PDA

View Full Version : Continental grip forehand? (Video included)

tenn23
03-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Hi,

I was watching this video (not me): http://youtube.com/watch?v=OKZS8lYACdI

And noticed that his forehand is interesting. Is that a continental grip? If so, I never knew it could that powerful. He must have a strong wrist right? I am going to try this out.

quicken
03-26-2008, 06:26 PM
That looks way more painful than the hawaiian grip... Oh lord...

Rickson
03-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi,

And noticed that his forehand is interesting. Is that a continental grip? If so, I never knew it could that powerful. He must have a strong wrist right? I am going to try this out.

That looks like an eastern.

That was one creepy looking court with those stone walls.

CantBeBeat2
03-26-2008, 06:35 PM
That looks like an eastern.

That was one creepy looking court with those stone walls.

looks like a weird place to play but good player nonetheless...

BeHappy
03-26-2008, 06:39 PM
that's an eastern grip, he has his wrist locked striahgt.

If you turn the sound down you will see how incredibly weak that forehand is, good racquet head speed, if relaxed his wrist and allowed it to lay back he'd have a good forehand.

tenn23
03-26-2008, 06:46 PM
BeHappy what do you mean by laid back? Do you mean like in a SW or W grip where the string bed faces the ground?

quicken
03-26-2008, 06:47 PM
that's an eastern grip, he has his wrist locked striahgt.

If you turn the sound down you will see how incredibly weak that forehand is, good racquet head speed, if relaxed his wrist and allowed it to lay back he'd have a good forehand.

Here is a question, do you want to lock your wrist? Because I tend to lead my FH with buttcap of the racquet facing the net and that kind of forces my wrist to be relaxed and I gotta say a bit flobby.

BeHappy
03-26-2008, 06:48 PM
BeHappy what do you mean by laid back? Do you mean like in a SW or W grip where the string bed faces the ground?

no, I mean your wrist should be laid back, it should be at a 90 degree angle to your forearm.His hand and arm make a straight line, there should be a 90 degree bend between the 2.

It's a very good example of plateuing because of bad technique.

Which is unfortunate becuase he obviously has serious talent.

NLBwell
03-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Not a Continental. Pretty bizzare forehand.

Also, no reason a continental grip would hit softer than any other grip. Hardest hit balls are flat and continental grip is good for flat hitting. Topspin is easier to get with SW and Western grips. The reason people hit topspin is because it gives you more margin for error (you can hit hard and still get the ball in), not because of higher velocity on the ball. Nadal and Roddick have had problems on hard courts with not penetrating through the court because of too much topspin (Roddick may be changing this).

Rickson
03-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I'll tell you this much, Liran has one ugly serve!

Liran's ugly *** serve (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICCXL6kO79U&feature=related)

quicken
03-26-2008, 07:29 PM

Liran's ugly *** serve (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICCXL6kO79U&feature=related)

That's one girly *** serve.

kungfusmkim
03-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Looks like a djokovic imitation quality backing swing... But what ever works for him

Mansewerz
03-26-2008, 07:37 PM
wat is hawaiian grip

kungfusmkim
03-26-2008, 07:41 PM
His motion are into mechanical piecs it doesnt look flowy like federer's its more like a robot forehand where its broken down to segments it would be very easy to copy since.

quicken
03-26-2008, 08:22 PM
wat is hawaiian grip

extreme western grip.

mucat
03-26-2008, 08:41 PM

What the...strange thing is he is not a bad player...

split-step
03-26-2008, 08:50 PM
His forehand grip looks continental to me.

I can tell from the video where he plays points. The grip he serves with is the same grip he hits his forehand with.
At the point that starts at 45 secs the grip he serves with is the same as his forehand and the same grip he hits the overhead with in the same point.

Nellie
03-27-2008, 07:56 AM

my thoughts exactly. He looks like someone who never played outside as a kid, because that motion is so unathletic. Otherwise, I would say he looks like a righty showing off his lefty serve, because the weight shift is backwards.

