PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a Racquet

pokefan
03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
I am currently playing with a Wilson nCode 6.1 (16x19) and am looking for a racquet that will be slightly lighter and slightly more powerful. I am thinking that I would still like to stay around 11+ ounces and don't want to sacrifice too much control. I also want something with a bigger sweet spot. I would like the balance to be about the same as the 6.1 (maybe a little more balanced). From past experience I prefer Wilson racquets with Prince a close second, but am open to trying other brands. I have been considering trying the kBlade 98. Would that be a good choice? Is there another racquet that I should give a try?

zidane339
03-26-2008, 04:03 PM
I like Babolats like Pure Drive and Aeropro Drives, athough they're a huge step away from the Ncode 6.1..but they have huge sweet spots and pretty light, just 11 oz.

Not sure what type of a game you have so just a suggestion based on my experiences.

pokefan
03-26-2008, 05:30 PM
I would say I am mainly a baseliner, but I do play a fair amount of doubles, so net play is important. In the past, I have hit with the Pure Drive and thought it was too powerful and I had trouble keeping the ball in. I have never tried the Aeropro. Thanks for the suggestion though.

eric892
03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Try Prince 03 White.

AndrewD
03-26-2008, 10:53 PM
pokefan,

Think I understand what you're looking for (I'm after something close) but I honestly can't think of one solid alternative.

If you want more power than the nSix-One 95 ( 16x18 ), you'll either need to increase weight, stiffness or head size. Given that you don't want to sacrifice much in the way of control it might be a smarter idea to look for a similar power level to the Wilson and either drop tension or use a more lively string. Second problem (biggest one for me) is keeping the same balance. There just aren't many racquets that are 8pts HL or more and will give you a larger sweetspot and more power than your Wilson. The best option, in my opinion, is the Yonex RDS-001 MP at 8pts HL, 11.7oz, 68 flex (about the same as the Wilson). Swings easier than the n6.1 and has a much larger sweetspot, as you'd hope with a 98sq head size.

The kBlade 98 you mentioned has an 18x20 string pattern so you lose some power there but pick up control. However, it's only just over 11oz and moderate flex. End result is you'd have a lighter racquet that had more feel/touch/comfort than the nSix-One 95 but quite a bit less power - not to mention that it's only 3-4pts HL.