Tour and aspiring players play with sticks that suit their game and that they feel give them the best chance to make a living at playing competitive tennis. Who really cares what they use? Play what works for you.

raiden031
05-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Tour and aspiring players play with sticks that suit their game and that they feel give them the best chance to make a living at playing competitive tennis. Who really cares what they use? Play what works for you.

I think its rediculous that the OP would suggest Donald Young would choose his racquet to be cool rather than to help him win matches when there is so much at stakes. I mean his career and financial future is at stake.

CGMemphis
05-28-2008, 07:24 AM

Why wouldnt Head do that? Companies have molds of all their racquets. They want his name on their contracts, playing their products. Thats why they advice them to play whatever they can get in their hands.

babolatking
05-28-2008, 07:55 AM
I thought Donald Young (as well as a few others) was actually using the new MG PP?

I thought he was using a MG Radical??? did he switch??? He had all that Bosworth stuff and then got resigned??

nickb
05-28-2008, 10:15 AM
He is using a paintjob...do a search.

jazar
05-28-2008, 11:32 AM
they're just trying to fit in

0d1n
05-28-2008, 11:39 AM
"New school players" are still 20 years old ... and started playing tennis at least 15 years ago ... which means they actually grew up using the "old school" frames you mention.

Nellie
05-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Also, pros have different needs - namely to practice for hours each day without getting injured. Most people likely want to maximize performance, given a limited amount of play time.

Mansewerz
05-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Hey, did you shoot a video of your serves at the French Open yet? You mentioned you would be a hitting partner for your junior friend there.

LPShanet
05-28-2008, 01:23 PM
"New school players" are still 20 years old ... and started playing tennis at least 15 years ago ... which means they actually grew up using the "old school" frames you mention.

This is a very good point. Also, it's worth noting that once they get good enough to get racquets from Head's Pro Room, they are usually offered frames based on one of a few molds, all of which are fairly old. This is because the pro room is connected to the Austrian factory, where they don't make any of the current production racquets. They don't have the new layup materials or molds and there isn't that much demand for the new versions by the pros whose needs dominate the program. However, most important is that the frames really aren't THAT different in terms of technology. Despite what marketers will have you think, the technology of tennis racquets really hasn't changed a lot in the last 15-20 years. Even many of Head's new frames are based on old molds. So, in a nutshell, Head's pro room players are being given customized racquets based on one of several existing molds and layups that they use at that facility. If they want to play with an actual current production frame, they have to use a stock frame and have it modified after-market (by Head or by a customizer, such as RPNY, Priority One, etc.)