Nellie
03-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Hi,

It reminds me of John McConroe's forehand. Essentially old school eastern grip with a contact point behind the body.

user92626
03-27-2008, 08:22 AM
no, I mean your wrist should be laid back, it should be at a 90 degree angle to your forearm.His hand and arm make a straight line, there should be a 90 degree bend between the 2.

BeHappy,

I don't mean to be nitpicking but isn't 90 degree (perfect square angle) a bit extreme? It could be hurting the wrist. I would say anywhere roughly within 110 - 135 is the wrist natural state.

:)

BeHappy
03-27-2008, 03:33 PM
BeHappy,

I don't mean to be nitpicking but isn't 90 degree (perfect square angle) a bit extreme? It could be hurting the wrist. I would say anywhere roughly within 110 - 135 is the wrist natural state.

:)

I've seen 90 degrees, but yes you're right, I typed that in a hurry, the wrist should be relaxed and should fall back naturally, and the degree to which it falls back varies slightly from person to person.You should focus on the relaxation aspect and it will happen naturally, you won't even be aware of it.If you hold the handle in a ''death grip'' your wrist won't lay back.

His forehand looks very like stefan edberg's now that I think of it.

Bungalo Bill
03-27-2008, 04:03 PM

My god, here we go again.

Some players using an Eastern forehand will have a more locked wrist. It is because the elbow, the forearm, and the hand/wrist area do not have a natural way to stay in sync during the execution of the stroke as the SW grip does.

It is a common technique amongst eastern forehand players to bring the hand back and turn it downward to sync the hand wrist area with the forearm/elbow.

BeHappy
03-27-2008, 04:10 PM
My god, here we go again.

Some players using an Eastern forehand will have a more locked wrist. It is because the elbow, the forearm, and the hand/wrist area do not have a natural way to stay in sync during the execution of the stroke as the SW grip does.

It is a common technique amongst eastern forehand players to bring the hand back and turn it downward to sync the hand wrist area with the forearm/elbow.

Yeah, they're forced to do so because of their grip, that grip is a half eastern half continental grip, that is to say, the hand isn't entirely behind the handle, (which is an eastern grip), or on top,(which is a weak backhand grip).That grip is too weak to be used on an effective forehand and will limityour potential.If your hand is at all on top of the grip as opposed to behind it, (which is the modern eastern forehand grip, eg, Sampras'), you're going to have pretty funky technique and the ball isn't going to move very fast.

Bungalo Bill
03-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah, they're forced to do so because of their grip, that grip is a half eastern half continental grip, that is to say, the hand isn't entirely behind the handle, (which is an eastern grip), or on top,(which is a weak backhand grip).That grip is too weak to be used on an effective forehand and will limityour potential.If your hand is at all on top of the grip as opposed to behind it, (which is the modern eastern forehand grip, eg, Sampras'), you're going to have pretty funky technique and the ball isn't going to move very fast.

BeHappy,

Are you really trying? There is plenty of power in the Eastern forehand grip.

I used to hit with one before moving to an inbetween grip (Eastern/SW). The wrist still can be loosened by simply relaxing the hand a bit more to get more elasticity in the wrist.

Although I teach the SW because of its sync characteristics, the Eastern forehand grip is stll a good grip for club players.

Most club players do not hit with radical topspin so the Eastern is still a viable grip. Plus, a lot of club players play doubles where the Eastern can be used as well.

BeHappy
03-27-2008, 04:30 PM
BeHappy,

Are you really trying? There is plenty of power in the Eastern forehand grip.

I used to hit with one before moving to an inbetween grip (Eastern/SW). The wrist still can be loosened by simply relaxing the hand a bit more to get more elasticity in the wrist.

Although I teach the SW because of its sync characteristics, the Eastern forehand grip is stll a good grip for club players.

Most club players do not hit with radical topspin so the Eastern is still a viable grip. Plus, a lot of club players play doubles where the Eastern can be used as well.

WOW

I never said that there was no power in the Eastern grip!!!!!!!

Read my post, I said there was no power in a grip that lies halfway between eastern and continental.

I don't know where you got that from BB...

paulfreda
03-27-2008, 05:53 PM
BB would still be right if he were talking about a continental IMO. There is plenty of power if you have the right technique for that grip.
Try it. Let the ball come back to your back hip rather than hitting out front where a laid back wrist is needed. With no layback and a square stance, put your hitting elbow behind you. The frame should be parallel to the court and racquet tip pointing to the side fence. Now just whip the tip toward the target. This is a flat shot so accuracy and thus practice is needed. Great shot for when you are late. And you can hit this same shot with a SW grip with a little adjustment of stringbed angle to the court.

==============
Edit in ....
Sorry .. I got way off topic of this video and the player's technique.
It is very very strange. I am watching it very slo mo with VLC player and it appears to me he is hitting a kind of Hawaiian motion. I can see that at the very last moment as he brings the strings forward he hits with the other side of the strings. Very unusual technique but it looks terribly effective.
His grip is not EasternFH. Stop motion shows it to be either Western [inverted EasternBH] or Strong SW. What is so unusual is that he keeps the frame in line with his arm for so long. Hitting with the other side of the strings usually is easier if you coc_k the wrist.
Also would love to see how he handles a high ball; he must change technique but we do not see that in this long video.
Interesting and unique style.

Solat
03-27-2008, 09:12 PM
it would be nice to see him play against someone who hits the ball past the service line and actually makes an attempt at chasing a ball down

split-step
03-27-2008, 09:15 PM
lol

10 char

FedererISBetter
03-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Wow, some harsh critiques we got here.... 3.5 tops?

Bungalo Bill
03-28-2008, 06:51 AM
BB would still be right if he were talking about a continental IMO. There is plenty of power if you have the right technique for that grip.
Try it. Let the ball come back to your back hip rather than hitting out front where a laid back wrist is needed. With no layback and a square stance, put your hitting elbow behind you. The frame should be parallel to the court and racquet tip pointing to the side fence. Now just whip the tip toward the target. This is a flat shot so accuracy and thus practice is needed. Great shot for when you are late. And you can hit this same shot with a SW grip with a little adjustment of stringbed angle to the court.

You are correct. I think maybe BeHappy should actually try it to learn.

Rickson
03-28-2008, 06:52 AM
So is it an eastern or a continental?

Rafael_Nadal_6257
03-28-2008, 02:15 PM

==============
Edit in ....
Sorry .. I got way off topic of this video and the player's technique.
It is very very strange. I am watching it very slo mo with VLC player and it appears to me he is hitting a kind of Hawaiian motion. I can see that at the very last moment as he brings the strings forward he hits with the other side of the strings. Very unusual technique but it looks terribly effective.
His grip is not EasternFH. Stop motion shows it to be either Western [inverted EasternBH] or Strong SW. What is so unusual is that he keeps the frame in line with his arm for so long. Hitting with the other side of the strings usually is easier if you coc_k the wrist.
Also would love to see how he handles a high ball; he must change technique but we do not see that in this long video.
Interesting and unique style.

Looks like this guy analyzed it in slow motion, and thought it was a more extreme grip like a western or strong semi-western. He says that the guy is basically taking it back and swinging it forward with one side, then right before contact, he flips sides and even though it looks like a continental, its a Hawaiian grip...Can anyone confirm this?

Because to me at first glance, it definitely looks like he's using the top of the grip or a continental.

But to me its hard to tell, because he has good racket head speed and its possible that he does flip sides, and he seems to also get good topspin.

Also if he does use a continental grip, everything about his motion suggests TOPSPIN, the complete opposite of what you expect of a continental. Additionally, he never tries to slice or hit flat, just topspin.

If you did not see the grip or did not know about it, his forehand looks completely like its built for a ton of topspin and pace; he does not hit straight through the ball, he swings for topspin, he lays his wrist back during the forward motion, handles high balls well....

Not trying to downgrade the effectiveness of a continental grip, but its just like this guy WANTS to hit topspin, and is using a not very efficient way of doing so...

Any other thoughts?

TennisandMusic
03-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Looks like this guy analyzed it in slow motion, and thought it was a more extreme grip like a western or strong semi-western. He says that the guy is basically taking it back and swinging it forward with one side, then right before contact, he flips sides and even though it looks like a continental, its a Hawaiian grip...Can anyone confirm this?

Because to me at first glance, it definitely looks like he's using the top of the grip or a continental.

But to me its hard to tell, because he has good racket head speed and its possible that he does flip sides, and he seems to also get good topspin.

Also if he does use a continental grip, everything about his motion suggests TOPSPIN, the complete opposite of what you expect of a continental. Additionally, he never tries to slice or hit flat, just topspin.

If you did not see the grip or did not know about it, his forehand looks completely like its built for a ton of topspin and pace; he does not hit straight through the ball, he swings for topspin, he lays his wrist back during the forward motion, handles high balls well....

Not trying to downgrade the effectiveness of a continental grip, but its just like this guy WANTS to hit topspin, and is using a not very efficient way of doing so...

Any other thoughts?

Yes that is exactly what he is doing...on the take back he flips the racquet, so it's like a "hawaiian" grip. Very different...

RestockingTues
03-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Dear God he IS playing a Hawaiian, it's hard to tell from the back but I think it's clear once you see a side shot. This Liran guy looks really promising, but we need to get a video of him actually playing a match. His coach (?) didn’t look like he was trying very hard in the points video, and any fairly accomplished player can rip away at floating feeds. I’m not putting him down, I know I have no chance against this guy but I’d rather see 20+ shot rallies at a decent pace then a video of a guy hitting winners off of feeds.

TennisLover17
03-28-2008, 05:48 PM

lol i thought he had it all until i saw this video

RestockingTues
03-28-2008, 05:55 PM
lol i thought he had it all until i saw this video

Lol he must've had the same coach as Bartoli

Mansewerz
03-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Wait, wtf. Can someone explain how his serve weight transfer is backward??????

Shashwat
03-28-2008, 07:44 PM

I know man, but it looks effective...

boojay
03-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Wow, his forehand looks a lot like this one guy I know. I didn't realize he was using a continental grip, but now I understand why it looks the way it does. It's fairly smooth, but from experience, I would imagine the shot is not very penetrating, or at least, topspin shots wouldn't be. It looks intimidating, but surprisingly weak despite how much effort he's putting into the shot.

raiden031
03-29-2008, 03:23 AM

As soon as I saw that serve, I thought he MUST be gay. No offense to any on the board, but he looks like Djokovic imitating sharapova with that serve. I have never seen anything like that. Unbelievable that his serve looks like that. :)

edberg505
03-29-2008, 10:24 AM
That is so not a continental grip. Being a former user of the continental myself I can assure that he is not using one. Looks more like a western to me if I had to guess.

stirallyracer
03-29-2008, 11:11 AM
the person he is playing is not trying AT ALL.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
03-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Read my post, he is most likely flipping his racket to one side, then back again, so that even though he is probably using an extreme western forehand, it looks like he is using a continental or a modified eastern-backhand.

qtipkorea4u
03-30-2008, 04:13 PM
lol, he does the little Roddick deal (pulling his shirts up) lol

Mansewerz
03-30-2008, 04:24 PM
How is his serve girly looking? Is this in the eyes of 3.5-4.0 players?

EDIT: and can someone explain how his weight transfer on teh serve is backwards?

Solat
03-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Dear God he IS playing a Hawaiian, it's hard to tell from the back but I think it's clear once you see a side shot. This Liran guy looks really promising, but we need to get a video of him actually playing a match. His coach (?) didnít look like he was trying very hard in the points video, and any fairly accomplished player can rip away at floating feeds. Iím not putting him down, I know I have no chance against this guy but Iíd rather see 20+ shot rallies at a decent pace then a video of a guy hitting winners off of feeds.

its so obvious once you look for it, when he accelerates out of the drop he has flipped the racquet geez, i watched it for like 5 minutes last week and never saw it

Vision84
03-31-2008, 08:33 AM
wat is hawaiian grip

One more bevel over from a full Western I believe.